Discuss Your Character

Comments

• KagatoKagato Auckland, New Zealand
    edited November 2012
    Kagato is a hard character to describe.  He cares deeply for the people that are close to him and would happily give his life to defend them and his home - he has done it on more than one occasion and will often run to aid a fallen city or guildmate, sacrificing himself if needed to bring them back to life. He loathes underhanded tactics such as ambushes and sneak-attacks and will not hesitate to make his opinion known on such matters.  He also tries where he can to make newcomers to the basin feel welcome, answering any questions that they may have and giving assistance when and where he can, assuming he is not preoccupied with other matters - if that is the case then they must sadly join the queue.  Incidentally his personality has changed a little each time he changed race (first from faeling to trill, then again to merian), but his most basic tenets have always remained in place.  He also tries to contribute to the city where he can, having run a couple of times now (unsuccessfully) for leader of Celest, but at present holding the positions of Guild Administrator and Minister of Culture.

A couple of times in the past I had considered shifting Kagato to another city or commune, but when it comes down to it, I always ended up sticking with Celest.  Kagato just feels at home there.

Kagato also holds a certain reverence for all of the divine with the exception of the circle of traitors (Please don't eat me Morgfyre... >_>), when he is not busy with other things he will sometimes go to the fulcrux to pay his respects - though lately he does not linger after Shikari killed him for outstaying his welcome :(  He doesn't hold this against him though, knowing fully well it is in Shikaris nature and personality.

With regards to families, Kagato holds a desire to start his own family one day, though there's a few families to my knowledge that would jump at the chance to take him in.  Ultimately I may have to settle with that path, though only time will tell.
    Never put passion before principle.  Even if you win, you lose.

If olive oil comes from olives, where does baby oil come from?

If vegetarians eat vegetables, what do humanitarians eat?
  • Reading these character descriptions, I can only come to one conclusion.

The basin of life sorely needs a therapist.

Anyway, my turn I suppose?

Kira's an idealist. Every action, every thought and every word needs to be "right". Her main difficulty is knowing what is right and when. How kind can she be, before she starts encouraging sloth. How harsh can she be before she becomes cruel. She wishes well for everyone around her, but simply wishing won't make anyone's situation any better.

She considers herself peaceful. While pacifism would be ideal, that simply isn't possible in this world, and she refuses to be a disinterested, passive observer to the world. If she can do something to better the situation for others, she'll do it. That's why she'll throw herself into the defense of her nation, even though she loathes fighting with every fibre of her being.

She also has a lot of problems with paranoia and distrust. She constantly believes everyone to be out to get her, if they even remember her. Being remembered by others usually comes as a surprise to her.

She also has a bit of adventurous streak. She loves to explore the new and learn more about everything around her.
    Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.
  • EveriineEveriine Wise Old Swordsbird / Brontaur Indianapolis, IN, USA
    I wouldn't say the current Everiine is radically different than his younger self, but he's certainly mellowed in his old age.

Young Everiine was passionately devoted to the Serenwilde. As a Trill, he knew his lack of physical strength would be a weakness, but he figured he could overcome that weakness with skill and careful planning of engagements. His mentor, Elmund, taught him to be practical, to look at the whole picture, and to channel his emotions into battle in striking ways. He tried to emulate the sweeping vision and wisdom of Brother Eagle, the Seer. He put his tribe ahead of everything else, even the rest of his own people, and dedicated himself whole-heartedly to the development and growth of the Serenguard. That singlemindedness could get him in trouble, but he didn't let it bother him--all that mattered were his people. It came as quite a shock when he was appointed through the ranks eventually to the post of High Chief.

Young Everiine was also more romantic. He waited for decades for his first mate to return, and was heartbroken when she returned for the last time. He gave little more thought to any sort of relationships for a good long time. He was sensitive and didn't open up easily.

Olld Everiine still retains much of that youthful dedication, but his age has given him greater wisdom and less desire to spring into action. In some ways, he comes off as a grumpy grandpa. He says he doesn't care what people think of him anymore, but the reality is that he still very much works for the respect of his people. He spent his entire career trying to be the best voice for his tribe, and that they are still grateful for that work and respect him to this day lets him know that he's not irrelevant. That's on the inside, though--on the outside, he hasn't kept up his appearance, letting his actual age show through. His voice rasps, and many of his comments could considered short and impolite. But he says we he thinks and believes. He is a weathered old Trill, but is still valued and is often called upon for wisdom and stories--and that's all he needs to be content.
    Everiine is a man, and is very manly. This MAN before you is so manly you might as well just gender bend right now, cause he's the manliest man that you ever did see. His manly shape has spurned many women and girlyer men to boughs of fainting. He stands before you in a manly manerific typical man-like outfit which is covered in his manly motto: "I am a man!"

Daraius said: You gotta risk it for the biscuit.

Pony power all the way, yo. The more Brontaurs the better.
  • Okay lessee Septim is...
    Tall, which means he is always tempted to condescend, I try to play him as nice as possible and he tends to avoid direct conflict with other people, but he is generally stubborn and ornery once somebody does upset him. He likes to be able to help people out above almost everything else, specifically dragging the Glom novices to Nil and Astral for their planar tasks. A major strength and weakness is his generosity which has led him to give tips that are 300% what is expected, and as a result leave him broke and warm-hearted. As the name indicates he is based around the number seven, which was a wonderful coincidence when he discovered Nocht's symbol as the Seven-sided star. Septim's main ties lie in the Ebonguard, which he always has and will be a part of, and his family who tend to always be there for laughs or help. Above all of this is his Glomdoring loyalties, and his will to help those in need in whatever way he can. Generally Septim tries to be as nice as possible whenever he is allowed to, or if he is not allowed to be directly nice, at least spare somebody a bit of grief. I am really tired so I'm probably missing something but yeah, that's all I can think of for Septim currently.

P.S. I remembered something, Septim is a warrior, but he tries hard to be very scholarly, and doesn't like the stereotype of an all brawn, no brain warrior that seems to be popular.
  • Uhm. Well. Cthazoth is very much an illithoid supremacist. He is absolutely convinced Illith will return one day, either by the illithoid finding some remnant and devouring it or vice-versa. He is loyal enough to Magnagora, but if Magnagora for a reason or another would break ties with the illithoid, well then, bye bye Mag. Tries to be polite, even if he doesn't understand all the subtle social cues and really, really dislikes it when people flirt with him. He is a bit young to get eaten, thank you very much. And he is a heathen. Kind of. Actually following a God is nothing but a pleasant little hobby until the world ends. Also, Keph-spawn are scary, and their eggs should be crushed.

That's about it, I suppose? Maybe?
    A horde of beings swarms about Your bulk. They are diverse in shape but are, without exception, horrific to look upon. Claws and teeth without number flash across Your vision, and nebulous masses of compound eyes and writhing tentacles and spindly antennae all twist around You. With the merest thought, You open wide Your maw and lazily swallow one.
  • Aurik is a predator. A lot of his thoughts and actions and reactions stem from that very simple fact - he's a predator, he's aware he isn't at the top of the food chain (yet), and so he delights in the prospect of hunting prey while worrying he might be on the menu if he gets in over his head.

When he's around people he doesn't know very well, he tends to be quiet, only speaking up if spoken to or if he actually has something he considers valuable to say (although just as often he considers snark as valuable as information). He tends to be very stoic, even-toned and calm, and even on those rare occasions he displays irritation generally it's no more than quiet muttering and lashing of his tail.

Around people he likes, he's much more open - he's more willing to smile and talk, more likely to make jokes at his own expense as well as the expense of others. He has a goofy side that actually takes a lot of effort to get to see.

He tends to be very nervous of people in authority, which has made him somewhat afraid of the Glom leadership and uneasy about speaking up, even with offers to help. He's also very nervous of his great grandfather, partly because his mother's spoken so highly of him! While he's uncomfortably aware of Septim's power over him, the two clash horribly, in part because of the 'stereotype' Septim tries to avert - Aurik is fully aware he's far from stupid, but both lacks interest in scholarly pursuits, favouring the thrill of a good fight, and is willing to allow the unwary to assume him to be a dumb brute to give him the edge. Septim is apparently one such unwary type, and this has caused issues between them.

Aurik doesn't have the patience to really help much with novices, but he's generally fairly kind towards them, and if the help they need is relatively easy for him he'll contribute - he might be reluctant to take a novice through collegium tasks, but he'd be happy to purchase a young Ebonguard a proper sword for him to hunt with (expecting it to be repaid eventually).

Loyalty-wise, Aurik is loyal to himself first, then his family, then his Order, then his Guild, then Glomdoring. Fortunately, all these organizations tend to work amongst each other anyway, and any who'd push him to betray any one of them would be betraying his loyalty to himself, so he doesn't foresee any conflicts of interest arising.

Of course, he's still growing in my head, so there may be more to add as time goes on!
  • Hiriako. How do I best describe him? I have tried to make him a complex character, which has been both aided and harmed by the years I took off of Lusternia.

Honestly, the way people perceive him actually boggles my mind at times, with people having mentioned fear and respect both. I never set out for him to be a leader. The only leadership role I intended for him to take was that of envoy, which I've done a fair few times. Always enjoyed that work, but it's designed to be more 'behind-the-scenes' and OOC. Obviously that didn't work out.

So, a brief biography perhaps? Hiri started life as Lucidian, and I still take a great deal of that concept into his daily character. Despite the acquisition of a changeling cameo, and the opportunity for RP (what causes Changeling? To him, it was a resonance with spirits caused by years of spirituality, one which has drawn spirits to him that empower and gift him with their former selves) that it provides, the core concepts of cool demeanor and intense curiosity remain. A desire to know, to understand, has always been inherent to the character and what drives him. That desire has manifested itself in the repeated appointments of envoy, as well as the plethora of skills which he possess. He truly is a jack of all trades. Except for forging, tattoos and that danged enchanting that he isn't allowed to have! The typical applies here, however. Skilled at many things, he possess true mastery of few.

His personality was designed to be calm, peaceful. Intense when necessary, but he is slow to show grand emotion. Thoughts of humour and kindness do tend to come more easily than acts of wrath, he possesses a full range of emotion usually kept in check. Hubris is definitely an issue, one which he struggles to control at times. There are attempts to compensate for this through kind and generous acts. To what degree that succeeds depends entirely upon the people viewing it. 

One aspect of him is a particular gregariousness. Inherently, most in possession of sapience are social creatures. Despite a tendency towards quietude, he still desires and seeks the company of others. His need for solitude is handled during his hunts, which he rarely shares with others.

Of dichotomous nature is his method of thought. Though intensely stubborn in many senses, his tendency to stick to a point of view coalesces around a viewpoint formed by a series of encounters with a topic, rather than just the initial. Had, in the early days, he been swayed towards the Taint, his attitude towards such now would be far more merciful and forgiving than the hatred and disgust which he tends to hide. If you feel little warmth, it's either neutrality or dislike coming from him. It can be hard to tell the difference.

Of further importance is his loyalty. Though known in a way for his movement from guild to guild (all within the Serenwilde) and lesser so from order to order (he's left two, once due to the goddess dissolving it, once due to pure inactivity on the part of all) he finds himself fiercely loyal to concepts and ideology, be it flawed or not. I can view little RP short of pure descent into madness that would ever break Hiriako from his home in the Serenwilde. In part, he feels as if he is part of the forest, and it is of him. This was existing in his mind long before he took seat as CL. In fact, it was the desire and abject need to heal his home that lead him to seek to serve. That, more than anything, seems to define who he is. He serves, through teaching, through leadership, through thought and encouragement. He has a need to help others, for that is what grounds him in the self and in the world.

I would be interested in hearing what other people have to say about Hiriako, so please, drop messages to me!
  • TacitaTacita <3s Xynthin 4eva!!!11
    I -love- hearing about how people have chosen to RP their cameos. It's my favourite artefact purely because it provides so much opportunity for RP :D
  • It really is a neat one, and I've had one for so long that I've had time to really think about it!
  • QistrelQistrel the hemisemidemifink
    I think if I got one I would claim that my cameo is made out of whatever Eyos splintered into. (Unless Eyos has been explained somewhere else and I missed it.)

• Morshoth is... well, complicated, I guess.  He's a lot of what I am, but with abilities that I could only dream of having.  I've tried so hard to narrow down what he is, but something always pulls me back into something else.

He's not a combatant, but will fight (not well, but he'll fight.)

He's somewhat an artist, preferring designing and writing.

He's a merchant (if I'd remember to keep his shop stocked)

He's been a politician off and on, right now is more of an on time.

He is very indecisive though.  He has five manses, and can't make up his mind what they are supposed to be.  His main manse/ship/shop has been a good half-a-dozen things since purchasing it.  He has yet to find a guild that he really is in love with, but has enjoyed the experiences he's gained from each.  (Who knows, maybe with the new -chemantics he'll go back to being a mage.)

Morshoth is also a thinker, and he will get things into his head and think and think and think about them.  Nothing may ever come of it, but ideas are there.  Occasionally they will come to fruition, but it takes a lot of motivation to do so.

In the end, I believe I'm going to push him to become more of a merchant/politician, with designing as part of the merchant side.  This is what he (and I) am happiest doing, so I think I've finally settled on something.

• Oh, the fun of trying to work out how to describe Laysus. But here we go, from the top:

Laysus started out a bit vague. I wasn't a particularly good roleplayer when I started playing him, so it took a while for the character to gain definition in ways that were separate from my own personality. However, given the environment in which he developed in, I found it kinda came naturally, there was a lot of people and history to bounce off, and so he got going.

One of the bigger inspirations upon Laysus has always been Merloch (oh how I miss him), who he looked up to hugely as an example of what a Moondancer should be. And then, working with other early moondancers like Raevynn, Ibaesha, all that lot, he kinda built up into a bundle of fanatic Moon-devotion, which then melded with fanatic Lisaera-devotion too once he was accepted into her order (he holds to the statement that he's only truly loved three women - his first wife, and then those two. Because he sets his heights high, and has some weird stuff going on in his head). So he's pretty much built around that devotion to Moon and Lisaera, and it's caused some trouble, but a hell of a lot of fun roleplay, and has lead to him being so stubborn and set in his ways that playing him when he's in an argument can feel a bit like he's a reallllly big rock with lots of tiny tiny people trying to push him around. Because of this, he's always been immensely loyal to the Moondancers, and the Serenwilde (although he has been known to push the interests of the guild over those of the commune, because the commune is further from the perfection of Mother Moon in his mind). This is pretty much his drive.

On top of that, he's incredibly prideful, and has a temper that causes him a lot of trouble, and me a lot of hilarity (although I'll admit that the last time I stopped playing was partly because his anger was bleeding OCly a bit too much). He can be very harsh to people who have annoyed him, and has a lot of trouble backing down from fights and arguments. I think the example of this that stuck with me most was what resulted in Lord Elostian's order being effectively banned in the Moondancers. He was trying to write his memoirs, with the character that was to become his second wife keeping him company, and a divine started talking to him. He assumed from various parts of the aesthetic of it, and the fact that it was intruding into his manse that it was Lady Lisaera talking to him - when he found out it was Lord Elostian, though, the pride kicked in (he was so very angry at being fooled, even if it was because of his own assumptions), and demanded that the god leave. He then went to Lady Lisaera and asked her to make sure that Lord Elostian stayed the hell away from him (because he had a "my goddess is better than him" train of thought), and then started a, well, a witch hunt (har har). As it was, he eventually found reason for the following rule regarding membership of the order:

"At current, Moondancers wishing to worship the following must have express permission from the triumvirate (potential members must have their membership of the Order in question approved):

- Lord Elostian for His selfish requirements that His followers put Him before Coven or Commune, thus making them a liability to us."

It's still there now, and is ultimately based on Laysus throwing a tantrum and heavily persecuting the Divine in question. He wasn't inclined to give his permission, either. That's the sort of anger he goes through. He's mellowed out a bit now, though - I'm trying to play him as someone who sees his anger coming and steps back to calm down. Doesn't always work, though.

He has an abject hatred of Glomdoring. He fought tooth and nail to stop the commune being re-awakened, against the old brotherhood of Crow, and when they succeeded it only made things worse.  He hates that the natural spirits are tainted (he views the taint as wyrd, it's not something I can be bothered to argue about OOCly), and he hates that that is now projected onto the Fae, who he takes a personal interest in protecting as it is one of the ancestral duties of the Moondancers. He even more hates the members of the Commune there, for the constant fighting, the challenging of his perspectives, and their being the greatest threat to Mother Moon in his eyes, as well as the greatest obstacle to purifying Crow and Night. There has always been slight wavering around this - mostly involving his interaction with the former Queen of the Night, Shayle (who was awesome in some ways, even if I know she wasn't too popular by the end of it all). She once cited him as her inspiration, for being a merciless fanatic, and that made him proud, but then lead to a lot of soul searching over working out -why- it made him proud. But as the old generation of Glom faded away, and the new ones grew up, he found himself losing any reason not to hate them.

Similarly, he has a very strong dislike of the cities. Both for their heritage, disrupting the true and natural way of things and what he views as the way things should be (spirits and nature and harmony and all that stuff), and for the harm he's seen them do in various wars (he blames Celest for driving away his first wife, as well as all the various things he's seen Mag and Celest do to the Wilde and Ethereal). His dislike for Magnagora is almost as great as that for Glomdoring, as he detests the taint for what it did to the world (also a bit of Merloch's influence showing through there).

He's now trying to get back into things, launching himself into working for the Moondancers full on, as well as trying to get a handle on all the things that cropped up while he was asleep, and make Mother Moon ascendant once more.

tl;dr version: Hates most non-serens, operates on anger, pride, and "what would Mother Moon/Lady Lisaera/Merloch do?".

Please note: I deliberately play a very flawed character. Just because he says or does something, does not mean I agree with it. He's a bit of a <censored> really
  • What about early Moondancers like Hiriako? *halo* (Ok, that's the ego bleeding through. Ignore this!)
  • Tacita said:
    I -love- hearing about how people have chosen to RP their cameos. It's my favourite artefact purely because it provides so much opportunity for RP :D
    It's a gift from the Fates to enhance the efficiency of those who challenge the Soulless. All it does is increase the elasticity of the soul and form beyond what the journey through the Portal accomplishes (as race change for any who haven't made the journey is all but impossible). Simple, but that's what I've ran with.
  • If I still had my cameo (I didn't have it for long, traded it in for my Cord, which I LOVE) I'd totally roleplay different personalities per race, like I have multiple different shards in one body... that'd be fun!
  • Majanishi has always been complex to me, but also remarkably simple. I created him after I foolishly suicided my first character who was around at the beginning of all of the first guilds in the Moondancers, and I was determined that I would shape him into someone that I wanted to play.

I chose to place him in the Serenguard because I had already been paying in Serenwilde, and wanted to keep my friends about me. I also, for some reason, always choose the barbarian/fighter type classes. I really wish I wasn't so much like that, but here I am. Maja has always been very focused on making the Serenguard work more efficiently by reducing beaucracy (he probably wouldn't do well in Hallifax, however I am extremely interested in the roleplay aspect of the Institute and have had a good number of chuckles in response to the things they say.. until I realize they're serious, and that just makes it even more funny). He held a couple mid-level leadership positions, but I always felt like I hadn't fleshed him out in ANY way that I was satisfied with.

You'd think since I've had him for a good 180 years of in game time that, by now, I would be a demigod or something, or have led the guild in a leadership position that mattered on a larger scale, but alas I suppose my personal vision for the character has blocked me out from that. Sadly, that is about as much depth as Majanishi has. He's been a member of the Serenguard all his life, and he really hasn't done anything remarkable. I've seen demigods rise and fall on my left and right as years went by, and here I sit, still trying to leave an impression that might make Majanishi remembered in the annals of time.

I am intensely interested in other people's opinions about Majanishi, especially criticism or negative comments/feelings regarding his personality. I will not take anything said personally as a player, nor will I take any of it in game unless mentioned directly to the character, but I would be fascinated to hear what other Seren think, as well as Gloms, since those two groups probably have the most interaction with me. Send by PM if you would like to say something!

"He was well fed, and on his way to being slightly intoxicated--which contributed to his sense of wellbeing. And, most important, he was among friends. There can't be much more to life than this, he thought."  -Pug's thoughts on his first Ale (via Raymond Feist)

Visit my personal authorial website. (coming back up soon, with my first publications)
    Coding Resources: Mechanic's Corner | Code Academy | StackOverflow
  • The tae'dae Thul started out in the Ebonguard a long while back, and was mostly notable for literary submissions. He became a founding member of the Nekotai when it opened, briefly served as Nekotai Champion, and somehow reached the rank of Demigod. Mostly, however, he's been the tiniest footnote in Glomdoring history.

Thul struggles most with belonging. He's not sure, as an intellectual, that he belongs in a tae'dae body. He's not sure he belongs in the Glomdoring, wincing every time the dogma comes up and not really being sure the local elders, or really any elders, are worthy of worship. Sometimes the oddities of Lusternia make him question whether he belongs in the world. He tries to make sense of what he can, laugh off what he can't, and writes as a coping mechanism when none of that works.

He needs to know things. He'll pester people for information when he can, go in and do the grunt work if he can't, and if anyone is actively stopping him from getting information he'll quite merrily strangle them. That aside, he thinks of himself as a kind person, and cares a lot for the commune mates he bonds with. He really feels that a few people around Glomdoring need a good long hug when things aren't going quite right, but he's pretty sure this would get him in some trouble. His secret (or perhaps not so secret) desire is to see the Ackleberry restored... he promised himself he would leave his fellows in Glomdoring for nothing less.

He's mostly me. He has my curiosity, my irreverence, and indulges my fascination with poking the fourth wall. He started out Ebonguard because I wanted to play a tae'dae, and went Nekotai when that opened up because I'll take fists over weapons any day of the week. Personality wise, he genuinely doesn't belong in Glomdoring at all, but it's where he ended up, it's where I connected with people, and... it's where I dropped my lessons. Not that I'm giving up Stealth for anything.
    Bumping this because I love reading about other peoples' characters, especially those I don't get/have no cause to interact with.
  • I read through this thread, and it made me sad.  Why?  Reading about these detailed individuals that people have crafted makes me feel even more ashamed about Lilija.  I've never really sat down and put any serious consideration into what Lilija the character is like, what she does, etc.  For the most part, she's just me splatted out into Lusternia.  These feelings of guilt are then compounded by the fact that if I were to sit down, figure out what and who and why I want Lilija to be, odds are it would result in an extreme personality shift that would be weird for anyone that knows her.  Le sigh.
  • edited March 2013
    Xeria is kind, friendly, honorable and happy-go-lucky fox.. Before the portal she's had a normal childhood in a very large happy family and pack. She's was born the runt of the litter, she's got little patience for being bullied, and will not hesitate to lash out with sharp words and knives (if she's capable of doing so), but only when she is absolutely sure that she's got the moral high ground. She doesn't remember who her family is or where they lived, only that it was a happy life and that they were farmers and hunters in the forest. 

She died young of the taint, either from eating something tainted or being infected by the taint. Her family gave her to the fates in desperation, to save her life. Being a very young cub at that time, and emerging from the portal as a gawky teenager, she still retains a child-like innocence over many things. She has trouble making the connection between what she knows and how it affects her.

Life after the portal has been a little trying from her point of view: she's extremely grateful for the apparent immortality the fates have granted her, otherwise she'd be dead the first time she picked up her shofas and took them to hunt.

Since walking the basin, she's discovered the perils of exploring, the joy of cake and whiskey She enjoys adventuring, exploring, eating (cake), drinking (whiskey), The hunt, reading and learning. She's friendly and will stop to talk to anyone willing, even illithiods and the undead. 

Xeria views the forest as her home and the commune members as part of her pack and family. She'll fight to protect it in anyway she can and help anyone within the forest as best as she can.  She thinks nothing of asking a thousand questions on where to do that or how to find information on that from her elders. It's been nearly two years now, since the portal, for her and she still has along way to go. While she's gained some confidence along with some rudimentary knowledge of how the basin works, there are many things that necessitate a nerve racking trip to the fates. Since adopting a sibling, she's also discovered that she's got a nasty temper when provoked...one that extends to claiming inappropriate hunting trophies because after all what good is immortality if you cannot rely on it.

In short, she's friendly, innocent, naive, a little irritating at times, honorable and patient but foolhardy at times. She's also forgetful, short sighted and understands that she's got to work on herself before she can being to have confidence in her abilities.

is dead like the dodo
  • It's been about a year and a half since I last logged in for any reasonable amount of time, and I never really did much even when I did play, but I think this'll help me out if anything, as I'm trying to take it a little more serious this time around (instead of just logging in to kill people).

Liok started out in Magnagora, and that's where he's always belonged. He bounced about the guilds because he had an immense desire to learn everything of the Engine he could, never satisfied to stop at just one particular facet of Magnagoran society. Eventually, he settled into the Nihilists, where he fell in love with everything the Demon Lords stood for.  Slowly, he began to grasp the concepts of battle and became pretty decent.  He loved nothing more than to get a chance to defend Nil or Earth and watch as the souls of his helpless victims were torn from their bodies.

Then, a certain guild champion approached him, acknowledging his few accomplishments in combat.  This man asked for his hand in marriage, and suddenly, Liok changed.  Instead of wanting nothing more than to serve the Engine, he wanted nothing more than to serve, and impress, his husband.  Whether or not he is aware of this, Liok is still uncertain.  It was a few years later that his husband began speaking of leaving the Engine for the Glomdoring, and Liok had no desire to be apart from his glorious husband.

Liok was never happy in the Glomdoring, and soon began to resent his husband.  He felt as if he was ripped from his home, but slowly began to realize this was all his own doing and he had no one to blame but himself.  Liok basically grew a pair, looked at himself closely one day, and left for Gaudiguch.

He began to associate with a different group of people, and eventually fell in love with a combatant of Gaudiguch (whose name I cannot remember at the moment).  Though he was still married and did his best to fake a devotion to his husband, he wanted nothing more than to leave him for another man... who happened to be married himself.  Liok soon fell into dormancy, unwilling to try any longer.  He felt he had forsaken himself in order to find love and simply could not bear it any longer.

Liok has now awoken from this slumber.  With new eyes, he looks across the Basin as a toy.  The inhabitants of the Basin exist for only one thing - domination.  He has become driven to seek power.  Not political or social power, but the raw power he can use to manipulate those around him, to bind them to his will.  He will no longer be a subservient twat, but will instead become the one behind the scenes, pulling the strings.  And when that doesn't work, he will simply seek to destroy.

Aside from the backstory, Liok is a proud Aslaran.  He often finds himself ironically falling prey to the illusions of others, as he can't be bothered to care about them in any capacity.  He's finding Gaudiguch to be a horrid place full of boozers and silliness and can barely stand the presence of most... though it would be tough to discern any of this.  He addresses others not by their rank or their accomplishments, but by their race.  This has been getting him into a little social trouble lately, as it seems many people in Gaudiguch are offended by this.  He routinely acts as if he simply doesn't understand why it could offensive, but he knows - he simply does not care.  This is a way for him to detach himself from these people, to keep them in check in his own mind.

He finds Aslaran women to be repulsive, and cares not to say it openly.  Merian are only good for steaks, Lucidian should be turned into windchimes, and Trill should be stripped of their wings so that he may have a comfortable pillow.  He does, however, have a fondness for Loboshigaru, as well as Tae'Dae.  To him, they represent strength and comfort, and one day he will have one for himself.
  • ElanorwenElanorwen The White Falconess
    Elanorwen was originally planned as an alt that would never go anywhere... playing her to take my mind off things that annoyed me at the time. As such, the beginning was really confusing altogether... she had lived in the wilds near Angkrag for a bit too long and had forgotten how to speak properly, let alone how to interact with people. She had a natural fear of males as the lone elfen girl running into orcs tends to lead to one consequence, and that turned into her speech impediment growing even worse around men. Their presence still makes her cringe inwardly, but she has managed to get her exterior self under control and doesn't show it.

When she contested Enyalida, it was an attempt to express her displeasure. She wasn't really looking to win the election in the first place, but it happened, even if it happened only by a narrow margin. That is when she realized that she needed to grow up and stop showing her nervousness to everyone around her through her stutter. She kind of jumped into a marriage without even being certain what it all entailed, but she still managed to keep it going for a while.

After moving to Glomdoring, she tried her best to cultivate a fearless outward appearance, focusing primarily on learning how to best defeat others in combat. The whole family thing was again done on a whim, but she believes that she has found her parents, ones that she had lost somehow during her youth. Her age changed in an attempt to forget all the horrors of her past and only remember her new, happier life.

Having divorced and still feeling hurt over the way that turned out, she decided to refrain from romantic interaction with anyone, instead choosing to leave such matters for a later time, when she feels comfortable with everything she has accomplished in her life, and she is still looking forward to the day when she might do something special and unique, even though there is really no plan for what such an act might be.

Forgiveness is the fragrance that the violet sheds on the heel that has crushed it.
  • This looks like a fun thread to jump in. Most of you probably have no clue who my character is, but oh well. I enjoyed reading several of your things, so presumably someone will enjoy this. Allyrianne is a young Isuneite Hallifaxian trill who is a member of the Symphonium. I've been clinging to the "No memories from before the portal" excuse a lot, but I'm toying with the idea of having Allyrianne be from a lower caste Hallifaxian family. It would partly explain her first Logician article, and her lack of social graces. While she is primarily an artist, and hasn't had much exposure to the science side of Hallifax, she's actually pretty heavily influenced by mathematics in her art forms. There's one statue of a mathematician in the lower wards in particular that might have been her first real exposure to that sort of thing, and sparked her fascination.

I'm hoping to explore some more of the mathematics in music side of things as time goes on, when I've adjusted a bit more and stopped doing so much hyper "oooh, lore, what does this do, oh this is shiny let me try!" In some ways Allyrianne's still fairly fluid as a character as I figure her and her place in Lusternia out. At this point she seems like she's shaping into a fairly logical, grounded trill who's greatest experience with emotion has been through Isune's Order. There was one point where she was suffering from emotion overload, and there's something of a chance she might end up getting emotionally addicted to Inedra (who is absolutely amazing, massive massive massive kudos to @Isune and much thanks to @Nelras for showing Allyrianne that).

Character quirks I've been playing with include difficulty curtseying, although she's been practicing and people she's more comfortable with it isn't really noticeable anymore. The compressed time is kind of nice in a lot of ways, but it means that evolution of habits either happens too quickly to really be noticeable or absurdly slowly. Something to adjust to, I guess.
  • KarlachKarlach God of Kittens.
    Oh boy, erm.

I've tried hard to not reveal a lot about Morkarion OOCly, purely because I've always wanted people to hold the opinion of him they have through IC interaction without it being spoiled for them by them knowing better.

First and foremost Morkarion is Orclach (and thank god for Racial hats, because if they didn't exist I'd stick with him as one for life) and an absolute fanatic of his progenitor. If it were possible to bring back Orlachmar by gathering enough Orclach essence to reform the Star God, Mork would without any thought to his own self sacrifice. Knowing this to be an impossibility, he instead tries to live up to his racial heritage, he's loud, he's brash and he's keen to resolve matters with violence.

In his efforts to live up to what he believes is to be a worthy shard of Orlachmar's essence, he's come across many questions, with the intent of one day taking a pilgrimage, to seek the answers and write them down in a book for future generations of Orclach. This would be his legacy, that they will have guidance to ensure a strong future for the race. But such things for now are but ideas and plans of what will be his life's work, and he's no plans of dying soon.

He's blunt to a fault, he'll speak his mind with no intent to infer or deceive, everything is meant precisely how he says it. Lying isn't his strong point either, not that he's terrible at it, but he sees no reason to hide from the truth. He takes pride in what he does, denial of his actions would be an insult to his own achievements. Ask a question and you'll get his blunt honest answer, and he doesn't care whether or not you like what you hear.

Yet for all the honesty, he's an exceptionally closed off person, people see fragments of his inner personality but there's not enough for any one person (or at this point in time any group of people) to complete a full picture of his real character. With a lack of motivation to pander to other people to endear himself to them, he simply lets him form their own opinions knowing they know little, people will call him arrogant, brash, a bastard, a jerk, an idiot, evil, and various other things and he's completely ok with it.

Not that he'll not try cutting their heads off for the insult just to further cement their opinion though.

The divine voice of Avechna, the Avenger reverberates powerfully, "Congratulations, Morkarion, you are the Bringer of Death indeed."

You see Estarra the Eternal shout, "Morkarion is no more! Mourn the mortal! But welcome True Ascendant Karlach, of the Realm of Death!

• ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    edited March 2013
    Oh, man. Who to talk about...Just kidding.

I'm currently playing Entrias. Oddly enough, his mentor is Shulamit. Shulamit's player had an alt whose mentor is Pesukaru. This happened before Pesu and Shulamit even met, roughly at the same time (I think ) and neither of us knew about this oocly until way after Pesu and Shulamit were married. Anyway.

Entrias was, for lack of a better word, an experiment. I've never done really well or fit in with Hallifax, and I've always been terrible with melder-type guilds. I started him one day to try out Aeromancy, got him a staff, and then went back to playing Pesukaru for a long time.

Entrias woke back up about an IG year before Aerochemantics came out. I knew it was going to happen, and I wanted to try it out. Little did I know that I would be stuck right in the middle of the event, even donating the money for the machine to open the rift to Air for Zedlon Windwhisper. That was kind of scary, because I donated the gold, and I think the admin mob-possessing the statue didn't notice my giving the gold to him for about fifteen minutes, where @Kialkarkea and I kept muttering, "check your robes, it's in there".

Entrias is a sort of roundish trill, more accustomed to the lab or shop than the battlefield. As with all my alts, he has a love of designing, going so far as to design an engineer's tool belt complete with hydrospanners and screwdrivers, as well as an engineer's maintenance suit.

He's not very Hallifaxian in some ways; he has a temper, can be spiteful, and sometimes gets pissed off entirely too much for his own good. It's balanced out by his joy of helping the city advance no matter the cost, working to learn more effective ways of using his skills, and so on. He's still learning, and isn't afraid to admit it. He also has great pride in being a Gordian (Pavok), and feels he fits the family somewhat well. He tends (once again, much like almost all my alts) to enjoy helping novices.

Oh, and he has two addictions: fancy flavored cakes and fancy flavored tea. @Aison has an aethershop that stocks these, and he'd live there if he could.

Edit: he's also eyeballing Isune's order, which @Zyphora keeps prodding him towards, but feels torn between that and @Zvoltz's order, where most of his family are members. He feels he could fit into either, but is afraid that if he joins one, the other will turn out to be the more matched one. So he offers to both (mostly to @Isune) and keeps deliberating/over thinking the issue.
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
    The couple of times I've started alts in Hallifax to try and actually nose about the lore/culture there (because I find it really interesting but have never managed to stick a character, I think mostly due to the novicehood hurdle - or I keep picking character concepts that I only enjoy for an hour or so, I don't know), Entrias has been the one asking how I'm doing and if I need any help. Which is awesome :)

(It also makes me annoyed that I am awful at helping novices, especially if I try to be good at it. Effort and achievement seem to be inversely proportional there :S)
  • ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    This is addictive.

@Vitas has always been one of my favorite characters. He's a black aslaran, with dreadlock/beaded hair. He's moderately attractive, though fantastically unsure of why @Eliron and @Druken felt him fitting of being a member of Shee-Slaugh. As it stands, he's neither an artist or particularly well-spoken, or even good at subtlety; instead, he just likes to behead people.

Growing up, Vitas would bring corpses home for his parents approval like others would bring a designed piece of jewelry. A follower of Crow where most of his family followed Night, he often sits alone in his nest, chewing a bit of carrion and wondering how next to serve his pack. He's fanatically loyal to Glomdoring and @Shikari, and of all my characters, the least likely to ever leave his home for another. He's not sociable, he's not interested in small-talk (besides the occasional chat with fellow Crow followers), and he's not interested in females of any kind. The only female he's -ever- seen as worth his interest is @Svorai (once again, Crow) and @Celina, who serves more as an Alpha Female in his life.

Vitas isn't interested in combat, or sparring, or proving his prowess. He knows his limitations, and doesn't charge in, instead waiting for his enemy to come to him. He went through a phase where he would teleport to Serenwilders who weren't paying attention, decap them, and spore home. Not looking to prove anything, he simply had the idea that an enemy who didnt care to keep an eye out for him wasn't worth keeping alive.

He's one of the few warriors I've had where I runed their weapons; a short customized katana named Ko-Kitsune-Maru, formed of white iron-sands and etched with foxes in various states of trickery towards larger opponents.
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • edited March 2013
    Tacita said:
    (It also makes me annoyed that I am awful at helping novices, especially if I try to be good at it. Effort and achievement seem to be inversely proportional there :S)
    Sorry to disrupt the thread, but honestly, I think it kind of has to be this way.

Lusternia is very good at keeping its upper crust busy with new things and preventing them from having too much chance to get bored. As a result, it generally feels obligated to keep up with all of these things at any cost (particularly for the sake of min/maxing), which generally only leaves time for novices and such when you've absolutely run out of other things to do. As an example, I'm gathering up all the different people who bother to spend the time to accumulate quest curios in my head - enough to actually finish them - and I can't think of a single one that will even spend half as much of that time with novices.

You can call it arrogant if you like, but I think it's inevitable that there's always a group like that in any macro-social setting. Many of the brightest and most proficient scholars of their fields in the real world also happen to make absolutely awful and unhelpful teachers.

You can't make features for the lunatic fringe and then get mad at them for single-mindedly obsessing over what you give them!

/tangent
    edited March 2013
    That's not quite what I meant, actually (my bad wording) - I meant that the more effort I put into trying to help novices, the worse I am at it. I'm aware that the time I spend doing other things means I'm less likely to help novices too, but for me the main issue is that I'm just rubbish at it.

I don't know the answers to most of their questions, I don't remember what it was like before being demigod even though it wasn't that long ago, things like that. Then if I actually try to make a concerted effort I just become that person who won't stop asking if you're doing alright. Or I panic and try to answer the question even though I don't know the answer, and get it wrong.

/feeding the tangent

ETA: I miss Vitas!