Lusternian Book Club - Dead Week Stinks.

Comments

• Some real good choices there.  

There is no spoiler font on this forums is there?

Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norell is pretty long. I've read it but it's a commitment. 

Also a BBC TV show :D

• Oh, I love that list! Sounds like what I would put on my bookshelf. I even already own some of them though I have not read them yet. It comes from my habit never to leave a bookstore with empty hands...one should not let me near one while I have money with me.
  • @Tremula @Ymuli @Shonjir @Kalaak - I still need your messages. Then we can start!
  • edited February 2016
    Strange. I sent mine the day you posted. I'll try again. Edit: sent. Please advise if not received.
  • @Ymuli @Shonjir - You're the last I'm waiting on. So far it's a tie between 'A Bridge of Birds' - Which is ultimately more fantasy than steampunk, or 'The Portrait of Dorian Grey.'

• SylandraSylandra Join Queue for Mafia Games The Last Mafia Game
    (Dorian Grey is awesome.)
    Daraius said:
    "Oh yeah, you're a naughty mayor, aren't you? Misfile that Form MA631-D. Comptroller Shevat's got a nice gemstone disc for you, but yer gonna have to beg for it."
  • Sylandra said:
    (Dorian Grey is awesome.)
    The movie is nothing like the book, and sometimes I wish it was. But we'll see! Movie / book comparisons are always off, even if a little bit rich to reflect Oscar Wilde's hedonistic lifestyle.

Oh I didn't even know there was a movie! I just like the book. Oscar Wilde is da bomb diggity.
    Daraius said:
    "Oh yeah, you're a naughty mayor, aren't you? Misfile that Form MA631-D. Comptroller Shevat's got a nice gemstone disc for you, but yer gonna have to beg for it."
  • TarkentonTarkenton Traitor Bear
    Did not care for book.
  • EnyalidaEnyalida Nasty Woman, Sockpuppeteer to the Gods
  • Tarkenton said:
    Did not care for book.
    It's an acquired taste. I found it dry when I was reading it the first several times.

• Read it. Enjoyed it for what it was. In general I yawn and eye roll over authors that use the "THESE NON CATHOLIC/CHRISTIAN ACTS ARE A STAIN ON YOUR SOOOOOOOOOUL" but the times were the times and that is my ideological bias. 

Still a good weird tale.  
  • Sylandra said:
    Oh I didn't even know there was a movie! I just like the book. Oscar Wilde is da bomb diggity.
    I prefer his short stories. But I think I prefer short stories in general over the past two years. *shrug*
  • SynkarinSynkarin Nothing to see here
    Is it too late to join this? I'd be interested in reading something, expanding my horizons etc. I have no preference on what's being decided on now, just hoping to join!

Everiine said:
    "'Cause the fighting don't stop till I walk in."
    -Synkarin's Lament.
  • Synkarin said:
    Is it too late to join this? I'd be interested in reading something, expanding my horizons etc. I have no preference on what's being decided on now, just hoping to join!
    @Synkarin - Message me your three picks! Also, awesome, you're joining us. :D
  • edited February 2016
    @Tremula

Like it or hate it I'm interested in your take on Lovecraft. You are reading Lovecraft in the year of Our Lord 2016 and as older than an impressionable teenager. Very curious whenever you get the time/interest to write up something. 
  • Happy to just join in, so I don'tmind what we read :)

• @Synkarin Boat is leaving! Jump from the docks! 
  • Hi! Sorry, the tagging hasn't been giving me notifications and apparently my messages aren't working? I'm fine to read whatever. No real preference. I have read Dorian Grey before, though.
    Wildeflower Aramel Strongleaf says to Xiran, "My cousin's attitude to life is rather like her attitude towards cake - to have everything, and at once, and lots of it."
  • edited February 2016

Listen up readers!

Okay! So, I just re-checked Amazon, which is where Kindle things are and it looks like they took out their Bridge of Birds kindle edition from that link. So! In supplement, we are going to be reading first The Chronicles of Master Li and Number Ten Ox - Which is TECHNICALLY A BRIDGE OF BIRDS, but it's part of a TRILOGY (cool right?) and is called the Chronicles. Which is written by the same author, and involves the SAME characters! I will give you guys until next Monday to get this book lined up. And we'll be reading Chapter 1 of a Bridge of Birds. Hopefully everyone will have this chapter finished by this next Friday. I'll have questions and things to get our discussion started! Good luck!

• I might take a little longer to finish with the reading because the Kindle version does not seem to be available in my country and the paperback is currently out of stock. I'll do my best to catch up with you guys once I got my hands on the book.
  • SynkarinSynkarin Nothing to see here
    Wait, so we're reading Chapter 1 of this Chronicles right?

Everiine said:
    "'Cause the fighting don't stop till I walk in."
    -Synkarin's Lament.
  • CyndarinCyndarin used Flamethrower! It was super effective.
    I'd join but I'm currently in a phase of my life where I read only dystopia and zombie books. Let me know if you want to talk about the end of the world. 
    I felt that way until grad school demanded reading like a novel a week. Now I'm one of those people who has to cram in time to finish the damn thing, but isn't really enjoying it so much as desperately racing to the finish line.  =((
    Daraius said:
  • Xenthos said:
    Synkarin said:

How anyone can read a book a chapter at a time is beyond me. I was that kid in school who, when the class was assigned a book and given a chapter or two to read, came in the next day having finished the whole thing
    Uh, there are a lot of examples of serial things where you consume a whole story in measured pieces. I am sure you could handle reading a book one chapter a week if you wanted to. The point of this was not to ask for a book rec to binge-read on your own, it's a book club. :D

#NoWireHangersEver

Vive l'apostrophe!
  • CyndarinCyndarin used Flamethrower! It was super effective.
    Xenthos said:
    Synkarin said:

How anyone can read a book a chapter at a time is beyond me. I was that kid in school who, when the class was assigned a book and given a chapter or two to read, came in the next day having finished the whole thing (read: That kid who frustrates the teacher trying to teach the material; the question "What do you think will happen next?" is really silly when you already know exactly what will happen...)
    I was either that kid that read the whole book in one sitting or I was the kid that thought the book was stupid and never read a page. Like The Prince, that book was torture. 

I know it'll surprise everyone to know this, but I was what some might call "strong willed" as a child. 
  • edited February 2016
    I would have never thought.

Also I was the same way. I nearly failed so many of my high school English classes because I'd read the first chapter or 3 of a book and then refuse to ever look at it again. I'm looking at you, The Catcher in the Rye.
    7c95dbc25a4a9ae292cccb899a49a79b18529207e135ebccd89c0877d386ebea
    ALL HAIL THE MIGHTY GLOW CLOUD.
  • Oh, oh! I want in! Never enough reading going on at once, never. Obtaining book now, if that's cool? Not that I'll be able to do it a chapter at a time, but this book has been on my list for some time.
    Mysrai, the Beckoner Beyond the Maze intones, "Continue to manifest the paradigm of working, My Alary."
    The Divine voice of Camus the Cinderfly echoes in your head, "Thank you, once-body. I am happy that I fell into that eye."