Lusternia vs Food: Cheeeeeeeeese Edition

124»

Comments

• RancouraRancoura the Last Nightwreathed Queen Canada
    Was that because silly kids would eat and choke on the small parts in the toys?

(We can still get those up here!)

Tonight amidst the mountaintops
    And endless starless night
    Singing how the wind was lost
    Before an earthly flight

• CyndarinCyndarin used Flamethrower! It was super effective.
    Fat American kids don't bother to chew. They just unhinge their jaws like snakes and devour candy whole.
  • wait, i thought that was 'dixie culture'...so i assume you're being sarcastic? @Celina

thati reminds me of augusters goop from charlie and the chocolate factory
    is dead like the dodo
  • ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    Technically, it's because the FDA doesn't allow food to contain non-food ingredients. That's also why King Cakes for Mardi Gras usually have the small, iconic baby figurine on the outside of the cake.

Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • Okay, so the other conversation that was taking place in Tweets distracted my attention from this conversation, and I finally got around to reading this over the last two days.

There was only one thing I wanted to contribute, but it took me over 24 hours fiddling with vanilla forums (stupid, stupid, stupid forums) to try and get the youtube embed link to work. In the end, it didn't work, so I'm going to screw it and just link it to you.

• SiamSiam Whispered Voice
    Azn foodstuff yesssssss
    Viravain, Lady of the Thorns shouts, "And You would seize Me? Fool! I am the Glomdoring! I am the Wyrd, and beneath the cloak of Night, the shadows of the Silent stir!"

#bringShikariback 

• edited November 2015
    does anyone have a good recipe for making cucumber pickles?

i've got  9 baby cucumbers that's been sitting in my in my fridge for a week, salt, sugar and the contents of an asian kitchen and no vinegar, except for apple cider. i'm not fond of the taste at all. too harsh and acidic! i don;t want to buy any ingredients as this is supposed to be a budget recipe

is dead like the dodo
  • ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    Is it bad that I kept watching Lerad's video for a while?

She's the Meat General, apparently.
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • Meat is good. It's why i watched Man VS Food. A six pound burrito? Yeah, no thanks.
  • Thanksgiving is coming. Discuss how gravy, yams and the vast landscape that is potato preparation confuses non-Americans. Fight to the death over the best cranberry sauce.
  • edited November 2015
    yes, explain thanksgiving rituals please!
    is dead like the dodo
  • I will explain the newly sacred ritual that my family has adopted in recent years, that of the Deep-Fried turkey.

Basically, it's not what you think of when you think of KFC or any of that other fast food chicken. Deep-frying your turkey basically makes what you remember as the dryest type of poultry into a mouth-watering treasure. 

Not to mention the wonderful world of flavors that open up to you. Not only can you explore flavor and marinade injection, but deep-frying is the only way you can enjoy the magic of brining. Basically, by taking hot water, stirring in some of your favorite flavors, then adding ice to cool it down before leaving the turkey in it for about a day, you can make sure that every bite of your turkey has flavor, not just the skin.

By the way, you know all those juices that leak out into the bottom of the pan when you bake a turkey and you have to futilely try to baste it with them? Yeah, if you deep fry it, those juices have nowhere to go and so they stay inside the turkey. The result is the juiciest turkey you'll ever eat, bar none.

As testament to the strength of deep-frying, my family always cooks two turkeys. And before last year when we were still baking our turkeys, there was always plenty of leftovers. Last year was the first year we deep-fried, and not a single scrap of turkey remained. 

Now go, and awaken yourselves to a whole new world.
  • TarkentonTarkenton Traitor Bear
    Iunno, I never have my turkeys come out dry.  However, I tent them until the very last minute, and I cook them low and slow through most of the day.  Keeps those delicious juices in, and thanks to the foil tent, basically self bastes itself.

That being said, deep fried turkey is one of the most delicious things on the planet.  But trust my family around that much hot oil?  Never gonna happen.

• Tarkenton said:
    Iunno, I never have my turkeys come out dry.  However, I tent them until the very last minute, and I cook them low and slow through most of the day.  Keeps those delicious juices in, and thanks to the foil tent, basically self bastes itself.

That being said, deep fried turkey is one of the most delicious things on the planet.  But trust my family around that much hot oil?  Never gonna happen.

<king of the hill gif>
    If all they do is make a small fire like that, I would say that isn't so bad. At least it is not a house burning down fire (no, I do not have experience with deepfrying turkeys or oil fires).
  • DaraiusDaraius Shevat The juror's taco spot
    My grandma's children never moved too far afield, so it's pretty easy to get all the aunts, uncles, and cousins together any time of year. We have meals together for pretty much any holiday or birthday. T-day is notable for the fixed menu sheer volume of food prepared. Our menu is always turkey, ham, mashed potatoes, macaroni and cheese, beets, some kind of bitter greens, rice, bread, stuffing (which is basically another form of bread), dessert(s), and whatever appetizers people care to bring. We've been eating the same recipes for as long as I can remember, and I'm not a huge fan of glutting myself, so I don't get as excited as the rest of my family. Since I usually provide at least some of the desserts, that's the only part of Thanksgiving that varies from year to year.
    I used to make cakes.

Estarra the Eternal says, "Give Shevat the floor please."
  • XenthosXenthos Shadow Lord
    If your turkey is dry, you're doing it wrong.
  • I feel like I'm one of the few people that doesn't mind dry meats. And that there is a thing as too moist.

And melted cheese on most things (pizza and sometimes pastas being exceptions) is disgusting.