What Made You Stay?

Basically, what made you stay and play Lusternia? I'm trying to see how the game retained you as a player, whether be it from other players, an interesting mechanic, an exciting event, or something else.

My very first foray into Lusternia was a short-lived Celestine around 8 or 9 years ago. I was an Achaea player, for the most part, and upon trying out the game, I found the differences between the two to be too big (power for certain abilities, rogue as a discouraged status, plus the fact that I was comfortable in Achaea, knew where things were and how to do stuff), and promptly quit. 

After a year, I tried again, this time starting a Spiritsinger. I tried a few things like composing a song, learned to do some basic quests (pilgrims/bards/scholars, power quests), and slowly settled into the game. It was the history and lore (Elder Wars, specifically), though, that made me decide that I should immerse myself in Lusternia, that it had great potential and that basically learning a whole new game would be worth it. I left after five or six amazing years (mostly due to RL being busy with studies and stuff), and now that RL has somewhat calmed down, I'm dabbling again. I've encountered a couple of people who, I feel, are in the same position I was 7 years ago: trying to find a reason to stay and play, asking themselves "why learn how to Lusternia when I'm already mostly entrenched in XYZ," and of course my reasons don't apply to everyone, so I'm curious.

What made you stay?

Comments

• edited November 2015
    the possible opportunity to make a difference in the shofangi. and the forums. after that, i just got comfortable
    is dead like the dodo
  • AeldraAeldra , using cake powered flight
    Difficult to say already. When I first played, I had a lot of things that put me of right away. Mostly this whole 'number' handling with the inventory and such was right on the top of it. But at some point, I've run into some very nice people, some bad things happened (in game bad things) and suddenly I was pulled in. Many things support my decision for staying, but ultimately it's the support of the people and how easy it was to find a place amongst them. Later been considering leaving again, thanks to some things I was not prepared for, but ultimately ended up staying for the people again. Of course there's many "minor" things that made me stay too, but it's first and most always the people.
    Avatar / Picture done by the lovely Gurashi.
  • SiamSiam Whispered Voice
    The lore. And the divine-player relations/interactions. Who wouldn't be dazzled by seeing Eventru's wall of text entrance for the first time(just the first time)? 
    Viravain, Lady of the Thorns shouts, "And You would seize Me? Fool! I am the Glomdoring! I am the Wyrd, and beneath the cloak of Night, the shadows of the Silent stir!"

#bringShikariback 

• QistrelQistrel the hemisemidemifink
    edited November 2015
    Well, I'm not exactly a stick-around person. But I keep coming back for the lore and I like RPing characters. RP interacting with other players are fun, teaching the lore, making up theories about stuff too.

• PhoebusPhoebus tu fui, ego eris. Circumstances
    edited November 2015
    (I'm still not 100% awake so this might get kind of rambly and disjointed.)

I didn't expect to stay, not at all. I ended up on Lusternia one night when I was looking for any excuse to not write a paper for my English class, with the throwaway thought of "eh, I played some MUD when I was like, 12, and I liked it, so I might like this." I was mostly excited that I could play as a frog person that shot lightning and could do the windy thing. I love amphibious races and wind magic and here I could have both? Yes please! It was pretty lucky that Aeromancers had just come out maybe only a month before I got here! (Then I had to reincarnate after a few weeks because I couldn't handle mugwump racial maluses, but being a trill opened up lots of other RP routes for me in Hallifax that eventually culminated in my lovely family getting where it is today, so I'm a-ok with that.)

In Hallifax I ended up meeting some cool people, some of whom I'm still good friends with today, who have been there for me even in the times of my life that Lusternia wasn't a part of for various reasons. Many of the friends I've made in Lusternia have been some of the best friends I've ever had. I love you guys, seriously. 

I got pretty into the lore after we found one of the Elder Wars books in game, and ended up getting all obsessive quizmaster about things. I'm a little sad they're done, honestly; discovering the next part of the story really made me feel like I was a part of it. That Gnafia event...I was so involved, and so immersed at that moment we found and translated the book that I had actual emotions over it, not just roleplay emotions, and it hooked me bad. It was a sad moment! So sad!

I fell in love with the design system, bumbling my way through a complete lack of writing experience to achieve basic competence at descriptions. I definitely look back at some of the things I made and cringe, haha, but...I enjoy having the ability to at least attempt to add to the craftable items we have available in the game. It makes me so happy every time I see someone using one of my anonymous public designs. I'm glad you like it, hypothetical person! You're who I made it for.

Also, I can quickly and easily report typos. This has spoiled me. I've found typos in other games and screamed internally at the fact that there's no built-in typo reporting system. It's admittedly a minor thing, but it matters to me and I derive enjoyment from it.

Anyway, somehow I'm still here years later, playing a character I gave my surname to because I couldn't think of anything good to call her.  ;)) I might not dedicate quite as much time to Lusternia as I used to, these days, but those things that made me stay in the first place still bring me back today.
  • I don't know what originally made me stay. I was a senior in highschool and my friend was all "I played this game, it was fun." and I thought, 'eh, why not.'

Now it is I'm too invested and sitting on all the credits that I have. I can't just quit (either quit quit or apply for Eph), while I have these. I also like seeing numbers go up (or down if that direction is the 'good' way).

During college, there was a slight dip in my online time. Now that I'm out of college, back at home, and have lost contact nearly all the friends I made in college - I suspect this is another reason why I'm on so much.
  • Combat, neat people.
  • ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    Fain.
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • Always a challenge for me.

I do not interact with many players and in the early days it was even harder for me. Same can be said for the Divine, I still do not interact with them all that often, even being a part of an order. At this point in time, it has just come to I do not think i could ever give up a character I have put so much time and energy into and there is some sense of obligation about it as well.
    The soft, hollow voice of Nocht, the Silent resounds within your mind as His words echo through the aether, "Congratulations, Arimisia. Your mastery of vermin cannot be disputed."

• A: Feeling like I am contributing. While I enjoy games like Skyrim, I just get frustrated that what I build or make there isn't going to benefit anyone else. Here what I write and build up can provide a better experience for someone else.
    For Mister Zvoltz, Pejat has been terminated by the Replicant Dynodeon.
  • TarkentonTarkenton Traitor Bear
    I like to fight, the IRE properties have some of the better PvP on their end, and it was a welcome breath of air from Godwars/Circle/Diku/ROM/Smaug/ROT/etc. code bases.
    The fact that I can also RP and not get mocked, and there aren't super saiyans, also works for me.
  • Supersaiyans?
    (I know it's a dragonball reference....)
    FOR pposters who aren't steingrim:

• TarkentonTarkenton Traitor Bear
    A medieval mostly pve/pvp game when I first started playing muds back before y2k. Guy had described himself, no joke, as "he's a half demon/half super saiyan with a sexy face and makes you want to have sex. Unless you're a dude, no homo."

Just wow. I wrote something to gah descriptions after whenever I wanted to look at someone's gear.
  • AeldraAeldra , using cake powered flight
    edited November 2015
    ".. in which @tarkenton wins the contest for the worst character description in any mud ever seen by a lusternia player". My condolences... that's yikes.
    Avatar / Picture done by the lovely Gurashi.
  • ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    Shaddus said:
    Fain.
    I decided to clarify this.

My first character was a tremendous flop. I had played other IRE games for a short while, but only 1-2 hours a day at work. When I started Lusternia, my aquamancer didn't do well due to my lack of knowledge of the game's history and politics. I almost quit, and tinkered with another character before starting Shaddus when the Ninjakari were opening. It was slightly boring as well, until I started to actually read the game's history and interact with some of the people (the gods of Magnagora) who were actually in it. I was enthralled by how Fain could give me a feeling of abject fear and a feeling of loyalty both at the same time. I joined His order, and though I've never been an exceptionally strong roleplayer, he hooked me.
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • EveriineEveriine Wise Old Swordsbird / Brontaur Indianapolis, IN, USA
    I first stayed because my cousin was playing, and I wanted to stick around so he didn't feel bad. But then I really fell in love with the deep lore of the game, and especially my guild. But I knew I was hooked during one of my first admin/player interactions. It was Everiine playing tag with Toma, the centaur colt. After that, when Ev got named Centaur Brother, and other NPC's actually -remembered- that, I knew there was something special here. Now, I feel like I've contributed important things to the game that I'm very proud of, having helped shape the basic RP of the Serenguard, and I'm very emotionally attached to Ev, and to the RL friends I've made.
    Everiine is a man, and is very manly. This MAN before you is so manly you might as well just gender bend right now, cause he's the manliest man that you ever did see. His manly shape has spurned many women and girlyer men to boughs of fainting. He stands before you in a manly manerific typical man-like outfit which is covered in his manly motto: "I am a man!"

Daraius said: You gotta risk it for the biscuit.

Pony power all the way, yo. The more Brontaurs the better.
  • Game family, all around. After 5 years, I'm still good friends with so many of them. Who would have thought that long lasting solid friendships could form outside from inside a roleplaying game. :) 

• The forum mafia games. ;))

Seriously though? What made me stick around was an event early on in my lifetime where villagers were disappearing and forced into being warriors for some strange army. I had zero idea what was going on. I was just told to follow someone and chant laetitia and that got me a city favour before I even know I could check city logs.

But when the Stewartsville mobs disappeared, I noticed and made others aware of that the Wainwright baby was left in the crib, and this was later acknowledged in the event post. I have no idea if it was planned to be acknowledged from the start,but that little detail made me feel so many things. That what I did mattered. That those who made the game had a keen and loving attention to detail. And that I was playing in a living, breathing world.
    Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.
  • Loving the reasons, btw. I'm reading past events posts mentioned here (the exploding Xion event with Lacostian was hilarious). :))

Past news posts are amazing! My goal is still to get mentioned in one (at least, I dont' think that's happened yet...). The stories we've been able to weave are quite deep and meaningful.
    Everiine is a man, and is very manly. This MAN before you is so manly you might as well just gender bend right now, cause he's the manliest man that you ever did see. His manly shape has spurned many women and girlyer men to boughs of fainting. He stands before you in a manly manerific typical man-like outfit which is covered in his manly motto: "I am a man!"

• ShuyinShuyin The pug life chose me.
    The combat used to make me actually log in and pay attention almost every hour, now I just log in and check back every 12.
  • CyndarinCyndarin used Flamethrower! It was super effective.
    First Fain and the d'Murani, then learning how to PK. 
  • What made me stay? People. What makes me fight? People.
    I think I'll just sign my name to @Rancoura 's post. Mine looks so sad now.