Lusternia Wiki

Comments

• okay. can we host the design wiki thing on the lusternia server itself? under community,  next to the gallery and maps?

is dead like the dodo
  • edited January 2016
    We are presently not expanding the wiki but revising what already is there. As for designs, probably not because it's one of the things that people can and should seek out in game rather than have it all ready to go on a wiki. I would sooner see an explanation of the design process and where to start on it with a few examples. It is the official wiki for Lusternia and its purpose is to expand on help files and offer help, not be a repository of in-depth things like designs. Similarly for books, we would not c/p IG books into it for the same reason. 

If a site such as you suggest is made by players though the wiki would gladly add a link! I mean, it's been done, players have made a few of those before. But as mentioned earlier here,  what would be ideal is just letting people see public/org designs in the game itself. We may or may not be able to do that in the future, it's something I am very in favour of in any case.
  • LavinyaLavinya Queen of Snark Australia
    I've been plodding along doing little fixes, like inserting the extra new skills that came with the stat overhaul. Doot doot.

• Not sure if I'm adding more wanted pages than I'm clearing out of the list (yay habit of linking anything that could make an article >_>)
  • EnyalidaEnyalida Nasty Woman, Sockpuppeteer to the Gods
    Tailoring, Knighthood, and Axelord have been updated with the new skills. I'm going to eat dinner, and then come back to put the rest in for curious readers. 
  • LuceLuce Fox Populi
    Drocilla said:
    I would sooner see an explanation of the design process and where to start on it with a few examples.
    I could probably draft something on this, if it hasn't already been done and one of the current wiki custodians wants to shoot me a PM indicating they're willing to implement it. 
    That's all the new warrior skills in. Working on the trades now. 

If you write an explanation of the cartel/design system I'll make a space for it on the wiki. The same goes for any guides anyone wants to write, Chronicler or not. Right now we're especially looking for novice hunting/influencing guides, brief explanations of the new warrior/wounding mechanic, and updated equipment summaries.  

Similarly, if there is some detail about an ability that isn't obvious from the AB, please send me a message with those details, so I can create a note on that ability with the details. 
  • LuceLuce Fox Populi
    Might be handy to touch on where within the guildhall each Researcher weapon and where within Celestia/Nil each pact is formed.
  • VivetVivet , of Cows and Crystals
    If someone is willing to get hair curios in, I can try to compile a list of the ones I have. Pretty sure we'd need @Thayan if we want a more complete listing, however.
  • Hah. I don't have them all, but I will certainly contribute the ones I have (admittedly that's a lot).
  • TarkentonTarkenton Traitor Bear
    I've got a good few of the beards for any that might be needed.
    Lusternians know all about beards.
  • Guys, I have said it twice now - we are not adding curios right now and if and when we do it needs to be vetted as appropriate for the official wiki. When we get to it, you don't need to search far and wide and gather it one curio at a time either, I will provide the information and Chroniclers can parse it.
  • TarkentonTarkenton Traitor Bear
    edited January 2016
    Well that's stupid.

Edit: You know what, no, I'm not going to walk this one back.  Drozilla, this isn't directed at you, since you're a mouthpiece for that statement.

It's a fucking stupid decision to not add curios to the wiki. Though the other IRE games have similar items, between the utility, buffs, and neatness of some of the curios with their ambients, or hair effects, beard effects, etc., I think that makes them a fairly unique feature. The wiki, which apparently is what we should hit up when we're curious about something technical about the game instead of taking a look at a help file within the game, is naturally the perfect place for it. Instead, we get to continue to direct folks to the outdated list that is available from Xiel's website, and heavens forbid someone like me who's a voracious help file/wiki reader think to look at the official wiki for information. Instead, you get to hope that said person manages to hear about Xiel's website from somebody.

Just...serious. @Estarra, what possible reason is there for this decision when you've got player drones who will take the information and make it pretty and wiki-ify it for you? Do you understand the purpose of a wiki? This is can't poor piss out of a boot if the instructions were printed on the bottom levels of stupid.

I'll take my warning/ban now, kthx.
  • LavinyaLavinya Queen of Snark Australia
    Drocilla said:
    Guys, I have said it twice now - we are not adding curios right now and if and when we do it needs to be vetted as appropriate for the official wiki. When we get to it, you don't need to search far and wide and gather it one curio at a time either, I will provide the information and Chroniclers can parse it.

Chill. That sure didn't look like 'no never ever curios are banned from the wiki' to me. 

• edited January 2016
    Yeah, given that there's a lot in there that still needs to be written up (163 wanted pages and counting, mostly areas/gods/history) a project like adding curios is just more on top right now, later on though I'd personally love to see the wiki grow and be even more awesome.

Sidenote: I might have added templates for area sidebars and linking to helpfiles on the website >_> Thinking of adding a God sidebar with their symbols, shrines, etc <_<
  • Saran said:
    Yeah, given that there's a lot in there that still needs to be written up (163 wanted pages and counting, mostly areas/gods/history) a project like adding curios is just more on top right now, later on though I'd personally love to see the wiki grow and be even more awesome.

I think there's a false dichotomy here. I don't think just because you add a new area to the wiki means that a) that you have to have 100% coverage of that new area, lord knows we didn't in the past and b) that the currently wanted pages won't get worked on. For example if curios were added that might cause a new person to step up as a chronicler. I think wikis do better when more freedom is given to impassioned contributors so I understand @Tarkenton's frustration.

• XenthosXenthos Shadow Lord
    edited January 2016
    For myself, I have never used Lusternia's main wiki. I always used Xiel's because all I have ever cared about were curio effects and skillsets which he had all set up for ease of use. Curios are a major feature of the game, they provide mechanical benefits, and (as had been said) not having them on the main wiki ends up with me still just... not using the main wiki. You can put all the information there that you want, but if it is not what people are looking for they will not go there. My two cents (and I know this is not your call Drocilla, I just am a bit at a loss as to why you were told not to do it to the point that it requires "official vetting").
  • edited January 2016
    Wobou said:
    Saran said:

I think there's a false dichotomy here. I don't think just because you add a new area to the wiki means that a) that you have to have 100% coverage of that new area, lord knows we didn't in the past and b) that the currently wanted pages won't get worked on. For example if curios were added that might cause a new person to step up as a chronicler. I think wikis do better when more freedom is given to impassioned contributors so I understand @Tarkenton's frustration.

I think there's also a great deal of impatience, it's already been said that there is a goal right now, which is updating/revising what's there. Then after that stage additions can be looked at. But rather than being like "okay, so it'll get looked at later", the response to "Not right now" is to rant about not getting a curio database straight away. And yeah, from what I'm reading the response wasn't a "no" it was a "not right now"
  • EveriineEveriine Wise Old Swordsbird / Brontaur Indianapolis, IN, USA
    I rarely ever used the Lusternia Wiki either because it's range of information was so very limited. Xiel's website or others always had more and more in depth information. I'm glad that's changing somewhat, but I'm of the opinion that the more information that's there the better, and especially if players get to add again, then it's no more work on the admin anyway.
    Everiine is a man, and is very manly. This MAN before you is so manly you might as well just gender bend right now, cause he's the manliest man that you ever did see. His manly shape has spurned many women and girlyer men to boughs of fainting. He stands before you in a manly manerific typical man-like outfit which is covered in his manly motto: "I am a man!"

Daraius said: You gotta risk it for the biscuit.

Pony power all the way, yo. The more Brontaurs the better.
    I suspect that permission has not been granted or withheld for adding curios to the wiki at this point. The point there not being that it's forbidden, but that it needs to be asked first. 
    Enyalida said:
    I suspect that permission has not been granted or withheld for adding curios to the wiki at this point. The point there not being that it's forbidden, but that it needs to be asked first. 

I think you are missing the point. Someone made the decision that uniquely game-related features require getting permission before they can be added to the Wiki. It just does not make sense to me.
    Drocilla specifically stated that it would "require vetting as being appropriate," which reads as "permission is necessary". That is what I, at least, am going off of. I just cannot see why it would require authorization.
  • Also, I think Drocilla was also trying to point out that when it comes time for curios, that we would pull all the info from the code which would be the most up-to-date and comprehensive and also you guys wouldn't need to run around trying to compile them. So, yeah, chill!
  • edited January 2016
    "verb past tense: vetted; past participle: vetted make a careful and critical examination of (something)."

Ieptix said:
    the administration will provide the relevant curio information (to make sure it is both accurate and complete).

7c95dbc25a4a9ae292cccb899a49a79b18529207e135ebccd89c0877d386ebea
    ALL HAIL THE MIGHTY GLOW CLOUD.
    Estarra said:
    Also, I think Drocilla was also trying to point out that when it comes time for curios, that we would pull all the info from the code which would be the most up-to-date and comprehensive and also you guys wouldn't need to run around trying to compile them. So, yeah, chill!

So can we take this as approval? Because if so, that satisfies me; I am not requesting it right now, just am at a loss as to why there was any notion of vetting being necessary. If it is definitely going to be there eventually, then I am fine with waiting a bit.
  • Xenthos said:

So can we take this as approval? Because if so, that satisfies me; I am not requesting it right now, just am at a loss as to why there was any notion of vetting being necessary. If it is definitely going to be there eventually, then I am fine with waiting a bit.
    Uh, no? We don't want people adding curio stuff because it would be a waste of effort as we would end up deleting it and replacing it with data from our database.
    Estarra said:
    Xenthos said:

Uh, no? We don't want people adding curio stuff because it would be a waste of effort as we would end up deleting it and replacing it with data from our database.

I wasn't asking for approval for us to do it, but if Drocilla (or someone else) could use that statement as approval without having to go seek it out again when they are ready to do so.
    edited January 2016
    Okay, so is this still the case:

Drocilla said:
    "Thirdly, anything new that isn't on the wiki already (for example curios) has to be vetted by me as appropriate for the official wiki as there's some things we can't list." [Emphasis hers]

Do additions of new areas of the wiki require administrative go ahead or not? Because there were statements that yes, new areas of the wiki (for example curios) need to be okayed, because some things will not be allowed. Then statements in this thread that no, new things are allowed once the wiki is otherwise up to date.