Domoths

Excluding the domoth fight I was just in which was fun and exciting albeit in a face-destroying sort of way, most domoths are very boring. Part of this is a natural consequence of players choosing to domoth at times when opposition is unlikely, which isn't something that can be easily addressed, but another part is the unnecessary bloat that's involved in the process.

Here are how I view the stages of domothing from a practical point of view:

Stage 1: Warning for the enemy team and prep time for your team. Weeds out weaker (con wise) demis from challenging level 3 thrones.
Stage 2: The meat of it, proves the fighting power and coordination of the groups involved. This is the actual fun part.
Stage 3: Causes a domoth to reset if you're prevented from entering the veil. Causes a lot of essence loss.

To me stage 3 is completely unneeded in its current form. I'm sure having this whole process take an hour and a half minimum for a demigod was designed this way to feel epic, but to me it only does when stage 2 is exciting. Basically the one interaction I've seen with stage 3 is when IronHart managed to stop a domoth challenger from entering the veil and causing the domoth to reset. I've only seen this happen once, and it's about the only interesting thing about stage 3. In addition to this unlike stage 1 I've never seen or heard of anyone dying to the defenders in stage 3. With that in mind I propose that stage 3 be replaced with a domoth verb, say DOMOTH ACCEPT <throne>. It would still require you to actually physically make it through the veil but instead of waiting for 30 minutes you would instantly lose that equivalent amount of essence. This change wouldn't change the balance of the game at all but would free up players to do more things that they enjoy.

Comments

• ElanorwenElanorwen The White Falconess
    I'd certainly agree with that. The whole thing is rather boring, heck, even at crown level, it's possible to just switch your basher on and sit there, unless you're really squishy Last time, I ascended a throne, I was certainly quite grateful for the NCIS marathon that was running on the TV that I could watch out the corner of my eye.

Forgiveness is the fragrance that the violet sheds on the heel that has crushed it.
  • I agree with Stage 3 being unnecessary with the way Domoths are now. Stage 1 is Demi+ fighting, Stage 2 is for everyone, Stage 3 is...PvE? Not exactly thrilling.
    If it's broken, break it some more.
  • Another view of it:

It's not exactly common that people hinder stage 1, but it's certainly not unheard of either. Sometimes, it can even be to the point of failing.

It's somewhat common for there to be a fight over stage 2, and many a domoth has been lost during it.

Losing a domoth at stage 3 is... well, it's happened, but it's far from common, and basically only happens if there's an OOC problem (i.e. the domother gets disconnected or whatnot). I don't think I've ever heard of someone losing stage 3 because of a lack of ability.

Given the above, I'd be perfectly fine with skipping stage 3.
  • CyndarinCyndarin used Flamethrower! It was super effective.

Stage three always feels like a punishment. Sucking away my essence after an hour of grinding and possibly murdering/getting murdered. I've never liked it.

• SilvanusSilvanus The Sparrowhawk
    Absolves are the worst.
    2014/04/19 01:38:01 - Leolamins drained 2000000 power to raise Silvanus as a Vernal Ascendant.
    2014/07/23 05:01:29 - Silvanus drained 2000000 power to raise Munsia as a Vernal Ascendant.
    2015/05/24 06:03:07 - Silvanus drained 2000000 power to raise Arimisia as a Vernal Ascendant.
    2015/05/24 06:03:58 - Silvanus drained 2000000 power to raise Lavinya as a Vernal Ascendant.
  • ShuyinShuyin The pug life chose me.
    I agree with the opening.

I'd prefer domoths be examined as a whole again, but the suggestion above isn't bad at all. Speeds things up a bit.
  • You have to remember Domoths are great perks. I haven't found it to be entirely non-sensical to have to pay in Stage 3 to get them, especially if you are just any other Demi.

Wouldn't oppose the idea of speeding it up however.

• Vadi said:
    You have to remember Domoths are great perks. I haven't found it to be entirely non-sensical to have to pay in Stage 3 to get them, especially if you are just any other Demi.

Wouldn't oppose the idea of speeding it up however.
    This particular proposal would still require you to lose the equivalent amount of essence, just without the time spent doing so. So basically if you'd be losing 500 essence a second (I'm not actually looking up numbers here but as an example) and you'd have to spend 1800 seconds to claim you'd instantly lose 500*1800 essence. It is still nerfing the cost in the sense that instead of losing essence and being deprived of half an hour of bashing time you're only losing the essence. If that's a big deal you could play with the numbers and have it cost more essence, but to me the important part is what Celina said, stage 3 feels like a punishment, you're being drained of essence as well as time (which is the source of essence) so it feels doubly taxing.

Or another way to look at it is the game design is intended for people to participate in domoths, so while it shouldn't be easy street to take and control a domoth you shouldn't feel punished for doing so. I honestly feel like this is a contributory factor to ascendantitis (the disease that causes ascendants to quit playing the game also the disease that Shuyin and Viynain are mystically immune to being afflicted with :P).

• XenthosXenthos Shadow Lord
    See, I don't have any problem with Stage 3.  It feels like a decent "downtime" from whatever happened in stage 2.  It's not terribly long for Ascendants at least (a whopping 20 minutes), and it gives a nice little buffer between Domoth stages.

Plus, you also get more essence during that time which helps counter the essence it's burning up.

I've never considered it a punishment.

• Xenthos said:
    See, I don't have any problem with Stage 3.  It feels like a decent "downtime" from whatever happened in stage 2.  It's not terribly long for Ascendants at least (a whopping 20 minutes), and it gives a nice little buffer between Domoth stages.

Plus, you also get more essence during that time which helps counter the essence it's burning up.

I've never considered it a punishment.
    There have been some domoths where I have felt that way because a lot happened in stage 2 and so stage 3 served to unwind, but a) I'd say about 60% of domoths go uncontested these days and only a small subset of that 40% are epic fights and b) if you give players a choice and they want to do something relaxing then they can do do something relaxing (like say hunt or influence). The fact that stage 3 is 20-30 minutes is not what's a big deal, it's that the first stage takes at least 4-5 minutes, the second stage takes an hour minimum for a demigod, and then you have this stage that takes a decent chunk of time and has almost no mechanical purpose.

I definitely think the larger problem here is that most stage 2's are boring but I thought trimming stage 3 was an easier problem to fix.