Portals

I'll be unfront here - Lusternia has always been difficult for me to understand. There is so much that has to be learned, it's overwhelming. Usually, I play for maybe a month and just give up for a solid year before attempting again. In short, I am not considered a regular player.

Having said that, I think that some things should be made simpler. One of these things is the Portal system. Frankly, it is confusing.

When standing in a city, -portal search- gives a list of manses accessible from there. This is a good thing. However, once you are inside one of these manses, it is impossible to easily find a manse that leads back to your city of origin. Right now, I am standing in a shop/manse run by Kelly, who is a citizen of Celest. I cannot do either of the following: portal exit celest, or portal enter celest. Now, all I can do is exit to the aetherplex and go to various shops. If I wanted to sift through a listing of shops that extends through numerous -more- prompts, I'd be attempting portal exits for one that leads to Celest for a good hour or so.

There -has- to be a simpler way to do this. Is there any way that the listing itself could display city exits that can be taken from the shops? Something, anything. I'm stuck in the Aetherplex, heh.

Comments

• If you have teleport in planar, you can teleport nexus to return.

The next step is check your city's portals, and find one that is easy to remember. From the manse, you can portal exit, which takes you to the aetherplex. Or you can portal exit celest, to go to celest.
  • As far as I understand, finding portals that link to a city/commune isn't meant to be easy. If they were, it could pose a greater security risk to organisations.

Communes/cities will generally require a power or gold cost to connect a manse to their org, and they have strict rules on who can access those manses (as a security measure) connected to the org, which the Power Minister enforces.

To find out which manses you can access from any given organisation, simply walk to their portal room and try PORTAL SEARCH there. You'll then get a list of manses you're allowed to enter, which are connected to both the aetherplex and that city/commune, and will likely never have to walk again! :)
  • Generally speaking, they usually force any connecting manse to have at least a limiting factor in their perms that prevents enemies from entering that manse. I.e. if you tried to enter a manse that was directly connected to Mag. and the owner set it so enemies of mag cannot enter it, than anyone who wasn't enemied to mag can enter freely. enemies on the other hand, it would be a no go.
  • edited January 2013
    Faragan's Tower aethershop is connected to both the aetherplex and the Portals of Celest. If you want to find others, teleport back to Celest, go to the portals, and use "portal search shops". This will give you a list of the aethershops and they all lead from the Aetherplex to Celest. Just make sure to use "portal exit celest" and "portal exit aetherplex" to guarantee that you come out on the right side.

I am not sure how much coding your idea will take but it can be easily fixed by making sure each guild introduces their novices to the aethermanse/shop system.

EDIT: I would be more than willing to answer any other questions you have in game! Go go Celestines!
    Will you still love me when I am no longer young and fergalicious?
  • In theory, making it so that you can add an [AETHERPLEX|<organization>] modifier onto the end of any PORTAL SEARCH command to display the search results as if you were standing in the specified portal chamber shouldn't be too hard, since it's already conditioning the results based on room and all you'd have to do it make it check the one you ask for instead of the one you're in. And making it so that doing PORTAL SEARCH inside a manse outputs a list of places you can PORTAL EXIT to shouldn't be too hard either, since the information is already there.
  • you should be able to exit to your city from the aetherplex, something like "portal exit Celest"

Think of the aetherplex as a sort of doorway to these different shops and manses.  Each one road leads only to one place, and the they are not linked to each other, only to the main entrance.  So after you are done from whatever you are doing in a shop or manse, use "portal exit" and that should take you back to the aetherplex.  From there, portal exit celest should bring you back to the aetherportal location in celest.  there may be another aetherdomain in between the aetherplex and celest however.   I'm not sure, but I know Serenwilde has Starhaven as the stepping stone between the aetherplex and Serenwilde itself.  if you can't get out from the aetherplex from the portals, you can go "out" and use your landmarks and "path walk <landmark>" to get to celest.