IC Theatre Plays - How long is too long?

Ok, so, I wrote a play for Magnagora, yay. (Formal invitations pending) But after a couple of dress rehearsals to check timing, looks like, a straight-through run would be about an hour and fifteen minutes... Breaking that into two parts, currently is roughly 35 minutes and 45 minutes. 

Of those who enjoy watching plays and actually attend premiers IG, what is more palatable? One long play, but be done sooner and get the content all at once? Or two shorter-ish plays with an intermission towards the middle to stretch your legs, use the bathroom, let your character nap, etc? Either way it will all need done in one night, I have a hard enough time scheduling and my play involves 4 players besides myself to coordinate with. :-S

The play is set to premier on the night of April 29th, Friday. Basically April 30th 00:00 GMT. I want to invite both Gaudiguch/Glomdoring and was told Hallifax might like an informal invite for non-enemies... if that makes a difference for who might reply! Though obviously I'd love anyone's thoughts on past experience and all that.

I'm torn honestly and I'm of two minds on how to lay this out so I'm just going to ask potential audience members and spectators what they might prefer. I am also potentially being OCD because I want to prepare people via the formal invitations what to expect because it will be a long one. The kind not seen in Magnagora since I started playing there anyway. So I turn to the forums for advice and general feedback.

Help!

:-SS X_X
Zarialle's first dance:
Trader Bob leads Zarialle through the dancers to the dance floor and brings her all the way to its heart.

Comments

• From a personal standpoint, I would try to go for a max of 10-20mins. I lose interest quickly with places from some reason at around 10 minutes and stop paying attention. But I am also weird apparently in that I read as it happens and don't wait until the end, go back and read all at once as some do.
  • Do people wait until the end and go back and read all at once? I definitely read as it's happening, although depending on delivery speed I may end up reading in chunks as it's progressing.

General Hallifaxian trend has been that anything over 40 minutes gets broken up into two or three pieces, and then either performed all at once, or when there's sufficient audience to justify it. Hallifax definitely has a culture of almost everyone showing up to show up to plays, even if you login halfway through. I think the two parts with an intermission works better for us. I'm not sure how that will translate to Magnagora, but the split might make it less intimidating to people who aren't all that used to long plays.
  • DaraiusDaraius Shevat The juror's taco spot
    I 100% endorse splitting your play into two parts. Some might consider it gauche or "cheating" to break one performance into multiple parts, but given the mechanics of replays at the stage, it really is the only way you'll get people to watch your longer plays. As long as the break falls at a natural place in the story and you're not just arbitrarily dismantling the piece to milk potential prestige awards, I say go for it. 

Keep in mind that live performance is going to take so long. Since you've been rehearsing, things will hopefully go pretty smoothly for you, but anticipate your live performance lasting twice as long as the finished recording. Don't be disheartened if you lose a few audience members at intermission. And pray we don't have a flare or revolt in the middle of it.

You should also definitely invite Hallifax. Send an invitation to @Irillia, at least, so she can post it to the news, or send personalized invitations to some of Halli's famous actors and theatre patrons. ;)
    I used to make cakes.

Estarra the Eternal says, "Give Shevat the floor please."
  • AeldraAeldra , using cake powered flight
    I think in my 8 months of playing I've not been able to see a single play :-( I still would dare forecast as much as exciting something like that would sound, I guess splitting it in two would be generally more beneficial for those who attend, as, if what Daraius says is true, that it takes twice as long as in the rehearsal, 2 hours is way too long to capture even the most enthuasiastic audience. I hope your play goes well and good look with it :-)
    Avatar / Picture done by the lovely Gurashi.
  • I've seen a handful of plays, but I'd nope my way right back to Gaudiguch if they said it was 30 minutes long. IMHO, anything longer than 10 minutes is going to lull people to sleep. Bear in mind a play is basically reading a book, only you can't read at your own pace. You have to wait for it to progress, which is less than exciting for most people. 
  • @Daraius STAGE LOOK is a thing?
    is dead like the dodo
  • XenthosXenthos Shadow Lord
    Daraius said:
    What weirdos are letting a play run and then just reviewing the log instead of reading along as it goes? :-/ Don't you STAGE LOOK regularly to see all the costumes and scenery the playwright worked so hard on?
    I think I have done this exactly once.  As in, looked at one character in one play.
  • Daraius said:

You should also definitely invite Hallifax. Send an invitation to @Irillia, at least, so she can post it to the news, or send personalized invitations to some of Halli's famous actors and theatre patrons. ;)
    I was hoping that some of the famous/infamous actors and those involved in theatre in Hallifax might decide to show. :D I know it's going to be long. Hopefully we can stay true to the 35 and 45 mins (or less).
    Flames erupt from the caldera below as a distorted voice echoes, "Their spirit must be broken if they wish to be reborn as true warriors."
  • DaraiusDaraius Shevat The juror's taco spot
    I've already cleared my schedule for Friday night. ;;)
    I used to make cakes.

Estarra the Eternal says, "Give Shevat the floor please."
  • Daraius said:
    What weirdos are letting a play run and then just reviewing the log instead of reading along as it goes? :-/ Don't you STAGE LOOK regularly to see all the costumes and scenery the playwright worked so hard on?
    That is what I was told people do when I commented on time about the timing being a bit too fast in one play or something. I only STAGE LOOK for the points it gives. I don't actually read of any that stuff >.>
  • SylandraSylandra Join Queue for Mafia Games The Last Mafia Game
    I honestly don't think it matters. I first try to write a story. I then break up the story if I have to in order to make it bearable for the viewer. Good rule of thumb is trim fat. Keep only the scenes and actions that propel the plot forward. Dialogue should always have a purpose.

That said I've written long plays before, because I always write long. I'm not offended if someone doesn't want to watch a play I've written because it's long. It's very much a personal preference thing. Like I can watch all of Linaeve's "A Twisted Skein" and not break a sweat, because I think it's super awesome. But there are some people who would rather do other stuff when logged in, which, fair. That's kind of how I feel about domoths.
    Daraius said:
    "Oh yeah, you're a naughty mayor, aren't you? Misfile that Form MA631-D. Comptroller Shevat's got a nice gemstone disc for you, but yer gonna have to beg for it."

• Sylandra said:
    But there are some people who would rather do other stuff when logged in, which, fair. That's kind of how I feel about domoths.
    Trust me, most of us feel the same way about domoths :P