Stuck conflict quests

QistrelQistrel the hemisemidemifink
Why does leaving certain quests undone lock out the possibility of doing the counter quest? This seems like a bad design, in that it encourages the people who really should be doing the quest for RP reasons, to not do it so they can lock stuff in a specific state.

I had to deal with people telling me I shouldn't be trying to take down Marilynth, and now it's apparently a good idea to not get Cthoglogg to Avatar, so that the Temple of the Hidden Empress stays open. It's so confusing.

Comments

• Eh, that's the way some things are - it would be nice to allow quests to go either way at every stage, but I sppose that's more work for the coders. Generally, you hope completing the quest to its entirety yields a good enough reward that people don't want to keep things as they are, but there are times when spiting the enemy is apparently more important than the rewards, and sometimes, that trumps all possible rewards, anyway. (Look at quests where the reward IS to spite the enemy, those are usually the ones everyone wants to do.)

Can't really be helped, and it happens on both sides. I usually don't care, and will just do the quest fully, if I can be bothered, though. At least, so far, I've not yet found a quest I'd like to not-do in order to spite others. Rather, when I don't-do them, it's because I'm too lazy.

• AeldraAeldra , using cake powered flight
    @Qistrel, I think @Lerad said pretty much all there is to say. There's people on both sides that believe it's more important to spite the enemy instead of following up the quest that aids their side. It's what it is, but it's your choice entirely if you want to join in with that.
    Avatar / Picture done by the lovely Gurashi.
  • XenthosXenthos Shadow Lord
    Pretty sure that the UV ones don't actually block the other side when partially done. I know for a fact that the Illithoid side is not blocked by partially-completed Kepheran quests. As an example, I once noticed that the other side was working on resealing the Prison, so I went and enslaved the hives. The wax block stuck around in Imhohet for a very long time (until it got back to that phase again and they finished it). Most recently, all except one of the orbs had been corrupted, and once that last one was corrupted the quest was completed even though the Keph end had been done all the way up to raising Zenobia (it remembered that the stage was set up to that point).

The only thing I have found that literally blocked the quests from being done was when a Certain Someone changed it so that you could put up the invulnerability orbs for the Keph Queens at any time (vs just a specific phase) and yet the livers could only be gathered at a specific phase. Good luck getting the orbs to corrupt them when they are floating on pedestals and Cyaratalegur refuses to help knock them off. Iosai worked with me to make sure that was fixed, though.
  • QistrelQistrel the hemisemidemifink
    So it turns out that the quest isn't stuck or anything, they just wanted to get me to raise Cthoglogg so someone could get the honours line for killing him. I don't know why they didn't just say so in the first place. Like, seriously, I would actually be more inclined to do it in that case.