Letters of Note

TacitaTacita <3s Xynthin 4eva!!!11
There is an awesome blog called Letters of Note which digs out bits of correspondence from the past, sometimes very distant and sometimes not so, and posts it so that people can gain insight into the author/recipient. It's really interesting.

I have a love-hate relationship with letters in Lusternia. They are a pain to put together and preserving ones you want to keep is really hard now (I still lament losing the one where Druken acknowledged Tacita as his daughter) but I'm always excited to receive them, especially if they're for a purpose other than just sending items!

So, this is a thread (because you know, I haven't created enough RP related threads ever - I may be addicted) where you can post letters. Context or no context, funny or angsty, official or casual, whatever you wish. Go for it.

And because it would be rude of me not to, here's one to start things off. I never got a reply to this letter. I also sent it unsigned.

----

I am disappointed in you.

I understand, of course, the need to return
the need to be home and whole
                but still
     I am disappointed.

With us, you were -
          could have been
   so much more.

And perhaps this is your rebirth
your glory at Mahalla's side
         but it is hard to see it that way.
I am disappointed in you.

Comments

• ZyphoraZyphora :: the sun in her splendour ::
    edited April 2013

You read what is written on a silvery letter scented with wind wisps: My dear Zyphora, I confess, I am overwhelmed by the gift of the beautiful bracelet that you sent in response to my simple offering of ice cream. It is marvellous and quite took my breath away when I first lifted it from the letter and held its sparkling gemstones to the light. I thank you deeply for this token of your friendship, hardly humble and all the more exquisite and precious because of its generous and gentle giver. Though we may be separated by the clouds and the very earth, you shall always be close to my heart, and the feel of the bracelet on my wrist makes me feel that you are near, at least in spirit. However, I could hardly accept such a lovely gift without returning another gift in kind, considering the bracelet utterly dwarfs the initial gift of ice cream. Thus, I have enclosed a gift of my own to you that, I hope, will please your artistic eye and complement your innate warmth and radiance when worn. Until the next time we meet, I remain Your dear friend, Irillia

• UshaaraUshaara Schrödinger's Traitor
    Haha. No letter to contribute, but the tags are great!
  • A rhombic hexecontahedral origami star unfolds and sings to you, "May you be well, dear pup, and your efforts fruitful."
    A rhombic hexecontahedral origami star flutters apart in wisps of vellum and disappears from your hands.

Not exactly a letter, but I've always adored Daraius' singing origami messages. This topic definitely makes me wish I had saved more of the letters I've received from people. I love writing and receiving letters, but I too wish they were as easy to preserve as they used to be and that they weren't so easy to lose track of if you accumulate a lot of them.
    Avatar created by the amazing Feyrll.
  • Just want to chime in to say that I love reading this thread. Though it seems like something more appropriate for characters that are dead, or at least gone forever, maybe. So I don't have any I'm comfortable sharing.

All those letters are gone. Decayed years ago. :(

Permapreserve letters, please. Even if it's expensive.

Mayor Steingrim, the Grand Schema says to you, "Well, as I recall you kinda leave a mark whereever you go."
  • On a little alt I have

Dear young adventurer,

I found these as I was walking past centre of the Necropolis recently and it

seems they belong to you. You should be more careful with what you're holding!

If you die or quit with certain things simply held in your hands (such as herbs

or gold), you may drop them. You should always INRIFT your herbs and commodities

and store gold in a pack. Once you reach level 21 or higher, people such as I

will not return anything you drop when you die or leave the realms. They will be

lost to you forever, so be careful from now on!

Kind regards,

A conscientious traveller.

I know that it was Silvanus

• XenthosXenthos Shadow Lord
    Uh, are you sure it was Silvanus?  There's a new changelog that says the Fates will automatically mail things back to newbies who QQ and drop things.

• Xenthos said:
    Uh, are you sure it was Silvanus?  There's a new changelog that says the Fates will automatically mail things back to newbies who QQ and drop things.
    ha! I need to read those changelogs more often.

• SilvanusSilvanus The Sparrowhawk
    Xenthos said:
    Hey! Quit raining on my parade! Someone is saying good and nice things about me, and you are here to shoot them down! I have a reputation to protect.
    2014/04/19 01:38:01 - Leolamins drained 2000000 power to raise Silvanus as a Vernal Ascendant.
    2014/07/23 05:01:29 - Silvanus drained 2000000 power to raise Munsia as a Vernal Ascendant.
    2015/05/24 06:03:07 - Silvanus drained 2000000 power to raise Arimisia as a Vernal Ascendant.
    2015/05/24 06:03:58 - Silvanus drained 2000000 power to raise Lavinya as a Vernal Ascendant.
  • EnyalidaEnyalida Nasty Woman, Sockpuppeteer to the Gods
    I have an old love letter written to my character saved somewhere, the writer suicided, very sad!
  • SilvanusSilvanus The Sparrowhawk
    I have a love letter/thanking me letter from Lavinya! (Funny story, its nearly decayed, and for some reason was put up for sale in my shop, and Luthian ended up buying it. Came really close to decaying)

You read what is written on an ivory letter embossed with a golden Ouroboros:
    Dearest Silvanus,

Yours is a thankless job, but I wanted to make sure you know that you
    are doing an excellent job. You inspire even the laziest among us to
    action, and have worked hard to reward achievement. You have renewed our
    direction, and have lead us every step of the way, not just with words
    but by example. You are a fine, strong leader, and a mighty warrior. I
    am always honoured to call myself your wife. Know that no matter what
    steps you take, I will be here to support you. Even when I disagree with
    you and you with me, my devotion is unwavering and absolute. You still
    make my pulse quicken and put a skip in my step with your very presence,
    even after all this time.

Always in love,
    Lavinya
    2014/04/19 01:38:01 - Leolamins drained 2000000 power to raise Silvanus as a Vernal Ascendant.
    2014/07/23 05:01:29 - Silvanus drained 2000000 power to raise Munsia as a Vernal Ascendant.
    2015/05/24 06:03:07 - Silvanus drained 2000000 power to raise Arimisia as a Vernal Ascendant.
    2015/05/24 06:03:58 - Silvanus drained 2000000 power to raise Lavinya as a Vernal Ascendant.
  • Silvanus said:
    Xenthos said:
    Hey! Quit raining on my parade! Someone is saying good and nice things about me, and you are here to shoot them down! I have a reputation to protect.
    OK I'm confused now. Did Silvanus sent the letter or not?

• ZyphoraZyphora :: the sun in her splendour ::
     A rhombic hexecontahedral origami star unfolds and sings to you, "I quite enjoyed your orange-blossom and pomegranate tea. I hope you will continue in your culinary endeavors, as the initial results are exceedingly promising. May you be well, and your efforts fruitful. ~ D.S." A warm tulip of dawn falls out of a rhombic hexecontahedral origami star and into your hands. A rhombic hexecontahedral origami star flutters apart in wisps of vellum as the last of its contents spill into your hands.

• CyndarinCyndarin used Flamethrower! It was super effective.
    I wish I had the one I left for Tacita .
  • TacitaTacita <3s Xynthin 4eva!!!11
    I wish we had the one you left for me. It was brilliant.

I'm finding that 90% of mine (or at least the ones I have saved) are poems. I'm also not sure if the formatting on this one will stay.

--

I loved him long before I left you.
                 It was never the reason I did.

I could give you explanations,
       rather than facts,
                but I don't think they'd be of 
      much use.

It is a fact that I'm sorry,
            not for what I've done,
       but for how things have happened
           and that they had to happen at all.

It is a fact
    that I did not stop loving you
       that I doubt I ever will
    but that I have broken everything.

Hate me if you need to,
    I suppose hate him, even though it's
      not his fault and nothing to do with him.
        But hate us, if you want to,
       if it helps.
    I'll still love you anyway.

• LavinyaLavinya Queen of Snark Australia
    Lavinya loves getting (and sending) mail. I really wish I'd saved some of mine!

• TacitaTacita <3s Xynthin 4eva!!!11
    I mostly only have ones that I've sent where I've written them in notepad and saved them first. However, I did find the following my logs; a letter flamed around Glomdoring during the event mentioned. I particularly enjoy the 'Signed, Anonymous' part of this.

--

You read what is written on a theatrical letter of ivory and gold:
    ---------------------------
    Lord Xynthin, Wyrdens Glory
    ---------------------------
    Citizens of Glomdoring! I am one who has a deepset wish to bring Lord
    Xynthin into the Glomdoring and accepted as one who serves and wishes to
    spread the Wyrd throughout the Basin of life and allow nothing to oppose
    it! It is a reality in which he has promised to bring to fruition and a
    promise I fully intend to see fulfilled and followed by the Wyrd's
    servants. As such I present my argument for his cause.

Lord Xynthin came to us veiled, having been pulled from the Wheel of
    Goloth by Mother Night herself. Further to this, he defended the
    Glomdoring in her time of need against the Time Dame Stepasha, and
    restored Krangar back into his own self, and out of the control of the
    dame. He later unveiled himself to us, and it would appear the populace
    went from full support to one of indecision or direct opposition. Some
    seeking to ask Mother Night herself, as well as seeking out the pantheon
    of Glomdoring. But behold all are silent on the matter.

Mother Night brought him to us, the Wyrd sacrificed itself in him in his
    world, to bring him to us so that we might prevail, this is what Mother
    Night had seen when she went to that Wheel to drag him forth, answering
    his call, and he hers. Reader, it is time to ask, why would Mother Night
    have brought him forth if he is a threat? If he does not have the Wyrd's
    best interest. Why would Lord Nocht, Lord Shikari and Lady Viravain do
    or say nothing if he is a threat or dangerous to us, to the Wyrd? Alas
    they would not.

In conclusion, accept and embrace Lord Xynthin. Nothing matters but
    Glomdoring!
    Our day is upon us.
    Signed
    Anonymous.
  • My only letters are guild entry statements and herb orders/keg recipes.

:(

"He was well fed, and on his way to being slightly intoxicated--which contributed to his sense of wellbeing. And, most important, he was among friends. There can't be much more to life than this, he thought."  -Pug's thoughts on his first Ale (via Raymond Feist)

Visit my personal authorial website. (coming back up soon, with my first publications)
    Coding Resources: Mechanic's Corner | Code Academy | StackOverflow
  • EveriineEveriine Wise Old Swordsbird / Brontaur Indianapolis, IN, USA
    I had a few good letters at one time, but they've long since decayed.
    Everiine is a man, and is very manly. This MAN before you is so manly you might as well just gender bend right now, cause he's the manliest man that you ever did see. His manly shape has spurned many women and girlyer men to boughs of fainting. He stands before you in a manly manerific typical man-like outfit which is covered in his manly motto: "I am a man!"

Daraius said: You gotta risk it for the biscuit.

Pony power all the way, yo. The more Brontaurs the better.
  • Ushaara said:
    At the time I was hoping to rp out a proper trial too, but the person went inactive before it could happen.

I would love to see an IC trial!

Also: I had a letter from my time as an Aquamancer in Celest, which was found littered all over the city, trying to convince people to walk in the shawdowed path of Glomdoring or something similar, I wish I had saved it.
  • EritheylEritheyl ** Trigger Warning **
    I don't think I've ever received a cool letter.
    Crumkane, Lord of Epicurean Delights says, "WAS IT INDEED ON FIRE, ERITHEYL."

-

With a deep reverb, Contemptible Sutekh says, "CEASE YOUR INFERNAL ENERGY, ERITHEYL."
  • ElanorwenElanorwen The White Falconess
    I once got a pretty nice letter from Astraea... but it got lost somewhere along the way, so eh...

Forgiveness is the fragrance that the violet sheds on the heel that has crushed it.
  • CyndarinCyndarin used Flamethrower! It was super effective.
    I don't get cool letters either. My last one was a novel on my grammatical errors and typos.
  • RancouraRancoura the Last Nightwreathed Queen Canada
    When I bought my personal shop in Glomdoring, I found a slew of preserved letters that had been left behind by the previous owner. I'm not sure why some of them were preserved, as some were short and simple trade orders, but a few were very, very interesting... such as one that detailed a list of conditions that Narsrim would have had to meet if he ever had any hope of joining Glomdoring (which to my knowledge never happened). I'm not going to share the letter here, being an old-school secretive Glomdorian and such, but it's definitely one of the most interesting letters I've ever seen, even if it wasn't addressed to me, is by now centuries old and even might have been before my time.

Tonight amidst the mountaintops
    And endless starless night
    Singing how the wind was lost
    Before an earthly flight

edited April 2013
    I will share this one, however, as it inflicts a severe case of nostalgia in me and fondly reminds me of a time when I tried to revive Glomdorian roleplay when it was slipping away before it did so:

My Queen,

When last we spoke, you asked that I wander the forest when the Night
    was darkest, and look past the sites and sounds, the every day and
    mundane manifestation of the Glomdoring. I wandered the forest for many
    hours and pondered your words.
    I spent the hours surrounding midnight contemplating many things. I
    listened, and then I went beyond listening. I watched, then went beyond
    watching. Attempting to see that which lies behind the scenes.

I have come to the conclusion that everything is interconnected. And
    while this is in large part obvious, it is a much deeper interconnection
    than I had originally surmised. Mother Night infuses all that she
    touches, as does the Wyrd. The touch of Lord Nocht too did I see upon
    all which I surveyed. Sometimes in subtle ways, but always present.
    Involved in everything, though Silent, as is His want.

I discovered that this woven web of influences left me feeling secure.
    At peace, if you will. I wish to delve deeper, my Queen, and I would ask
    that you continue to guide me in these matters.

Forever in service to Mother Night, Lord Nocht, and the Glomdoring
    I remain sincerely yours,
    [person]

Before an earthly flight

• XenthosXenthos Shadow Lord
    Rancoura said:
    When I bought my personal shop in Glomdoring, I found a slew of preserved letters that had been left behind by the previous owner. I'm not sure why some of them were preserved, as some were short and simple trade orders, but a few were very, very interesting... such as one that detailed a list of conditions that Narsrim would have had to meet if he ever had any hope of joining Glomdoring (which to my knowledge never happened). I'm not going to share the letter here, being an old-school secretive Glomdorian and such, but it's definitely one of the most interesting letters I've ever seen, even if it wasn't addressed to me, is by now centuries old and even might have been before my time.
    He did manage to join once, over my strenuous objections.

There was a list of conditions that he failed to meet, so exactly 30 days later I had the distinct pleasure of typing "ostracize Narsrim" and then pressing enter to commit the command.
    edited April 2013
    Xenthos said:
    Rancoura said:
    He did manage to join once, over my strenuous objections.

There was a list of conditions that he failed to meet, so exactly 30 days later I had the distinct pleasure of typing "ostracize Narsrim" and then pressing enter to commit the command.

=D>

When was that? I'm curious to know if it actually was before my time or if I was just an ignorant little Shadowbound/Penumbra at the time.

Before an earthly flight