Getting Immersed in Lusternia

Hey! I've played several characters, but only one of them has made it past newbiehood, but i got burned out and bored, and stopped playing her, mainly for the reasons listed below. I like the game, a bit better than Achaea, because of the stage and library, but I find it hard to get immersed in the world. I like the game, and I want to make it a place where i enjoy myself, not somewhere where I play for maybe a few weeks and ragequit out of boredom. I get quickly burned out by hunting and influencing, and I don't have any commitments that encourage me to play. I also can't do commodity quests most of the time, because I don't know the way to a certain village, I'm not good at exploring, and it gets tiring asking for directions. Do you have any advice? I dream of being an ascendant, but it feels like a high climb for someone like me to get to demigod. Enjoy your day!

Comments

• If you're worried about directions, there is a pathing system that you can use. If you use LANDMARKS, most villages are landmarks and you can path walk to it. 

Have you considered doing stuff for the Lusternia Library and Stage items? It can be extremely rewarding, most organizations like to reward people who put in books and plays because it gets culture. 

I would also recommend using something like Mudlet and the free M&MF, which has an inbuilt map for the game if you're worried about getting lost. 

Roleplaying with your city/commune mates can also be rewarding, on a personal level. Glomdoring is pretty awesome, I can't speak for other orgs, but we're a pretty well knit group and there seems to be a lot of people who put a lot of effort into little things like custom emotes to bring life to their characters.

Hope it helps!

Avurekhos says, "Dylara's a PvP menace in my eyes, totes rekting face."

The eye of Dylara materialises in your hands and flings itself around your neck, tightening incomprehensibly until it is irremovable.
    Perfectly clean, this eyeball has been wrenched from the socket of Dylara. It has been animated by some unusual force, constantly looking around itself as if in shock or fear. It is bathed in a light covering of white flames that roll endlessly over its surface. A single chain of empyreal metal pierces either side of the eye, allowing it to be worn around the neck.

• Well, what do you like to do? What kind of things help you feel immersed? Is there a certain type of org environment or RP that appeals to you? If you are drawn to library and stage stuff, I suggest Hallifax and Glomdoring.

The good news is anyone can become an ascendant. True Ascendant takes a lot of time and work (took me 10 years!), but anyone who works hard and interacts with their org can become a Vernal Ascendant. So it's definitely something you can achieve with some time and effort. 
  • Mainly, I'd like something to commit to. Just doing college tasks, guild work, and hunting/influencing can get dull at times. I've been reading about a few gods, and I think I'd like to join an order? But I played Achaea and wanted to join an order, but one of the leaders told me to wait until I was older. Do divine orders not allow newer players to join? I'd like to join Maylea's order, or Viravain's if I go to Glomdoring, but I started a Glomdoring character and the forest gives me the creeps. Yeah, I'd like to do something for the library, but my ideas seem canned to me. I started off in Celest, but my name was Tilaris then, and I wanted to write poems about Raziela. Now that I'm in Serenwilde, I want to write something about the fae. I'd like some ideas that would stand out and be enjoyable to read, but i have trouble finding inspiration. Thanks for all your suggestions.
  • And one more thing, I use a screen reader, so I can't use maps. I tried the path find system, but I know I can be too far from a destination, and then not know how to get there. I prefer mush client for the way it handles screen reader support, and I've already set up some sound triggers. Speaking of, where can I find some sounds that'll fit into this theme? I want the full experience.
  • SylandraSylandra Join Queue for Mafia Games The Last Mafia Game
    Make friends. That sounds really trite but 100% worked for me. Find the people in your org that are doing the things you want to one day find yourself doing. If you like the library and the stage, read the books being written by your orgmates and watch the stage productions by them too. Send messages to the people whose works you enjoyed saying so. People love to share their passions with other people--and from what I can see, this is true for not just literary stuff, but also combat, questing, etc.

You can join Orders young. I did, and it definitely helped me find a place for myself. If you like art and you're in Serenwilde, maybe check out @Maylea and her orderlings? :)
    Daraius said:
    "Oh yeah, you're a naughty mayor, aren't you? Misfile that Form MA631-D. Comptroller Shevat's got a nice gemstone disc for you, but yer gonna have to beg for it."
  • Most, if not all, of the orders in Lusternia allow newer players. They might want you to be out of novicehood but otherwise I'm not familiar with any that completely restrict new players from joining.

• Whatever you decide you like to do, find people to do it with. It's the people that make this game what it is.

Mayor Steingrim, the Grand Schema says to you, "Well, as I recall you kinda leave a mark whereever you go."
  • edited March 2016
    Hello, Anniria! 

I saw you IG briefly, didn't talk to you much. I've only been playing a bit over a month so far, so in a lot of ways, I'm not the best person to ask about how to do stuff, but I'll give you a little bit of advice.

1) do the collegium tasks. They seemed really overwhelming when I started, but they help you understand some of the basic things and encourage you to get help and thus meet people! 

2) Teleport nexus (and some other things that will be explained with collegium/guild tasks) will REALLY REALLY help in getting around. 

3) Gaining levels and stuff: you're probably going to be stuck doing something tedius for a while if you want to advance. Learning a bit of Aethercrafting will give you another aspect of things you can do beyond influencing and hunting.

4) Orders - look really interesting, though I'm still working through a lot of the lore and haven't really been exposed to much IG. 

5) Maybe tradeskills will offer another outlet of interest for you, Again, completely useless there. 

6) Quests in genereal - there's a whole lot of quests in Lusternia! I've barely scratched the surface on them, but they look pretty amazing!

7) oh, and curio collecting! SOme of the quests give curios, and you can get started just by hunting weevils/rats! though I've killed 1000 of them and still working on that curio >.<
  • I read the help file on aethercraft, but I don't have a ship, and I don't think I have enough money to buy one. I've tried bookbinding, and think it's pretty cool. Yeah, I won a few on the wheel this month. I've been on an aetherhunt, but I just sat there, I didn't understand any of it. Thanks for your suggestions.
  • edited March 2016
    Aetherhunting is pretty much just sitting around anyway. It is good to have the skill for yourself if you just want to explore aetherspace/bubbles.

Ahunting is still good xp, but it's the conversations with people that get me through it. It's mind-numbingly boring. Set your mushclient to do what it needs to do, and be alert, because afk is bad. It's a good time to make friends.

EDIT And you can explore aetherspace/bubbles on your own with a single one-room ship. It's the big HUNTING ships that are expensive.

Mayor Steingrim, the Grand Schema says to you, "Well, as I recall you kinda leave a mark whereever you go."
  • Anniria said:
    I started off in Celest, but my name was Tilaris then, and I wanted to write poems about Raziela. Now that I'm in Serenwilde, I want to write something about the fae.

What!? No! You can't leave us, I wanted to have your poems published!!

But anyway, I think the best way to get involved with the RP of your org, and not be burned out by it, is to make friends with your city/commune mates. People here are wicked friendly, and will try to bend over backwards to give you things to do!

• I think, also, that one of the problems might be that I always play a character from Seren, Celest, or Hallifax. I admit that Celest and Seren suit my personality best, I've never tried playing a darker character.
    One thing to keep in mind too is that settling in takes awhile. I came to Lusternia as a true blue noob and I think it took me a month and a half to begin to know what I was doing when I logged in. Sometimes it's just throwing things at the proverbial wall until something sticks and you run with it.
    Daraius said:
    "Oh yeah, you're a naughty mayor, aren't you? Misfile that Form MA631-D. Comptroller Shevat's got a nice gemstone disc for you, but yer gonna have to beg for it."
  • One suggestion I have is to reach out to your Minister of Cultural Affairs or Librarian and talk to them. Ultimately promoting the stage and library should be part of their jobs. For example, Irillia (and Sylandra for that matter) in Hallifax are both very passionate about the stage. I cannot speak for what goes on in the other organisations but I am sure you'll be able to find someone who can at least point you to the right people.
  • Celest's current Minister of Cultural Affairs, @Jazella , is currently planning the Festival of Light. I know for a fact that if you message her showing interest in participating, she'll put you to work.

• Zvoltz said:
    Most, if not all, of the orders in Lusternia allow newer players. They might want you to be out of novicehood but otherwise I'm not familiar with any that completely restrict new players from joining.
    It used to be the case that some wanted you to be some level first. Something like 50-60ish. Not sure if that is still the case.
  • Steingrim said:
    Zvoltz said:
    Most, if not all, of the orders in Lusternia allow newer players. They might want you to be out of novicehood but otherwise I'm not familiar with any that completely restrict new players from joining.
    It used to be the case that some wanted you to be some level first. Something like 50-60ish. Not sure if that is still the case.
    That sounds lame. :(

Avurekhos says, "Dylara's a PvP menace in my eyes, totes rekting face."

The eye of Dylara materialises in your hands and flings itself around your neck, tightening incomprehensibly until it is irremovable.
    Perfectly clean, this eyeball has been wrenched from the socket of Dylara. It has been animated by some unusual force, constantly looking around itself as if in shock or fear. It is bathed in a light covering of white flames that roll endlessly over its surface. A single chain of empyreal metal pierces either side of the eye, allowing it to be worn around the neck.

• @Anniria Not sure if you're interested in the class, but if you're still in a forest you might consider playing one of the bard classes. They get the milestones ability early on and it really helps for getting around. 

If you decide to play in a city then city guardians can pick tarot, which higher up in the skill gives you the ability of 'catacombs' to get to all the villages easily. At a very low level in tarot you can learn 'hermit' which gives you the ability to return to a spot or spots you set. Easily one of the best travel ablities in the game.

If you opt for a city bard, you can have the best of all worlds. Milestones and tarot.

No matter what you do play, make sure you get advanced teleport in planar. I'll give you a couple places you can teleport to.

Lastly, consider what Cyndarin asked. We can try to make things you don't like better, but if you tell us what you do like that's really helpful.

You mentioned commodity quests. Unless you really want to do them, I wouldn't bother. They're more a side thing that can help a bit when you're a very low level, but honestly most the time few if any bother with them. However, Lusternia has some of the best full quests of any mud. If you like questing you shouldn't get bored with the quests here. Frustrated at times yes, bored no.
    Dylara said:
    Steingrim said:
    Zvoltz said:
    I've heard of instances where you're baptised regardless of level, but to get promoted to a certain point you must be level 50 or so. Which makes sense in a way, as it's a method to encourage you to go out and do things. (Also 50 is not hard to reach in this game! I say this as someone who despises grinding.)
    Daraius said:
  • Sylandra said:
    Dylara said:
    Steingrim said:
    Zvoltz said:
    I've heard of instances where you're baptised regardless of level, but to get promoted to a certain point you must be level 50 or so. Which makes sense in a way, as it's a method to encourage you to go out and do things. (Also 50 is not hard to reach in this game! I say this as someone who despises grinding.)
    I'm sure in ages past that the lvl 50ish req was there simply because of the 'let's make sure you're maybe going to stick around for longer than a few days'. However, these days you can get there in a day or two, so meh.
  • You hate grinding, and you think leveling is easy? Wow! Know of any nonviolent quests where I can help others and get creative? I have a taste for something that'll help me leave my mark on the world, but are more creative than puzzle-solving. It would really help if a level 12 could do them. Thanks.
  • TarkentonTarkenton Traitor Bear
    Hey Anni, talk to Faragan. He's another player that plays using a screen reader, he might have some tricks for getting around. That being said, if you're ever looking for some easy levels, hit me up. I have no problem helping out anyone in the game, and I likely have characters I can use to assist no matter which side you're on. If we can get you levels through you soaking up kill xp (but not having to kill) and you're okay with that (and I recognize you might not be) then game on.
  • Sure, I'd like that. I feel a bit guilty letting you do all the work, though.
  • Anniria said:
    You hate grinding, and you think leveling is easy? Wow! Know of any nonviolent quests where I can help others and get creative? I have a taste for something that'll help me leave my mark on the world, but are more creative than puzzle-solving. It would really help if a level 12 could do them. Thanks.
    I seem to mind grinding less then most people. Leveling to 50 really isn't very hard. If you go the quests in newton you're about 30th by the time you finish (assuming you can even finish them before you get tossed out). Doing things like commodity quests are going to slow down your leveling greatly. But novices have gotten to 50th in a day or two. Course this depends on where you hunt and how much time you spend. You might look for a hunting scroll or ask for suggestions.
    Also if friendly orgmates take you on an aetherhunt or out bashing in a group, expect to level dramatically.

Things slow down once you get post-80, I think, and especially slow once you get past 90, but the early few levels aren't so bad at all. :)
    Daraius said:
  • Wow! Well, that's out of range for me, I can't stand grinding. I went on an aetherhunt a few days ago. Didn't understand a thing they were doing either, and I kind of felt out of place, just doing nothing but soaking up the experience.
  • EnyalidaEnyalida Nasty Woman, Sockpuppeteer to the Gods
    That's basically how aetherhunts go, in almost all of the roles. 
  • What do you all do to make grinding more fun? Like I said, I can't stand it.
  • I also like family RP. The great house system seems really interesting, but I've never managed to find one. Like I said, I'd like something to commit to. Does anyone have any tips?
  • TarkentonTarkenton Traitor Bear
    edited March 2016
    For me, it's music, and seeing numbers go up. That, and how fast can I get through X area. Being able to chat with folks helps too.