Achievement Ideas!

ShaddusShaddus , the Leper MessiahOutside your window.
I was wondering if we might throw out some ideas for achievements that Estarra could look at and possibly implement. Post your own or comment on others! (Some of these names and ideas are tongue in cheek)

Everyday I'm shuffling - Get the last influence to win the village for your home.

It's good to be king - Join the inner order of your chosen deity.

How much for that slivven in the window? - sell 10 slivvens to the Starhopper crew.

I shall call him... mini me. - gain a protege in your guild.

Teach me baby one more time! - one of your protégés transcends a guild skill.

Lil' Sketcher - Have a design with your name set as the designer, approved.

Crafter of the Ages - have 25 designs approved.

Bane of the Charites - have 100 designs approved.

First Contact - send someone in your guild a message.

Smoke 'em if you got 'em - have three pipes with the correct herbs in them.

Whazzat? - be so drunk you fall down.

Meer! - have a design rejected with your name attached.

There are some who call me.... Tim. - be set on fire, and then put it out!

Despite all my rage - be killed by a rat.
Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.

Comments

• Get It Together - Complete a curio.
    Get Around in Style - Complete a curio set.
    Get Some Help - Complete all curio sets.
  • ElanorwenElanorwen The White Falconess
    The meer achievement sure made me giggle. Overall, it looks like a laugh.

Forgiveness is the fragrance that the violet sheds on the heel that has crushed it.
  • NeosNeos The Subtle Griefer
    I liked it simply for the achievement names.
    Love gaming? Love gaming stuff? Sign up for Lootcrate and get awesome gaming items. Accompanying video.

Signature!

Celina said:
    You can't really same the same, can you?
    Zvoltz said:
    "The Panthron"
  • While I approve in general, please let us avoid achievements which can't be reasonably accomplished by everyone.

Imagine a demi+ trying to get the 'Despite all my rage' achievement.  Standard Titan regen would be enough to make that impossible.

• ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    A lot of these are mostly for amusement. Maybe the Admin will add a bubble with giant rats at some point >.>
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
    Thul said:
    Get It Together - Complete a curio.
    Get Around in Style - Complete a curio set.
    Get Some Help - Complete all curio sets.
    Be even more entertaining if the reward for completing all curio sets is... curios.

Forgiveness is the fragrance that the violet sheds on the heel that has crushed it.
    Masochist - kill yourself with a guild skill.

POWAH! - gain 50% power reserves.

Nifilhema would be proud - bleed for over 1k (or) die due to bleeding.

Raziela made me do it - wear at least 25 flowers.

Scented and I know it - Be afflicted with stink.

All of the shinies - own an artifact. (something shown on artifact list)
    You can do it, put your back into it - have 50 items in your pack, not including gold.

Don't ask me, I just work here - become an undersecretary, protector, or their upgraded positions.

Übermensch - Be a demigod or higher, and completely, scarily, utterly naked.

I'm not even supposed to be here today! - blow up on an aethercraft.
  • Instead of making a different discussion, ill just ask here:

Could the achievements for bard, scholar, pilgrim, and power quest completions not reset if you dont do them everyday? Some of us cannot reliably log on every single day, and even more of us can, but dont have enough time to do those, albeit they only take 30 mins tops, unless you have to wait on spawns. Still five consecutive days is painful for me. I get to like three of four, then RESET!...yay.

• XenthosXenthos Shadow Lord
    Barendur said:

Instead of making a different discussion, ill just ask here:

Could the achievements for bard, scholar, pilgrim, and power quest completions not reset if you dont do them everyday? Some of us cannot reliably log on every single day, and even more of us can, but dont have enough time to do those, albeit they only take 30 mins tops, unless you have to wait on spawns. Still five consecutive days is painful for me. I get to like three of four, then RESET!...yay.

I agree that it's annoying it resets.  As it is, I feel like I have snag the things from the newblets who I see running around at the same time because if I miss it, I'm out a few days of tracking them down.  Many days that's a good half-hour+ of work, since I have to wait for the things to respawn before I can even collect them (so I end up just running around the mountains like crazy until I run into them).
    Xenthos said:
    Barendur said:

I agree that it's annoying it resets.  As it is, I feel like I have snag the things from the newblets who I see running around at the same time because if I miss it, I'm out a few days of tracking them down.  Many days that's a good half-hour+ of work, since I have to wait for the things to respawn before I can even collect them (so I end up just running around the mountains like crazy until I run into them).
    While I agree, it is likely intended to be that way and unlikely to change. I'm personally not to keen on the amount of repetitions needed for the top tier, so haven't really bothered with it beyond the first set. I've had enough dailies to last me a lifetime after playing WoW for a good several years.

Elanorwen said:
    Xenthos said:
    Barendur said:

While I agree, it is likely intended to be that way and unlikely to change. I'm personally not to keen on the amount of repetitions needed for the top tier, so haven't really bothered with it beyond the first set. I've had enough dailies to last me a lifetime after playing WoW for a good several years.
    Luckily, not having played WoW, I have been consistently grinding this one...

... did I really mean luckily?  I will leave that as an exercise for the reader to determine.
  • Please, less "do 100/1000/10000 stuff" achievements, more unique and fun ones.
    Like "Weird taste" for kissing fink momma
  • edited March 2013
    Here's some that Dakuan suggested--not sure how hard these would be to implement, but I'm basing them on fun ones I've seen in Various Steam Games.

• Unlucky Lucky -- You got thirteen of the highest critical hits in a row.
    • Double Dwarf -- You saw Tully in the same room as his Bottledowns Doppleganger
    • On the Cusp of Death -- You survived an encounter with only 1 health point left
    • This Day will Live in Infamy -- You were killed in the same room with at least 30 other people within 6 seconds.
    • Met Rip Van Winkle -- You encountered somebody who just became active in the last day who hasn't been active for over 36 months.
    • Met Methusela -- You encountered a person who's been with Lusternia created during Open Beta.
    • Syzygy Up -- You successfully used an Astrology Attack during the Syzygy
    • Stzygy Down -- You were affected by the most powerful Astrology attack during the Syzygy
    • Other Birthday -- You are logged on during your character's birthday on the date of your real birthday.
    • Not in Kansas Anymore -- You entered a location you normally shouldn't ever see.
    • 15 Minutes of Fame -- You were mentioned in an events post.
    • Met the Savior -- You met Ilyarin, the only person to achieve Ascended Godhood.
    • Met Supercrow -- You met Xenthos, the only person to ever have time dopplegangers.
    • Soul Hobo -- You have reincarnated through all of the Lusternian Races WITHOUT being a changeling.
    • I Knew Ya in all Incarnations -- You have encountered all aspects of a changed God (Hajamin/Morgfyre, Lacostian/Elcyrion/Elostian)
    • Slumming with the Mortals -- You met an ephemeral.
    • Yes, I'm a Ho -- You've been married and divorced over 6 times.
    • Addicted to Wanderlust -- You've been a member of every city and commune at one time.
    • Can't decide my career -- You've been a member of every guild everywhere at one time.
    [BANNERCODE]
  • Tully said:
    Here's some that Dakuan suggested--not sure how hard these would be to implement, but I'm basing them on fun ones I've seen in Various Steam Games.

• Unlucky Lucky -- You got thirteen of the highest critical hits in a row.
    • Double Dwarf -- You saw Tully in the same room as his Bottledowns Doppleganger
    • On the Cusp of Death -- You survived an encounter with only 1 health point left
    • This Day will Live in Infamy -- You were killed in the same room with at least 30 other people within 6 seconds.
    • Met Rip Van Winkle -- You encountered somebody who just became active in the last day who hasn't been active for over 36 months.
    • Met Methusela -- You encountered a person who's been with Lusternia created during Open Beta.
    • Syzygy Up -- You successfully used an Astrology Attack during the Syzygy
    • Stzygy Down -- You were affected by the most powerful Astrology attack during the Syzygy
    • Other Birthday -- You are logged on during your character's birthday on the date of your real birthday.
    • Not in Kansas Anymore -- You entered a location you normally shouldn't ever see.
    • 15 Minutes of Fame -- You were mentioned in an events post.
    • Met the Savior -- You met Ilyarin, the only person to achieve Ascended Godhood.
    • Met Supercrow -- You met Xenthos, the only person to ever have time dopplegangers.
    • Soul Hobo -- You have reincarnated through all of the Lusternian Races WITHOUT being a changeling.
    • I Knew Ya in all Incarnations -- You have encountered all aspects of a changed God (Hajamin/Morgfyre, Lacostian/Elcyrion/Elostian)
    • Slumming with the Mortals -- You met an ephemeral.
    • Yes, I'm a Ho -- You've been married and divorced over 6 times.
    • Addicted to Wanderlust -- You've been a member of every city and commune at one time.
    • Can't decide my career -- You've been a member of every guild everywhere at one time.

Only thing about some of those is that they aren't retroactive, so a lot of them would not ever be able to be completed.
  • EritheylEritheyl ** Trigger Warning **
    Not fond of these 'You met/encountered/saw' ideas.
    Crumkane, Lord of Epicurean Delights says, "WAS IT INDEED ON FIRE, ERITHEYL."

-

With a deep reverb, Contemptible Sutekh says, "CEASE YOUR INFERNAL ENERGY, ERITHEYL."
  • edited March 2013
    Keep in mind I'm just looking at cool achievements from games I've played--and I am making the assumption that people aren't going to "ho" them, and in a few cases I was using examples as a rare occurance.  (I certainly wouldn't want to be pinged to go to Bottledowns each time I logged in.  "Yo, Tully, help me get the Double Dwarf achievement").

I do think the Rip Van Winkle/Methusela is kind of neat though--that way, some people might be encouraged to come back and then stay for a bit.  :-)

Some of the goofiest achievements I've seen come from the Brutal Legend game I just finished on Steam.  I'm not really a fan of heavy metal but man, that was a fun game.  
    [BANNERCODE]
  • edited March 2013
    Tully, I like them. Those are exactly kind of achievements Id love to see in game. Even if some of them I would never be able to complete (at least there is something to strive for).
    I'm on to you, Tully.

You just want to force me to buy a gilded mirror so I can meet myself.
  • The only ones I can approve of is 15 minutes of fame and other birthday, and even the event post achievement is probably a no go since A, it makes the drama about being named in a newspost all the greater, and B, it gives admin extra work and no return, but rather more complaints about favouritism.

The others are impossible, unlikely, specifically refer to certain players who have qualities that aren't actually that unique and may happen again in the future, or in one instance requires you to break the game.I really do not like these.
    Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.
  • A few others, based on whimsy.  (don't know if they are all feasable, a few might have to be manually awarded, but who cares).

• This is the big one, Elizabeth! -- Perform the Heartattack emote and then Heartstop as your next command.
    • I don't Belieeeve it!!!! -- Disbelieve 10 illusions in a row.
    • Don't stop believing -- Fall victim to 10 illusions in a row.
    • Offend Mrs. Bucket -- Perform a disgusting emote (picknose, fart, etc.) in front of more than 20 people.
    • Take my breath away -- Have you voice muffled by the wind 7 times in a row.
    • Beaver Fever -- Cut down 10 trees in the same area in a single game-day.
    • STFU -- Get killed within 10 seconds after shouting.  (God zaps and suicides don't count)
    • You lost your luggage -- Drop over 50 auto-dropped items by logging out/being disconnected.
    • You talkin' to me?  -- Walk around deaf without realizing (curing) it for over 10 minutes.
    • I got a feelin', Somebody's watching me -- Be scried by over 12 different people in a single minute.
    • Pied Piper -- Be followed by over 50 people.
    • My feet hurt -- Enter every room in one of the largest game areas within a 2 hour time period (think Icewynd, Undervault, Eventru's Godrealm).
    • Knocked Outta Heaven -- Get killed in the Vault of Heaven.
    • The Church does not recognize limbo -- Get killed in the Transplanar Fulcrux (Cubix/Torus/Seal zones).
    • Lemmings over the cliff -- Lose over a dozen people following you by flying/scaling/swimming.
    • Holiday, Celebrate -- Be logged in on Lusternia for over an hour during a major US Holiday.
    • Revenge of the vermin -- Get killed by a rat, weevil, pigeon or lizard when over level 50.
    • Beware of Damian -- Have one of your stats hit 666 due to combat or specific healing.
    • I asked Estarra a Question and all I got was a lousy T-Shirt -- Have your questions answered by Estarra during Ask Estarra.
    • I yam what yam -- Your character has never reincarnated -- Acheivement achieved when spent over X days playing, removed if you ever Reincarnate.
    • They are talking about you behind your back -- Have 30 other players say your name within 1 minute.
    • Love to Love ya, Lovecraft -- Survive a rising of a Souless God.
    • This ain't no Hollywood Marriage -- Be married for more than 5 real-world years.
    • Keeping up with the Gosslings -- Have 8 or more children with a single spouse.
    • You better not zap me for this -- Say the name of a god during a Stupidity Attack
    [BANNERCODE]
  • edited March 2013
    By the way, I'm not sure how complex or the capabilities of the achievement code works, or how sophisticated the event handlers are for this game.  I'm just having a little fun and thinking of stuff.  
    [BANNERCODE]
  • RancouraRancoura the Last Nightwreathed Queen Canada
    ...Do we really want to encourage people to die for achievements?

Tonight amidst the mountaintops
    And endless starless night
    Singing how the wind was lost
    Before an earthly flight

• TurnusTurnus The Big Bad Wolf
    edited March 2013
    Rancoura said:
    Totally.

Nice consolation prize when you get frustrated over dying. I had a game give me an achievement for crashing it once. Rather amusing.

Lets not do a 100 deaths achievement though.

Edit: Just a single death achievement would be fine I think. Not multiple deaths or exotic deaths like dying specific ways.

~--------------**--------------~

The original picture of Turnus is still viewable here, again by Feyrll.
    edited March 2013
    Turnus said:
    Rancoura said:
    Totally.

Nice consolation prize when you get frustrated over dying. I had a game give me an achievement for crashing it once. Rather amusing.

Lets not do a 100 deaths achievement though.

Edit: Just a single death achievement would be fine I think. Not multiple deaths or exotic deaths like dying specific ways.
    My argument would be that people will intentionally be trying to die for the sake of the achievements. That's a terribly easy and (for some) tempting way of breaking immersion that I'd personally rather not see in Lusternia.

Before an earthly flight

• It's already the case with arena achievements, and the admin stance on it is that it's perfectly fine to pay someone ICly to be a partner in the arena to repeatedly die for you to get said achievements. While I do not feel adding more of such in the form of death achievements will add to the game in a constructive way, I don't see any reason to be raising a big fuss about it either. If people want to suggest these sorts of achievements, all the power to them. Whether or not the admin feel it will be good for the game to add more is entirely another question.

edited March 2013
    As long as the admin take into account that some players are against it enough to speak up, then sure. Suggest away.

Before an earthly flight

• TurnusTurnus The Big Bad Wolf
    edited March 2013
    Rancoura said:
    My argument would be that people will intentionally be trying to die for the sake of the achievements. That's a terribly easy and (for some) tempting way of breaking immersion that I'd personally rather not see in Lusternia.
    Let's be honest, that threshold has already been crossed really. 

Edit: And not just with achievements I mean. Though dying once in a non-specific way doesn't strike me as particularly bad or something that would be grinded to the detriment of immersion.

~--------------**--------------~

The original picture of Turnus is still viewable here, again by Feyrll.
  • Keep in mind, my suggestion for Achievements is based on my own achievement lists on Steam.  From what I see, the way achievements are setup in games is usually one of the following reasons.

* Specific Phases of Plot or Completion (Chapters, Acts, Boss Fights).
    * Specific Decisions made in a branching storyline.
    * Combat or Task Specific Achievements--Collect Everything / n Number, Use X move Y times, Kill Z people.
    * "Penalty Achievements"--This is more or less a badge indicating that you had trouble, like Dying X times, Losing N times in a row.  
    * Rare or Quirky Achievements--These are thing that go against the norm and are meant for specific challenges or just to be funny.  Examples include the Plants vs. Zombies ones where you don't use any mushroom plants during the night, for instance, or the Brutal Legend ones of putting 4 heads of the main character of Psychonauts on a Mount Rushmore like place, or making out with your love interest while wearing a mountain man costume.  They can also be improbable achievements based on ordinary circumstances--I think Ubisoft had one for AC where you killed somebody with a broom you picked up, or used a fish to kill somebody in Sleeping Dogs.

I was mostly aiming at the latter ones, and trying to combine the quirky ones with some numbers.  Honours takes care of the plot related stuff, while Achievements in game take care of the training related stuff for the first two and the third one.

Keep in mind, I see the spirit of achievements as just a badge of honor, I don't see it as something where you are expected to actively get all of them or that people will active quest to get all of them, especially the last two categories.

I've read the help files, and realize that all Acheivements are meant to give out points.  So maybe the quirky ones aren't appropriate here--though maybe (if it's possible) there could be a "quirky achievements" thing in the future where there are setup (either public or secret) and then they just are given out.  Maybe something different, an "Honours Dubious" setup or a "Quirks" setting that uses the achievement code.

[BANNERCODE]
  • ...I should be reading the forums it seems. Meer Shaddus, meer.
    Bookbinder by trade! Designer of most other things.