Steam Summer Sale 2016

DaraiusDaraius ShevatThe juror's taco spot
Show me your haul! Tell me how much you spent! What gems did you find? What deals should I not pass up under any circumstances?
I used to make cakes.

Estarra the Eternal says, "Give Shevat the floor please."

Comments

• So far I only have Slime Rancher, which is about 5-7 hours worth of play in its current state (it is an early access game).

There really hasn't been much that has really stuck out to me as a must-buy.
  • ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    Picked up Final Fantasy V for 8$. Nostalgic and still good.
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • DaraiusDaraius Shevat The juror's taco spot
    Man I was hoping to see more outrageous sums so I could feel better about my spending.
    I used to make cakes.

• PortiusPortius Likes big books, cannot lie
    Sims 3. Only acceptable time to get anything in the Sims is when all the packs are cheap. Works great in Linux as long as you run it in windowed mode and start it out of the executable and not through the launcher.

This is also the time to get all but the most recent things from Paradox. But I kind of feel like anyone who is going to enjoy them probably already has everything that's on sale from them.
    Any sufficiently advanced pun is indistinguishable from comedy.
  • Also do we have a thread somewhere of people's steam names so we can make new friends to play games with? :P 
    Wildeflower Aramel Strongleaf says to Xiran, "My cousin's attitude to life is rather like her attitude towards cake - to have everything, and at once, and lots of it."
  • I need Stellaris buddies. >.>

Avurekhos says, "Dylara's a PvP menace in my eyes, totes rekting face."

The eye of Dylara materialises in your hands and flings itself around your neck, tightening incomprehensibly until it is irremovable.
    Perfectly clean, this eyeball has been wrenched from the socket of Dylara. It has been animated by some unusual force, constantly looking around itself as if in shock or fear. It is bathed in a light covering of white flames that roll endlessly over its surface. A single chain of empyreal metal pierces either side of the eye, allowing it to be worn around the neck.

• I've bought Darkest Dungeon, Sunless Sea, Rex Rocket, La-Mulana, Knight's of Pen and Paper, and Void Expanse.

So about $40 so far. <_<

I got kind of fed up with Stellaris. Maybe I was just bad but it seemed like the only way to progress mid-late game was to just start conquering everybody. Also it seemed to just start lagging a lot in the late game?

Steam ID is Lehkibug because I'm creative about names
  • EveriineEveriine Wise Old Swordsbird / Brontaur Indianapolis, IN, USA
    Oh don't tell me all this... I just deposited my pay today.
    Everiine is a man, and is very manly. This MAN before you is so manly you might as well just gender bend right now, cause he's the manliest man that you ever did see. His manly shape has spurned many women and girlyer men to boughs of fainting. He stands before you in a manly manerific typical man-like outfit which is covered in his manly motto: "I am a man!"

Daraius said: You gotta risk it for the biscuit.

Pony power all the way, yo. The more Brontaurs the better.
  • TremulaTremula Banished Quasiroyal
    I picked up RWBY Grimm Eclipse and Starbound, because I am a responsible adult who must control spending habits. I love them both, however, and would recommend the former to anyone who enjoys traditional (Dynasty Warrior-esque) hack and slash games, and the latter to any fans of Terraria.
                          * * * WRACK AND ROLL AND DEATH AND PAIN * * *
                                         * * * LET'S FEEL THE FEAR OF DEATH AGAIN * * *
              * * * WE'LL KILL AND SLAUGHTER, EAT THE SLAIN * * *
      * * * IN RAVAGING WE'LL ENTERTAIN * * *

Ixion tells you, "// I don't think anyone else had a clue, amazing form."
  • edited November 2018
    -
  • Daraius said:
    Man I was hoping to see more outrageous sums so I could feel better about my spending.
    You should share your list then with us.
  • SylandraSylandra Join Queue for Mafia Games The Last Mafia Game
    Oh man I want to buy something. But I just paid for a somewhat pricy laptop repair and Zero Time Dilemma. Aaagggh. Responsibility is hard. :(
    Daraius said:
    "Oh yeah, you're a naughty mayor, aren't you? Misfile that Form MA631-D. Comptroller Shevat's got a nice gemstone disc for you, but yer gonna have to beg for it."
  • Synkarin said:
    I picked up nothing because I made a deal with my wife that I'd beat the games I already have before buying more....

your wife is missing the entire point of the steam sale :(
  • PhoebusPhoebus tu fui, ego eris. Circumstances
    Synkarin said:
    I picked up nothing because I made a deal with my wife that I'd beat the games I already have before buying more....
    I would never get to play anything ever again if I had to make this sort of deal. 
  • DaraiusDaraius Shevat The juror's taco spot
    I'm trying to pick up games that I remember being highly praised when they came out but which I'd never be terribly interested in if they weren't super cheap. I've ended up with the Stanley Parable, Deus Ex collection (three or four games of what I'm given to understand is wildly variable quality), Hotline Miami 1&2, Titan Souls, The Swapper, Grim Fandango, and Crypt of the Necrodancer for $30.
    I used to make cakes.

• PortiusPortius Likes big books, cannot lie
    edited June 2016
    I have been informed that King of Dragon Pass is both available on Steam and on sale. I've probably shilled it before, but I feel like I should do so again. It's not completely flawless, but I'd rank it in my top ten games. You visual novel people will probably love it.

EDIT: For the Linux people, you can probably get it to run. The GOG version mostly runs in Wine.
    Any sufficiently advanced pun is indistinguishable from comedy.
  • EveriineEveriine Wise Old Swordsbird / Brontaur Indianapolis, IN, USA
    Dang it...

Just bought all three Bioshocks, Mass Effect 1 and 2, The Stanley Parable, and the Vanishing of Ethan Carter.
    Everiine is a man, and is very manly. This MAN before you is so manly you might as well just gender bend right now, cause he's the manliest man that you ever did see. His manly shape has spurned many women and girlyer men to boughs of fainting. He stands before you in a manly manerific typical man-like outfit which is covered in his manly motto: "I am a man!"

Daraius said: You gotta risk it for the biscuit.

Pony power all the way, yo. The more Brontaurs the better.
  • I'm looking at the Trails in the Sky series, and Stellaris. But Stellaris is only a small discount at the moment. Not sure if worth it.  :-/

• Stellaris is a great game. I've enjoyed it. It's easy to pick up and put down and come back later. Lots of replay value.

I recommend Darkest Dungeon as well. Amazing game. Unless RNG sends you into a rage, then I suggest avoiding it.
  • Not part of the sale, but they were giving away Limbo for free just before the sale, so that's what I've been playing.  :-?

Avurekhos says, "Dylara's a PvP menace in my eyes, totes rekting face."

The eye of Dylara materialises in your hands and flings itself around your neck, tightening incomprehensibly until it is irremovable.
    Perfectly clean, this eyeball has been wrenched from the socket of Dylara. It has been animated by some unusual force, constantly looking around itself as if in shock or fear. It is bathed in a light covering of white flames that roll endlessly over its surface. A single chain of empyreal metal pierces either side of the eye, allowing it to be worn around the neck.

• LuceLuce Fox Populi
    I feel like the lack of hype and flash sales hurt things this time around. It feels less exploitative, but it also makes the deals feel less dealy.
  • TarkentonTarkenton Traitor Bear
    Offworld Trading company has been awesome. Salt and sanctuary is a 2d dark souls, very fun.
  • PhoebusPhoebus tu fui, ego eris. Circumstances
    I allowed myself one game from the sale, and I decided on Darkest Dungeon. I've heard good things and I like games with permadeath and RNG.
  • SylandraSylandra Join Queue for Mafia Games The Last Mafia Game
    Finally bought Undertale. $7! Eyeballing the Witcher trilogy, but also not sure I'll have time to play it. Also debating buying Amnesia: Dark Descent at last even though it's frankly terrifying and I'll nope out of it just like I did the last time I tried it. But it's $4 and I have a love/hate relationship with it. :-?

I noticed Outlast is $5 and it's really a great game. Terrifying but great. So terrifying I had to watch an LP tbh. You're a journalist investigating an insane asylum and in the process you get locked inside. If you're fond of Amnesia: Dark Descent you'll like this one. Similar play-style. Good scary stuff.
    Daraius said:
    "Oh yeah, you're a naughty mayor, aren't you? Misfile that Form MA631-D. Comptroller Shevat's got a nice gemstone disc for you, but yer gonna have to beg for it."