Novices

Soooo been helping novices alot recently, talked to some.  I would suggest teachers take a more active interest in checking up on them later on to ask some questions. Here is what this one gave me for suggestions:

From Novice:
+ Collegium should have a different default color or as it was put "They need to make the default colors for cgt and gnt different from the default action colors".  I am inclined to agree, especially for teachers/professors/students.

+ "Some of the quests they give you as a newbie have very little direction. Like when I had to find the Drums of the Dead. I had to ask around a few times to get somebody to give me a command that could get me some directions to the spot."   The drums of the dead do NOT have a landmark, which I will bug.

+ "And maybe that's just to add a challenge of exploration, but I think for newbie quests, the least the NPC's could do is give you a general location. Like "East of the Master Ravenwood Tree.""

From me:
-  Is there a notice at some point, IDEALLY, when you get the geography quest about the LANDMARKS and PATH systems?  

Thats all that strikes me at the moment, feel free to add your own ideas here as well of course. We have been on a novice kick recently!

Comments

• EritheylEritheyl ** Trigger Warning **
    edited March 2013
    I don't believe the pathing system is mentioned specifically in the confines of the Geography courses. However, that's something that can easily be accomplished in the course's CGHELP. Gaudiguch's Geography scroll only lists the room names and vnums, along with a short explanation of the pathing system. Celest's, on the other hand, has general directions (from what I remember). A mix of the two would do great, but that's something that needs to be handled by GAs and collegium professors as opposed to the system. I think the way it works out now is fine, there just needs to be better guidance.
    Crumkane, Lord of Epicurean Delights says, "WAS IT INDEED ON FIRE, ERITHEYL."

-

With a deep reverb, Contemptible Sutekh says, "CEASE YOUR INFERNAL ENERGY, ERITHEYL."
  • Also a helpful hint like "Please read HELP PK" and "HELP AVECHNA" would be a good idea. I only learned that only on prime are you safe after I got killed on the ethereal a couple of times.

and a general introduction to politics (i.e don't stray into enemy territory and leave if asked) along with an introduction to the Allies/enemies system.

is dead like the dodo