Real World Raves

Comments

• TarkentonTarkenton Traitor Bear
    Ended up going with windows 8.  Was having issues with games and my card.  Mebbe when I get a shiny new graphics card...and rebuild most of my pc, honestly, I'll pop back over to the penguin side.
  • EveriineEveriine Wise Old Swordsbird / Brontaur Indianapolis, IN, USA
    Games are the downfall of anything GNU/Linux/BSD based, unfortunately. That's the only reason I still have Windows 7 as a boot option on my main compy. Everything else I can do, usually better, in GNU/Linux.
    Everiine is a man, and is very manly. This MAN before you is so manly you might as well just gender bend right now, cause he's the manliest man that you ever did see. His manly shape has spurned many women and girlyer men to boughs of fainting. He stands before you in a manly manerific typical man-like outfit which is covered in his manly motto: "I am a man!"

Daraius said: You gotta risk it for the biscuit.

Pony power all the way, yo. The more Brontaurs the better.
  • More games are coming out that these days that are compatible with Linux and Debian (heck, SteamOS is a linux based distro, meaning that games that want to be featured/played on steam boxes will need to be compatible)
    Kiss of the Enchantress hisses eerily, "Let them fear, and despair."
  • I had a really nice weekend full of all sorts of activities and absolutely no work. I hope I can make a habit out of this.
    #NoWireHangersEver

Vive l'apostrophe!
  • Some cool stuff came out of Google I/O this year.

I've already flashed the Android M preview onto my Nexus 9.....it's great.

I don't care if Google is basically Skynet, I'll worship them forever.
    Stangmar - Retired

• LavinyaLavinya Queen of Snark Australia
    My amazing husband is picking up a brand new laptop for me on the way home today. So I should be back tomorrow! How much does he rock??

• ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    One does not simply let an ascendant of Magnagora go without a laptop.
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • @Kaimanahi. Best Borderlands 2 team player. Ever. 

T_T
                                                                  Sao <3 Pandy
  • ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    Fallout 4 confirmed.
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
    When I disappear in November, if they keep to prior practice, you'll all know why.
  • There's really not that many moments that make teaching worthwhile, but... a few weeks ago there was a student struggling with geometry who was -unbelievably freaking annoying- and sorry, but it's true, some students are like that. She complained constantly, asked ridiculously easy questions for someone in geometry, and one was of the worst on the issue of 'I shouldn't have to add 12+7 without a calculator!' Me and one of the other instructors dreaded seeing her come in, and that was just a couple weeks ago. Plus she was failing the course.

She kept coming, though, and she kept doing the work even while complaining about it every freaking second. And she made incredible progress, got high scores on two of her last three grades for the semester, and has a good shot at bringing up her grade to a B average. What's really amazing is that she went from not knowing how many degrees there are in a triangle to memorizing complicated formulas to find the lengths of segments of secant lines... and doing it perfectly. 

Not something I ever expected from that student, and it makes me sad that today is her last day and I won't be able to find out how she does on the final. But still. Remarkable effort, and I'm glad I got to help her.
    "Chairwoman," Princess Setisoki states, holding up a hand in a gesture for her to stop and returning the cup. "That would be quite inappropriate. One of the males will serve me."
  • DaraiusDaraius Shevat The juror's taco spot
    Shaddus said:

Fallout 4 confirmed.

This was the one game I would buy a PS4 for. But then there's Star Fox for Wii U on the horizon and I certainly can't go getting two new consoles in one year...
    I used to make cakes.

Estarra the Eternal says, "Give Shevat the floor please."
    That's an elegant solution! I'm actually still not used to having a laptop capable of running games so I still gravitate to consoles. I grew up playing them. Not ashamed!  
    I used to make cakes.

Shame not intended, at all. I was a console player until Steam really started getting going. That being said, Bethesda games ALWAYS need user content to fix things. Or, if they don't need it, they'refar more awesome once modders get hold of it.
  • CyndarinCyndarin used Flamethrower! It was super effective.
    It's CAPITAL PRIDE WEEKEND. WOOOOO!

I plan on having an orgy with my favorite men. Johnny Walker, Jose Cuervo, and Jack Daniels. All in my mouth.
  • SynkarinSynkarin Nothing to see here
    I feel like John Jameson would go better with Johnny and Jack than Jose would.

But maybe I just like my Irish whiskey

Everiine said:
    "'Cause the fighting don't stop till I walk in."
    -Synkarin's Lament.
  • So Jurassic World was awesome

Stangmar - Retired

Oh man is there a climactic boss battle dance off in this one too? Should become a staple of Chris Pratt movies.
    I used to make cakes.

Steven Universe has ratcheted up the awesome factor to 12, starting with a brand new title sequence. The first of a full week of new episodes featured: a swordfighting training montage, no fewer than two duets, and lots and lots of Pearl, who can often seem dispassionate and mechanical but is actually deeply emotionally sensitive and utterly steadfast in her loyalties. No wonder she's my favorite. :x
    I used to make cakes.

Just approved for my new swanky new DC apartment. Visitors welcome.

• Daraius said:
    Oh man is there a climactic boss battle dance off in this one too? Should become a staple of Chris Pratt movies.
    Yeah, he and the raptors challenge the new hybrid dinosaur to a dance-off and save the park.  
    Stangmar - Retired

edited June 2015
    Star Fox Zero is beautiful. :x

Will it fulfill my unreasonably long wish list? Probably not. Is the bird-walker tank kind of stupid? Yeah. But I can see myself shelling out the dough for a Wii U just to play it.

And no sign of Krystal, thank god.
    I used to make cakes.

• Celina said:

But you have to live in DC so......
    Stangmar - Retired

edited June 2015
    Stangmar said:
    Celina said:

But you have to live in DC so......
    DC is amazing. I love DC. I will come for you if you insult my city.

edit: nevermind the exorbitant rent. I don't have to eat. 
  • Work closed due to the epic storm that's supposed to kill us all according to weather reports, but thus far has resulted in naught but mild showers... And one of my first thoughts upon discovering this was 'hey, I can do the Glomdoring epic today after all'... and also I am not an addict.
    "Chairwoman," Princess Setisoki states, holding up a hand in a gesture for her to stop and returning the cup. "That would be quite inappropriate. One of the males will serve me."
    I swear that damn new moon is always when I'm either at work, asleep, or have a prior engagement.
  • So I'm probably moving. Getting a place with my best friend. Good news is, I'll be able to invest more time in Lusternia since I'll be able to pester them while murdering people. Also will be able to buy credits again(potentially). So I'm packing/downsizing/cleaning and I find my senior yearbook. Okay, decide to flip through it for nostalgia. It only took me six years to notice the picture they used for my senior superlative of "Most Individual" is me loading up Lusternia about to go terrorize New Celest. If I'm seeing this right, there's the description for the Pool on my mushclient. I thought this was hilarious and needed to be shared. It certainly made me smile. (Also my best friend and I's place is going to be ... interesting. Basically by unanimous decision we're not to be left alone together because we both require intense adult supervision(despite us both being in our mid twenties) so it'll be extremely interesting. There will be blood, it might be ours, so let's hope we don't kill someone. Or Bad Horse visits us. But no, it'll be fun. I'm excited. Just. Moving. Ew.)
    Mysrai, the Beckoner Beyond the Maze intones, "Continue to manifest the paradigm of working, My Alary."
    The Divine voice of Camus the Cinderfly echoes in your head, "Thank you, once-body. I am happy that I fell into that eye."