Shopkeeping Expansion Ideas

I consider myself a combatant, but second to that I like to keep a shop on the side. I really enjoy the Lusternia merchant business and sometimes I wish we could expand a bit more on what we can do in our shops. I know that Estarra has added a few things like artisan packages which were super awesome! Hopefully with a few more additions we can expand on shopkeeping even more. This would be especially awesome for those of us who would rather be a merchant than always chopping people's heads off. 750 credits for a shop is an investment! And that's not even counting lessons for skills or shop expansions. Hopefully we can use that 'investment' to actually give some profit, where now making a profit on a 750 credit investment is probably not ever going to happen (unless you're Faragan).

- First, to accommodate my suggestions below, allow items to be sold for a credit price (unbound) in shops. I know that can be a bit iffy in some situations but credits can be transferred freely if they're unbound anyway. This would make it easier to sell very valuable items such as esteem or tonics or other expensive items. Idealy you could make it so an item has a credit and a gold price at the same time (ex: a packaged throne is around 30-70k gold, you could sell it for 1-2 credits instead). I know that's probably a little more complicated to implement than I think, but it would definitely allow for some additional ideas or uses.

- Allow completed curios to be sold in shops. Before we get into this, right now the only method to buy curios from people is to spam market with ads (which is super annoying) or use the ads function (which is really hard to upkeep and messy). If we could sell a completed curio in a shop, people could search for them very easily and they wouldn't have to go through hell to try to find them and trade them. If we could sell by credits, then someone could charge 50 credits for a completed curio or even put a gold price on it if they wanted.

- Allow curio pieces to be sold in shops. This is a bit more complicated than a completed curio because pieces have to be traded for pieces. But just think. You wouldn't have to paste your curio collection to another website to comb through the thousands of pieces players have to find that obnoxious ONE missing piece. You could just do WARES 3RD STRAND OF THAT DAMNED BEARD and you could just see if they had it waiting for you.

To accommodate the odd way we have to trade a curio piece, a shop could act more like a trading post. Where the owner puts in all their curio pieces they want to sell, a buyer who wants that piece will have their own piece they don't want, and they'll buy the shopkeepers piece by indicating which piece they want to trade for. Then the shopkeeper can tag on a gold/credit surcharge in addition to the trade to allow for the shopkeeper to make a profit. With how many curios are now in the game and how hard it is to find the pieces you want, I think this would be an awesome addition. And hopefully it would help our poor market channel to become something more than the 'curio ad' channel.

- Allow Ikons to be sold in shops. Right now Ikons are only really useful in gestalt battles (which aren't really popular), but otherwise they're pretty much forgotten. You can consume them for an influence xp boost though and some people like to collect certain sets, so selling them could be beneficial.

- Allow Tattooists to create temporary tattoos that can be sold in shops. I realize this is more about tattooist than a shopkeeper, but this is in line with the change they made for Artisan Packages. Tattoos is the only trade that has no use for shopkeeping. Tattooists are probably the most annoying trade to find and the most time consuming trade to keep and practice. It's so hard to even want to tattoo a 5 weight tattoo for someone because it's so time consuming. If a Tattooist could create a temporary tattoo that can be packaged and sold, a few problems could be solved:

1. Finding a tattooist won't be like the quest for the holy grail. You can just find a tattoo you want with the power you want in a shop and use it.

2. Tattoos are so permanent and hard to change. With all the artis that allow skillflexing, classflexing, and raceflexing, tattoos needs change. Trying to get a tattooist every time you change it's basically impossible. If there were temporary tattoos, the tattoos could last about 12 irl days and they could be washed off and replaced with different ones with different powers whenever pleased. I imagine it would be similar to the Artisan Packages, costing power to make and maybe even like a scroll or paper comm like a real temporary tattoo would require to apply.

*** Maybe this would be a better envoy item, but it's still nice to see what others think about it.

I don't care if I would have to buy a credit item to allow for these types of transactions. I just know they'd be extremely useful and make the overall player experience for things like curios and tattoos more enjoyable. Any additional ideas or critiques are welcome.

-----

Nilofer says, "Xena is here, riding Xena, the Xenaesque Xena. She is wielding Xena in both of her hands."

Comments

• -Mending Kits (Made by Tailors): Basically works exactly like mend, but only works once and anyone can use it. Some people are really attached to their clothes, and tailors aren't always available.

-Doll rental! I have no idea how this could possibly work, but the ability to rent and play with dolls I'll never be able to trade for or directly purchase would be fantastic.

-The ability to alphabetize your wares without grabbing and dropping groups of items repeatedly.

-More shop flavor! Maybe colors for bin names or something. Anything to personalize the experience.
    I occasionally like to pretend that I'm replanting all of these herbs to attract bees, and might one day form an alliance with the bees and take over the Basin. Then we could have a wonderful tea party with plenty of honey and the best tea blends.
  • I have one major request... that city shop upgrades are not lost when transferring owners! Those upgrades are expensive, after all!
  • ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    City shop upgrades already aren't lost when transferring owners. I believe the shop log might be, but the space upgrades aren't lost.
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • PhoebusPhoebus tu fui, ego eris. Circumstances
    Shaddus said:
    City shop upgrades already aren't lost when transferring owners. I believe the shop log might be, but the space upgrades aren't lost.
    I'm almost entirely certain that the help file used to say otherwise. Was this changed, or did I completely hallucinate the entire thing?
  • ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    Phoebus said:
    Shaddus said:
    I'm almost entirely certain that the help file used to say otherwise. Was this changed, or did I completely hallucinate the entire thing?
    Nope. Expansions are permanent.
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • PortiusPortius Likes big books, cannot lie
    I would also like ikon sales in shops. Especially if you can bundle a bunch of ikons together so that you can sell grab bags of bulk commons and whatnot.
    Any sufficiently advanced pun is indistinguishable from comedy.
  • I still really want this to be a thing! Especially selling curios in shops even just for gold. Has any admins looked at this? Any possibility of any of this happening? It'll really help the playerbase in finishing their curio sets!
    -----

Nilofer says, "Xena is here, riding Xena, the Xenaesque Xena. She is wielding Xena in both of her hands."
  • XenthosXenthos Shadow Lord
    There are a lot of curios I might be interested in completing. Too many, in fact. Trying to organize and self-manage, by hand, which pieces I need (and continually having to reidentify which ones I do not) is so much of a headache that I cannot make myself follow through any more. Too many pieces, too hard to deal with them to get what you want. As such, I just don't bother with trying to complete them any more en masse.
  • That's very true. But that's why something like this would be so helpful. Ads are the worst and trading on externals sites forces us to be ooc with each other. It's too bad there isn't an easier way to track what you need, but this way we could easily find what's available to trade. I really enjoy creating curios but it really can be a headache sometimes!
    -----

• XenthosXenthos Shadow Lord
    I was agreeing with you. I even clicked agree on your post before I responded! :)
  • Xenthos said:
    I was agreeing with you. I even clicked agree on your post before I responded! :)
    Yeah! Sorry. I worded my response badly XD
    -----