Mafia Signup Thread!

Comments

• SylandraSylandra Join Queue for Mafia Games The Last Mafia Game
    edited January 2016
    Yeah I can set it up tonight. Is that all right with @Tremula and @Shaddus? Edit: just saw Shaddus's post. It ok if I do it tonight, Trem?
    Daraius said:
    "Oh yeah, you're a naughty mayor, aren't you? Misfile that Form MA631-D. Comptroller Shevat's got a nice gemstone disc for you, but yer gonna have to beg for it."
  • SilvanusSilvanus The Sparrowhawk
    You should add me to the waiting to host list Shaddus.

I have a Manhattan Project mafia setup. I'm slightly stoked to host it.
    2014/04/19 01:38:01 - Leolamins drained 2000000 power to raise Silvanus as a Vernal Ascendant.
    2014/07/23 05:01:29 - Silvanus drained 2000000 power to raise Munsia as a Vernal Ascendant.
    2015/05/24 06:03:07 - Silvanus drained 2000000 power to raise Arimisia as a Vernal Ascendant.
    2015/05/24 06:03:58 - Silvanus drained 2000000 power to raise Lavinya as a Vernal Ascendant.
    Yesss @Shaddus, update the hosting part with the new hosts like Silvanus and Hoaracle!

Also I think I'll open sign-ups tomorrow if Tremula doesn't get back to us. Sound good to everyone?
    Daraius said:
    "Oh yeah, you're a naughty mayor, aren't you? Misfile that Form MA631-D. Comptroller Shevat's got a nice gemstone disc for you, but yer gonna have to beg for it."
    Sign-ups open!
    Daraius said:
    Third post in a row, but oh man, a Danganronpa Mafia game would actually be pretty intense. A proper horror mafia, either that or maybe based on Persona 4, or Zero: 999/Virtue's Last Reward (but I'm not sure I could justify encouraging people to spoil the latter, that game is the worst thing to spoil ever because experiencing it is so perfect).
    Daraius said:
  • Kaalak said:
    Suggestion:   Secret Hitler (a mafia spinoff)

I recently found out about this game. Would be awesome to see it being played here.
  • LavinyaLavinya Queen of Snark Australia
    Ok I haven't decided on a theme yet, but I'd like to run a mafia game at some point, I have some ideas I want to test out on unwitting subjects, muahaha. Ahem. Add me to the list!

• So at some point I got it in my head that a mafia game based off Steven Erikson's The Malazan Book of the Fallen would be a good idea, only that is an utterly insane idea. If you've read the series, you probably have a bit of an inkling about how utterly mad this idea is. And yet, here I am, wanting to do it anyway.

There are a few caveats to this, however:

1) The game would, by its nature, be very spoiler heavy, and I find it unlikely that there are enough people who have both read it and are interested in a mafia game and are on these forums. I would try to avoid too much in terms of spoiling events from the series (though this would very likely fall very short of perfect), but even describing character powers and relationships (and even the existence of some characters!) is a huge amount of spoiler-level information. I'd be willing to allow people who haven't read to play, though it'd be very explicitly noted that it contains major spoilers to the single greatest literary work ever written (not hyperbole, it is seriously that good), and anyone who has read it would very likely have some advantage (though hopefully small enough).
    2) This would be a very, very power-heavy game, with plenty of non-standard powers. We're running the gamut here from munition-tossing sappers to Elder Gods. So many powers.
    3) Many players in game. Would probably want at least 20. Probably more. Balanced on how many roles I can reasonably put together and how many people are actually willing to play.
    4) I've never run a forum/asynchronous mafia game before. I've done small, real-time, in-person mafia games, but with significantly different mechanics than anything forum-based. So, you know, there's a good chance it just completely blows. But hopefully it doesn't.
    5) Nothing I write for any of the flavour text would ever even begin to approach the quality of Erikson's prose.

I am busy, and this is a rather ambitious project, so it'd take quite a while to get it ready (not to mention the people ahead of me in line), but if enough people are interested (and have either read the series or are willing to brave the spoilers) then I'll start putting things together as I am able.
    7c95dbc25a4a9ae292cccb899a49a79b18529207e135ebccd89c0877d386ebea
    ALL HAIL THE MIGHTY GLOW CLOUD.
  • TremulaTremula Banished Quasiroyal
    @Shaddus, you can go ahead and run yours if you're ready. Mine's being a butt because I'm overcomplicating things trying to make it fun and SOMEWHAT balanced.
                          * * * WRACK AND ROLL AND DEATH AND PAIN * * *
                                         * * * LET'S FEEL THE FEAR OF DEATH AGAIN * * *
              * * * WE'LL KILL AND SLAUGHTER, EAT THE SLAIN * * *
      * * * IN RAVAGING WE'LL ENTERTAIN * * *

Ixion tells you, "// I don't think anyone else had a clue, amazing form."
    edited February 2016
    So pseudo-lineup looks like...

1) @Tremula - set-up in-progress [skip]
    6) @Lavinya
    7) @Ieptix
    8) Me (because that was so much fun I want to do it again)

...?
    Daraius said:
  • CyndarinCyndarin used Flamethrower! It was super effective.
    BUT I WANT POKEMON.
  • ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    Sorry, I haven't had a lot of time to work on mine. Let @Silvanus do his.
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • CyndarinCyndarin used Flamethrower! It was super effective.
    WOO Manhattan project!

Mafia about...blowing up Japan?
  • SilvanusSilvanus The Sparrowhawk
    I'll set up a signup thread tonight probably around 0 GMT. It'll be 12 players.
    2014/04/19 01:38:01 - Leolamins drained 2000000 power to raise Silvanus as a Vernal Ascendant.
    2014/07/23 05:01:29 - Silvanus drained 2000000 power to raise Munsia as a Vernal Ascendant.
    2015/05/24 06:03:07 - Silvanus drained 2000000 power to raise Arimisia as a Vernal Ascendant.
    2015/05/24 06:03:58 - Silvanus drained 2000000 power to raise Lavinya as a Vernal Ascendant.
    Sorry, @Celina, it's going to be a power heavy game with Pokemon instead of traditional powers.

• UshaaraUshaara Schrödinger's Traitor
    I've a week's holiday coming up with no internet, so if I can map out some roles and story blurbs during that week, can add me to the hosting list.

It'll probably be something something set in space...
    DIBS ON BEING IN SILVANUS'S GAME.
    Daraius said:
  • PortiusPortius Likes big books, cannot lie
    So, people seem to like games with lots of powers and triggered events. Who knew? In light of that, I am willing to run my Athenian mafia setup at some point. Just put me on the list and yell when it gets down to me.
    Any sufficiently advanced pun is indistinguishable from comedy.
  • DaraiusDaraius Shevat The juror's taco spot
    I really really want to read @Kiradawea's Steven Universe mafia. ;;)
    I used to make cakes.

Estarra the Eternal says, "Give Shevat the floor please."
    Can she and Sylandra team up to write it? Because holy cripes, the eyegasm.

• DaraiusDaraius Shevat The juror's taco spot
    +1 for Sylandra's involvement in anything.
    I used to make cakes.

Estarra the Eternal says, "Give Shevat the floor please."
    (FYI just finished up a 16-person Downton Abbey setup, which I'm happy to use whenever.)
    Daraius said:
  • I absolutely love Downton Abbey! I usually watch it with my parents when I am home but sadly they do not have the fifth season on Amazon yet...so I am slightly behind concerning the plot. When you host it, I would really like to take part. There's nothing like British nobility and intrigue... 

...and, of course, Maggie Smith with a lightsaber :D

• LuceLuce Fox Populi
    I...what? I am going to need to watch this show, I think...
  • This was in a special though. One of the actors filmed some Star Wars themed scenes to raise money for a MS charity.
  • LuceLuce Fox Populi
    Now I just have this image of McGonagall with a lightsaber going all, "I've always wanted to do this." before breaking out a can of Yoda on some death-eaters. Or "These are not the students you're looking for, Dolores. You want to go home and resign from the Ministry."
    No worries, @Aerdureth! It's based mainly on season 1, with a splash of season 2. :D
    Daraius said:
  • Omg, you guys, I just came up with the most amazing mafia theme,you guys don't even know. When my turn to run a game comes up y'alls minds are gonna be blown.
  • TarkentonTarkenton Traitor Bear
    Calling it now. Sopranos mafia
  • What no.