Lusternian Book Club - Dead Week Stinks.

edited March 2016 in The Real World
Are you bored or want more things to do, if you don't have enough to do already? Do you like reading, do you have interests in reading with other people similar stuff and things? Do you like fangirl/fanboying over books like I do? Any kind of books? Me too! This thread is branching off from the 'What are you reading?' thread, and making it (hopefully) into an actual group!

I've been thinking about this idea for ages now, why isn't there a Lusternian Book Club? There's LoL thread, there's a bunch of Mafia games, but no book thread! Let me know if you're interested in having a little group thread about it. Maybe a reading a book every one or two months and having neat discussions about them would be interesting. Maybe turning Mafia into something based on the books we read? Just some little thoughts that I've been thinking about lurking around on the forums.

Coming up with a reading list is relatively easy if we have a lot of recommendations! It just depends on what genre we would like to read from! If you're interested or want to contribute, this would probably be a good place to do so. :) What do you like to read, do you have genres that are unusually hipster? Is it about zombie dogs going on the moon and finding out that its made of cheese? Tell me! Get involved, and get to know other people in the community in Lusternia.

Interested people so far:
Tremula
Kalaak
Ayisdra
Talan

Comments

• TremulaTremula Banished Quasiroyal
    Right now I'm knee deep in a Lovecraft grimoire, but I'd love to have some people to discuss a new series that a friend bought me, written by Mercedes Lackey. Lusternia would be the best place for that, now that I think about it. :D
                          * * * WRACK AND ROLL AND DEATH AND PAIN * * *
                                         * * * LET'S FEEL THE FEAR OF DEATH AGAIN * * *
              * * * WE'LL KILL AND SLAUGHTER, EAT THE SLAIN * * *
      * * * IN RAVAGING WE'LL ENTERTAIN * * *

Ixion tells you, "// I don't think anyone else had a clue, amazing form."
    I'm not sure the name of the trilogy or the particular order, since it was just given to me, but it's Magic's Price, Promise, and Pawn. I hear she's a really good author, so I'm looking forward to getting into it.

• Re: Lovecraft

These two guys go over EVERY story HPL ever wrote. Look for the earlier episodes. Also there are some free audiobooks of the Call of Cthulhu, From Beyond, The Haunter of the Dark, etc. 

Right now they are going over (have finished?) every story mentioned by Lovecraft in Supernatural Horror in Literature. 

• For weeks now, I have been trying to reread the Magicians for the Syfy tvshow adaption and failing at that.

There is about 50 other books on my TBR pile that have been for months(some years) :(
    Note that I've never read any Lovecraft before now, but I'll go so hard on that link after I finish.

• Hmm. Looks like...Barnes and Nobel edition? 

So I'll be up front with Lovecraft. He's not for everyone and also I really do think you have to read him at a certain time in your life to ...really become a fan. 

Lovecraft persists in popularity because of his originality. In 2016 for example you may not feel he is as fresh as people say because in plenty of mass media he has been copied in several different ways.  Totally valid. 

Before putting him down I would recommend reading at least: The Call of Cthulhu, The Colour out of Space, the Shunned House, the Haunter of the Dark. 

Now the Shunned House is not one of my favorites but there has been some interesting literary discussion on it that well it might become a classic (like the Colour out of Space is). 

Btw the Shunned House narrated by the Darkest Dungeon guy. 

If you want a story (well done story) with a gay protagonist about Cosmic Horror (rather than everyone trying to mimic MR James and HPL's lonely isolated protagonists) I recommend "mysterium tremendum" by Larid Barron in Occultation. 

What does the title mean? 

Otto was one of the most influential thinkers about religion in the first half of the twentieth century. He is best known for his analysis of the experience that, in his view, underlies all religion. He calls this experience "numinous," and says it has three components. These are often designated with a Latin phrase: mysterium tremendum et fascinans. As mysterium, the numinous is "wholly other"-- entirely different from anything we experience in ordinary life. It evokes a reaction of silence. But the numinous is also a mysterium tremendum. It provokes terror because it presents itself as overwhelming power. Finally, the numinous presents itself asfascinans, as merciful and gracious

Barron can be incredibly literary and amazing but he's not always. Wisely did ST Joshi say that the hopes and dreams of weird fiction rest on his shoulders however. 

• PortiusPortius Likes big books, cannot lie
    RE: Lovecraft suggestions

The Rats in the Walls is one of the very few stories that provoked a strong emotional response from me. It might be a function of it being the first Lovecraft that I read or it being when I was like 14, but I endorse it.
    Any sufficiently advanced pun is indistinguishable from comedy.
  • I'm down. What are we reading first?
    #NoWireHangersEver

Vive l'apostrophe!
  • Count me in!

• edited February 2016
    Portius said:
    RE: Lovecraft suggestions

The Rats in the Walls is one of the very few stories that provoked a strong emotional response from me. It might be a function of it being the first Lovecraft that I read or it being when I was like 14, but I endorse it.
    Yeah early to mid teens is when I first found Lovecraft too. That is what I'm describing by a "you have a certain window in your life to become a die hard fan."  Some people have had similar experiences with A Canticle for Leibowitz. 

Daniel Abraham (one of The Expanse writers) mentions a similar transformative experience (literally "reprogramming his mind") when he read The Stars My Destination at an early age. 

• ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    Tremula said:
    I'm not sure the name of the trilogy or the particular order, since it was just given to me, but it's Magic's Price, Promise, and Pawn. I hear she's a really good author, so I'm looking forward to getting into it.
    This is absolutely one of the best of her trilogies. Admittedly it does have some slow spots after the first one, but it's really, really good. In fact, my first IRE character's name was Tylendel
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • Talan said:
    I'm down. What are we reading first?
    Proust

Shaddus said:
    Tremula said:
    This is absolutely one of the best of her trilogies. Admittedly it does have some slow spots after the first one, but it's really, really good. In fact, my first IRE character's name was Tylendel
    Did not know it was based on a series! Thank you. 
  • I'm also down for this, because I need more audiobooks to listen to. My podcast list is dwindling down, and I'm going to need stuff to listen to on my commutes to/from work and the girlfriend's apartment.

Currently I'm reading Dune, because I'm a scrub and didn't read it when I was in high school like I should have. I'm about half way through, and it's really good so far!

• TarkentonTarkenton Traitor Bear
    Stop with Dune, imo. I didn't really care for the books past the first.
  • SylandraSylandra Join Queue for Mafia Games The Last Mafia Game
    I'm already in a book club called graduate school. :( But I hope you guys post your reading and responses on the forums for everyone else's benefit!
    Daraius said:
    "Oh yeah, you're a naughty mayor, aren't you? Misfile that Form MA631-D. Comptroller Shevat's got a nice gemstone disc for you, but yer gonna have to beg for it."
  • Ok, so what genre do people want to read in anyways?
  • edited February 2016
    Sylandra said:
    I'm already in a book club called graduate school. :( But I hope you guys post your reading and responses on the forums for everyone else's benefit!

Which positions you perfectly to recommend stuff and resources! Seriously though I have not read Proust or Cormac McCarthy or Victor Hugo more than a handfull of pages and I'm looking for an excuse. But before we jump into the deepend how about we start with a short story so we see who's game. If we want to go scifi or supernatural I suggest Breeds There A Man by Asimov or The Whimper of Whipped Dogs, respectively.
  • I'd be in as well since I am commuting a lot and tend to take my Kindle with me almost all the time. 
    Basically, I am open for all genres though my favourite would probably be Urban Fantasy. And books...everything to do with libraries, action and a pinch of Steampunk. Like Genevieve Cogman's 'The Invisible Library'-series or 'The Ministry of Peculiar Occurrences' by Philippa Ballantine and Tee Morris.
  • edited February 2016
    Sylandra said:

I am in the same, terrible boat. But please, do post your reading and responses here! 
  • -waves hands in the air- Me me mememememme.
    Wildeflower Aramel Strongleaf says to Xiran, "My cousin's attitude to life is rather like her attitude towards cake - to have everything, and at once, and lots of it."
  • UshaaraUshaara Schrödinger's Traitor
    I'll say I'm interested, though whether I can keep up is another thing!

As for what I'm reading now, am years behind the curve and only just getting around to reading American Gods.
  • For the lit grad students: recommend some entry and leading examples of post-modern literature please. Also any material you read that made the most impact on how you analyze novels, structure, plot, or characters.
    It's almost like you want us to recommend boring things to you. Book clubs are about having fun!

I'm a terrible person to ask because the stuff I think would be most amazing to read in a group setting is hilarious stuff, like, Flowers in the Attic. There are some cackles to be had with that book series.
    Daraius said:
    "Oh yeah, you're a naughty mayor, aren't you? Misfile that Form MA631-D. Comptroller Shevat's got a nice gemstone disc for you, but yer gonna have to beg for it."
  • UshaaraUshaara Schrödinger's Traitor
    Pretty sure Flowers in the Attic is on a banned book list somewhere. :D Though there's an idea, reading banned books and talking about why they were banned and what banning reflects of the culture.
  • No. No VC Andrews. Red card Sylandra. One more like that and We throw you in the Colosseum to the lions. Also there are not one but two movies about that book, one in 2014. *shrug*
  • LavinyaLavinya Queen of Snark Australia
    Oh man, reading that book/series for the first time as a young teen, man were my eyes opened in whole new ways, ha. I want to go back and read them again now :D

• Also challenging oneself, in particular with a group striving together, is never boring. Also analysis is never boring.
    It's such a funny book. Omg. Cathy is the worst and somehow everyone wants to bone her. Petals on the Wind is even better. We could all watch the Lifetime movies together in solidarity for Heather Graham's delightful scenery chewing.

Also had great success reading Tess of d'Urbervilles with friends, aka The Original Series of Unfortunate Events, aka The Plot Screws Everyone Over.
    Daraius said:
  • edited February 2016
    Alright, sorry about that! College work is never done, and I just got back from an exhausting practise session. So, we have:

@Tremula, @Kalaak, @Ayisdra, @Talan, @Havastus, @Ymuli @Shonjir and @Aerdureth so far for interest. Awesome guys, so happy you want to do this with me. I feel from what I'm seeing everyone wants to do a steam-punk, fantasy/science fiction historic Victorian vibe? That's a pretty wide genre and there's a lot to read! Here are my suggestions for the first book we want to tackle, I've put them in order sort of, so PICK 3 of these and MESSAGE ME. Which ever gets the most votes, we'll start with, sound fair?

Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman
    Complete Collection of H.P Lovecraft (We'd pick some short stories ala Portius)
    The Portrait of Dorian Grey by Oscar Wilde
    The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde by Robert Louis Stevenson
    Rashomon and Other Classics
    A Bridge of Birds by Barry Hughart
    The Hammer of Witches: A Complete Translation of the Malleus Maleficarum by Charles S. Mackay
    The Crucible by Arthur Miller
    Pride & Predjudice and Zombies / Dreadfully Ever After by Jane Austen, Seth Grahame-Smith, Steve Hockensmith
    Something from the Nightside (The Nightside Series) by Simon R. Green
    The Anubis Gates by Tim Powers
    Declare by Tim Powers
    The Medusa Web by Tim Powers
    Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norell by Susanna Clarke
    The Ladies of Grace Adieu by Susanna Clarke
    Dragonsong (Pern: Harper Hall series) by Anne McCafferey
    File Under: 13 Suspicious Incidents (Reports 1-6) by Lemony Snicket

Let's see if we can find a cool book schedule that we can set up, we could try a chapter every week, a chapter every week and a half? What's good for you? Do you like slow or fast analysis of the materials.