Reign - The Mafia Game Thread - English Mafia Win!

Comments

• LuceLuce Fox Populi
    Milady requests that I point out, if monsieur Chirbo were a jester, he could have used his peppers to target someone else, earning him the lynch at that point rather than at the end of the day.
  • UshaaraUshaara Schrödinger's Traitor
    I don't think I could have picked a more appropriate image above regarding how I feel about lynching Kiradawea, but since I don't seem to have drummed up enough support to push that through, and quite a lot has come out of this Day phase as is.

Unvote.

Vote Chirbo.
  • SylandraSylandra Join Queue for Mafia Games The Last Mafia Game
    edited January 2016
    Current Vote Count Update:

Silvanus - Tekora (1)

Lavinya - Celina (1)

Luce - Chirbo (1)

Chirbo - Shaddus, Falmiis, Lavinya, Silvanus, Yarith, Ssaliss, Synkarin, Ushaara (8)

Yarith - Allyrianne (1)

The lords and ladies of the French court have spoken!

With no alternative, the French nobles continue to wander through the dark passageways with a mounting paranoia that looms with each new twist and turn in both their conversation and surroundings. Doubts as to the Catholic allegiance of many present lead to a whirlwind of accusations, eventually landing on a stuttering, anxious Chirbo. To dare call himself a Protestant in this company, surely he must be mad. There is no choice, the court agrees, except to punish him for his heresy.

"For the Pope!" one cries as they pin poor Chirbo down upon the ground.

"For France!" another cries, untying a costumed sash from her waist and handing it to another noble nearby. He flexes it in his hands and, in a makeshift noose, brings it about Chirbo's neck. He struggles, but it is all for naught.

"For Scotland!" a final voice calls out as Chirbo is lynched in a public display for all to see. All at once, the mask falls away, revealing his true identity:

[Aloysius Castleroy]

Dear, sweet Aloysius Castleroy. Where to begin? You were born to a fine noble family with wealth beyond imagining, but it never inflated your ego. Instead, you learned to love your work in the spice trade – peppers particularly! – but sadly you always found it difficult to interact at court due to, well, your honest and straightforward nature. You hold views that are very contrary to many in France, being a man well beyond your times. For example, you believe in a woman’s right to education, to her own inheritance, and her right to choose a husband. However, that is not your most radical trait.

You have recently converted to Protestantism, believing the Catholic church to have become corrupt and lost its spiritual path. Make no mistake, however. You are still French and support Mary, Queen of Scots wholeheartedly. You simply share a belief system with…well, her enemies. Wouldn’t it be lovely if faith was simply a personal thing, instead of a political tool? You win when all threats to France are eliminated.

Innocent Evangelical: Despite your allegiance to France, if investigated, your controversial religious preference may be revealed. As such, it may be best to tread carefully in the days ahead. [Miller Role]

Pepper?: You may, ONCE during the game, offer one of your signature peppers to a member of the court during the Dayphase by saying, “Would you like a pepper, [target]?” The delicious treat will be so spicy that they will find it hard to do much of anything for the rest of the Dayphase, much less vote! [1-Time Use: Blocks a person from voting during the Dayphase. The total vote count required to lynch will lower accordingly.]

*Note: You are a fictional character who only exists in the Reign universe. (Also, your fandom nickname is Pepperpots.)

A horrified gasp rings out as the realization that Chirbo was innocent finally settles upon those gathered. "He was a heretic," one still says, softly, but the panic that had fueled those gathered just moments ago has already begun to fade into dread.

"What are we becoming?" a noblewoman whispers, and no one knows how to answer her.

"May God have mercy on our souls."

Night mercifully blankets the catacombs once more in shadow, and each noble takes to their own corner of the passages, left to contemplate the weight of what they have done.

---

IT IS NIGHT TWO OF THE SIEGE

KING HENRY II SITS ON THE THRONE OF FRANCE

GOD SAVE THE KING!

---

You now have 48 hours to message me your night actions. Good luck!

Daraius said:
    "Oh yeah, you're a naughty mayor, aren't you? Misfile that Form MA631-D. Comptroller Shevat's got a nice gemstone disc for you, but yer gonna have to beg for it."
  • SylandraSylandra Join Queue for Mafia Games The Last Mafia Game
    edited January 2016
    Two screams herald the dawn of the third day of the siege.

All the nobles gathered suddenly jump to their feet to investigate the sounds, splitting in half to make sense of the strange noises that pierced the night. Whirling from tunnel to tunnel, the nobles breathlessly cry out all the names they can think of--"Mary?" "Francis?" "King Henry II?"--but only the mocking echoes of the caverns answer them back. In the early morning, the cloak of nightly shadows has only begun to lift, masking any would-be assassins from the flock of anxious courtiers. It becomes hard to determine who was here from the start from who joined the concerned throng later on; everyone's masks have remained firmly on.

At last, the source of one scream is discovered. A servant sobs brokenly over the corpse of one esteemed noblewoman, whispering, "It wasn't meant to end like this."

For a moment, no one says anything. Then finally, one of the braver among you pries the delicate lace mask from the deceased's face. "I'm sorry," he says softly, "but we have to know." 

You look, and Luce's poisoned body stares up at you with lifeless eyes. Luce was...

[Marie de Guise]

As the mother of Mary, Queen of Scots, your allegiance is clear enough. You want your daughter protected, at all costs. Though she has been the Queen of Scots since she was but a babe, it’s you who has really kept Scotland together, hasn’t it? You’ve served as regent for so, so many years. The burden of the crown wears on you, but moreso, your failure to keep Scotland intact plagues you with guilt. That’s why you put together this marriage alliance between Scotland and France; Scotland is falling weak to Protestant unrest, and only the Catholic forces of France will do to keep the Stewart rule intact. Never mind England, should Mary’s claim be realized. Regardless, if you’ve learned anything from all the political unrest in your country, it’s how to be aware of the people around you. If this is the only skill you have at your disposal to protect your daughter, and your country, so be it.

You are Scottish and allied with France. Like your daughter, you are a staunch Catholic. You win when all threats to France and Scotland are eliminated.

Regent Queen of Scotland: You may send a servant to track the activity of any suspicious courtier at night, and they will report back their actions to you before daybreak. [Tracker Power]

A solemnity settles on those present, one far worse than any from Chirbo's lynch the previous day. This has confirmed your worst fears: there are those among you who wish you dead.

But if there were two screams...why was there only one body?

IT IS DAY THREE OF THE SIEGE

KING HENRY II SITS UPON THE THRONE OF FRANCE
    LONG MAY HE REIGN!

It currently takes 8 nobles to execute a member of the French court.
    Daraius said:
    "Oh yeah, you're a naughty mayor, aren't you? Misfile that Form MA631-D. Comptroller Shevat's got a nice gemstone disc for you, but yer gonna have to beg for it."
  • Can we get a headcount here?
  • I have to say, @Sylandra, you are very good at conveying a delightfully ominous tone.
    Unfortunately I have to go, and can't really process, but yikes.
  • My sleep was restful until the screams woke me.
  • We really need everyone to chime in here, we might have a day-jail situation.
  • SynkarinSynkarin Nothing to see here
    I'm here and a bit queasy

Everiine said:
    "'Cause the fighting don't stop till I walk in."
    -Synkarin's Lament.
  • SilvanusSilvanus The Sparrowhawk
    At least we know we aren't spread along religious lines, sorry Chirbo. Your sacrifice will be remembered for your unwarranted attack on Marie.

If there were two screams and only one death, maybe there is a cult among us, or a day jailer, I guess that could be a possibility.

2014/04/19 01:38:01 - Leolamins drained 2000000 power to raise Silvanus as a Vernal Ascendant.
    2014/07/23 05:01:29 - Silvanus drained 2000000 power to raise Munsia as a Vernal Ascendant.
    2015/05/24 06:03:07 - Silvanus drained 2000000 power to raise Arimisia as a Vernal Ascendant.
    2015/05/24 06:03:58 - Silvanus drained 2000000 power to raise Lavinya as a Vernal Ascendant.
  • That was a bit of a shock. I knew killing Chirbo was the wrong decision. 
    (I'm the mom of Hallifax btw, so if you are in Hallifax please call me mom.)

== Professional Girl Gamer == 
    Yes I play games
    Yes I'm a girl
    get over it
  • Chiming in for the head count. 
  • ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    I'm still here.
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    I'm still here.
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
    a 37 minute doublepost!

New record!
    2014/04/19 01:38:01 - Leolamins drained 2000000 power to raise Silvanus as a Vernal Ascendant.
    2014/07/23 05:01:29 - Silvanus drained 2000000 power to raise Munsia as a Vernal Ascendant.
    2015/05/24 06:03:07 - Silvanus drained 2000000 power to raise Arimisia as a Vernal Ascendant.
    2015/05/24 06:03:58 - Silvanus drained 2000000 power to raise Lavinya as a Vernal Ascendant.
  • LavinyaLavinya Queen of Snark Australia
    I'm here. I have no idea what to make of this. I feel like I've been tugging at a thread only to find it firmly embedded in a giant knot.

• I'm still here too.
  • Also, I will still maintain that killing Chirbo was the right thing to do. Thanks to that, we now know that the Protestants aren't a cult (otherwise he wouldn't show up as a Miller), and that the Protestants are the driving force between this situation we're in right now.
  • 2) Ushaara 
    4) Celina
    11) Kiradawea 
    16) Vivet

Still waiting on check-in from them.
    I tend to agree with Ssaliss. Unfortunately we live in the Medieval era, and he was a necessary sacrifice to make with his attitude.

However, I would like to bring attention one thing with Kiradawea that she said. 

"If anything, I'm looking at Ushaara. The spiel between him and Tekora seems staged. Tekora was not that far into being lynched, and at that point several people have spoken out, some even indicating that they weren't inclined to vote for Tekora. So why did Ushaara want to use the power? To me, it felt like a ploy to coax out more information on who Tekora is and what role she's playing. Ushaara was also not under any pressure, so there was no real need to reveal that he's the governor. The only reason I can see was that he wanted to show that he's the governor. In which case he could've shown it during the first day, to help push the discussion forward. It makes me wonder if something changed. So." 

Ok, so let's go over this. Tekora claimed roleblocker, Ushaara claimed his role was important, but at least was important enough to protect Tekora and use it on Day 2. Who did the Mafia kill? The Cultist did not kill anyone?

The only person that died was Luce, who quite honestly, was a nobody. The only thing Luce was known for was being the target of Chirbo, who ended up being town. After Ushaara used a power that saved Tekora. After Tekora claimed roleblocker. We know that the Mafia or Scum targetted Luce over Ushaara and Tekora. Why would the Scum, Mafia/Cultist/Psycho target Luce over someone that claimed as a Roleblocker and someone who prevented another person from being lynched? Those are both strong powers. I would definitely aim to off one of them, if I were either an a psycho or scum.

Some can claim "well what if they think you are doing that so you try to out think them?" That's simply a no. If you are given the chance to take out a roleblocker, you do so. Either way, you at least go for the other person that saved someone during the day, those are powers worth killing over taking a chance on Luce. They are -known- powers. Luce is a roll of the dice.

Now, let's go back to what Kiradawea said. She is no stranger to Mafia games, as has been evidenced throughout this thread. Tekora was never really in danger, let's be clear of that. My continued assault and passive aggressiveness guaranteed that she would never be near a lynch. Ushaara did not need to save her and Tekora never needed to role claim. Neither of them died, nor were a target, unless they were turn to cult.

Kiradawea mentions quite a few responses that I'm afraid to quote, but it was when she responded to Ushaara in the huge post, hopefully this works:

" Again, the intropost specified the faith in coloured text. It's such a huge "NOTICE ME" that it can't have been put there accidentally. Historically, faith was the huge deciding factor for loyalty and support during these times. Something that Silvanus excellent history lessons have supported. "

" It was Tekora who said it was a terrible idea to reveal Governor because it'd tie up protector abilities, something I disagree with because governor is not a problem scum wants to go after in the early game"

I will disagree with the above statement. While Kiradawea thinks that not going after the Governor is not a good idea early in the game I think is wrong. If they claim early enough, you kill known powers when you can. Neither known power, roleblocker or governor, were targetted. Even after Kira's claim. Either she was right, and governor is not good enough, but why not roleblocker? Neither? Doubtful, you don't roll the dice when two known powers have been shown. They can't guard both.

Now, to go deep into the historical realm of why, and what I would do if I'm designing a game based on a show based on history.

I would throw a curve ball. It is far too simple to have the English as mafia or as a cult. My hypothesis as the English is a survivor role. My reasons for this:

1. ) If King Henry dies, Francis takes the Throne. Francis is married to Mary, Queen of Scotland. That unites the thrones of France and Scotland. That is not good. Historically, they both die young, but if they didn't? Maybe goodbye England?
    2. ) Queen Elizabeth takes over the English throne after Bloody Mary kills a bunch of Protestants. The Tudor hold over England is not safe. Not only are the French aiming to control the Throne, the Hapsburgs are as well. Spanish Armada of 1588? That's because Queen Bloody Mary was married to Emperor Charles, who the sun never sets on.
    3. ) In a state of unstability, facing religious prosecution, and a Queen with no heir? You think England is going to attack the King of France to unite the crowns of Scotland and France? It seems unlikely to me, but I do not watch TV.

The English have been losing to France since Joan of Arc, they are not about to try and take over and destroy the French line. Not only taking on the historical note that France will beat England for the next 200 years (and till 1815 in Europe, but lose overseas), you would think that Sylandra would try not to make the answer so obvious. I would do the same thing in her situation.

My hypothesis is that either House of Bourbon or House de Medici is making a move for the Throne of France. We should not be looking at religious lines, we have seen that any God-fearing man may be Catholic, but that does not mean loyalty to France.

House of Bourbon takes over France and rules France for the next 250ish years, with a burp of Napoleon's. They gain a lot by the fall of House of Valois.

House of de Medici has its roots within the Papacy and Italian mercantilistic houses. We are within a time frame of King Henry and his six or seven or eight wives, who dumped Rome so he could divorce his wives. The Pope and Rome do not carry the same weight as it once did. They are looking to reign in their influence.

If I were someone who designed a mafia game in this era, I would do something of the above. It's the only reason why I suspect Ushaara and Tekora on top of what Kiradawea said and outlining about how they weren't not a target.

If they were a target, then they quite possibly were made a cultist, and it would benefit us to lynch either one to find out.

Statistically, it makes sense to kill a known role over taking the chance on killing Luce, that is why it seems odd that neither were targetted, and if they were, they were made cultist and made the scream.

I would personally vote Tekora, I do not trust House de Medici at all. They gain way too much power after King Henry dies, and Princess Claude, historically, is a club footed, hunchback. It is through House de Medici's marriage offer that House Bourbon takes power,  Margaret, who House Bourbon inherits France, is extremely young at this point. She is so young that when her older sister dies in childbirth with the future Spanish Emperor. Margaret gets offered by Catherine de Medici to the Emperor of Spain.

Claude has a direct claim on the Throne of France, and soon by extension, Scotland. How can it be profitable to claim as the heir of a King, to not be attacked? Tekora claimed that a protector should protect Ushaara during the night, over a direct heir to the Kingdom of France? 

TL/DR: We know it's not religion we are divided upon. I'm suspicious of who has the most to gain with the loss of the King. De Medici and Bourbon have the most to gain. Ushaa and Tek have claimed/were protected way too early and not suffer any consequences. They showed their hand and suffered no consequences.

Vote: Ushaara
  • VivetVivet , of Cows and Crystals
    I feel like it is best if I speak up about my knowledge today, as I now know too much not to.

I am an investigator. On the first night, I investigated Othero and found his livery to be Navarran. I'm still not 100% sure what to make of this - of how to try to interpret his allegience from it, or if it was just meant to confuse me into making an early claim. Regardless, you all get to take this information into the coming days.

Last night, I investigated Synkarin, and am quite sure I saw a British signet ring on his hand.

If this is somehow a red herring, then my investigation powers have to be useless. So I'm going to go ahead and

Vote: Synkarin

Prime ideas for subsequent investigation are Kiradawea, Lavinya, and Silvanus. I suspect deciding on an investigation target collectively might be for the best so that they aren't jailed on the same night (that would prevent the investigation, right?). Kiradawea for her overall mafia skill, Lavinya due to the circumstances of night 1 and her apparently being jailed, Silvanus to attempt to clear the air between him and Tekora.

I'm still half asleep right now and will read over things more thoroughly when I'm properly awake.

• LavinyaLavinya Queen of Snark Australia
    I feel I should reveal more about myself - I don't have any power of my own, not day or night.

What I do have is a direct line to the King, as his consort Diane du Pontiers (ie I am a Mason who can talk privately with the King during the night).

I don't think I'm particularly important, save for my knowledge of the King, and of course I will keep him safely enthroned. I don't want to reveal the player yet, as that would paint a big target on their back and I can't help but think that if he dies, everything turns into chaos. 

I am happy to trust the word of Vivet. I was actually just musing that there was likely mafia among those who post but don't say much, namely Shaddus or Synkarin. Vivet's post just helps confirm my suspicions. Therefore:

VOTE: SYNKARIN

• I am certainly willing to trust Vivet's eyes in this case.

Vote: Synkarin
  • (also, on a slight sidenote, I'm coming down with a cold, so I might get a bit more confused than usual these coming days)
  • By the way, did anyone get jailed tonight?
  • Actually, I think I'll

Unvote

I still think Synkarin is our best target at this point, but it's probably better not to jump into it and discuss what can be discussed during the day, and lynch towards the end of it.
  • UshaaraUshaara Schrödinger's Traitor
    Just a quick, I'm still about post for now. Will respond to Silvanus and give my take on the new information when I get a bit more time.
  • SynkarinSynkarin Nothing to see here
    Oh sheesh

Yes, I'm British, but I'm trying to put Mary on the throne. Being a good Catholic, I don't want a Protestant on the Throne. 

I really have nothing to back that up except that I can tell you that Celina is in fact Queen Catherine De Medici. I discovered that the first night and while I attempted to take a good look at you Vivet, some pretty girl kept me busy until morning and I was unable to discover anything (Tekora? or maybe the person that blocked/jailed him the first night?)

You've now forced both our hands though.

Everiine said:
    "'Cause the fighting don't stop till I walk in."
    -Synkarin's Lament.