City Aethers

Comments

• It is a bit interesting who people put things here. Being brief is not being OOC. I'd go as far to say that being wordy and flowery in combat is far more ooc than brief. There's a reason snipers will more likely say, "Sniper at 2 o'clock" than "Over on the hill by the gate is a x wielding a z."

If you're complaint is more being casual on CT in an org where you feel being casual doesn't fit the role play of how you view the org, you could join an org where being casual does. If however, your issue is that other players don't view mag in the same way you do, that's a much harder nut to crack. You will find that in most societies that those in the same social class tend towards casualness with familiars and social equals. The lording and ladying is far more Victorian than from other periods.

As to the admin, perhaps you could add a SquadTells?
  • DaraiusDaraius Shevat The juror's taco spot
    I like that Halli's channels are largely no-nonsense. Most of the nonsense (and the ranting, angst, probably fart jokes) is safely funneled away into the specially designated clans. Sometimes we get a goblin shark ephemeral or some other far too whimsical snowflake but they're usually short-lived on account of our AGGRESSIVELY NO-NONSENSE CULTURE.
    I used to make cakes.

Estarra the Eternal says, "Give Shevat the floor please."
  • CyndarinCyndarin used Flamethrower! It was super effective.
    edited February 2016
    This "it's because they are fighters," is a lot of nope. Mag was the focal point of RP and PK once upon a time, and it accomplished both simultaneously. It's not an either/or scenario. Pro tip: one of the predominant features of a militaristic society is Discipline. If your "PKers" are devolving into OOC banter on a regular basis, then you are just as responsible for not holding them accountable and shrugging it off as "PKers gonna go OOC, oh well." 

I'm most known as a PKer in Lusternia. I've been the OH of 3 orders, avatar, and GM of three guilds. You can do both. If you are making excuses for those who are not doing both, you are part of the problem. 

edit: Gaudi's doesn't get OOC really, it just has a tendency to go silly/stupid. I had to put a lid on penis references and a conversation about scaring trill naked or something stupid the other day. You just have to know where the line is, and if you chose to be in a position of (internet) authority, you must make the decision to hold others accountable. 

I understand Mag has a unique exception to the accountability thing, and a rather absurd alt issue when anyone tries to do anything responsible with those acting like fools. That doesn't mean you make excuses for them, however. 

edit2: Also, stop being afraid of that perpetual shrub. Gaudi made it clear that we had 0 interest in her personal grudge meldwars with allies bullshit during domoths some months ago, and that if she continued to instigate fights, the disagreement was going to come to a rather abrupt and violent end. She seems to have responded to that, and we've gotten in relative silence ever since.
  • Daraius said:
    bubble shark ephemeral
    Fixed for @Yehn
  • LuceLuce Fox Populi
    @steingrim Squads are too ephemeral. There's only one of any given city, clan, guild, etc. channel, so it was probably not that hard for the admin to capture and store the last 20 messages in each. Squads, covens, and I think ships, though, will have a player drop and rejoin, form, dissolve, reform, etc. several times over the course of a given day that I doubt if each has a permanent serverside alias capable of holding the saved messages even if it was requested/desired that SQTELLS be made a thing.
  • what is wrong with having a bubble shark ;-;
    beep
  • PhoebusPhoebus tu fui, ego eris. Circumstances
    Daraius said:
    I like that Halli's channels are largely no-nonsense. Most of the nonsense (and the ranting, angst, probably fart jokes) is safely funneled away into the specially designated clans. Sometimes we get a goblin shark ephemeral or some other far too whimsical snowflake but they're usually short-lived on account of our AGGRESSIVELY NO-NONSENSE CULTURE.
    Or you learn to put on airs (~50% Expert Aeromancy) and change from counter-culture nonsense to socially acceptable nonsense.  ;;) 
  • edited February 2016
    Nymerya said:
    The slow erosion of roleplay in Mag is one of the reasons I have stopped playing. There's a particular group of people who say 'I don't have to adhere to decorum, it's only a guideline, and I don't think it applies to anyone who doesn't want it to' and will do whatever they please, including being so borderline OOC on CT that I just can't be bothered to stay logged in. Yes, I have a lot of OOC clans, but that's because that's where the OOC should stay. That's where casual chats should stay. And the constant -bitching- about everyone else blows my mind. The sheer nastiness lately is pretty sickening. The people saying things about others clearly don't even know the people they're bitching about, to say the things they do. I just feel icky whenever I log in these days. I get not liking someone- I've certainly had my grudges in the past, but ffs. This is unrelenting, you guys. pls stahp. 
    Come to Glomdoring, Nymerya. You know you want to. We have spookies.
  • Nymerya said:
    The slow erosion of roleplay in Mag is one of the reasons I have stopped playing. There's a particular group of people who say 'I don't have to adhere to decorum, it's only a guideline, and I don't think it applies to anyone who doesn't want it to' and will do whatever they please, including being so borderline OOC on CT that I just can't be bothered to stay logged in. Yes, I have a lot of OOC clans, but that's because that's where the OOC should stay. That's where casual chats should stay. And the constant -bitching- about everyone else blows my mind. The sheer nastiness lately is pretty sickening. The people saying things about others clearly don't even know the people they're bitching about, to say the things they do. I just feel icky whenever I log in these days. I get not liking someone- I've certainly had my grudges in the past, but ffs. This is unrelenting, you guys. pls stahp. 
      Six agrees, hmm, Lusternia? And countless others on all the 'Mag is shit' posts? But yet no one agreed or liked my posts about trying to do something to actually change what's wrong?

Pathetic. You've all given up hope. People like Nymerya and Celina and others who once held positions of power in Magnagora could've actually done something to change Magnagora for good. I might be wrong, they may have done their best during their time, but regardless, their 'whatever, not my problem' attitudes are sad. Maybe pathetic is a strong word, but .. like I said, I care about Magnagora.

This is the last I'll post in this thread, considering I think I've said my piece and more, but before I go: I will see Magnagora changed for the better. Or I'll be remembered as the person who tried. Not the person who gave up. Never that.

• You'll see eventually that the clique is too large and Magnagora is their playground.
  • What @Chirbo is saying is: you can't sit with them, @Yarou.

• SylandraSylandra Join Queue for Mafia Games The Last Mafia Game
    What @Falmiis said. Anytime you want to get something big done in Lusternia, there will be something or someone who gets in your way. You have to pick your battles and then commit to them. Sometimes you become unpopular because of what you stand for, but far better to stand for something than fall for everything. Go out and find the people who support you. Work together. Bringing about change can be slow, but I do wish you luck with it. Being the person who decides to face a problem is always harder than being the person who hopes someone else will deal with it.
    Daraius said:
    "Oh yeah, you're a naughty mayor, aren't you? Misfile that Form MA631-D. Comptroller Shevat's got a nice gemstone disc for you, but yer gonna have to beg for it."
  • Shaddus said:
    Don't take likes personally, Yarou. There are some people on this forums that refuse to like my posts no matter what they are.
    It's because you can't like your own posts, Shaddus.
  • Lavinya said:
    Yarou said:
    Nymerya said:
      Six agrees, hmm, Lusternia? And countless others on all the 'Mag is shit' posts? But yet no one agreed or liked my posts about trying to do something to actually change what's wrong?

Pathetic. You've all given up hope. People like Nymerya and Celina and others who once held positions of power in Magnagora could've actually done something to change Magnagora for good. I might be wrong, they may have done their best during their time, but regardless, their 'whatever, not my problem' attitudes are sad. Maybe pathetic is a strong word, but .. like I said, I care about Magnagora.

This is the last I'll post in this thread, considering I think I've said my piece and more, but before I go: I will see Magnagora changed for the better. Or I'll be remembered as the person who tried. Not the person who gave up. Never that.
    You're taking things too personally. It's not a reflection on you, and I'm sure you will do great things. I just hope that, unlike a handful of others like me, that you're not the only one trying to fight against the massive tide. It IS a problem, because it's not isolated - it's widespread and those who were trying to fix it or disliked it were pretty much the minority. Our dislike is not a personal reflection on you. 

Also please don't try and cast aspersions about us giving up and not caring...it's a game, and when it becomes unfun, you do what is fun. I played in Magnagora for six years. I was vernal ascendant, GM of  two guilds, held multiple ministries, head of an order. And I up and quit it all because Magnagora had gotten worse and worse and was so damned toxic and unfun. Please don't belittle those of us who tried for a long time, made many many sacrifices and endured a lot of frustration, hate and abuse for it and finally decided that a game is supposed to be fun, not teeth-grinding work. I love Magnagora. I love the lore, I love the guilds, I love the divine, and think a bunch of people there are all kinds of awesome. I miss it terribly. You don't throw away everything I had worked for because you're lazy or can't be bothered to do anything about it, like you're trying to imply. I'm probably a permanent enemy because I couldn't even bear to wait until I was descended. I get it's upsetting to hear negative reports like these, but rather than imply bad things about the people who finally decided to go somewhere that's less of a headache, read into what the problems actually are, and work with those awesome people to see Magnagora change. You're obviously passionate! And with people like @Othero (he had a massive influence on young Lavinya, he is a top example of an asshole Mag that never made me want to quit), @Zarialle, @Ilthilior, and all the others that actually care about decorum and roleplay I have no doubt you can succeed. I want you to, I can't wait for you to. But us old and tired people are entitled to our exhaustion. I just hope you don't end up in the same place.
    There are three issues. As Magnagora's leader, I hit the ground running. I posted my list of things and I've dreaded Decorum as a topic because there's something far more pressing (see: Ascension). Another problem I am having is that I'm not used to the power a CL has. So when I do something that I think is fine, sometimes people are like 'well, Ilthilior, what IS your official stance on something?' and I just stop and have to remind myself 'yes Warlord, think before acting'. Then we have the issue that Ilthilior is not the oldest CL ever, so his culture is something different that older Magnagorans grew up in. I'd like to think he has respect for people but it's far more complicated than a black or white issue.

Decorum is an issue because the idea of what Magnagora is different in everyone's mind, and the idea of 'what Magnagora should be' is even more varying, and I'm struggling with this concept. If there were a more clear goal, then I think the city aethers issue will solve itself. (I really hope that factions help me out too!)
  • LavinyaLavinya Queen of Snark Australia
    The decorum scroll has existed since I was a novice. I know a lot of people presumed it was Lavinya's 'thing' since I made a point of reinforcing it and updated it once or twice, but it is basically your framework for what is expected of your higher ranking nobles.

Of course being roleplay there will always be people who go over and above and those that won't come close, but that doesn't mean you can't have a standard. If people want to move away from the heritage that's all well and good, but having something for people to refer back to paves the way for every new person coming into the org to know what is appropriate and what is not. No one should be afraid of standing by the rules/expectations/guidelines/laws that have been set out. If they need modifying, then do it. It will always be better than uncertainty.

Yarou said:
    Nymerya said:

Uh, well...sorry? I left Magnagora some 8 or 9 years ago, to be clear, and I left before many of the people that are cited as problems even existed and Magnagora was still on a high note. The problems Magnagora has now are not the problems Magnagora had when I played there, because it was a very long time ago. 

That being said, call us pathetic, sad, jaded, whatever the case may be but Magnagora's problems are the sole creation of Magnagora and ultimately only a collective or majority decision by Magnagorans to address it (and throw some people out) will resolve it. There's a reason people like me or Lavinya or whoever wouldn't even bother trying to go back to Mag, we'd be cut off at the knees immediately. We'd be blocked from even getting in by the people who risk losing their playground privileges if anyone ever decided to actually clean house. The unfortunate reality of the situation is Mag has to fix it internally as is. 
  • LavinyaLavinya Queen of Snark Australia
    edited February 2016
    I presumed Yarou confused me for you, @Celina

EDIT: Or more accurately, you for me. Either way it's probably an insult to you, ha.

I'M REALLY SORRY I LEFT MAGNAGORA IN SHAMBLES OKAY. I THOUGH THOROS AND NARIAH COULD HANDLE IT. 
  • SylandraSylandra Join Queue for Mafia Games The Last Mafia Game
    I miss @Nariah.  =(( :((
    Daraius said:
    "Oh yeah, you're a naughty mayor, aren't you? Misfile that Form MA631-D. Comptroller Shevat's got a nice gemstone disc for you, but yer gonna have to beg for it."
  • DaraiusDaraius Shevat The juror's taco spot
    Shaddus said:
    Don't take likes personally, Yarou. There are some people on this forums that refuse to like my posts no matter what they are.
    Because I'll never beat you if I'm handing you points!!
    I used to make cakes.

Estarra the Eternal says, "Give Shevat the floor please."
  • ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    Daraius said:
    Shaddus said:
    Because I'll never beat you if I'm handing you points!!
    Being number one isn't important, grasshopper. What's important is the path to your goal.
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • Funny the guy who is number one says it doesn't matter. Typical.
  • edited February 2016
    Edit: Never mind. That's just an obnoxious comment.
This discussion has been closed.