General Dissatisfaction

Comments

• edited January 2016
    Almost got killed at work today.  Probably gonna be scarce for a little while - going to spend some time with family, was pretty badly shaken.

Long story short, idiot was playing with a heavy duty nailgun (one of the ones that uses explosive charges to drive nails into solid concrete) on the construction site when he not meant to be and had not been properly trained in safe usage of it, he almost shot me in the head - missed by about an inch.  Said person has lost their job, will likely be 'blackballed' from the construction trade (will basically never be offered a job in the construction trade again, for those that are unfamiliar with the term) and may be facing criminal charges.
    Kiss of the Enchantress hisses eerily, "Let them fear, and despair."
  • DaraiusDaraius Shevat The juror's taco spot
    edited January 2016
    My boss asked me to pay a portion of the data usage charge on our workplace family plan, for an overage I was partially responsible for. I asked to see the bill and the breakdown of usage among members. He said he'll be happy to remove me from the plan since I obviously mistrust how he handles the account. Any advice?
    I used to make cakes.

Estarra the Eternal says, "Give Shevat the floor please."
  • SylandraSylandra Join Queue for Mafia Games The Last Mafia Game
    Ouch. :( Are other employees facing a similar situation?
    Daraius said:
    "Oh yeah, you're a naughty mayor, aren't you? Misfile that Form MA631-D. Comptroller Shevat's got a nice gemstone disc for you, but yer gonna have to beg for it."
  • Well, what you're saying certainly isn't filling me with trust for his handling of the account. And using a family share plan as a business cell plan strikes me as being dishonest, if not an outright breach of contract with the service provider. Of course, not having any of the details on the cell plan or the relevant contract, my opinion is not an informed one.
    I'm Lucidian. If I don't get pedantic every so often, I might explode.
  • DaraiusDaraius Shevat The juror's taco spot
    Sylandra said:
    Ouch. :( Are other employees facing a similar situation?
    Yep, one other employee was asked to pay more than me, but I doubt she questioned it at all. The amount isn't really troublesome, I just want to see the numbers myself. This is just another in an endless string of incidents where any degree of questioning or request for clarification from employees is painted as mistrust or troublemaking. Shrugging pretty hard over here.
    I used to make cakes.

Estarra the Eternal says, "Give Shevat the floor please."
  • XenthosXenthos Shadow Lord
    I have a company phone (though I need to get it replaced, the battery has expanded so I do not charge it now). Even when it was functioning correctly I never use it for anything but business. I have a personal plan for my own use. That is what I would personally do, having my boss have full control over my personal phone usage details is not appealing to me. I want to be able to see any / all charges and be able to address them if issues are apparent. Hasn't happened, thankfully, but I prefer the control.
  • Asking your employees to pay for business expenses is shady. Using a family cell plan as a business cell plan is shady. Reacting to criticism or questioning by immediately turning around and attacking the questioner for their 'mistrust' or 'troublemaking' without actually giving the information is communist dictatorship levels of shady.
    I'm Lucidian. If I don't get pedantic every so often, I might explode.
  • SynkarinSynkarin Nothing to see here
    Is this a business phone? Or a personal phone that you went over on? 

I thin that's an important distinction. If it's a business phone you went over on (and you are only using it for business), you shouldn't be paying anything at all.

If it's personal, well that gets more sticky.

Everiine said:
    "'Cause the fighting don't stop till I walk in."
    -Synkarin's Lament.
  • CyndarinCyndarin used Flamethrower! It was super effective.
    edited January 2016
    1) Business is business, and it's highly unprofessional of him to make it personal and about how much you "trust" him. Mind blowingly unprofessional. "You don't trust me?" BITCH NO, the only person I trust with my money is me because I'm the only one paying my bills. Are you paying my rent this month? No? Then let me see the bill, asshole. 

2) If you were using it for personal use and that is the cause of the overage, unfortunately I think it's best you just hand over the money and save yourself the headache. If the issue stems from misuse of business property, it's not worth shooting yourself in the foot over the bill breakdown. UNLESS he has stated you're allowed to use it for personal use. Then he's just a dick.

Either way, you are entitled to ask to see a breakdown of charges. It's why the phone company provided it to him.

(Please don't use my exact verbiage when speaking with him if you intend on keeping your job. I mean, I would because fuck that guy, but generally a poor idea)

• Never use a "business" phone, computer or router for personal use. Ever. Whomever pays for the infrastructure and data plan I believe has the legal right to go back and see the activity.  

edited January 2016
    Today I learned nothing works on a Mac. EVE crashes constantly. Dota crashes constantly. Nothing.

I know it's not a gaming rig, but these are not demanding games. Nothing, apparently, is compatable with OSX.

This is a very expensive Netflix machine.
  • TarkentonTarkenton Traitor Bear

You're welcome.
  • edited January 2016
    @Davos pk'd me while I was getting pizza rolls. This is so rude I can't even woww like who even does that.

It's plainly stated in the Handbook of Polite PKing that pizza rolls mean instant ceasefire, in any form or reference. You're officially a rude pker, congrats. Next time pls wait until I have ample chance to flee. Or I'll revoke your nice guy card. Kthnx.

• XenthosXenthos Shadow Lord
    If you're AFK doing stuff, you should do it in a manse; there's no way for someone on the other side of the internet to know if you are or are not at your keyboard.  The game's rules say you are supposed to be when not in a manse, so it's reasonable enough for them to expect you to be there.
  • Davos said:
    @yarou man, you just need to put up your pizza roll afk message. I can't be held responsible for interfering with the rollage if I am not properly informed of the fact that pizza rolls are in play.
     why is pizza roll afk not a thing, admins. why.

Because afk aetherbashing to glory while pizza rolling.
    Daraius said:
    "Oh yeah, you're a naughty mayor, aren't you? Misfile that Form MA631-D. Comptroller Shevat's got a nice gemstone disc for you, but yer gonna have to beg for it."
  • Xenthos said:
    If you're AFK doing stuff, you should do it in a manse; there's no way for someone on the other side of the internet to know if you are or are not at your keyboard.  The game's rules say you are supposed to be when not in a manse, so it's reasonable enough for them to expect you to be there.
      chill your tots, man. actually, nevermind, don't chill your tots -- tater tots aren't tasty when they're soggy.

More bitching about my mac adventures.

I've been attempting to play virtually anything at this point, if of no other reason than seeing just how much stuff sucks on a Mac.

Dota 2: Lags out and crashes
    Elder Scrolls Online: Launcher client does not work, takes over 12 hours to download. Game crashes after 3 or 4 minutes of playing. Requested refund.
    Guild Wars 2: Can't remember my old password to download, but they require you to remember a character name to retrieve your password. If you can't, you have to email customer support and wait a few days. Don't bother.
    Eve Online: Client crashes after a few minutes of playing.

• RancouraRancoura the Last Nightwreathed Queen Canada
    StarCraftII and Lord of the Rings Online work fine on Mac.  ;;)

Tonight amidst the mountaintops
    And endless starless night
    Singing how the wind was lost
    Before an earthly flight

• Winter blues sucks in conjunction with the fact that the office has been incredibly slow, if not borderline dead lately. I can't do analysis if there's nothing cyber-related going on with us currently. I hate being reactionary security, it's better to be proactive but alas, that is a ton of red tape that no one wants to go through.
  • It's like RL people do not even care that there's so much stuff going on in Lusternia lately. So, so rude.
    #NoWireHangersEver

Vive l'apostrophe!
    I am never going to go to bed at a responsible hour despite teaching at 8am, am I.

[/continues winging last minute lesson plan]
    Daraius said:
  • edited February 2016
    Barely two weeks have passed, already debating re-retiring  :-<

Meh.
  • LuceLuce Fox Populi
    When my groups meet at restaurants, we always do the name of the chain and the cross-street+neighborhood. ie: "Meeting at the Los Tres in Cary Town Center." or "Can anyone pick me up from the Chic-Fil-A in Brier Creek Commons?"
    I made the cardinal sin of agreeing to something as a person was walking to their car. Occurred to me five minutes later that I could be heading the wrong way, and lo, I was.
    Daraius said:
  • AeldraAeldra , using cake powered flight
    Some days are just like days that I would want to put up a sign at work saying 'if I like you come speak to me, if I don't like you, please stay far away from me'. Today is one of these days. Or just give me a couch, a blanket and a cup of tea :-(
    Avatar / Picture done by the lovely Gurashi.
  • Aeldra said:
    Some days are just like days that I would want to put up a sign at work saying 'if I like you come speak to me, if I don't like you, please stay far away from me'. Today is one of these days. Or just give me a couch, a blanket and a cup of tea :-(
    There's a coffee mug for that!

http://www.amazon.com/HAVE-NICE-Funny-Coffee-Mugs/dp/B00CDH29M0

• LuceLuce Fox Populi
    So, work has been winding down, to the point my special project that normally requires I stay 2 hours late every evening would have me run out of work about halfway through if I keep my normal pacing up. I point out that we're starting to slow down to my boss to start building a case for taking tomorrow off/reducing tomorrow's hours and dropping back down to 40 a week from 45. He seems a little hesitant to do it mid-week but sees my point. This is at 3 PM, when I have 60 faxes needing attention. I get that down to about 40 by 5 (lollygagging a little to spread out the work, and because I had another project to work on) when more faxes start coming in. 

Not in a trickle, or a flow. No. By 6 PM, there are 80 faxes to do and an hour and a half till normal close of business, just to spite me. I knock it down to about 40 or so left by 7:30, and spend the next hour in a state of high tension trying to get them gone as fast as I can. I do it, but by the end of it I feel like I'm about to burst a vein.