Returning Newbie Woes

2»

Comments

• The Nihilist tasks make me want to hang myself from a tree and never come back to Lusternia ever again.
  • QistrelQistrel the hemisemidemifink
    They seem really old school, like, just after Lusternia started up and everyone who played was still in college and bunking lectures so had enough time to write essays about the Aspects of Moon or discuss the philosophical doctrines the of Demon Lords.

• Alseid said:
    The Nihilist tasks make me want to hang myself from a tree and never come back to Lusternia ever again.
    Yeah... the novice tasks for Nihilists are quite a bit different from what I remember doing, and they're currently under revision. I strongly suspect task-creep (some novice suprises guild leader by not knowing something/not having something and so a task gets added), and failure to remember that just because someone's a nihilist, doesn't mean they want to be a lusternia history nerd who writes 6 pages of journal entries just to move up one rank. (I say this as a lusternia history nerd who still wouldn't want to write that much on the assigned topics even though she actually tries to keep her ic diary going)

Hang in there!

• EveriineEveriine Wise Old Swordsbird / Brontaur Indianapolis, IN, USA
    I've tried alts in a few guilds who had advancement tasks so complex (and so poorly organized) that I simply gave up after reaching GR1.

On the other hand, people have told me the Serenguard advancement is far too easy/short. Maybe I overreacted...
    Everiine is a man, and is very manly. This MAN before you is so manly you might as well just gender bend right now, cause he's the manliest man that you ever did see. His manly shape has spurned many women and girlyer men to boughs of fainting. He stands before you in a manly manerific typical man-like outfit which is covered in his manly motto: "I am a man!"

Daraius said: You gotta risk it for the biscuit.

Pony power all the way, yo. The more Brontaurs the better.
  • Alseid said:
    The Nihilist tasks make me want to hang myself from a tree and never come back to Lusternia ever again.
    So I wrote a lot of the tasks that the current system is built off of and yeah, I was in college at the time. I've come back and looked at the system as an adult with a JOB and BILLS and just shook my head. I've been talking with Gavriel and pushing him towards an event based system. So instead of writing a bunch or showing that you need a ton of knowledge we want to base it around events and things for you to do. Things that you will walk away with remembering as fun instead of just a task you did.

• Qistrel said:
    They seem really old school, like, just after Lusternia started up and everyone who played was still in college and bunking lectures so had enough time to write essays about the Aspects of Moon or discuss the philosophical doctrines the of Demon Lords.
    Can I go to these schools you're referencing to? I want extra time (and willpower) to write things not related to school. :(

Avurekhos says, "Dylara's a PvP menace in my eyes, totes rekting face."

The eye of Dylara materialises in your hands and flings itself around your neck, tightening incomprehensibly until it is irremovable.
    Perfectly clean, this eyeball has been wrenched from the socket of Dylara. It has been animated by some unusual force, constantly looking around itself as if in shock or fear. It is bathed in a light covering of white flames that roll endlessly over its surface. A single chain of empyreal metal pierces either side of the eye, allowing it to be worn around the neck.

• I work for an airline. I barely have time to eat most days, never mind write so much down about the game then mail it.
  • They don't let you buy peanuts?
  • Othero said:
    They don't let you buy peanuts?

I'm ground crew, so no.
  • Alseid said:

That's no way to be. Come on, who says you have to advance all at once? There's no hurry to reach GR19 or whatever. Take it slow, focus on other things when it gets too much. And absolutely do talk to @Esca IG about the issues with the advancement system. He's awesome and I'm almost positive you'll spark some sort of change :)

• Yarou said:
    Alseid said:

That's no way to be. Come on, who says you have to advance all at once? There's no hurry to reach GR19 or whatever. Take it slow, focus on other things when it gets too much. And absolutely do talk to @Esca IG about the issues with the advancement system. He's awesome and I'm almost positive you'll spark some sort of change :)

Othero said:
    Alseid said:
    So I wrote a lot of the tasks that the current system is built off of and yeah, I was in college at the time. I've come back and looked at the system as an adult with a JOB and BILLS and just shook my head. I've been talking with Gavriel and pushing him towards an event based system. So instead of writing a bunch or showing that you need a ton of knowledge we want to base it around events and things for you to do. Things that you will walk away with remembering as fun instead of just a task you did.

• Yarou said:
    Alseid said:

The tasks to rank 2 are torture.
  • LavinyaLavinya Queen of Snark Australia
    When I was GA of the Nihilists I trimmed the fat some and tried to break it up so it was less tedious (and so that the interview didn't take a RL hour like it used to) but looking back even that was a big work load, and I know it slowly crept back up later with small tasks being added which made it all the more burdensome.

But boy, you should have seen the tasks when I was a Nihilist novice. Writing forever. You guys don't know how much easier you have it ;)

• I blame @Ashar, because he isn't here to defend himself.
  • I think a lot of the problem we have in Lusternia is that people are too quick to say "We've always done it like this". We can and should change novice requirements as needed.
  • The tasks to rank 2 were absolutely torture, @Alseid. I've had the requirements in my head for a bit, but I needed this little push to finally get them on paper and into place. Hopefully you'll consider the new approach a little more tolerable.
    Discord: Gal#1391
  • Gavriel said:
    The tasks to rank 2 were absolutely torture, @Alseid. I've had the requirements in my head for a bit, but I needed this little push to finally get them on paper and into place. Hopefully you'll consider the new approach a little more tolerable.

I completely understand why we need so much detail, because playing a Nihilist is very dependent on the games previous lore and events. As it stands though, I haven't found the depth of RP yet that you'd need to know all that for. I've really, actually, found no in depth RP at all in my time here...yet.
  • ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    I can remember a time when Nihilists weren't even allowed to have their symbol until GR3.
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • LavinyaLavinya Queen of Snark Australia
    Shaddus said:
    I can remember a time when Nihilists weren't even allowed to have their symbol until GR3.
    And they had to compose a full ritual to perform in front of a guild leader and at least two others in the presence of the chosen DL to actually do the deep pact. (Which the flavour was awesome but so much restriction, ha)

• I also remember these restrictions. Luckily, as a Baalphegarian dedicant, Tynghall was able to do some web-weaving and get around some of that.
    come2mag
  • I haven't had any real issue with novice tasks, on a personal level, but my general theory is that if I log into a game and it is more work to play the game than my real life job I will go find something else to do.
    I don't play games to relive my college essay days and I don't play games to have my time wasted jumping through hoops. Some semblance of "tasks" should be expected, but in the end it is still a game.
  • EveriineEveriine Wise Old Swordsbird / Brontaur Indianapolis, IN, USA
    Demartel said:
    I haven't had any real issue with novice tasks, on a personal level, but my general theory is that if I log into a game and it is more work to play the game than my real life job I will go find something else to do.
    I don't play games to relive my college essay days and I don't play games to have my time wasted jumping through hoops. Some semblance of "tasks" should be expected, but in the end it is still a game.
    You should be thankful you got here after the Magnolia Lock quest was removed. It was the epitome of logging in to do work instead of play.
    Everiine is a man, and is very manly. This MAN before you is so manly you might as well just gender bend right now, cause he's the manliest man that you ever did see. His manly shape has spurned many women and girlyer men to boughs of fainting. He stands before you in a manly manerific typical man-like outfit which is covered in his manly motto: "I am a man!"

Daraius said: You gotta risk it for the biscuit.

Pony power all the way, yo. The more Brontaurs the better.
  • QistrelQistrel the hemisemidemifink
    Dylara said:
    Can I go to these schools you're referencing to? I want extra time (and willpower) to write things not related to school. :(
    I should probably mention I got kicked out of college for failing too many courses due to not actually studying.