Monk'd

2»

Comments

• Tell you what, chaining twists and combos for momentum 5/final twist is not comparable because you can just switch to turtle or run in between twists (which you do). Momentum 5 doesn't kill people, either, by the way. They're perfectly fine when you have it. Or so they say.
  • CyndarinCyndarin used Flamethrower! It was super effective.
    Turtling doesn't get people in to toad range. Keep trying.
  • EnyalidaEnyalida Nasty Woman, Sockpuppeteer to the Gods
    If you're looking for  a good parallel to momentum, the only one I can think of is also in Celest: Inquisition. There isn't anything you can do to stop it (besides running away. If they chase you, that doesn't help much either), and it's almost certain death. 
  • Effective turtling can slow down momentum gain quite considerably. Hell, you can even put up serpent and just get twists as you get back power while being pretty much safe. You don't have to do anything between the twists to get people in toadrange before you have six twists done.
    You're missing the point. It doesn't matter for fast I get to the last twist. I still have to prep for toad at that point. Sixth twist is not my finish line, like 5 momentum is for you, nor is a final twist a guarantee like yours. My kill requires multiple things, only one of which is twist. SD is not race to the finish. It is prep, wait, and position. Tahteso is race to the finish. You can skip twist to the seventh twist and remove the rest and SD combat will not be any more powerful (or only marginally so) because the work involved in the kill comes at the end.
  • I'm not missing any point, you just don't know what you're talking about if you think momentum 5 by itself even only nearly guarantees the kill that happened in your log. You need the wounds, need for prone to proc from starkick and for that, obviously, need to get past stance at the very least in the setup move. And once the setup hits, you can get hindered passively (some classes are obviously better equipped for that than others), they can (try to) cure it with allheale, passively or with a powercure. I still agree that that particular setup should not be possible, but it doesn't run nearly as smoothly as you think, most of the time. My comparison between SD twists and momentum does not go beyond their incurability and independence of the target, by the way.
    Well you can overplay the difficult of the requirement until you are blue in the face. Or we can watch deathsight during any fight with Celest and use common sense to establish you're full
    of it.
  • Veyrzhul said:
    I still agree that that particular setup should not be possible, but it doesn't run nearly as smoothly as you think, most of the time.
    I think this sums it up. I feel my post near the start of this thread summarised and addressed most of the points raised by both Xena and myself when I was discussing this with her. This is not an insta-win tactic that Celina's starting post claimed. It is still unbalanced in its current incarnation, with problems that lend it to being unfair in terms of inter-class balance.

This needs changing. Change it.

• Thank you Lerad for the in-game message about this thread.

I will be contacting the other monk envoys and speaking to guild members about the situation. 
  • Report #1068
    Skillset: Kata                 Skill: Boost
       Guild: Tahtetso            Status: Finalised

Problem: The Gahtirak'Sho strike in Tahtetso is the Tahtetso insta-kill. Using double boost after a specific form it is possible to perform the strike with no prior setup, and as the setup itself has no cost, be repeated until successful. This report attempts to resolve this two form insta combination by making the costs prohibit using double boost to achieve this and to address the inherent issue with doubleboost.

Solution #1: Remove the DOUBLEBOOST aspect of BOOST. Doubleboost has turned out to be a costly skill of limited situational use and as such does not seem to be a regular tool used by most monks (none I have spoken to seem to feel they would miss it). In addition, it is a skill which is problematic to balance around and lends itself to unexpected emergent behavior.
    Solution #2: Provide a solution here.
    Solution #3: Provide a solution here.
    It's a good start!
  • Start?

That fixes the problem completely!

We shall see!

• I want to see the log.
  • Was in the first post:

http://pastehtml.com/view/coso7hyg6.html

Shiney color log!
  • edited March 2013
    The link is dead. That's the reason behind my first comment.
  • I can't see it either.
  • I moved the log to our very own Logsty.  What is Logsty?  Nogfx without all the lag, from our very own (currently leafy) Ircria!

http://www.logsty.com/logs/Ns4J2