Welcome to Night Vale - Mafia

Comments

• emote should have made day 1 last 48 hours instead of a week. Not enough drama on day 1. >.>
    7c95dbc25a4a9ae292cccb899a49a79b18529207e135ebccd89c0877d386ebea
    ALL HAIL THE MIGHTY GLOW CLOUD.
  • I know I am probably over thinking this, but the first thing Rosland posts is a no-lynch vote, with no other words? In an possibly OP game, something like that just seems like a power to me...

Perhaps I'm just paranoid and that is what he does (I didn't read the last game with him).
  • Ok. I'm blind. You can ignore me. I didn't see his Hello.
  • FalaeronFalaeron Jolteon
    While I am usually in favour of delaying nights as long as possible I really doubt we'll have any result other than no lynch, so in interest of moving the game to more exciting phases earlier, I'll Vote: Nobody as well.
  • Vote Count:

Nobody (2): Rolsand, Falmiis
  • Heya folks. I'm generally okay with no-lynch votes on Day One, considering we're extraordinarily unlikely to possess useful information and we're mostly likely to a) decide no lynch via time limit anyway or b) lynch at random, which is a valid tactic but one I don't really care for.

So, Vote: Nobody.
    Jadice, the Frost Queen says to you, "Constant vigilance."
  • Oh lord, I go away for Super Fun History Summer Camp and I come back to 63 new posts and four pings. Okay, let's see.

You are correct that I am not, in fact, a vanilla villager; I would have been pretty silly to respond to an unsubstantiated Troublemaker claim with correct information, considering I was the Drunk, and now have no idea what I am! Possibilities include:
     - a second Werewolf
     - the Hunter
     - a robber?

All told I am inclined to believe that chances are I'm still Town, so the coast seems to be clear.
  • please ignore the above post because it was made in the wrong thread and I am a dumb!
  • SylandraSylandra Join Queue for Mafia Games The Last Mafia Game
    Has everyone even gotten to post yet? Just checking before we hop into the night of...Night Vale.
    Daraius said:
    "Oh yeah, you're a naughty mayor, aren't you? Misfile that Form MA631-D. Comptroller Shevat's got a nice gemstone disc for you, but yer gonna have to beg for it."
    Aha knew we were missing a person. Pinging @Kiradawea.
    Daraius said:
    "Oh yeah, you're a naughty mayor, aren't you? Misfile that Form MA631-D. Comptroller Shevat's got a nice gemstone disc for you, but yer gonna have to beg for it."
  • I'm fine with no lynch, too.

Vote: Nobody
  • Vote Count:

Nobody (4): Rolsand, Falmiis, Ileein, Ellowyn
  • Sylandra said:
    Aha knew we were missing a person. Pinging @Kiradawea.
    I'm not missing. I'm just living an active life of avoiding devious Sylandras because you know they're just looking for vig excuses. I got my eye on you!

Also Ayisdra, that's just a thing Rolsand does. He acted the same way last game as well.

Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.
  • Very well then.

I suppose a somewhat related question, but more of a general mafia question - How does one go about getting anything helpful on a day 1 start, instead of just doing the standard 'Hey i'm here, lets all vote nobody and move on to the first night'?
  • LuceLuce Fox Populi
    Ayisdra said:
    Very well then.

I suppose a somewhat related question, but more of a general mafia question - How does one go about getting anything helpful on a day 1 start, instead of just doing the standard 'Hey i'm here, lets all vote nobody and move on to the first night'?
    ((Clairvoyance.))
  • Luce said:
    Ayisdra said:
    Very well then.

((Clairvoyance.))

[-(

There are a couple of things you can do. I'd suggest them, but Syl would just take that as an excuse to vig me.

... nah, she gon vig me anyway, so here goes.

The best way to weed out information is pattern analysis. Whenever you say something you reveal information. Try to pay attention to what people are saying, and what they're not saying.

To provide an example. During the Gods and Monsters mafia, we had claims of a lie detector. At that point, Yavina noticed that Falmiis was ignoring requests to state that he was not with the mafia for the lie detection power to check. Yavina used this lack of information to correctly conclude that Falmiis was hiding a scummy nature.

There's nothing that really stands out to me yet. But if we really want to not do a no-lynch on day 1 (as if), we could speculate on the game setup. I'm too tired to think of anything else right now though. It's been a long day for me. I'll try to speak more tomorrow if we haven't entered night already.
    Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.
    Pffft there is no reason yet to vig a Kira! And she's totally on the money here. Consistency is often how you tell who is a liar and who is a scumbag. (Which is why Werewolf is SO CONFUSING to me, it's the antithesis of that.)

I'm up for setup speculation but it seems most people want to jump into the night phase. Since everyone has spoken now I'm more okay with it, but I'll hold off voting since I'm in no rush yet.
    Daraius said:
  • LavinyaLavinya Queen of Snark Australia
    I always wake up to a huge flurry of posts. 

I don't really like a day one lynch on the forums, I think it's nice for everyone to have at least one night to try their powers. I don't like getting into the debates about FACTS and vote patterns and numbers and formulae and so forth because I find it confusing.

That being said though I don't see a need to be too quick to get to night.

• I think Sylandra is being sneaky and speaking in some archaic verse. Lynch her I say!
    :C
    Daraius said:
  • Welp, I've listened to several of the episodes now, so I'm feeling pretty comfortable with the theme. They're entertaining and I highly recommend listening to a few. It's a clever and quirky little concept, this Night Vale thing.
  • Cen said:
    Welp, I've listened to several of the episodes now, so I'm feeling pretty comfortable with the theme. They're entertaining and I highly recommend listening to a few. It's a clever and quirky little concept, this Night Vale thing.
    Agreed, Night Vale is really good. I find it works best in short snippets, rather than binged-- it's meant to be a twisted version of Prairie Home Companion, basically, so half the fun is following the fictitious goings-on in Lake Woebegone/Night Vale across time.
  • UshaaraUshaara Schrödinger's Traitor

Ayisdra said:
    Very well then.

While everyone is typically very cautious on Day 1, and some people are just naturally reticent anyway, I think another thing to keep in mind is looking at how willing people are to talk, (which also leads into 'Lynch the quiet/non-contributing people' being a valid strategy). 

Day 1 has the least amount of information in play for everyone, -including- mafia, since they don't know what information the town starts with. As Ieptix proved in Silvanus' Los Alamos game, guessing the right motivations in play for the potential roles can make it extremely difficult for mafia to maneuver/claim as the game progresses. There may also be information common to town role sheets, that mafia/third party don't have, as in Sylandra's Reign game. Though that can be harder to pick up on/isn't present in every game.

So while it's in no way conclusive, from my point of view, the more freely you contribute with little to no information in play, it suggests 'towniness' to me, since more information may be revealed later that either confirms/contradicts what you said earlier.

So if people aren't ready for a Night phase just yet, things we could try get some discussion on is whether we think Ssaliss' suggestion for StrexCorp/Smiling God being the mafia is a goer? Or are we fighting City Hall? Or if the chanting/dark figures in the opening game post are important or just Night Vale flavour?

I'm only three episodes in, so haven't yet gotten fully familiar with roles/factions which may be in play, but Ssaliss' assumption is a good initial working theory for me!

Obvious disclaimer: talking brings attention, making you potential target for both town/mafia.

• I dunno much about potential baddies, but I'm really hoping one of them is the Glow Cloud and he kills people by dropping a lion corpse on them from the sky.
  • I shall consider Lavinya suspicious. Only scum would argue against facts and go with feelings instead!

Or maybe mayor. Politicians ignore facts even more than scum does. Hrrrrrrmmmmmm.

But in all seriousness, talking is good. Even if there's no apparent use, forum mafia has the advantage that we can always go back and look at what people have said before. If Ieptix ends up crushed by a lion tomorrow, we can look back and see what Ieptix has said today to determine why he was picked to be offed by scum.

I should sleep more. I come here with tons of ideas for what we can do, but I'm just too sleepy to formulate myself properly. Sorry.
  • Ushaara said:

Ayisdra said:
    Very well then.

While everyone is typically very cautious on Day 1, and some people are just naturally reticent anyway, I think another thing to keep in mind is looking at how willing people are to talk, (which also leads into 'Lynch the quiet/non-contributing people' being a valid strategy). 

Day 1 has the least amount of information in play for everyone, -including- mafia, since they don't know what information the town starts with. As Ieptix proved in Silvanus' Los Alamos game, guessing the right motivations in play for the potential roles can make it extremely difficult for mafia to maneuver/claim as the game progresses. There may also be information common to town role sheets, that mafia/third party don't have, as in Sylandra's Reign game. Though that can be harder to pick up on/isn't present in every game.

So while it's in no way conclusive, from my point of view, the more freely you contribute with little to no information in play, it suggests 'towniness' to me, since more information may be revealed later that either confirms/contradicts what you said earlier.

So if people aren't ready for a Night phase just yet, things we could try get some discussion on is whether we think Ssaliss' suggestion for StrexCorp/Smiling God being the mafia is a goer? Or are we fighting City Hall? Or if the chanting/dark figures in the opening game post are important or just Night Vale flavour?

I'm only three episodes in, so haven't yet gotten fully familiar with roles/factions which may be in play, but Ssaliss' assumption is a good initial working theory for me!

Obvious disclaimer: talking brings attention, making you potential target for both town/mafia.

Being quiet doesn't really deserve a lynch.
    Actually being quiet is a very successful scum strategy sometimes! The Reign game was a good example of that. I'm fond of "lynch all lurkers" because it encourages participation from everyone and no one can just slip under the radar. Talking helps town no matter what, if only because it gives more information. After all, a chatty mafia is a mafia more likely to be caught in a lie.
    Daraius said:
  • Buts it kinda like saying lets lynch that person that person we have no evidence on.
  • Errrrr cut that last person
    Or look at it this way: we gain information from someone who is withholding information. A non responsive player is sometimes more useful via their dead reveal than they are actively playing without offering feedback.
    Daraius said: