Return to the Basin

I found my initial return to the Basin personally poignant enough to want to keep it here for posterity.

So I present to you: the day I kind of sort of hugged Daraius.

Edited to remove prompt-spam and for perspective.

---

(Great House Shevat): Daraius says, "Llesvelt, my goodness. What an unexpected surprise to sense your presence. Are you well?"

(Great House Shevat): You say, "I am confused. But well."

(Great House Shevat): Falmiis says, "Greetings!"

(Great House Shevat): Daraius says, "Mm, that is often the case on reawakening from a long slumber. Please, however I can be of service, let me know."

(Great House Shevat): You say, "It is quite alright. At the risk of sounding unduly emotional - your voice has replaced much of my confusion with contentedness."

(Great House Shevat): You say, "I've. Missed you so much, Daraius."

[TIME]

A subtle sparkle manifesting in his eyes as he briefly assesses you, Marquis Daraius Shevat says, "It is good to see you, Llesvelt. But may I buy you some clothes?"

You say, "That, ah. That was the plan, yes."

You say, "I'm re-learning many things."

You remove your wedding band, and you glance at it, wistfully.

You remove a diamond wedding band.

This finely crafted ring is formed of two bands of white gold,
intricately twined together so that in places it is difficult to tell
which is which. Sparkling diamonds are expertly set between the bands at
regular intervals, cut into small heart shapes. The perfection of these
tiny symbols of love is a testament to the care that went into the
creation of this piece.

Marquis Daraius Shevat says, "Mm, much has changed. Among them, Erudio is now a shop for bookbound goods, rather than clothing."

You nod, still listening, but focusing on the wedding band, which you turn between two fingers.

Daraius pours golden aubade white tea from a crystal bottle emblazoned with the seal of House Shevat into a beryl aerial tea cup.

Quietly observing your gestures, but making no comment, Daraius gives a beryl aerial tea cup to you.

Marquis Daraius Shevat says, "Position that strategically for a moment. I'll return with something for you, rather than parading you through the city."

Daraius leaves to the out, surrounded by swirling motes of golden light.

[TIME]

Daraius enters from the ether amid swirling motes of warmly-glowing golden light.

Daraius gives white dress trousers to you.

Daraius gives a long-sleeved black shirt to you.

You slip into white dress trousers.

Dutifully tidying his lapels, Marquis Daraius Shevat says, "Trousers are extraordinarily hard to find. I hope you don't mind wearing mine."

You slip into a long-sleeved black shirt.

With unspoken contemplation, you say, "I have a hard time minding much, at this time, truthfully."

"Mmm," Daraius hums in understanding, though the sound is more a growl than anything.

Making every effort to keep his tail at rest, Marquis Daraius Shevat says to you, "I am terribly excited to see you, but I don't wish to overwhelm you. I trust you have a great deal to take in, and perhaps many questions about the state of the city and family."

You smile softly at Daraius.

With a final look at your wedding band, which you then pocket, you say, "Right now I am just overjoyed to see you again."

A low, contented growl arises within Daraius's chest.

With what might be trembling in your voice, you say, "I've never been much of a poet, Daraius. I do not think I could ever find the words to express just how much."

You say, "They should have showed an artist this moment, and that artist would paint a piece like no one had ever seen. Or write a play that would turn hearts of stone to soft clay."

Daraius's growl becomes something of a chuckle as a rosy tint rises beneath the fur of face.

Earnestly, Marquis Daraius Shevat says, "I am honored to serve as a source of such peace on your reawakening."

Curiously, you say, "How long has it been?"

Daraius glances briefly at his pocket watch, then counts on his claws as his eyes dim in recollection.

It is now the 17th of Dvarsh, 435 years after the Coming of Estarra.

His whiskers drooping subtly, Marquis Daraius Shevat says to you, "About a hundred and thirty years."

You blink.

Marquis Daraius Shevat says, "Slightly longer than my wife's absence, actually."

You glance back at Daraius, and collect yourself. Sympathy in your eyes.

Golden motes manifesting about his aura, winking like fireflies, Marquis Daraius Shevat says to you, "She's returned as well, I should note."

You lighten up, relieved.

You say, "That is good to hear, Daraius."

Daraius dips his muzzle in agreement, a contented growl in his chest.

Marquis Daraius Shevat says to you, "Would you come with me for a moment? There is something I'd like to show you."

You begin to follow Daraius.

You incline your head politely to Daraius.

Daraius's tail flicks enthusiastically behind him.

[ROOMSPAM]

Delicately, Marquis Daraius Shevat says to you, "Your rooms in Erudio Manor are as you left them, but I understand you may not wish to return there immediately. But there is this space, in the city proper, where you can find some respite and privacy."

You glance about, and then you take a deep breath. Relieved, and relaxed.

Point upwards, and then behind him, Marquis Daraius Shevat says, "It is an extension of the Shevat Gallery spire. There are a number of public facilities, including a library just east of here."

With a gleam in your eye at the aesthetically pleasing nature of the area, you say, "My beautiful Hallifax stands yet."

You say, "And yet it is ruled by the Higher Emotions. Otherwise, how could such harmony exist?"

Nodding, Marquis Daraius Shevat says, "Indeed, and this garden is Lady Nihmriel's work."

Approaching the fountain, Marquis Daraius Shevat says, "Should you need more privacy, there is a portion of this estate reserved for Shevats and guests alone."

Marquis Daraius Shevat says, "Simply touch the fountain, and you'll enter a private parlour."

You follow along, and nod, glancing at the fountain.

Pausing, you say, "I do have questions."

Daraius swivels his ears towards you, listening with rapt attention.

Daraius turns up his paws in a benign gesture of acceptance, silver script flashing briefly across his padded palms. "I am at your service," he says earnestly.

Glancing to Daraius, and regaining perhaps a little bit of your old zeal, you say, "How is the state of the family? Are we yet represented in the upper echelons of power?"

You await the answer, obviously with some vested interest.

Marquis Daraius Shevat says, "You may have noticed we are recognized as a Great House, at long last. Though House Windwhisper attained that status before us, it is only a matter of time before we surpass them in the political arena."

Marquis Daraius Shevat says to you, "House Shevat is five generations strong!"

The corners of your mouth turn up as you grin mischievously.

Marquis Daraius Shevat says, "The Chairman, guildmasters of the Symphonium and Aeromancers, and five current ministers are all of House Shevat."

Contentedly, you say, "Good."

Meaningfully, glancing at the fountain, you say, "The day that the Shevat leave the control of Hallifax to other families is the day that Collectivism has breathed its last."

Daraius dips his muzzle humbly, a short, soft growl escaping his chest.

Marquis Daraius Shevat says to you, "I cannot foresee that happening. Though I have withdrawn somewhat from politics after serving as Ambassador for several decades, I have faith in the Shevat influence on our city's bearing."

Daraius's ear twitches towards a subtle ticking sound at his side, unheard until this moment. He glances again at his pocket watch, his ears falling back against his head as he observes the time.

You nod your head sagely.

Marquis Daraius Shevat says to you, "I wish I had days to bring you up to date, or simply to share tea with you, but my time is being cut short."

With finality, as if closing the conversation, you say, "The hegemony will stand. And with it, the soul of the Collective."

You incline your head politely to Daraius.

Earnestly, Marquis Daraius Shevat says, "Fates willing, we will cross paths soon. I do hope you'll have a chance to speak with Sylandra, as well, or any of our many, many new family members."

You say, "I will strive to do so. One last question?"

Daraius turns his attention towards you as his ears perk up in interest.

You say, "My son."

Daraius exhales a long, low growl, eyes dimming subtly.

Marquis Daraius Shevat says, "I have not seen much of him in recent years, sadly. Nor his wife or his pup, Felbroh."

You nod your head emphatically.

Brightening somewhat, Marquis Daraius Shevat says, "But I am always hopeful, and grateful for every moment I can share with any wayward Shevats."

Indicating you with an upturned paw, Marquis Daraius Shevat says, "I am continually and pleasantly surprised."

You smile softly.

You say, "You are running late."

Daraius swivels his ears about, trying to focus on some errant sound.

Daraius clasps his paws and offers a well practiced bow, meeting your gaze as he again considers you thoughtfully. After a moment's mental calculus, he steps forward and wraps his arms around your shoulders in a friendly, a soft growl rumbling in his chest.

Stepping back and executing another swift bow, Marquis Daraius Shevat says, "May you be well, and your efforts fruitful."

Marquis Daraius Shevat has lost you.

Daraius leaves to the up, surrounded by swirling motes of golden light.

Comments

• SylandraSylandra Join Queue for Mafia Games The Last Mafia Game
    Llesvelt said:

His whiskers drooping subtly, Marquis Daraius Shevat says to you, "About a hundred and thirty years."

You blink.

Marquis Daraius Shevat says, "Slightly longer than my wife's absence, actually."

Brb in 140 years, gotta one-up @Llesvelt.
    Daraius said:
    "Oh yeah, you're a naughty mayor, aren't you? Misfile that Form MA631-D. Comptroller Shevat's got a nice gemstone disc for you, but yer gonna have to beg for it."
  • DaraiusDaraius Shevat The juror's taco spot
    Welcome back, Llesvelt! :x

You only kind of sort of hugged Daraius because I accidentally omitted the critical noun. D'oh. 
    I used to make cakes.

Estarra the Eternal says, "Give Shevat the floor please."