Quick Combat Questions

Since I have a plethora of these, I figured I'd just start a thread.  Similar to "Simple questions?", only combat-specific!

Anyone have any tips on parry strategies?  It's wayyyyyy different here than achaea!

Comments

• Warriors have been changed up recently as well, so generally speaking, no one's really sure what's the best case scenario. The system here also allows customisation in the sense of weights, which can be both good and bad.

Personally, I think it's more effective to just make sure you keep your parry 100% on one bodypart at once. Not worth the risk of having the lowered chance of activation to cover more than one bodypart.

The next question is which bodypart is most important. The long answer is that there's no answer yet, due to the recent warrior changes, no one knows etc. The short answer is, probably legs and head, as per the usual. Do look out for chest/gut, though, they are no longer just throwaway bodyparts. Some of the warrior classes ramp up very brutally on the chest/torso wounds.

I guess, the real answer is that it depends on what warrior you're fighting. Each one has their main target bodypart, and as long as you parry that one, you'll likely make things difficult for them.

• SynkarinSynkarin Nothing to see here
    Yeah, Lerad has the right of it, 100% parry, and as to bodypart, you're going to have to see what they're going for.

That is one of the perks of the new warrior mechanics. You can't simply get by with a generic stance/parry strat anymore.

Everiine said:
    "'Cause the fighting don't stop till I walk in."
    -Synkarin's Lament.
  • Thanks!  Do mutilated limbs grow back as a break?
    No

Everiine said:
    -Synkarin's Lament.
  • Is there a balance/equilibrium recovery time on beast trample, or does it simply use beast balance?
  • It uses normal balance as well, I believe.

• SilvanusSilvanus The Sparrowhawk
    It does use normal balance, and it is a longer balance (think like 4-6 seconds)
    2014/04/19 01:38:01 - Leolamins drained 2000000 power to raise Silvanus as a Vernal Ascendant.
    2014/07/23 05:01:29 - Silvanus drained 2000000 power to raise Munsia as a Vernal Ascendant.
    2015/05/24 06:03:07 - Silvanus drained 2000000 power to raise Arimisia as a Vernal Ascendant.
    2015/05/24 06:03:58 - Silvanus drained 2000000 power to raise Lavinya as a Vernal Ascendant.
  • I'm trying to get a better understanding of how restorative ice afflictions work, specifically mutilated limbs. Some folks are staying mutilated for upwards of 25 seconds. There's no way that's intended. How exactly are they cured? HELP DEEPWOUNDS mentions that cures are longer when the limb is more damaged. Does this mean there is a delay between the time applying restorative ice and the affliction being cured, or is the balance for restorative ice longer?
    Nobody should be having mutilated limbs for over 25 seconds. If they are, it's more than likely a priority issue rather than an actual mechanic. Meaning they are choosing to cure wounds over mutilated limbs.

Everiine said:
    -Synkarin's Lament.
  • Synkarin said:
    Nobody should be having mutilated limbs for over 25 seconds. If they are, it's more than likely a priority issue rather than an actual mechanic. Meaning they are choosing to cure wounds over mutilated limbs.
    That was my assumption.
  • There is a delay (not longer balance, but a cure delay) to curing ice afflictions (I think) that scales with how wounded the bodypart the affliction is on. Mutilated limbs are automatically at the max delay (4s) regardless of wound level (though usually you won't be able to give mutilated limbs at less than heavy/critical anyway). I believe they don't go any higher than that, though I might be mistaken.

• edited June 2016
    When restorative ice is applied to a body part to cure an affliction, does it also cure wounds?
    No, it will cure an affliction or wounds.

When burns gets moved over to ice, each application may cure some burns though.

Everiine said:
    -Synkarin's Lament.
  • Synkarin said:
    No, it will cure an affliction or wounds.

When burns gets moved over to ice, each application may cure some burns though.
    This is great. Thank you!
  • AeldraAeldra , using cake powered flight
    In the healing skill tree, there's a skill called 'quicken'. I am rather unsure as to how or why this skill exists and would be rather curious when / for what people would actually use this.
    Avatar / Picture done by the lovely Gurashi.
  • @Aeldra mostly, ranged healing
  • edited August 2016
    Hello. What should I learn to use properly or acquire to raise my defensive abilities? Sometimes I just need Xiran to live long enough to spore out or use a transport device. What are things that I should hold off on investing in until the combat overhaul's complete?

Wiccan. Currently trans Moon, trans Healing. Wicca to Mother. Currently no trade skill (used to have Herbs). Used to fancy learning Combat just to smack people with Shield Riposte but dunno if that skill may be changing in the near future.
    Edit: Have Tumble ability.

Willing to pick up a system if that's a recommendation. When I was more active, my plan was to gather triggers and hodge-podge one together to mechanically reflect how Xiran was learning from each encounter. But with the smaller population and my variable hours, I'm a bit embarrassed when kind folks go out of their way to revive her.
    Active: Monday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday EST

• EnyalidaEnyalida Nasty Woman, Sockpuppeteer to the Gods
    Use M&MF. It's pretty good, there's a forums thread about it that's up near the top of recent discussions.
  • Enyalida said:

Use M&MF. It's pretty good, there's a forums thread about it that's up near the top of recent discussions.

Oh man it's on github? Agh. This is too amazing. Thanks!
    Active: Monday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday EST

• What poison causes asthma? Help files and other players say chansu, but when I hit myself with it I get anorexia.
  • No poisons can cause asthma anymore. Chansu was changed to anorexia.
  • Ah, thank you!
  • How to people translate scent locations into finding people? Is there a mapping package floating around, or do people just rely on their knowledge of the main combat areas?  
  • Mrak said:
    How to people translate scent locations into finding people? Is there a mapping package floating around, or do people just rely on their knowledge of the main combat areas?  
    http://m-mf.github.io/m-mf/peopletracker.html

can set up an alias/trigger to scent and auto walk to someone.
  • ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    If you've got the mapper installed and it's working to show people on scent as a clickable link, you can also use GOTOP by itself to speedwalk to whoever you have set as your "target" variable, or GOTOP <person> to walk to that person instead.
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
    How would one usually deal with chasm and deathsong respectively? Looking back at wildnodes those two got me most and I have no real idea how to escape either ( Well given, a large part of this is probably all the stun spam ). Also there's supposedly something that a bard can do to hinder you from fleeing. How would deal about those? Thanks!
  • Generally speaking, timed instantkills are very valuable in group fights because the person doing the channeling can depend on his team mates to keep his target unable to move. In a group situation, you have to cross your fingers and hope that your teammates save you instead.

Of course, learning how to interrupt timed instant kills helps so that when you see the rare chance to get away, you are in the right state of mind to grab it and get away. It also helps you to react to your ally being the target by doing things that can interrupt the enemy using the instant kill.

Most timed instant kills are channels, which means to say, if the user enters any command, the kill is canceled. This means they can't cure. The most universal way (and possibly amongst the hardest) is to kill the person before the timer finishes. If that is not possible, most timed instant kills have an interrupt coded into them, that will ensure the instantkill fails. For chasm, blindness is one such interrupt - if the chasmer is blind when the chasm ends, the chasm fails. Blindness and paralysis are interrupts that work on many instant kills, but not all. For deathsong, the target being deaf is also an interrupt. Naturally, there are a number more interrupts, and different kills have different conditions.

Perfectfifth is the bard's anti-run ability, which is arguably the strongest such ability in the game, blocking literally all voluntary movements - including tumble. It costs power and requires target to be undeaf, though, and it drops once the target successfully moves away from the bard's presence. This means there are a number of ways to counter it normally - one of which is to not keep yourself deaf. When you are not deaf, and the bard blanknotes you, you won't be ear-ached. That means, at any point in time, you can eat earwort to become deaf and immediately walk out with no delay. The downside is, naturally, you are subject to the enemy bard's passive song effects all the time. Perfectfifth also cannot guard against involuntary movement, which means, if someone gusts you successfully, perfectfifth will be broken regardless of whether you're deaf or not. Similarly, if the bard is gusted, the same thing happens. Bards usually invest in ways to stop gust, though, like icewalls. In which case it can be fairly difficult to escape unless you have an ally who knows what to do, and quickly.

Thank you :-) That means without having a way to paralyse or blind others, I am basically relying on being able to run and calling for someone to quickly rescue me. ( I am not aware of any of my abilities to blind or paralyse). Does stun work to stop those instas?
  • edited October 2016
    Stun is usually not reliable, since most stuns don't last long, and you need the affliction to be on the target when one of the "warning" messages, or the final, killing message appears. This means if you stun the channeling person in the middle of their channel, and the stun wears off before the timer finishes, you'll still get killed. None of the interrupting affs stop the instantkill upon being afflicted. That also means, if the channeler has a healer to remove interrupting affs from them, they can also continue with the instantkill without needing to break channel.

But on theory, yes, stun should stop instantkills - though I'm not sure if it's actually coded into the game, given how rarely such a situation would occur.

Both paralysis and blindness are available as poisons. Which is technically available to everybody via envenom (anyone can wield a weapon and swing it, even if they don't have knighthood) but of course, beast poison is likely the most reliable way to give poisons that is available to everyone who doesn't have more reliable ways to do so.

• MaligornMaligorn Windborne
    edited October 2016
    Because both of those affs can be cured in the interim (either by passive curing or by a really conscientious ally) it's better for you (or one of your own allies) to gust the insta-killer out if you cannot escape yourself.

Gusting once will hit summon resistance occasionally, but double gusting is something that should 100% of the time work unless there's a wall of some sort in the direction you're gusting (because it bypasses summon resistance if you gust them twice in a small window of time (also, gusting should be a physical movement with both gusts, bypassing bonds too)). Double gusting is achieved via beastmastery and your own enchant or spell. Pacifism or lovers is a way to stop instakills as well, and can be achieved with hexes. Putting the instakiller to sleep in some way is excellent at stopping instakills, because that's something that's not readily cured unless metawake AND it sprawls the enemy (which will stop a lot, but not all).