Ministry Revisions!

edited March 2013 in Ideas

I am going through looking at scrolls and such, and some Ministry power things came up that I thought would be good to touch on:

First off, can the city leader be able to change the owner of clans/manses now that they are permanent once deeded?  I understand why it wasn't in place, but now that they can't be undeeded, it prevents that.

AMBASSADOR:

Novice locator was a great touch.  Maybe give them the abilities like guild leaders have to look in inventories of novices, maybe the score too?

CITY POLITICS DECLARE <city/commune> WAR/PEACE/NEUTRAL, must be confirmed by the Council/City Leader (maybe at least three?) Could show up somewhere in the Halls of Justice, or CITY POLITICS.

TRADE:

An ability to place commodities into the shop without selling them would be nice.

Some kind of commodity trade command would be nice for trading between cities/communes, like CITY TRADE GLOMDORING <x> SILK FOR <x> WOOD. Their Trade minister would CITY TRADE GAUDIGUCH <trade number> CONFIRM.  Could look at CITY TRADES to get this number.

Shoplog, like many people have asked for.  Or just make the economy log show it.

Something to look at prices in another city would be nice, even if not completely accurate due to pricing. (Similar to ledger, but shows only the prices of cities/communes)

STEWARD/TREASURER:

These are perhaps the least active of ministries, so it'd be nice to have them looked at.  Not sure what they'd do, but maybe we could narrow it down to one.  Don't believe either can actually remove funds from the city, so it would be on city leaders to make sure they were not one of the ministers who could remove gold.

POWER:

It would be nice if there was a mechanical way to set what someone could draw.  Could have general rules, like CITY POWER DRAW RANK 1 10, which would allow citizens of rank 1 to draw 10 power per weave, could add in CITY DRAW <percent> INPUT, which would allow them to draw a percentage of their input. May be difficult, would need to have multiple levels of allowing drain, like rank 1 + input.  Would also need things for protector/security/champion, maybe just make these special individual rules you can apply though, and just have it by person, which would override the rank one?

CHANCELLOR:

I feel the chancellor should be more involved in promoting local business, so perhaps a city ADS command, which they could regulate?  Give them the ability to sell ads to people/shops, take them down, etc.

A command CITY TRADESKILLS which will list each person who is currently online and their current trade skill(s).  Could have a CONFIG option to opt out of this.

CULTURE:

I think culture should have access to their gold in the bank, one to put funds in the arena, but secondly to fund events.

Stage command to bring up all pieces that haven't been submitted, if only to make them easier to find. (BACKSTAGE LIST UNSUBMITTED)

LIBRARY:

Library command to bring up all literature published by the city that hasn't been submitted. LIBRARY UNSUBMITTED LITERARY/SCHOLARLY.

A way to check the weight of a piece before it is submitted (could be for everyone, if there isn't already?)

Comments

• ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    whoa, whoa. Gaudiguch isn't supposed to like Big Brother all up in their business.
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • Shaddus said:
    whoa, whoa. Gaudiguch isn't supposed to like Big Brother all up in their business.

Oh, maybe we should be able to look inside of items inside people's inventories as well!  And at STATs... hmm, what else?

Heh, none of this is that big brother-y, novice one would be great so that ambassadors could get more involved in the novice-side of their job.  The tradeskills could be opted out of, but would be more a way to advertise your trade to the city than anything.

• XenthosXenthos Shadow Lord
    I believe that an envoy report re: deeding was just accepted, actually.
  • ElanorwenElanorwen The White Falconess
    Power could definitely use more well... power to their aides.

Checking linked manse perms being the major one... power aides have the ability to link a manse, but not the ability to check and make sure perms are set properly so as not to allow enemies entry?

Building constructs could definitely be something as well, should the minister be unavailable for periods of time, just relegate it to power aides to do.

Forgiveness is the fragrance that the violet sheds on the heel that has crushed it.
  • Xenthos said:
    I believe that an envoy report re: deeding was just accepted, actually.

Oh, excelllllent
  • Elanorwen said:
    Power could definitely use more well... power to their aides.

Checking linked manse perms being the major one... power aides have the ability to link a manse, but not the ability to check and make sure perms are set properly so as not to allow enemies entry?

Building constructs could definitely be something as well, should the minister be unavailable for periods of time, just relegate it to power aides to do.
    I'd be fine with the building side, but not destroying... unless of course we give everyone the ability to look at their own power contributions, and then have way fewer power aides.
  • ElanorwenElanorwen The White Falconess
    Never said anything about destroying, so it was kind of implied, but yeah, I do agree with that bit.

Forgiveness is the fragrance that the violet sheds on the heel that has crushed it.
  • Et al:

I agree with respect to the Ministries of Cultural Affairs and Trade.  The Ministry of Cultural Affairs of each city or commune would no doubt make immediate use of this permission, but I am not certain how often the numerous Trade Ministries would take advantage of this new interface. 

On a related note, Ed Castronova recently proffered up an index of hyperlinks (http://terranova.blogs.com/terra_nova/2012/11/resources-for-designing-virtual-economies.html), but specifically I must call attention to the first article.  Vili Lehdonvirta's excellent article (http://virtual-economy.org/2012/04/15/designing-virtual-currency-by-breaking-almost-every-rule-in-the-economics-textbook/) points that to improve game-play and immersion we should consider adding vulnerability/opportunity.   Might those commodities be intercepted somehow through player actions (some Npc merchant delivers them over-road?)? Could every X total units (say 5,000 or 10,000 or 100,000) of commodities require a seperate caravan?

These are important questions, and answering in the negative to both has the same impact as answering in the affirmative to either.  If such proposed trades are ``safe'' and ``secure'', are we adding this to prevent players from being jumped, to benefit those Ministers and Aides who don't really want their job in the first place? If such trades are vulnerable, as per caravan example above, would any city or commune dare trust their very wealth to the whims of whomever might be wandering the roads at the weave-change?

As outstanding an idea as this may be, but we must consider the implications.  Right now commodities are vulnerable while I conduct a trade.  This may or may not limit said trades.  If we add a mechanism which conducts trades more securely and more safely, we are implying that our characters should not be walking around with commodities (excepting those of immediate use).  If we add an additional mechanism, albeit one which carries both risk and hazard, we are reinforcing the aforementioned implication (no one should be walking around with commodities).  At present there is basically only one means of trade, which implies 1) trade is possible, 2) trade is welcome, 3) trade is not for the foolish. 

Or perhaps I have misunderstood things.  It agree it would be an awesome sight to see a caravan loaded with bolts of silk fabric and steel ingots.  It would be so wonderful that I would want every nation to conduct such trades... well, every nation but mine.  If we add a secure trade interface as proposed, on the other hand, interstate commerce might indeed increase but this very well might have a huge impact (not necessarily for the worse) on village conquest.  We must ask ourselves ``If this were enacted, how can I completely and so thoroughly take private advantage that everyone would claim I'm working an exploit?'', and ``If another party were gaming the system (irony, this is a computer game), is there any counter measure or remedy?''.

</RANT>
    </RANT>
  • The problem with caravans is that if they were to exist, people wouldn't use them. They'd just use the rifts of various citizens instead and deliver the goods on foot. I can't really see a trade of a size that would render that approach infeasible, since commshops can hold (I think) 40k of each in reserves, meaning 40k would be the absolute maximum anyone would trade for. Odds are trades would rather be in the 10k size, which only requires five people (or two, if they're artied up).
  • Delphas said:
    Et al:

I agree with respect to the Ministries of Cultural Affairs and Trade.  The Ministry of Cultural Affairs of each city or commune would no doubt make immediate use of this permission, but I am not certain how often the numerous Trade Ministries would take advantage of this new interface. 

On a related note, Ed Castronova recently proffered up an index of hyperlinks (http://terranova.blogs.com/terra_nova/2012/11/resources-for-designing-virtual-economies.html), but specifically I must call attention to the first article.  Vili Lehdonvirta's excellent article (http://virtual-economy.org/2012/04/15/designing-virtual-currency-by-breaking-almost-every-rule-in-the-economics-textbook/) points that to improve game-play and immersion we should consider adding vulnerability/opportunity.   Might those commodities be intercepted somehow through player actions (some Npc merchant delivers them over-road?)? Could every X total units (say 5,000 or 10,000 or 100,000) of commodities require a seperate caravan?

These are important questions, and answering in the negative to both has the same impact as answering in the affirmative to either.  If such proposed trades are ``safe'' and ``secure'', are we adding this to prevent players from being jumped, to benefit those Ministers and Aides who don't really want their job in the first place? If such trades are vulnerable, as per caravan example above, would any city or commune dare trust their very wealth to the whims of whomever might be wandering the roads at the weave-change?

As outstanding an idea as this may be, but we must consider the implications.  Right now commodities are vulnerable while I conduct a trade.  This may or may not limit said trades.  If we add a mechanism which conducts trades more securely and more safely, we are implying that our characters should not be walking around with commodities (excepting those of immediate use).  If we add an additional mechanism, albeit one which carries both risk and hazard, we are reinforcing the aforementioned implication (no one should be walking around with commodities).  At present there is basically only one means of trade, which implies 1) trade is possible, 2) trade is welcome, 3) trade is not for the foolish. 

Or perhaps I have misunderstood things.  It agree it would be an awesome sight to see a caravan loaded with bolts of silk fabric and steel ingots.  It would be so wonderful that I would want every nation to conduct such trades... well, every nation but mine.  If we add a secure trade interface as proposed, on the other hand, interstate commerce might indeed increase but this very well might have a huge impact (not necessarily for the worse) on village conquest.  We must ask ourselves ``If this were enacted, how can I completely and so thoroughly take private advantage that everyone would claim I'm working an exploit?'', and ``If another party were gaming the system (irony, this is a computer game), is there any counter measure or remedy?''.

</RANT>
    I wouldn't mind there being caravans, but I wouldn't want them to be able to be destroyed, because then, as Ssaliss stated, nobody would use it.  Seeing a caravan traveling between two cities would be fun though, and nice RP for the trade.
  • Ssaliss said:
    The problem with caravans is that if they were to exist, people wouldn't use them. They'd just use the rifts of various citizens instead and deliver the goods on foot. I can't really see a trade of a size that would render that approach infeasible, since commshops can hold (I think) 40k of each in reserves, meaning 40k would be the absolute maximum anyone would trade for. Odds are trades would rather be in the 10k size, which only requires five people (or two, if they're artied up).
    60k is the maximum per commodity that you can put in reserve.
    If it's broken, break it some more.
  • TurnusTurnus The Big Bad Wolf
    You mention the leader being able to change the owner of a deeded clan/manse, but that's actually a power the steward has.

~--------------**--------------~

The original picture of Turnus is still viewable here, again by Feyrll.
  • XenthosXenthos Shadow Lord
    Turnus said:

You mention the leader being able to change the owner of a deeded clan/manse, but that's actually a power the steward has.

It is. He wanted to extend it to more people. As I already stated in a reply here, I believe there is an envoy report that addresses this (and was accepted, to boot).
  • Xenthos said:
    It is. He wanted to extend it to more people. As I already stated in a reply here, I believe there is an envoy report that addresses this (and was accepted, to boot).

Yes, I did mean for more people to have the ability.  As city leader I can do everything else but this, and now that manses can't be undeeded, I feel it would be good to have the city leader able to do this as well.

I did see the report, and looks like they chose the one that says city leader and council.  Not too sure if having the council able to do it will help much, but I'm all for more people being able to do so, especially in the event of aetherflares with ships being able to change hands quickly and be whistled.

• TurnusTurnus The Big Bad Wolf
    Ahh, I see.

~--------------**--------------~

The original picture of Turnus is still viewable here, again by Feyrll.