Warriors and Gear

Comments

• RiviusRivius Your resident wolf puppy
    By the way, are the current lines all final?
  • Marcella said:
    Shields are for parrying. 

Not sure about damage resist - probably none.
    Standard tower shields seem to offer 2% damage resist. Great Rune of Shielding adds 3%. It seems either like a serious devaluing of the rune, or pre-Overhaul stats were basically meaningless. But then, like you say, shields are for parrying. And compared to the new armor runes, 350 crs for a permanent shield that might also be your main weapon/instrument isn't that bad, I guess.
    The purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure pure reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!
  • EnyalidaEnyalida Nasty Woman, Sockpuppeteer to the Gods
    Shields give 2% additional resist. Shield runes give 3% instead (+1%). 
  • Warriors also do very high damage, not the same level, but opencavity was doing 3300 damage to me from axelord.  1000 damage every hit with no work or pre-reqs. 

I think damage in general wasn't lowered to meet with armor is all.
  • QistrelQistrel the hemisemidemifink
    So, can shield runes be attached to anything a monk can wield? Wondering for the corner case of monks bashing with a whip/shield.

It probably doesn't matter if I can't get a shield rune cause 1% extra defense when hitting mobs is pretty meaningless.

• I purchased a new weapon rune for 300 credits.  When attached to my katana, I did not gain an additional slot for enhancement.  Is this a bug or must I attach 2 of these runes since it is a two handed weapon to get the extra slot?
    From announce post:

A new artifact, the Great Rune of the Elite Weaponsmith has been
    released. Each rune attached to a one-handed weapon adds one new
    enhancement slot, and each two attached to a two-handed weapon adds one
    new enhancement slots. Weapons may gain up to three new slots this way.

• Does this mean mobs will be doing a lot more physical damage as well now?
  • If you guys would like to see the new ABs @Enyalida is parsing everything into the Wiki as time allows. Some of it is already done, make sure to check the Recent Changes page.
  • TremulaTremula Banished Quasiroyal
    All of the new abilities aren't in yet, are they? Because Carve (Pureblade) hasn't been working on their impaled victims.
                          * * * WRACK AND ROLL AND DEATH AND PAIN * * *
                                         * * * LET'S FEEL THE FEAR OF DEATH AGAIN * * *
              * * * WE'LL KILL AND SLAUGHTER, EAT THE SLAIN * * *
      * * * IN RAVAGING WE'LL ENTERTAIN * * *

Ixion tells you, "// I don't think anyone else had a clue, amazing form."
    Can runed weapons get two of the same enhancement? Can two-handed weapons with a single rune get two of the same enhancement?

The announce post says kata weapons haven't been re-worked, but when I probe my chain I get this:

It is a two-handed weapon.
    It has no enhancements.
    It can hold up to 1 enhancement(s) in total.
    There are no poisons or magical effects on a jakari of iron spikes and skulls.

So what's up? Can I get an enhancement on it or not? Also is it supposed to only have one slot, or is that a temporary the-monk-changes-are-not-in-yet thing?

• ShuyinShuyin The pug life chose me.
    Monks are not ready, that's probably temporary.

I'd be interested to hear what you guys think of the remade warrior specs. I had nothing to do with it at all and would like feedback now that it's out in the wild.

Also how many enhancement slots can armor have? Is it 6 (3 base for splendors + 3 runes) or 5 for robes?
    So, after testing a bit it seems people are doing quite a massive lot of physical damage (including non-warrior/monk stuff) compared to before. Any chance armour could be buffed back to roughly where it was? Right now damage shot up about 60% (maybe even more) in raw damage and was near one-shotting people.
    Is this player damage only, or are mobs hitting 'harder' too? Haven't tried fighting big things yet.

• edited January 2016
    @estarra

Will a temporary refund be offered for shield runes, now that their benefit has changed? If so, how long will it be?

(Normal shields give 2% physical protection, shield-runed items/shields give 3%)

Also related to the above, will they be repriced?

Can we please reinstate armstat to show what the total physical protection is currently active, and the source of it? Example:

armstat
    You have a total of 15% physical protection from:
    MasterTattoo Armour .................. 12%
    A shield of Lerad's Greatness ........ 2%
    A random thing that adds armour....... 1%

Or put it into bodyscan, or something.

Also, Ieptix, monk abs need to be updated. Specifically these:

AB TATTOOS PREPARATION
    AB TATTOOS TATTOOMASTER
    AB KATA TATTOOS

Lastly, clarification: does AB KATA DEFLECT do anything at the moment? (And should it?)

• Also @estarra

What happened to my weapon enhancement ideas. =(

• UshaaraUshaara Schrödinger's Traitor
    @Ieptix

While damage and armour are still being tweaked, I'd like if the Rune of Absorption artifact's effect of nullifying physical damage (for pvp only, if that's possible) be considered. When deepwounds were cured by applying health, there was justification for it to mitigate monk/warrior damage, but now with curing deepwounds divorced from healing vitals, it feels like an overly harsh penalty. 
  • CyndarinCyndarin used Flamethrower! It was super effective.
    Woa woa, if we're keeping the "status quo" in regards to warriors having massive health piles and no downsides, warrior counters like RoA get the same treatment. 
  • EnyalidaEnyalida Nasty Woman, Sockpuppeteer to the Gods
    Rivius said:
    So, after testing a bit it seems people are doing quite a massive lot of physical damage (including non-warrior/monk stuff) compared to before. Any chance armour could be buffed back to roughly where it was? Right now damage shot up about 60% (maybe even more) in raw damage and was near one-shotting people.

Seeing as armor is outside of the ten level system, I'd far prefer for out of control damage to be toned down instead of armor strength increased. 
  • SynkarinSynkarin Nothing to see here
    Why don't we bring armor to inside the resist system and adjust damage accordingly

Everyone's happy

Everiine said:
    "'Cause the fighting don't stop till I walk in."
    -Synkarin's Lament.
  • Off-topic from the armor discussion - AB BLADEMASTER PIERCEARM suggest that the mod will afflict with damagedrightarm/damagedleftarm. The high-level description and reality shows that it just afflicts with clumsiness. I'm guessing the AB file's just wrong? I wouldn't complain if you switched the clumsiness out for damaged limbs, though. :)
  • I'd much rather armour be brought into the resist system. I thought one of the key principles of the Overhaul was to streamline/simplify combat, and lessen the exceptions?
    See you in Sapience.
  • CyndarinCyndarin used Flamethrower! It was super effective.
    I'm down for it being brought within the resist system. 1/10 for regular robes, 2/10 for splendors, 3/10 for plate and tattoos. 4/10 for masterarmor.

The status quo for warriors and monks has completely changed, and things that nullify their damage should be looked at while we try rebalance. Saying that just because warriors have high health means their damage should be nullified does not make sense to me.

But looking through overhaul bonecrusher, there seems to be two kill options,

BashBrain which requires crit wounding, and the pre-requisite affs of damaged skull and the target being blacked out.

Barring a lucky beast hypnoticgaze blackout, this will take two rounds, and right now damaged skull + slickness is curing at crit head wounds before I have arm balance back. So while it is still too early to say that this kill method won't work, it will be tricky when you have to also account for passive heals, allheale and being hindered.

This only leaves damage kills through bruising + pulp (requiring prone + >300 bruising). I don't have numbers for pulp damage yet, but if damage kill is our only other method then I maintain things which nullify damage have to be looked at.
    I disagree that RoA needs to be looked at or changed.

That's the nature of the fight

By the same argument, Vitality, numb, Hod and various other damage mitigating skills should be looked at as well. I know I've had vitality prevent a dchord kill more than once.

Everiine said:
    -Synkarin's Lament.
    Petition for artifact that nullifies mana/ego drains. Sign here.

(facetious)
    There are two levels of tattoo armour, normal and master. Would have to take that into account if people want armour to be inside the resist system.

Ushaara said:
    Petition for artifact that nullifies mana/ego drains. Sign here.

(facetious)

To be frank, mana/ego drains are inherently different due to their formulas. While you can increase damage (and resistance), you can't increase mana/ego drains in the same way (certain skills will improve it, like stealing a shadow in Night) but they're usually a %based + constant drain (5%+200) etc. That said, I'm not opposed to nullifying mana/ego runes.

Everiine said:
    -Synkarin's Lament.
    edited January 2016
    Does tattoo preperation do anything at all now?

edited January 2016
    I don't mind armour/robes being brought into the resist system as long as damage across the board is where it was before the gear overhaul dropped.

With respect to RoA and warrior damage, I think what's more important is to fix the various insta-kills so that they're viable, rather than try to make damage kills a viable route for warrior. Damage kills are honestly boring and fraught with issues. I'd rather we stick to the old status-quo where we kill strictly with wounds, afflictions and insta-kills with requirements.

That's not to say I'd be opposed to attacks that do dedicated damage in a spec that's properly designed around it (e.g. if hypothetically it made sense for BM, making haymaker do damage based on total body wounds). But our regular hit-to-hit attacks shouldn't be able to wear someone down in a 1v1 imo without significant work (e.g. the target is completely locked down).