Trades and spelling

Since I started playing this game I've tried to figure out why British spelling is required on all designs, rather than just accepting both. Can anyone explain this or is it just a 'because I said so' kind of thing?

Comments

• Because it is the correct way <.<

My guess is that at some point they decided that they would rather have everything be consistent and chose British English rather than American English.
  • EnyalidaEnyalida Nasty Woman, Sockpuppeteer to the Gods
    It's traditionally the choice for 'international' english. 
  • I'm going to nitpick and say there's no one true way to spell in English. It's a hodgepodge of words from other languages structured like a Germanic language. But British English is, as @Enyalida phrased it, the more widely-used variation (sort of like the metric system in measurements), and consistency is nice. :)
    See you in Sapience.
  • Twytch said:
    I'm going to nitpick and say there's no one true way to spell in English. It's a hodgepodge of words from other languages structured like a Germanic language. But British English is, as @Enyalida phrased it, the more widely-used variation (sort of like the metric system in measurements), and consistency is nice. :)
    Heathen. 

Avurekhos says, "Dylara's a PvP menace in my eyes, totes rekting face."

The eye of Dylara materialises in your hands and flings itself around your neck, tightening incomprehensibly until it is irremovable.
    Perfectly clean, this eyeball has been wrenched from the socket of Dylara. It has been animated by some unusual force, constantly looking around itself as if in shock or fear. It is bathed in a light covering of white flames that roll endlessly over its surface. A single chain of empyreal metal pierces either side of the eye, allowing it to be worn around the neck.

• edited June 2016
    Dylara said:
    Twytch said:
    I'm going to nitpick and say there's no one true way to spell in English. It's a hodgepodge of words from other languages structured like a Germanic language. But British English is, as @Enyalida phrased it, the more widely-used variation (sort of like the metric system in measurements), and consistency is nice. :)
    Heathen. 

Or, as the Dutch say, heiden/i>.
    See you in Sapience.
  • LuceLuce Fox Populi
    No, no, he's retired.
  • I've acclimated and become lazy, and often use american spelling in in-game interactions. The only time any complaints are made is when you submit designs, so it generally isn't an issue.
  • It definitely seems really inconsistent throughout the game, only in crafting do I see british spelling and I have never seen it enforced for crafting like it is here in other games
    Not entirely opposed to it, just trying to re-program my head to wrap around spelling in a way I have never -had- to write in my entire life.
  • Thanks for all the responses, and I think I found the Brit -peer @Dylara- It's just been a mild irritant really, having to resubmit because of one letter here or there, when it's actually spelled correctly, and when I come from another IRE where both are accepted (or were. I've not crafted there since they changed it to be like Lusternia's approval process). It's not that big of an issue, I've just wondered for some time about it, and mandatory 'MURICA to you, Dylara :)
  • @Sylandra This is very useful. Thank you!

• Is there a way to make various text editors spellcheck in britenglish over americanglish? I know when im writing a book it takes twice as long since i have to go back and add in 'u's all over.
  • LuceLuce Fox Populi
    http://www.spellcheck.co.uk/

Lifesaver, that. You can also set Google to British English for gdocs, but I feel like that's not as reliable.
  • Avae said:
    Thanks for all the responses, and I think I found the Brit -peer @Dylara- It's just been a mild irritant really, having to resubmit because of one letter here or there, when it's actually spelled correctly, and when I come from another IRE where both are accepted (or were. I've not crafted there since they changed it to be like Lusternia's approval process). It's not that big of an issue, I've just wondered for some time about it, and mandatory 'MURICA to you, Dylara :)
    The hilarious thing is that I am actually not British, I'm Canadian.  ;))

British Spellings are the common spelling for most people in Canada when using the English language, however I have been marked down on papers for using it by American professors or professors that lived really close to the American border. I of course contested the mark down, but eh. 

Avurekhos says, "Dylara's a PvP menace in my eyes, totes rekting face."

The eye of Dylara materialises in your hands and flings itself around your neck, tightening incomprehensibly until it is irremovable.
    Perfectly clean, this eyeball has been wrenched from the socket of Dylara. It has been animated by some unusual force, constantly looking around itself as if in shock or fear. It is bathed in a light covering of white flames that roll endlessly over its surface. A single chain of empyreal metal pierces either side of the eye, allowing it to be worn around the neck.

• All IRE games, sans Midkemia Online, has used British spelling since conception. No idea why that is. @Estarra or @Sarapis would probably have to answer that one.

Midkemia uses American spelling, because their source material for their lore is based on an American book.
  • Thats an interesting bit of trivia
  • A few people seemed unaware of this when I mentioned it on a clan, so adding in some other early MUD info: back in the day (I played my first MUD in early 90s and it was still a thing then), we all used telnet. Talk about dark ages :P
  • I used telnet semi-regularly in early Aetolia days because the computers at the net cafe I used frequently would not allow installation of a client.
  • Ditto.

I'm old enough (sadly) that my recollections predate even the world wide web as we know it today. Damn I suddenly feel old and wrinkly.
    email: martin@pharanyx.net
    Discord: Pharanyx#4357
  • edited April 2017
    Haha yeah I remember doing book reports using gopher (my dad was at DARPA) before www was dominant. My teachers would be like "Ok, that's very creative, sweetie, but your home computer can't talk to one in a university on the other side of the US."

Oh, sweet summer children...
  • edited April 2017
    ok. now i am confused. Whats british & whats american.
  • ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    Ordassa said:
    British means that it's from Britain. American means its from 'Murica. 
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • edited May 2017
    Shaddus said:
    Ordassa said:
    British means that it's from Britain. American means its from 'Murica. 
    errr ...I meant spelling & grammar. i learned the former. the net & hollywood have turned my grammar sense into a jumbled mess of 'Murican inspired grammar seasoned with quaint british-isms. I dont know whats up or down anyone! or favor from favour!
  • EnyalidaEnyalida Nasty Woman, Sockpuppeteer to the Gods
    When in doubt, use 'u's. And also s instead of z. That's mostly it. 
  • Also, they are trousers. Not pants.
  • edited May 2017
    Americans and Brits both speak English, Americans just speak it louder and with more freedom. 
    Known Aliases: Celina/Cyndarin/Fire Jesus/The Night/That Bitch who griefed us