Quettle Senpai notices me

DaraiusDaraius ShevatThe juror's taco spot
edited July 2016 in Event Scrolls
I hesitate to post these logs for fear of jinxing things, but Master Q just makes me giddy. His first chat with Daraius (which was years ago) was deeply formative, so I'm including it here even though I'm sure I've posted it before. My logs are also adjusted for perspective, because I don't like reading things in second person. You can be a fly on the wall instead of pretending to be me!

The Soulless, the Loboshigaru, and the Lotus
(discussion occurred some time before 288 C.E.)

Daraius says, "Tell me again of the Golden Lotus."
Master Quettle says, "Yes, yes, the Golden Lotus. Tosha, the Meditative discovered it high upon the mountaintops here. He entrusted a single bloom to the Monastery's care, and we have kept it safe for a long time."

Master Quettle ponders for a moment and says "Hrm..."
Master Quettle says, "If your quest for enlightenment beckons you, seeker, you can find the Lotus within the Monastery Tombs. You will learn the way down there if you meditate beside the Great Loboshi."

Daraius says, "Master Quettle, can you tell me of Tosha the Meditative?"
Master Quettle says, "Tosha, the Meditative taught us many things, including to temper our minds so we would not enter bloodlust. It is said that our ferocity is what lead the Soulless to find the loboshigaru."

Daraius says, "What do the Soulless have to do with the loboshigaru?"

Daraius's whiskers twitch abruptly.

Master Quettle says, "Mm?"

Master Quettle exclaims, "The Soulless had much to do with the loboshigaru!"

Daraius tilts his head curiously.

"The loboshigaru were hunted by one of them," says Master Quettle, as he studies Daraius from his meditation blanket. "We were a race of energy and power, which brought Their maws upon us."

Daraius flattens his ears against his head.

Master Quettle says, "We hunted in great packs, however, we were ferocious and wild. It is only with Tosha's teachings did we find inner calm."

Master Quettle nods his head slowly as a soft smile appears upon his features.

Daraius asks, "That is what saved us from being hunted?"

Master Quettle says, "Indeed. We drew into ourselves, curbed our instincts. But it is more than mere 'calming down', I would say." Master Quettle pauses for a moment, as if trying to find the right words, "Tosha's teachings were a monastic practice - a mystical experience that cloaked us in some strange way."

Daraius sits himself down.

Master Quettle eyes Daraius carefully as he sits and closes his eyes in meditation.

Sniffing carefully at a radiant pink and gold lotus, Daraius says, "And as for this flower? Were the teachings insufficient for some to overcome their natural, ah... aggression?"

His eyes still closed, Master Quettle says, "Yes, it is so. I am not sure why, perhaps there is something deep and repressed within our inner selves."

Daraius rumbles softly with a low growl.

Master Quettle quickly adds, "The Lotus was found by Tosha and it possessed some unusual calming effects. But the true nature or origin of it is lost, unfortunately."

As Daraius brings his nose closer to a radiant pink and gold lotus, he gives it a delicate sniff and inhales its sweet pollen. As the glittering substance tickles his nose, he lets out a sigh of relief as his body relaxes.

Daraius nods his head in agreement.

"I believe I recall a story of Tosha once making a tea of just the tiniest piece of the Lotus' petal," says the old loboshigaru.

The silence of the monastery is broken by the singing of the crickets.

Daraius swivels his ears towards Master Quettle, listening with rapt attention.

Opening his eyes this time to focus on Daraius's expression, Master Quettle says, "Mmm, yes, it was one of His first followers - one of the first 'monks' of Tosha. He lost his mate..."

Daraius's tail wags slightly, sweeping the floor behind him.

Master Quettle says, "She was murdered, slain not by a Soulless, but something nonetheless evil - her own pack-brother. He went mad with rage."

Master Quettle says, "Tosha knew that the Soulless ones would find the source of such great hate, such great ferality. He distilled only the smallest piece of the Lotus for a brew and gave it to him."

"And like magic, it soothed his spirit - his heart and mind were more receptive." Master Quettle smiles softly again, showing his canine teeth this time. "And thus, the monk's path started once again - aiming for enlightenment."

Daraius nods his head slowly in understanding.

Master Quettle wiggles his rear around, as if he is trying to wag a tail.

Daraius growls softly as he considers the story.

Master Quettle says to Daraius, "Have you found yourself succumbing to rage, pup?"

Daraius becomes suddenly rigid and his fur bristles in agitation.

Master Quettle stares more fixedly at Daraius, his brow creasing at his sudden agitation.

Dutifully brushing down his fur, Daraius says, "No, not in a long, long time."

Daraius says, "It is just troubling to me that we are so prone to it."

Daraius says, "I attempt to live a life of sincerity, but I am at all times denying my nature."

Master Quettle emits a soft growl before murmuring, "Yes, such is our weight to bear."

Master Quettle closes his eyes and bows his head in meditation.

Quietly, Daraius says, "Forgive me if I am interrupting your meditations. Thank you for speaking with me."

Turning the lotus over and over in his paws, Daraius says, "It is a small comfort to know that this is attainable."

"I am glad to speak sometimes," Master Quettle offers with shut-eyes. "It is awfully quiet within the Monastery, save for a handful who beg off the monks."

Daraius nods his head sagely.

Daraius says, "There is a pilgrim who needs this more than I do. I will deliver it to him now."

Showing that he understands, Master Quettle nods his head slowly.

Daraius bows respectfully to Master Quettle.
Master Quettle serenely clasps his hands and bows.

Master Quettle says, "Take care, pup."

Daraius says, "May you be well, Master."

I used to make cakes.

Estarra the Eternal says, "Give Shevat the floor please."

Comments

• DaraiusDaraius Shevat The juror's taco spot
    edited December 2014
    Yessss. I was so excited I didn't ask for any of the important details, but it looks like there's more to come. Lemme tell you it's really tough to play a staid, placid gentleman when you're fangirling hardcore over Master Q. :x
    I used to make cakes.

• You say to Master Quettle, "Greetings, Master Quettle."

Mandibles clicking, you say to Master Quettle, "Last I came here you and Ambassador Shevat were

generous and I repaid that generosity with something insulting."

Master Quettle's ears swivel towards you, listening with rapt attention.

You say to Master Quettle, "I would like to apologize for calling your honoured dead corpses."

With a subtle growl, Master Quettle says, "Did you, kephera? I do not recall anything insulting."

Master Quettle barks a short laugh. "They are certainly corpses, but the spirits of Masters Aylat

and Alilak roam the monastery. I think it was less of an insult than miscommunication."

Master Quettle bares his teeth in an odd canine grin.

Nodding, you say to Master Quettle, "Still I feel I have wronged you and and the Ambassador. I

wished to make peace with myself over the fact and extend my apologies. It gladdens me to know that

you hold no ill will over the matter."

Dipping his muzzle low, Master Quettle says, "That, I understand. The techniques of respect are good

practices. I am glad to know that the kephera do such."

You say, "I have not seen Queen Azus since last I was here but is there anything you would like to

know of the kephera?"

Dakhamunzu's antennae curiously survey the room.

Master Quettle presses a paw against his furry cheek. "Presently," says the old loboshigaru with a

gruff voice, "I am content. Perhaps you, Queen Azus, and the pup could arrange a conversation

someday soon in the monastery."

Master Quettle tilts his head curiously.

Master Quettle says, "Does that sound amenable?"

Beaming behind clicking mandibles, you say, "That sounds lovely Master Quettle."

A contented growl escapes Master Quettle's chest.

Dakhamunzu tilts her head curiously as a thought crosses her mind.

Master Quettle says, "Good, good." Setting his paw back into his lap, the loboshigaru shifts subtly

in his meditative pose. "Yes, kephera?"

You say, "Master Quettle... Ambassador Shevat gifted me with a cookie that I must admit does not

appeal to my tastes. May I pass it on to you?"

You say, "I think it would appeal to yours."

Master Quettle blinks.

Curiously, Master Quettle says, "Oh?"

You give a bone-shaped cookie of roasted hazelnut to Master Quettle.

Master Quettle says, "Many thanks, but a humble monk does not need such things."

Master Quettle bows before you, then hands the item back.

You cough softly.

Barking a cough, Master Quettle says, "Apologies, these old hands."

Master Quettle tenderly rubs his paws.

You say, "Understandable."

Master Quettle sniffs a bone-shaped cookie of roasted hazelnut, trying to deciper just what that

smell emanating from it is.

rom the northeast.

Dakhamunzu watches Master Quettle with curiosity.

You say, "Is it to your tastes?"

Quickly, Master Quettle tosses the cookie into the air, his jaws opening wide to snap it into his

mouth before it descends to the ground.

Master Quettle licks his lips.

Your eyes sparkle with amusement.

You say, "I shall take that as a yes."

You say to Master Quettle, "Quettle I shall arrange something between Queen Azus and the Ambassador. Thank you for you generosity once more."

Master Quettle says, "We will have to make sure the pup brings these along." Pausing for a moment,

himself tilting his head as a thought passes. "Do the kephera drink tea? I am sure some of the

brothers can brew something."

Master Quettle's tail wags happily behind him.

You beam broadly at Master Quettle.

Master Quettle says, "Of course, kephera. I shall hope to hear and see you soon."

You say, "I have a fondness for the beverage."

You say to Master Quettle, "Keep well."

You bow respectfully to Master Quettle.

Master Quettle says, "You also, kephera."

• edited December 2014
    *fans self* His attention is far easier to deal with when focused on someone else.

Edit: Also! Does it really look like this to you? Because that might be a bug/typo.

Dakhamunzu glances at Daraius appraisingly, antennae twitching in his direction as she turns her attention to him.

edited December 2014
    I adjust the second person messages for my logs. 

Oh my goodness @Portius there's this in Master Q's room:

Flush with the nearby bed, a solid bookcase of rich redwood rises from the floor.

Richly lacquered redwood makes up the solid skeleton of this bookcase, boasting shelves aplenty for 
    tomes, scrolls, and stacks of paper. Wooden bookends of the Tosha meditative icons stand proud and 
    straight, ready to keep everything orderly and clean. Although backless, the bookcase is dressed 
    with two tapestries upon either side depicting Tosha, the Meditative and the construction of the 
    Monastery.
    It weighs about 37 pounds.
    A redwood bookcase is holding:
    "journal187776"                         a simple leather journal
    "book175255"                            a slate grey book
    "book175140"                            a slate grey book
    "ledger187656"                          a shimmering scientific ledger
    "scroll174952"                          a wide scroll of parchment and wood
    "journal186183"                         an ornate gem-adorned journal
    "booklet191311"                         a hemp-bound booklet adorned with a knotwork lotus
    I used to make cakes.

• PortiusPortius Likes big books, cannot lie
    Yessss. Now I feel loved!

Clearly you have to bring me with you sometime.
    Any sufficiently advanced pun is indistinguishable from comedy.
  • ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    The Force shall set me free.
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
    Portius said:

Yessss. Now I feel loved!

Clearly you have to bring me with you sometime.

Count on it. <3
    I used to make cakes.

• I was considering crashing this. I'm glad I didn't. I would have been entirely out of my element.
  • Daraius said:

Daraius issues a sound somewhere between a chuckle and a growl.

Master Quettle issues a sound somewhere between a chuckle and a growl, similar to Darius, although
    his is a bit gruffer.
    Copydog. 8-|

Also on the topic of phenotypic similarities, allow me to note that Daraius and Quettle have the same fur color, and pre-demi Daraius had brown eyes, and they both have auras of serenity. Hmm. HMMM I say. What are we to make of that?

Clearly some researcher threw Daraius into the distant-ish past after he learned to mask his Demigodhood. Oh, or that they're related.
  • One day... one day I shall attend one of these ~hope~

.oO---~---Oo.

"Perfect. Please move quickly to the next post, as the effects of prolonged exposure to the signature are not part of this test."

NARF!

• PortiusPortius Likes big books, cannot lie
    Pretty sure the best way for that to happen is for a diplomatic summit between Hallifax and Tosha to be scheduled. Which should happen, because it'd be awesome.
    Any sufficiently advanced pun is indistinguishable from comedy.
    edited February 2015
    diplomatic summit between Hallifax and Tosha 
    [breathing intensifies]

One step at a time guys. I can barely handle the current pace of Exciting Developments.
    I used to make cakes.

• QistrelQistrel the hemisemidemifink
    Serenwilde obviously has ties to Tosha, due to the fact that we have to complete the Tosha quest as part of our epic.

I must do something about this...

Notice me, Senpai.

I used to make cakes.

• QistrelQistrel the hemisemidemifink
    The White Stag be all 'Fetch the Scroll of Enlightenment, yo'.

Plus, spirit plane, dude. Serenwilde got the spirits too. Just saying.

• And speaking of those spirits, I just wrote an entire book about how they're necromantic as fuck and the spiritsingers are hardcore lowmagic necromancy.
  • Which will hopefully spark a SS counter-argument in another scholarly book.

Huzzah literary renaissance.

• EveriineEveriine Wise Old Swordsbird / Brontaur Indianapolis, IN, USA
    She already ran it by Ev, who noticed some leaps of faith and assumptions, but I hope the SS come out with their own, too.
    Everiine is a man, and is very manly. This MAN before you is so manly you might as well just gender bend right now, cause he's the manliest man that you ever did see. His manly shape has spurned many women and girlyer men to boughs of fainting. He stands before you in a manly manerific typical man-like outfit which is covered in his manly motto: "I am a man!"

Daraius said: You gotta risk it for the biscuit.

Pony power all the way, yo. The more Brontaurs the better.
    Here is an older log from this series, which I didn't post immediately because it seemed like something more was going to come of it. Adjusted for perspective so you can pretend you're a Brother of Enlightenment.

Quettle and the Hive Queen
    19-20 Klangiary, 400 C.E.

Azus tells Daraius, "Pardon me, Ambassador. Do you have a moment?"

Daraius tells Hive Queen Azus Ankhemet, Khan en-Wilde, "Certainly. How may I be of service?"

Azus tells Daraius, "Princess Dakhamunzu has informed me that Ran Quettle wished to speak with each of 
    us. I wondered if you might have the time to attend."

Daraius tells Hive Queen Azus Ankhemet, Khan en-Wilde, "Ah, so soon? I will be there momentarily."

Azus tells Daraius, "He does not seem to be responding to just Dakhamunzu and myself. I hoped that your 
    arrival might... prompt a response."

[travel to Master Quettle's Chambers.]

Dakhamunzu inclines her head politely to Daraius.

Azus's mouth turns up as her face breaks into a smile.

Princess Dakhamunzu, The Marziale says to Daraius, "It is good to see you once more Ambassador."

Daraius dips his muzzle politely to Master Quettle and his monks, and then to the other assembled individuals.

Hive Queen Azus Ankhemet, Khan en-Wilde says to Master Quettle, "Ran Quettle, Princess Dakhamunzu indicated that you wished to speak to Ambassador Shevat and myself."

Daraius flattens his ears against his head.

Ambassador Daraius Shevat says, "I do not recall him making such a request."

Dakhamunzu's antennae flick towards Daraius.

Princess Dakhamunzu, The Marziale says, "Did you not receive my letter?"

Azus flicks her antennae towards Dakhamunzu

Glancing into his briefcase, Ambassador Daraius Shevat says, "Ah, my apologies."

Daraius slips an elegant white letter from his briefcase and takes a moment to read it.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Ambassador Shevat,

I must admit that I had some reservations over the matter of your status
    with my commune however as I read the texts you recommended to Master
    Quettle I would like to think I came to some conclusions on your
    character. If you are anything like the loboshigaru that male Portius
    has written about you care firstly for your city and for those who dwell
    within it. With such an understanding I feel that I can trust you on
    your word that you bare no ill-will to my home as there is currently a
    treaty between us. With this trust in mind I would gladly accept your
    offer of introduction to the Ancestral Masters.

On the matter of the gift of a cookie that you enclosed within your
    letter I will admit that I did not find it appealing. Kepheran diet is
    mostly composed of fungi and while we can eat other foods and some of us
    even find such things appealing I have found myself mostly enjoying more
    traditional foods. I did however take it with me when I went to see
    Master Quettle to make my apologies to him. He found the cookie much
    more enjoyable than I ever could and expressed interest in having more
    of them next you came to visit.

When I asked him if there was more he wished to learn of kephera he
    expressed interest in a conversation between Queen Azus, myself and you
    at the monastery. After I have sent off this letter to you I plan to pen
    one to Queen Azus on the matter. If you are amenable to this I will
    further speak to Queen Azus until we have found a date which works for
    all of us.

Peacefully,
    Princess Dakhamunzu, The Marziale

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

His golden eyes scanning the page, Ambassador Daraius Shevat says, "In my haste to attend to a fellow citizen's request, I did not noticed I'd received this."

Dakhamunzu hums thoughtfully and nods her head.

Azus greets Master Quettle with a sincere smile.

Master Quettle dips his muzzle low in a polite gesture.

Dakhamunzu beams at Master Quettle from behind swiftly clicking mandibles.

Azus clasps her hands before her and bows to Master Quettle.

Kaiel's ears perk up as his attention turns towards Master Quettle.

Dakhamunzu bows respectfully to Master Quettle.

Folding the letter neatly and tucking it away, Ambassador Daraius Shevat says to Master Quettle, "At your service once again, Master, though I confess this meeting is unexpected."

Princess Dakhamunzu, The Marziale says, "The fault lies with me for not informing the Ambassador properly and trusting my letter to have reached him."

His ears drooping slightly, Ambassador Daraius Shevat says, "I also did not bring any more cookies."

Master Quettle waggles a finger warningly at Daraius and says, "Tut tut."

Azus smiles softly.

Daraius tucks his tail between his legs, his fur bristling slightly at Master Quettle's admonishment.

Gesturing, Master Quettle says, "Then let us sit and stay awhile."

Master Quettle settles to the ground in a cross-legged position, inhaling deeply. As he brings his hands up to rest open-palmed at either side, he exhales, all tension leaving his body.

[and everyone else sits the same way]

A brother of enlightenment glances at the assembled guests, disappearing from the chamber with haste.

A Brother of Enlightenment stalks out to the northeast.

Stalking in from the northeast, a Brother of Enlightenment enters the room.

Azus twitches her antennae in Master Quettle's direction.

Daraius glances up curiously at the monk as he enters, then turns his attention to Master Quettle.

A brother of enlightenment returns, this time carrying a wooden tray of cups filled with steaming, black tea. Carefully, the brother offers one to each guest, and finally to Master Quettle who takes it with a short nod. "Stay awhile too, brother," remarks the Master. The brother nods, as does his companion, and they stand nearby but nonetheless a distance from the group.

Azus accepts the cup, pondering it for a long moment.

Master Quettle says, "I must admit, kephera and pup, I was not expecting a lesson so soon."

Dakhamunzu hums happily with as low a note as she can reach. [She worked on her growl!]

Daraius accepts the tea gratefully, a soft growl rumbling in his chest as he nods in agreement towards Master Quettle.

Master Quettle clears his throat.

Princess Dakhamunzu, The Marziale says to Master Quettle, "Neither was I Master Quettle."

Kaiel graciously accepts the cup of tea, quietly lifting it to his lips and sipping as he carefully observes the surrounding group.

Nodding her head, Hive Queen Azus Ankhemet, Khan en-Wilde says, "I endeavour to be industrious, Ran Quettle."

Dakhamunzu lifting the cup of tea she inhales deeply and exhales with a pleased hum.

Rheatsis accepts the cup offered to her with a little smile tugging the corners of her muzzle and a thankful incline of her head.

Nodding his head, Master Quettle brings the steaming cup of tea to his muzzle and laps a sip. He brings it low again, cradling it with his hands in his lap. "Industriousness is a good trait, I think. We of the monastery could be a little more industrious," the old loboshigaru remarks.

Master Quettle grins again, his teeth revealed like a sly wolf.

With a soft smile and a brief sip of tea, Hive Queen Azus Ankhemet, Khan en-Wilde says, "I savour the peace all the more for it."

Master Quettle says to Azus, "Might I ask, kephera, what does 'Ran' mean? That is not a term I am aware."

Daraius Shevat swivels one ear towards Azus, listening attentively.

Dakhamunzu hides a smile in her tea cup as she takes a sip.

Gleaming green, Hive Queen Azus Ankhemet, Khan en-Wilde says, "A Ran is a master, or an indication of a state of mastery."

Master Quettle cocks his head to one side to get a better listen. At Azus' response, the jackal's expression becomes one of clarity. "Ahh," he responds, "Very fascinating. Is this a kephera term then?"

Azus nods her head.

Hive Queen Azus Ankhemet, Khan en-Wilde says, "The study of our ancient scripts and the mantras of our monks is a study which I pursue with great passion."

Nodding his head as well, Master Quettle says, "Perhaps you can share some things of your monk order? When the pup and the kephera..." Here, Quettle nods in the direction of Dakhamunzu "... and I last spoke, we were hoping for some insight on your order and how it differs than ours."

Tilting her head to one side, Hive Queen Azus Ankhemet, Khan en-Wilde says, "I know almost nothing of you and yours, Ran Quettle. I can describe me and mine, if it will serve just as well."

Dakhamunzu's antennae flick towards Azus as she glances towards her Queen.

Master Quettle snaps his head to the other side, his ears directed at Azus with rapt attention. "A sharing contest then."

Cradling his teacup in his paws, Daraius Shevat observes Azus and Master Quettle with silent scrutiny, his body the picture of stillness.

Master Quettle says, "Er, perhaps not contest. A sharing time."

Master Quettle says to Daraius, "Drink your tea, pup."

Daraius mechanically takes a sip of his tea, his expression and gaze still fixed.

Hive Queen Azus Ankhemet, Khan en-Wilde says, "The Shofangi represent a branch of kepheran philosophy regarding the self as an individual. Uniquely, the onus of responsibility, of learning, of guilt, of honour lies firmly on the individual."

Rheatsis lifts her tea, her ears perked still with unfaltering attention to the conversation at hand.

Hive Queen Azus Ankhemet, Khan en-Wilde says, "We teach that you must firmly master the aspects that make up the self - the heart, mind, body, and with them, the spirit, in order to achieve perfection."

Dakhamunzu avidly looks between Azus and Master Quettle as she takes in the conversation.

Hive Queen Azus Ankhemet, Khan en-Wilde says, "This differs somewhat from the philosophy of the Tahtetso, who seem to externalise emotions and turmoils and conflicts, in order to separate themselves from flaws and in doing so, embrace perfection."

A soft growl emanating from him, Master Quettle says, "Tahtetso? This is a different order?"

Azus nods her head.

Master Quettle nods his head emphatically.

Hive Queen Azus Ankhemet, Khan en-Wilde says, "A school of thought that has since grown more divergent."

Hive Queen Azus Ankhemet, Khan en-Wilde says, "We welcome them, and remember them as kin."

Serenely, Master Quettle says, "The kephera, your kephera, seem very different than our monks then. The individual, while important, is secondary to the order. To the pack, as it were, since we are loboshigaru-born."

Azus purses her lips pensively, gazing off into the distance as she carefully gathers her thoughts.

His tail sweeping once behind him, Daraius flicks his ear towards Master Quettle.

Master Quettle takes another sip of his tea, sitting the cup beside him. Nose-twitching, the Master scans the faces of those present - even the two brothers of enlightenment nearby and the disciples wandering in and out. Finally, he settles his attention back to Azus, watching her closely.

Hive Queen Azus Ankhemet, Khan en-Wilde says, "The responsiblity for learning lies on the individual, it is true, but we are more than a loose collection of hermetic thinkers. The Shofangi come from a very firm communal society, and have since moved from that origin to a new, firm, communal society."

Questioningly, Master Quettle says, "From the kephera below to the forest above?"

Azus nods her head emphatically.

Master Quettle nods his head emphatically.

Hive Queen Azus Ankhemet, Khan en-Wilde says, "It is so. Like to like."

Pressing further, Master Quettle growls, "Tell me of your heart, mind, and body, kephera. At first glance, they appear similar to our order's ability."

Azus's eyes sparkle with amusement.

Dakhamunzu's exhausted mind can stay awake no longer, and she falls into a deep sleep.

Azus pats Dakhamunzu in a friendly manner.

Dakhamunzu opens her eyes and yawns mightily.

Azus nods her head.

Dakhamunzu ducks her head in embarrassment.

Master Quettle's tail wags upon the floor as his focus drifts to the once-slumbering kephera.

Princess Dakhamunzu, The Marziale whispers, "Sorry."

Master Quettle says to Dakhamunzu, "It is the tea. We use sleeping herbs to calm the mind."

Dakhamunzu stares implacably at Master Quettle.

Kaiel's eyes sparkle with amusement.

Dakhamunzu brings the tea to her nose and takes a cautious sniff.

Speaking up, a brother of enlightenment says, "Do not worry, kephera. It is not poisoned."

Dakhamunzu carefully sets the tea down beside her.

Lips curling up at the corners, a brother of enlightenment's mouth twists into a decidedly feral grin.

Hive Queen Azus Ankhemet, Khan en-Wilde says, "The three aspects of self are mind, heart and body. We seek to perfect, or improve, these aspects within ourselves through discipline, practice and reflection. As we sharpen the mind, open our hearts and master our bodies, we mature. As we improve as a whole, our spirit, that nebulous fourth element of self, is strengthened."

Nodding towards a brother of enlightenment, Princess Dakhamunzu, The Marziale says, "Even so... I do not wish to miss out on any of this conversation."

A brother of enlightenment nods at Dakhamunzu, taking a step back once more.

Ambassador Daraius Shevat says to Azus, "These ideals arise out of the kepheran tradition, but the Shofangi have broadened them to be applicable to seekers of any race?"

His milk-brown eyes wide with interest, Master Quettle says, "Fascinating, kephera." The Master attempts to speak, but pauses at Daraius' question, nodding approvingly. "Yes, a keen question."

Master Quettle gives Daraius a kind, fatherly look.

Hive Queen Azus Ankhemet, Khan en-Wilde says, "The Serenyen have interpreted them in their own way, and it is not at all dissimilar to the original intention. Where once we did these things to better protect the Hive, now the Serenyen do them to better understand themselves and to protect the natural world."

Daraius catches sight of Master Quettle's gaze and quickly looks away, the faintest rosy tint rising beneath the fur of his face.

Hive Queen Azus Ankhemet, Khan en-Wilde says, "Like to like, the virtues that we espouse, duty, honour, sacrifice, harmony, are shared naturally by the Serenwilde. By New Celest. By Hallifax."

Tilting his head toward Daraius, Master Quettle says, "Is this true, pup?"

Dakhamunzu glances at Daraius appraisingly, antennae twitching in his direction as she turns her attention to him.

His grip tightening almost imperceptibly on his teacup, Ambassador Daraius Shevat says, "In some senses. Harmony is the guiding principle of my city, of course. Sacrifice is among the values of Lady Isune, who is among our divine consulate."

Ambassador Daraius Shevat says, "We each fulfill our duty to serve the Collective."

Azus nods her head sagely.

Ambassador Daraius Shevat says, "There is common ground, naturally. It strengthens our diplomatic ties."

Hive Queen Azus Ankhemet, Khan en-Wilde says, "The similarities between the Hives, the tribes of the Seren and the city of Hallifax are quite clear, and are highlighted by their differences. We each pursue a goal to the best of our abilities, and this is reflected by each of our attitudes towards community."

Master Quettle reaches for his teacup, taking a quiet sip. Nodding at Daraius' words, he sets the cup aside once more.

Hive Queen Azus Ankhemet, Khan en-Wilde says, "The Hives are led by a single, powerful figure, supporting one another as they all work in unison to protect the world from the Soulless Leviathan. The Serenyen belond to a multitude of tribes with conflicts between them and a unifying set of beliefs and spirituality."

Master Quettle says, "I am not certain, but perhaps there is a subtle difference. The Teachings of Tosha are less about perfecting ourselves per se, but are techniques of calm. However, this calm is often interpreted as perfecting, transcending. We often describe it as enlightenment."

Daraius nods his head at Master Quettle.

Azus nods her head.

Showing that he understands, Kaiel nods his head slowly.

Hive Queen Azus Ankhemet, Khan en-Wilde says, "Becoming free of inner turmoil and outer conflict."

Dakhamunzu hums thoughtfully.

Ambassador Daraius Shevat says, "They arose from the very specific need of the loboshigaru to preserve themselves from the Soulless."

Comprehension flashes across Azus's face.

Hive Queen Azus Ankhemet, Khan en-Wilde says, "Why, I did not realise that. Perhaps we have more in common than I suspected."

Master Quettle ears swivel to hear some errant sound. "Exactly," responding to Azus' and Daraius' statements. "Exactly, although there is some connection for us and the kephera then, historically."
    I used to make cakes.

edited June 2015
    Daraius tilts his head and listens intently to Master Quettle.

Master Quettle reveals all his teeth in an impressive, wolven smile.

Dakhamunzu glances at Master Quettle appraisingly, antennae twitching in his direction as she turns her attention to Master Quettle.

Master Quettle says to Azus, "Exactly. It appears that the Soulless are the commonplace response for many, if not all, of us."

Hive Queen Azus Ankhemet, Khan en-Wilde says, "I was not aware of that. It would certainly explain our shared understanding of 'ka'"

Daraius's eyes brighten and his ears stand rigidly atop his head.

Master Quettle edges in with a subtle lean forward, indicating for further elaboration.

Ambassador Daraius Shevat says to Master Quettle, "I mentioned previously that kata is widely believed to be a development of the Undervault, but I could not account for your monks' understanding and use of it."

Hive Queen Azus Ankhemet, Khan en-Wilde says, "Your own teaching of the arts of tattooing referred to manipulation and alteration of the body's natural 'ka' channels. In kepheran philosophy, the passive akh and the active ka is the inherent energy of a living spirit."

Comprehension flashes across Master Quettle's face.

Hive Queen Azus Ankhemet, Khan en-Wilde says, "And so the manipulation of that ka seemed to be an innovative and natural progression of my existing knowledge of ka as a form of energy."

Master Quettle says to Daraius, "And alas, our texts are so faded - who knows where the Meditative developed our teachings."

Daraius nods his head at Master Quettle.

Hive Queen Azus Ankhemet, Khan en-Wilde says, "In fact, our earliest mantra, KA, expresses the release of active energy."

Master Quettle keeps one ear tilted toward Azus, keenly listening as he speaks.

Kaiel Siar'luin, Noyan en-Lam says, "...if I may?"

Master Quettle responds with quick nod. "Of course, faeling," he states.

Taking one last sip of his cup of tea and setting it gently to his side, Kaiel Siar'luin, Noyan en-Lam says, "It would seem that the Kephera initially developed their understanding of harmony, and thusly of Kata as we know it, through extensive meditations on the nature of the spirit and the natural world with which it interacts. Perhaps, this knowledge is simply universally available in some way through heavy meditation?"

Kaiel Siar'luin, Noyan en-Lam says, "As a sort of universal truth, it would seem that any extreme length of introspection would ultimately lead one to the same conclusion, no?"

Dipping his muzzle in agreement, Ambassador Daraius Shevat says, "I believe it is quite plausible for the loboshigaru and the kephera to have developed independent understandings of ka energy."

Hive Queen Azus Ankhemet, Khan en-Wilde says, "I think that the understanding is universal only as an understanding of something that exists in the world. As we know that fire burns and destroys, but can also be used for good, so too do other cultures learn such. Gaudiguch has learned differently, and their understanding is therefore different."

Master Quettle calmly listens to everything said, nodding his head slowly in comprehension.

Hive Queen Azus Ankhemet, Khan en-Wilde says, "It is incredibly unlikely that two isolated cultures would develop so similar an understanding of natural energies that they would refer to them as exactly the same thing."

Dakhamunzu nods her head in agreement.

Daraius asks Azus, "You believe the kephera instructed Tosha?"

Hive Queen Azus Ankhemet, Khan en-Wilde says, "I feel that at some point, there must have been an interaction. The kephera, after all, began to exist at the very beginning of the Elder Wars. There has not been a dearth of opportunities, especially in the mountains."

Daraius issues a short, low growl, sipping placidly at his tea.

Serenely, Master Quettle says, "I am not opposed to that theory. But as I have suggested, all historical documentation from the time of Tosha is faded, rotten, or simply gone, unfortunately."

Azus nods her head.

Hive Queen Azus Ankhemet, Khan en-Wilde says, "Much is lost to the passage of time. We both have surely been enriched."

Princess Dakhamunzu, The Marziale says to Azus, "Is it possible that any of the Queens would have knowledge or documentations?"

Master Quettle gathers his teacup again, drinking with a soft growl.

Hive Queen Azus Ankhemet, Khan en-Wilde says, "Queens Mumhatuti and Rashepera are... ahem..."

Azus sips her tea, taking a moment of silence.

Hive Queen Azus Ankhemet, Khan en-Wilde says, "Not very open-minded when it comes to the upworld. They are very interested in... their own affairs."

Hive Queen Azus Ankhemet, Khan en-Wilde says, "Queen Khementen and Sethetmun, however..."

Hive Queen Azus Ankhemet, Khan en-Wilde says, "They are more inclined, but much farther afield."

Kaiel Siar'luin, Noyan en-Lam says, "That theory seems plausible, though I do have one issue to raise with it. The Undervault, the Kephera and their plight were entirely unknown for hundreds of years while the Tosha stood here. It would seem if there had been contact, the monks of Tosha would have been aware of the issue of the Illithoid and made the Basin aware."

Kaiel tilts his head curiously at Azus.

Master Quettle listens to the conversation as he quietly sips his tea.

With a soft smile, Hive Queen Azus Ankhemet, Khan en-Wilde says, "Such an event is hardly the topic of conversation, I think. Interesting in the extreme, especially given my archaelogical finds, but off-topic nonetheless."

Kaiel shrugs helplessly.

Azus purses her lips pensively, gazing off into the distance as she carefully gathers her thoughts.

Master Quettle says, "We shall simply have to continue discovering our respective histories."

Azus shifts position slightly, her eyes and abdomen glowing an eerie emerald.

Hive Queen Azus Ankhemet, Khan en-Wilde says, "I wonder though..."

Hive Queen Azus Ankhemet, Khan en-Wilde says, "Have you ever heard of a great sound, from below the ground, in your histories?"

Dakhamunzu's antennae flick between Azus and Master Quettle as she tilts her head in curiosity.

Daraius Shevat regards Azus and Master Quettle solemnly from over the rim of his cup, sipping silently at the brew.

Master Quettle pauses in thought, his brow knitting into a thick crease. Finally, the Master shakes his head. "Not that I recall," he responds.

Hive Queen Azus Ankhemet, Khan en-Wilde says, "Hmm... Well, pardon my curiosity, Ran Quettle. You were, I think, telling us of your understanding of mind, heart, and body?"

Master Quettle offers a canine grin. "It is not a problem, kephera. Curiosity is a good thing." Nodding, the old loboshigaru takes a final sip of tea, setting the empty cup nearby. One of the brothers - the one who stood by while the other went to get the tea - moves and gathers the cup, holding it in his hands. "Yes," Master Quettle responds, "Yes, because our understanding is not of Mind, Heart, and Body but of Form, Spirit, Heart, and Clarity."

Showing that she understands, Azus nods her head slowly.

Hive Queen Azus Ankhemet, Khan en-Wilde says, "Ah, I see the resemblance."

Master Quettle says, "The four do not refer to physical things, even the heart does not mean the physical heart, but the practice of compassion."

Daraius trains his ears and gaze on Master Quettle, listening with full attention.

Off-handedly, Master Quettle says, "I was told once that the monks of the far south have the sunflower as a symbol. I do wonder if there are commonalities there too."

Azus ponders the situation.

Hive Queen Azus Ankhemet, Khan en-Wilde says, "The Nekotai, Ran Quettle?"

Master Quettle attempts to the thought with a shake of his head, a twitch of his whiskers. However, with Azus' question, the loboshigaru nods. "Yes. We know of them because many pass through these halls."

Kaiel shakes his head.

With a feral smile, Master Quettle says, "Alms-giving is a tradition of the monks."

Hive Queen Azus Ankhemet, Khan en-Wilde says, "How curious. I would not have taken them to be either floral nor sunny, given their... home."

Ambassador Daraius Shevat says, "I know nothing of their symbology, myself, but I cannot imagine their doctrines align at all with Master Aylat's."

Azus glances askance.

Kaiel Siar'luin, Noyan en-Lam says to Master Quettle, "I doubt you would find much similarity with the Nekotai, Master. In actuality, their very name translates to "bringer of sorrow" from the fae tongue. They are quite the opposite of sunny."

Master Quettle barks a short laugh.

Kaiel Siar'luin, Noyan en-Lam says, "Or calm, for that matter. Bloody, deranged maniacs may be more suited."

Kaiel coughs softly.

Ambassador Daraius Shevat says, "Their monastic traditions come from shards of a Soulless god."

Master Quettle says, "Perhaps it is the case, but I know little of their order either."

Kaiel nods his head at Daraius, showing his acceptance.

Resting one hand on Kaiel's shoulder, Hive Queen Azus Ankhemet, Khan en-Wilde says, "Thank you, Noyan."

Dakhamunzu's antennae flicks between all those who are talking.

Hive Queen Azus Ankhemet, Khan en-Wilde says, "I do know a bit, if I may share it?"

Master Quettle tilts his head and listens intently to Azus.

Hive Queen Azus Ankhemet, Khan en-Wilde says, "The Nekotai descend from the breed of illithoid to escape the Prison. They found sanctuary in the Glomdoring when Queen Mumhatuti attacked and slew their corrupted Spirits."

Hive Queen Azus Ankhemet, Khan en-Wilde says, "Like the Ninjakari, they learn of stealth and subterfuge, and excel at ambush and assassination. They exist to free their kind and corrupt the world with the illithoid abomination."

Dakhamunzu shifts position slightly, her eyes and abdomen glowing an eerie emerald.

Master Quettle says to Azus, "And your order is devoted against them, yes?"

Hive Queen Azus Ankhemet, Khan en-Wilde says, "No, it is not. Not directly. We protect the Serenwilde, our upworld kin, and we fight the illithoid. The Nekotai protect and serve the Glomdoring, their upworld refuge, and fight the kephera."

Hive Queen Azus Ankhemet, Khan en-Wilde says, "Kin of kin of kin, we continue the battle of Keph and Illith, all these centuries hence."

Serenely, Master Quettle says, "I see."

Master Quettle gently rubs his paws together, as he ponders further. "It seems, nonetheless, we all will have much to ponder and discover as time presses forward. Hopefully through further archival research, we will know more of ourselves," states the loboshigaru.

Daraius nods encouragingly towards Master Quettle, his tail thumping lightly on the floor behind him.

Hive Queen Azus Ankhemet, Khan en-Wilde says, "None better than Hallifax to assist you, Ran Quettle. I suspect the good Ambassador would be particularly enthusiastic if he were to assist."

Gesturing toward the bookcase, Master Quettle says, "He already has."

His voice laced with a contented growl, Ambassador Daraius Shevat says, "Oh yes, we are on the case."

Princess Dakhamunzu, The Marziale says to Azus, "Perhaps we could speak to the Queens? I would like to look into the matter further."

Princess Dakhamunzu, The Marziale says, "Even if they are unlikely to have much to say."

Hive Queen Azus Ankhemet, Khan en-Wilde says, "It has been some time since I spoke to Mumhatuti. I can show you the ruined Hive while we are in that area."

Dakhamunzu beams at Azus from behind clicking mandibles.

Azus frowns as she glances at the bookcase.

Hive Queen Azus Ankhemet, Khan en-Wilde says, "Ran Quettle, are all of those books from your archives?"

Master Quettle shakes his head.

Master Quettle says, "They are gifts from the pup and Lord Windwhisper."

Hive Queen Azus Ankhemet, Khan en-Wilde says, "Oh, I see. I was surprised to see anything with the mark of a lotus."

Master Quettle's tail wags behind him.

Master Quettle tilts his head and listens intently to Azus.

Ambassador Daraius Shevat says to Azus, "Why should that surprise you?"

Hive Queen Azus Ankhemet, Khan en-Wilde says, "It is a flower that grows only underground you see. Kephera who live in New Celest give them out as tokens of esteem."

Daraius's whiskers twitch abruptly.

Dakhamunzu tilts her head and listens intently to Azus.

Hive Queen Azus Ankhemet, Khan en-Wilde says, "I've never seen it in the wild, myself."

Rumbling softly, Ambassador Daraius Shevat says, "Hm, that is interesting indeed."

Master Quettle says, "The lotus has been a symbol of the Monastery ever since Tosha plucked one from the highest mountains and kept it within our care."

Ambassador Daraius Shevat says, "The lotus is of great significance to the Toshan order as well."

Master Quettle nods his head at Daraius.

Azus looks about herself, rubbing her chin thoughtfully.

Hive Queen Azus Ankhemet, Khan en-Wilde says, "The plot thickens."

Kaiel's eyes sparkle with amusement.

Daraius gazes with dim eyes into his nearly empty teacup, a low, inscrutable growl in his chest.

Azus sets aside her empty teacup - when did that happen? - and folds her hands in her lap.

Master Quettle tilting his head to one side, his ears pointed toward Azus. "What does the lotus mean to you, kephera?" he asks.

Dakhamunzu's antennae flick towards Daraius and she frowns in concern.

Hive Queen Azus Ankhemet, Khan en-Wilde says, "The lotus is a symbol of grace and tranquility. It represents openness, and has begun to become associated with the love of the Light."

A deep growl escaping his muzzle, Master Quettle says, "I see."

Azus tilts her head curiously.

Master Quettle says, "I wonder where that interpretation originated."

Azus shrugs helplessly.

Master Quettle says, "Perhaps we will simply need to have a great meeting of monastic orders."

A wry smile spreads across Master Quettle's face.

Azus shakes her head.

Hive Queen Azus Ankhemet, Khan en-Wilde says, "I do not believe it would be wise to have the elamran en-kephera and the students of abomination in the same room together."

Kaiel nods his head at Azus, showing his acceptance.

Ambassador Daraius Shevat says to Master Quettle, "Not all orders value serenity as highly as the loboshigaru."

Hive Queen Azus Ankhemet, Khan en-Wilde says, "Even I would struggle to maintain my composure in the presence of they who torture my kin and seek to corrupt the world."

Dakhamunzu nods her head in agreement.

Kaiel Siar'luin, Noyan en-Lam says, "I certainly wouldn't initiate any aggressions, but I would have no hesitations about ending them."

Kaiel shrugs helplessly.

Ambassador Daraius Shevat says, "It would not do to have this become a place of violence. It could undo the life's work of any number of seekers here."

Kaiel nods his head at Daraius, showing his acceptance.

Acknowledging his point to be true, Master Quettle nods his head gravely at Daraius.

Azus nods her head.

Master Quettle looks exhausted and opens his mouth in an enormous yawn.

Hive Queen Azus Ankhemet, Khan en-Wilde says, "There is no need to draw each of you into the violence of millenia."

Master Quettle fluidly rises from his sitting position.

Master Quettle says to Azus, "I appreciate the concern, kephera. Truly."

Daraius's gaze follows Master Quettle's movements attentively.

Master Quettle smooths out his robes and dusts them off with a swipe of his paws. "Unfortunately, friends, it is time for my midnight run through the mountains. It is important to exercise Form and Clarity," he growls solemnly.

Dakhamunzu stands up and stretches her arms out wide.

Azus nods her head.

A wry smile spreads across Kaiel's face.

Dakhamunzu bows respectfully to Master Quettle.

Hive Queen Azus Ankhemet, Khan en-Wilde says, "It has been a singular pleasure, Ran Quettle."

Hive Queen Azus Ankhemet, Khan en-Wilde says, "Thank you for having us."

A brother of enlightenment makes a move, closing in on the group of you: Master Quettle's teacup in paw. Extending an arm out, he quietly waits for you to provide him your cups.

Master Quettle says, "Thank you for your time, kephera. This entire conversation was enlightening."

Azus retrieves her cup from the floor and, after tracing one finger along the handle, passes it to Master Quettle.

Dakhamunzu picks up her cup off the ground and carefully hands it to a brother of enlightenment.

Daraius gets to his feet with practiced grace, dutifully tidying the cuffs at his elbows and adjusting the ends of his bow tie. With a polite dip of his muzzle, he hands his teacup to the attentive brother of enlightenment.

Kaiel carefully hands the brother of enlightenment his tea cup, then raises from his sitting position in a fluid motion.

Hive Queen Azus Ankhemet, Khan en-Wilde says to Master Quettle, "I hope that next time we meet, I may provide refreshments to each of you."

Cup in hand, Master Quettle says, "Then I shall eagerly await your invitation."

With a polite incline of the head, Kaiel Siar'luin, Noyan en-Lam says to Master Quettle, "Thank you for your hospitality, Master. This conversation has been most intriguing."

Ambassador Daraius Shevat says to Master Quettle, "Thank you again for your time, Master Quettle. I too shall be sure come better prepared with cookies."

Master Quettle inclines his muzzle politely to the rest of you, in turn.

Master Quettle barks a soft chuckle. "Good," he exclaims to Daraius.

Master Quettle says, "If you would excuse me."

With a quiet calm on his features, Master Quettle glides out to the northeast.
    I used to make cakes.