Lets talk about combat

edited February 2013 in Common Grounds
Im growing to love Lusternia with its crazy places and things happening. But one thing that I doubt I will ever get used to is combat.
I understand that devs tried to make it indepth and different from hack&slash MUDs. But I think you guys went too far with afflictions.
My first fight involving them was not long ago - against darklings near Collegium. And I could tell a long story about how it was... a story full of swearing and pain.
Good thing someone was nearby and cured me, or I would still be staying near Obelisk, shouting "I like cheese".
I looked into help files to see how many afflictions there are, and this is rediculous. I surprised there werent "you got cancer" affliction since this is exactly what Ive got trying to learn everything. I know, there are systems that you buy (and its almost mandatory) that make it easier. But was it necessary to make such confusing and bulky combat in the first place? Maybe what Lusternia really needs - complete combat overhaul, which will make fighting not only simplier and understandable for newbies, but also more fun for everyone? Im not speaking about "kill <mob>, loot <mob>" type, but something involving less scipting, and more thinking.

Comments

• QistrelQistrel the hemisemidemifink
    Use firstaid! Seriously, Firstaid is your friend.

• ShuyinShuyin The pug life chose me.
    Learning and then using firstaid for the first time also gifts you back the lessons you learned to get it to begin with. 

So you essentially get it for free.
  • I'd be the first to sign a petition to reduce the amount of afflictions in Lusternia, but the afflictions in the Collegium should be easy enough to handle even without a system. As said, use Firstaid; it can actually make a pretty potent newbie-system with just a few triggers (sure, it won't replace the "real" systems, but it should definitely keep you alive while bashing and at least give you longer to live in combat).
  • EnyalidaEnyalida Nasty Woman, Sockpuppeteer to the Gods
    Generally, you'll find that for most people, if there is a gripe about fighting npcs, it's that it's too simple! Outside of that one collegium quest, it'll probably be a long long time until you're regularly fighting npcs that do afflictions, at least level 50 or higher! And then, it's likely to be one of two or three different afflictions: entangle, stupidity, or limb break!

PvP combat is another case altogether, and yes there are a large number of afflictions and conditions to be aware of in PvP, partially because there are 28 different guilds with something like 54 different guild skillsets shared between them! However, it is worth noting that out of all the IREs I've trialed, Lusternian afflictions on the whole are the least potent and are by far the easiest to cure!

By the time you are ready for PvP, if you wish to get into it, you'll have had a chance to accrue some funds, and (depending on your org) you may get a subsidized system or a free org system! If that doesn't work out, there are some free, firstaid based queue curing systems that should work just fine for group combat, and work 100% fine for bashing any area of the game (as far as I'm aware)! 

So yes, be sure to make good use of FIRSTAID, and CURING, and you should be fine for bashing! A complete overhaul of 60+ skillsets and years upon years of game balance isn't likely to come, ever!
  • edited February 2013
    Since you are a mag, spectre's give give chills that can lead to being frozen which is a pain so take a fire potion with you for them. 

If on earth stick to only attacking the grubs, and later on gargoyles, and you'll be safe there.

Also, there is a handy tool that tells you what cures any aff. Just WHATCURES x and the system will tell you what the cure is.

There is a free system that has basic  curing. The forum topic for the system is below.

You can get into combat at most any level if you aren't afraid of dying. All you need is a web enchantment and then to follow the group webbing targets. Sure you will die a lot until you are bigger but you will quickly gain the respect of you city mates and that has quite a few benefits of its own.

There is lots to do here so I would recommend enjoying your path to gaining circles take your time and learn all about the game, instead of making it a very grindy sprint. 

*Edit: my first attempt as a nooblet combatant I bled out because I didn't know how to cure hemophilia. Don't let it discourage you though everyone dies, just try to learn something form the experience and it will be worth it. 

• CyndarinCyndarin used Flamethrower! It was super effective.

Lusternia combat is complex, which is what makes it more interesting than most other MUD combat. However, there is a difference between player combat and mob combat. Mob combat is very linear and is rarely overwhelming affliction wise, especially at low levels. Firstaid, which is in game curing, will keep you alive. There are also some curing systems for free available on the forums. Player combat is a different animal entirely, but since you haven't engaged in that, we'll just save that conversation for later.

Though mainly I'd suggest spending more time learning about combat and afflictions, or at least make it out of the collegium first, before suggesting massive combat overhauls.