I was so closeeee

edited June 2016 in Common Grounds
I'm currently do this quest which requires me to find five items which are hidden under a bunch of furniture; the real problem I'm having right now is that I can only find two of the five items and my hound can't find them.Idk if it's a bug or the quest is trying to screw me over but even if the items are there my hound should be able track them no matter what. And aside from combat how else can my hound help me? Im kinda saying that tracker's hounds are just scrubs when it comes to certain situations and it sucks how they are meant for certain job they can't do.

Comments

• EveriineEveriine Wise Old Swordsbird / Brontaur Indianapolis, IN, USA
    No, your bond will not be able to find many items, at least that's been my experience. I think that's intentional.

Sometimes you have to get really creative with your searching. It sometimes gets to the point where I LOOK at every noun in a room's long description, just to find where the hiding places are.
    Everiine is a man, and is very manly. This MAN before you is so manly you might as well just gender bend right now, cause he's the manliest man that you ever did see. His manly shape has spurned many women and girlyer men to boughs of fainting. He stands before you in a manly manerific typical man-like outfit which is covered in his manly motto: "I am a man!"

Daraius said: You gotta risk it for the biscuit.

Pony power all the way, yo. The more Brontaurs the better.
  • edited June 2016
    Type SECRETS a lot. It will help for hidden rooms (uncertain for hidden items).
  • Also, remember to push/pull/etc. stuff in the room. Not all things are in containers.
  • Hounds are actually pretty strong for combat. A passive writhe affliction is the wet dream of many a combatant.

Finding items for quests is always a pain. You'll need to actually spend time reading all the rooms and puzzling over a quest if you're not getting any help, and even then, there are cases where it's so unintuitive that you can't find it even after combing through every word. Sometimes, it's just bad design, but sometimes, it's actually because the quest release event was more guided with the admin using mobs to point people in the right direction or give extra hints that no longer exist now that the event is over. Ask around for help with a quest, ICly. There will be people who know who can help make it fun with hints (or they may just give you the answer, of course) but it's not illegal to ask for help - as long as it is IC.

It's a social game, after all.

• Rolsand said:
    I'm currently do this quest which requires me to find five items which are hidden under a bunch of furniture; the real problem I'm having right now is that I can only find two of the five items and my hound can't find them.Idk if it's a bug or the quest is trying to screw me over but even if the items are there my hound should be able track them no matter what. And aside from combat how else can my hound help me? Im kinda saying that tracker's hounds are just scrubs when it comes to certain situations and it sucks how they are meant for certain job they can't do.
    Which quest?

(PM me if you prefer.)

I'm familiar with lots of them and can maybe give some more specific pointers.
    Flames erupt from the caldera below as a distorted voice echoes, "Their spirit must be broken if they wish to be reborn as true warriors."
  • edited June 2016
    For the specific quest I know you're on => 

Also, if you find item X in room Y by pushing Z, when it resets, it resets in the same spot. ;) Making it easier to recover the quest items. So just write it down where you found what and how. 
    Zarialle's first dance:
    Trader Bob leads Zarialle through the dancers to the dance floor and brings her all the way to its heart.
  • edited June 2016
    Probe, Touch, turn, pull and push every single item listed in the room descript. Often the piece of furniture/doodad that has to be prodded to produce the quest item will be written up as a special mention.

e.g standing here with is a particularly eye-catching statue with an arm held out.

(paraphrased from the delport village quest)

I probed the statue but I missed the arm and had to resort to the quest guide.

Pull, push, turn and touch every single noun in every room. Any item that falls out of the furniture in question needs to be probed too. sometimes they hold quest items within them.
  • XenthosXenthos Shadow Lord
    Don't forget to "use" as well.  Some of them are used.  Also, open is good!