Hexes Discussion

Going through all the skills again, Hexes still stands out as one of my favorite tertiaries in the game (Tarot being the other).  However, I was a Hexen only once (as a Nihilist) and became very frustrated very quickly, as I just couldn't wrap my head around the skill.

So, from other experienced Hexes users, what are some strategies that have helped you (in whatever context)? What are some synergies between afflictions in the skill itself?  The more in-depth, the better.  I'm trying to wrap my head around affliction strategies that I may not otherwise see.

Thanks!

Comments

• Think Silvanus is your goto Nihilist Hexen. Might talk to him.

"But paradise is locked and bolted...

We must make a journey around the world

to see if a back door has perhaps been left open."

-Heinrich Von Kleist, "On the Puppet Theater"

• Daedalion said:
    Think Silvanus is your goto Nihilist Hexen. Might talk to him.
    Look for the man laughing madly in the middle of a forest of crucified corpses. That's him.
  • CyndarinCyndarin used Flamethrower! It was super effective.

Hexes is a one trick pony. Vapors spam to hide ectoplasm. His kills are more about balance loss stacking than anything hexes offers, speaking as someone who has fought him a few times. He did the blackout spam thing against me, it didn't work, and then it turns out he didn't need it. I was balance locked anyways. You can hex with scabies and epilepsy if overkill is your thing.

You can sleep lock, which is questionable without aeon, and give very short bursts of afflictions, but otherwise hexes is pretty meh. It's extremely costly and the 6 affliction limit combined with the power costs of guardian/wiccan instas makes hexes underwhelming. I'm working on a strategy to envoy it so it's actually a functional tert outside of vapors, but so far I'm meeting some pretty silly resistance to my suggestions.

• I'd hardly call hexes 'meh' - It's a very solid skillset when used correctly and after my little play around with it, am of the mind that the options available to it are certainly underplayed.
    Feel free to post logs.
  • SilvanusSilvanus The Sparrowhawk
    I find that both of you are right. It is extremely powerful, in its extremely limited state that makes it a one trick pony. Once you've drawn your hexes and begun your strategy, you will have to stick with that kill strat, or else wait a minute or more to recover the power from doublewhammying (and yes, you have to doublewhammy).
    2014/04/19 01:38:01 - Leolamins drained 2000000 power to raise Silvanus as a Vernal Ascendant.
    2014/07/23 05:01:29 - Silvanus drained 2000000 power to raise Munsia as a Vernal Ascendant.
    2015/05/24 06:03:07 - Silvanus drained 2000000 power to raise Arimisia as a Vernal Ascendant.
    2015/05/24 06:03:58 - Silvanus drained 2000000 power to raise Lavinya as a Vernal Ascendant.
    I will say it's definitely better for Nihilists and Illuminati than Wiccans because of the specific kill methods
  • SilvanusSilvanus The Sparrowhawk
    That I can agree with, though being Hexen destroys my ability to sleeplock it allows me to pursue options with a jinx-darkfate combo.

On the other hand, a Hexen Nihilist works well with a Cacophony member, because I actually have reliable methods to give all five plague afflictions that are usually unavailable to a Cacophony. Otherwise, the Skillset can tend to be rather lacking, only made up by the fact that Mugwump Hexens are really really fast.
    2014/04/19 01:38:01 - Leolamins drained 2000000 power to raise Silvanus as a Vernal Ascendant.
    2014/07/23 05:01:29 - Silvanus drained 2000000 power to raise Munsia as a Vernal Ascendant.
    2015/05/24 06:03:07 - Silvanus drained 2000000 power to raise Arimisia as a Vernal Ascendant.
    2015/05/24 06:03:58 - Silvanus drained 2000000 power to raise Lavinya as a Vernal Ascendant.
  • I always quite liked hexes, but went astrology because I found it more flavourful. I've looked a bit into potential with using moon dark and jinx - which seems to work alright. But yes, the trading speed of affliction for limited shots always did mean that if something went wrong it kinda sucked. Especially with more and more effective systems.
    Please note: I deliberately play a very flawed character. Just because he says or does something, does not mean I agree with it. He's a bit of a <censored> really
  • There is some level of utility with littering an area with drawn hexes as a way of knowing if your enemies enter the area. Although it does have the down side of having to turn off control and have the hexes you draw go off on the wrong people and at the wrong time.

It has its perks, and have used it for that, but it turns out to just be a super gimpy demesne watch. It's nice to spread paralyse hexes everywhere to keep runners under control. I've found it's not all that useful vs Celenwilde because of the non stop prismatic spam from trueheal/full/serpent/harmony. Slowing them down isn't that useful when you can't even hit them.

The problem with hexes, for wiccans, is that it's so expensive to do anything, and it lasts like 10-15 seconds before you are out of power, out of hexes, and the other guy cured most, if not all, of their affs. Shuyin even mentioned this problem with illuminati and having to restort to sleep spam and jinx just to wait for power regen, and they pretty formidable passive affliction capabilities to back it up.

I have a hexes report up to help with the overall problem of being super costly and the 6 hex limit. Getting some opposition though (with somewhat strange reasoning...I think there's a comment about giving hexes more "utililty. I don't know what that's about.) so feel free to comment/support/suggest alternative.

I think people are going to go OH GOD NO NIHILIST/ILLUMINATI OP. What can you do, though.