Commune Defenses

1235»

Comments

• ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    Arcanis said:
    Lerad said:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/q4ekrpkgddremjg/statues.htm?raw=1

I would make a comment here about liars and credibility, but I think enough is enough. I've wasted enough of my time.

What is that ii. It looks like it is lacking some information there. Pretty sure you have more than 3 items in your entire inventory, unless you really are running around only wearing a watch (indecent..).

However, if gloves for some strange reason are -not- influencing enchanting a statue, then I think that would need tweaking.
    I think if you pay attention, he's saying that this character doesn't have gloves, and is enchanting a statue pretty quickly.
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    Aeldra said:
    As someone who's been watching the topic without having an intricate grasp on the mechanics, could someone maybe indulge me and answer me a few simple questions about it?

- Are offenders regularly spotted cutting down the trees?

To go along with Enyalida's exceptional response to your question. I'd like to reiterate that a person who cuts a tree is usually only discovered when they cut the first one, and then it's too late.
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • EnyalidaEnyalida Nasty Woman, Sockpuppeteer to the Gods
    edited September 2015
    The best solution right now is to remove (or dramatically scale down) totem power generation, remove the ability to cut down or destroy Sacred Trees of any age, to add a stable population of ethereal essence creatures (which already exist, but in variable, small numbers) in proportion to the lost passive power, and look forwards to additional future changes. 

Doing that would solve the issue of totems "raiding" immediately and completely, involve the least coding or design work (afaik), and provide the best neutral platform from which to consider  additional changes. Then it would be far easier to consider adding more defensive powers for totems, introducing growth cycles, addressing planar defensive disparities, or whatever else is chained to current sacred trees proposition.

Earlier commenters are right, simply removing the power generation and choppability of trees does not actually equalize cities and communes in that regard, it will take some of the additional changes I mention above and that are described in the comments on report 1374.  As long as the overall potential power generation of the forests remains on par (by increasing native essence creatures and potentially adjusting fae power rewards), I am willing to bite that bullet until more permanent solutions are devised. 

EDIT: Hell, passive power generation and chopping can even be reinstated later in some different form, once better ideas have been developed! The point is: if you're looking for a solution to the problem, that is the solution to the problem. It's not the end of the line for a totems mechanic or any such thing, it's the solution to the problem