In-game explanation for stars?

RancouraRancoura the Last Nightwreathed QueenCanada
edited June 2015 in Q&A
I'm doing some research for a Bardic that I may or may not continue/complete.

So: is there an in-game explanation for stars?

In our world, if I'm not mistaken, most or all (I'm not too up-to-date on my astronomy, so pardons!) of the "stars" we see in the skies are essentially other suns i.e. bodies of burning gas, but in Lusternia, there is one Sun that we know of, from which was awakened a Fae Spirit by Rahm.

I'm also aware that the Astrology skillset references other planetary bodies, but this to me always meant other planets like the one the Basin exists on (being the First World?) - which I wouldn't think give off any kind of star-like glow.

Anyone have any input?

Tonight amidst the mountaintops
And endless starless night
Singing how the wind was lost
Before an earthly flight

Comments

• MaligornMaligorn Windborne
    edited June 2015
    WELL HELLO THERE I'M MALIGORN AND I'M OBSESSED WITH STARS IC AND OOC.

I like to think that Father Sun represents all stars in the sky, and that they are themselves Suns, but they're too far away for Him to draw power from them.

It's likely that Papaxi and Tarox (each on either side of Lusternia, I believe) (Lusternia is our planet's name) would be bright and close enough to become a "star" in the sky.

It goes Sun - Eroee - Sidiak - (Papaxi?) - Lusternia - (Papaxi?) - Tarox - Aapek, as far as I can tell.

EDIT: It's also likely that Eroee is bright enough to be seen without lenses, as even lowly villages know when Eroee is in Sun and know then to call down peaceful revolts. Another star at the very least.

Let me know if you have more questions or not.

• RancouraRancoura the Last Nightwreathed Queen Canada
    So, we could say that the other stars are one of the following:

1. Other suns (presumably smaller) that are children of Father Sun, similar to how crows are children of Brother Crow?

2. Actually Sun-Fae that somehow exist in the heavens and are bright enough to give off their own glow?

Before an earthly flight

I don't think that sun fae could be that bright without being

A. extremely bright (like extremely)

B. extremely huge, 20x+ black dragon size and immobile. Also bright.

You could say that, (option 1) I think, and it'd be acceptable. Especially if it's a literary piece you're writing.

• RancouraRancoura the Last Nightwreathed Queen Canada
    edited June 2015
    I had another idea I might still go with, being that it's a fictional piece (even IG-wise). Just doing some preliminary research to see if there is any existing lore on the matter already. Thanks for sharing your opinion, @Maligorn!

That said, I'd appreciate hearing from anyone who has another idea!

Before an earthly flight

• I'm pretty sure that the stars are entities in their own rights not related to Sun... I mean, the Star of Celest is, in fact, a literal star. 
    I'm Lucidian. If I don't get pedantic every so often, I might explode.
    Except not really...it's just another power source. OOCly speaking, not forum RPing. A real star with this proximity to Lusternia would burn us to a crisp, or if a neutron star (small but superdense) make us implode. Even a white dwarf would absolutely destroy us.

• No, seriously, the Star of Celest is a LITERAL star in the context of the game- it wanted to follow a bunch of shooting stars in their journey across the cosmos, and was familiar to the point where one of said shooting stars came down to investigate, and became an Ephemeral.
    I'm Lucidian. If I don't get pedantic every so often, I might explode.
  • XenthosXenthos Shadow Lord
    Maligorn said:
    Except not really...it's just another power source. OOCly speaking, not forum RPing. A real star with this proximity to Lusternia would burn us to a crisp, or if a neutron star (small but superdense) make us implode. Even a white dwarf would absolutely destroy us.
    Think of it more as a sparkling light in the sky than a sun.  There are not two suns up there!
    Again, I think that treks into forum RPs. Maligorn wouldn't call the Star of Celest a real star.

• If the soulless weren't so glutinous I'd suggest they're the last remnants of the dead elders who fought the soulless in the early days of the war, still holding in their formation.