the Expedition - a Pokémon Mafia game. (GAME OVER. SYLANDRA WINS. TOWN WINS.)

Comments

• Rolsand said:
    If you guys think I don't have a Rolsand Role pre-planned from watching all these games, you severely underestimate my planning. 
       Tremula also made it abundantly clear they randomised everything. A Rolsand role could be a role designed to help us figure you out better. Also even if a specific role waa assigned to you does not mean it is sided with the expedition.
  • SynkarinSynkarin Nothing to see here
    Yeah, I think Krackenor needs to explain what he completed, Othero pretty much confirmed he was watching by outing Krackenor first. I'm thinking that pokemon are separate from their trainers, meaning that whoever sent Purrloin to block Sylandra wasn't actually there. Othero's story confirms this and it makes sense given what Sylandra has said. 

Vote: Krackenor

I'm also down to vote Rolsand out. He's never helpful and is continuing his streak.

Everiine said:
    "'Cause the fighting don't stop till I walk in."
    -Synkarin's Lament.
  • VivetVivet , of Cows and Crystals
    Oh good grief, this is getting really confusing really fast.

The more I look over my message for the closing of the night, the more uncertain I'm feeling about this visit I got. The person in question has a completely different story that makes me inclined to believe it is not them. I'm also really unsure what the scanning of my pokémon was for, exactly. And it seems really strange that if it was an investigative power, that I'd see them doing it!

I'm starting to wonder if there might not be a Ditto onboard somewhere, but that might just be my paranoia setting in now.

• Krackenor is still the most suspicious person out of us 27. He was at the scene of the crime and he won't say why he was there or what he did. He and the main witness/victim are exchanging signs and double entendre, and now she's claiming that he, and the only other suspect are both innocent. At least the other suspect has a reason for being at the scene.

However, I do have a gut feeling that tells me that Krackenor is on the up and up, and some small hints as to his real purpose there. Maybe he was there to bake a pi or something. My head still tells me to keep an eye on him, but my gut is saying to let him off the hook this time. So I will, and I'll let y'all know my musings rather than let an innocent man fry, but practice in innuendo never hurt no one.

(Krackenor is suspicious according to the facts; however, there are subtle indications towards his innocence, so I will give him the benefit of the doubt this time. If he gets to 6 votes, I'll let people know what convinced me to withdraw my vote, but I'd rather have people figure it out for themselves.)

Unvote: Krackenor

As to voting for Rolsand, I would rather have him spill the beans than have to string him up, but if his lips are welded shut while his cheeks are flapping, then, them's the breaks. Dinner don't feed the dead, Rolsand. Dinner don't feed the dead.

(Rolsand does seem to get on my nerves, but that's not quite an indication of guilt. If it seems like he's going to die, then he should just tell us what he knows rather than take it to the grave, so that we may change our minds. However, I wouldn't feel bad about lynching him in the absence of better sources of information that aren't also likely to be important.)
  • SilvanusSilvanus The Sparrowhawk
    I am going to go back and re-read most of the day because I was posting on mobile because there were a couple of things I wanted to bring out but I did want to say something relevant to the Rolsand question first.

I will never be able to put together anything he says or somehow understand what is going on. My first real interaction with him was the Night Vale mafia game and he ended up being the serial killer. If we haven't decided on suspicion of guilt towards anyone, I am quite alright with lynching Rolsand because I know I am clueless.
    2014/04/19 01:38:01 - Leolamins drained 2000000 power to raise Silvanus as a Vernal Ascendant.
    2014/07/23 05:01:29 - Silvanus drained 2000000 power to raise Munsia as a Vernal Ascendant.
    2015/05/24 06:03:07 - Silvanus drained 2000000 power to raise Arimisia as a Vernal Ascendant.
    2015/05/24 06:03:58 - Silvanus drained 2000000 power to raise Lavinya as a Vernal Ascendant.
  • I haven't played enough mafia to know what's conventional, but it looks to me there are several possibilities:
    1. Some if not all trainers can see another trainer's actions on themselves. Sylandra's situation, if true, would confirm this.
    2. Trainers can see another trainer's actions on their Pokemon. Based on what happened to me last night, I think I can confirm this.
    3. Trainers can see both. Totally unconfirmed and wild speculation.

Is this overpowered asf? I have no idea. Can anyone more experienced comment and connect the dots for me?

Which brings up some other possibilities which are my own wild speculation:
    1. Can trainers witness a Pokemon act on their own Pokemon? Again plausible to likely since at I least want to know everything going on with my Pokemon.
    2. Can trainers witness a Pokemon that's not their own act on another Pokemon? Plausible.
    3. Maybe a Pokemon action that can observe trainers? Here, please imagine a Pokemon reporting back to its trainer, chatting it up in its Pokelanguage and making wild, yet meaningful, gestures. Imagine this Pokemon is a diminutive, yet spirited Charmander, waving around its stubby little arms, trying desperately to get its message across. Are you overloaded with cute yet? I am.
    4. Can trainers can watch their Pokemon act on another Pokemon or trainer. Seems plausible, but it looks like the Pumpkaboo and the Purrloin acted without their trainers there, so this might not be true. If this is the case, is there a way to confirm your Pokemon carried out its action without hearing that the action was confirmed by the target?

The reason I bring this up is because Vivet and Sylandra have said it's really unusual that they were able to see what actions were taken against them overnight, but if there are already two people saying it's possible, then maybe that's the way it is? Again, no clue on the is-this-balanced front.
  • I'm also going to make a Pokemon list. Because I like tracking Pokemon. Don't even fucking talk to me about Pokemon Go right now I'm still salty about getting kicked off the server after tracking and catching a Machamp and it not saving my capture.

So far:
    Pumpkaboo - a dayblocker
    Purrloin - another dayblocker
    Kecleon (Kilee) - can transform, and can perform Shadow Strike (?gets a new Pokemon from an unknown source)
    maybe a Darkrai - in its Pokedex entry, it says that it can "unleash nightmares" on people. Maybe that's what happened to Cyndarin? This would imply a night roleblocker, maybe since Cyndaquil passed out.
    something that does what is presumably Sweet Scent
    something that does what is presumably Earthquake
  • SynkarinSynkarin Nothing to see here
    To be clear - the feeling I'm getting is that the Earthquake is causing dayblocking - not necessarily the Punkaboo/Purrloin. 

Who all is dayblocked at this point. I am.

Everiine said:
    "'Cause the fighting don't stop till I walk in."
    -Synkarin's Lament.
  • SylandraSylandra Join Queue for Mafia Games The Last Mafia Game
    Well. I do have some answer. I'm a Psychic trainer. Upon inquiring with the mod, that's why I sensed the murder coming my way.

I honestly didn't think too hard about that as an explanation until now, but in a game this flavor heavy it makes sense. I'm just sorry it's been so confusing to relay--that part of my powers included this was in my unbolded flavor text, rather than in the bold power . :/
    Daraius said:
    "Oh yeah, you're a naughty mayor, aren't you? Misfile that Form MA631-D. Comptroller Shevat's got a nice gemstone disc for you, but yer gonna have to beg for it."
    To add to the Pokemon power list, there is hypnosis/sleep/sing, which I have and did not use on Othero. I don't want to go into details because you can easily know my Pokemon's counter if we ever end up in a battle, and I don't want to be caught unawares.

To repeat what I said earlier about my night 1 action, I failed to complete because the person was not there, but since no one presumably died, I don't want to out the person I visited in case they end up being someone important. The person has already confirmed a night action, so I at least know that they were telling the truth about that.

I'm going to briefly hit on a few topics that came up through the day that I didn't have the willpower to type out on mobile:

Melali: Cyndarin voted for the Male-Lee because he was being helpful, and that is exactly how he was during Night Vale. Most of my mafia experience comes from my poker experience, and good players are consistent regardless of the circumstances or stakes. His helpfulness is neither a vote against nor a vote in favor.

Krackenor: He's always been slightly cryptic and short with answers in the mafia games I've played. If it came down to him and Rolsand, I'd vote Rolsand, but at the moment, he is the top suspect for me.

Sylandra: Everyone is scared of Sylandra because of the Los Alamos game, maybe for good reason. But she played the Glow Cloud(townie) similar to Klaus Fuchs (the Soviet spy), so similar to Melali, this is neither a vote for or against.

Earthquake: Earthquake is a powerful spell compared to my 10-30 post blocking, I think it might just be Tremula's power and not actually a power used by one of us. If you were to ask me to put a bet on it being a Tremula power or one of our powers, I'd bet on one of us, but I would be worried.
    2014/04/19 01:38:01 - Leolamins drained 2000000 power to raise Silvanus as a Vernal Ascendant.
    2014/07/23 05:01:29 - Silvanus drained 2000000 power to raise Munsia as a Vernal Ascendant.
    2015/05/24 06:03:07 - Silvanus drained 2000000 power to raise Arimisia as a Vernal Ascendant.
    2015/05/24 06:03:58 - Silvanus drained 2000000 power to raise Lavinya as a Vernal Ascendant.
  • I am dayblocked, specifically from the Earthquake.

Also, I'm heading to bed now and do work tomorrow. I will try and post but mobile posting just sucks so hard.

Avurekhos says, "Dylara's a PvP menace in my eyes, totes rekting face."

The eye of Dylara materialises in your hands and flings itself around your neck, tightening incomprehensibly until it is irremovable.
    Perfectly clean, this eyeball has been wrenched from the socket of Dylara. It has been animated by some unusual force, constantly looking around itself as if in shock or fear. It is bathed in a light covering of white flames that roll endlessly over its surface. A single chain of empyreal metal pierces either side of the eye, allowing it to be worn around the neck.

• As an added note, this does not mean that my pokemon cannot act, it was specified that I could still order my pokemon to do things as it was not considered a day action.

Avurekhos says, "Dylara's a PvP menace in my eyes, totes rekting face."

The eye of Dylara materialises in your hands and flings itself around your neck, tightening incomprehensibly until it is irremovable.
    Perfectly clean, this eyeball has been wrenched from the socket of Dylara. It has been animated by some unusual force, constantly looking around itself as if in shock or fear. It is bathed in a light covering of white flames that roll endlessly over its surface. A single chain of empyreal metal pierces either side of the eye, allowing it to be worn around the neck.

• I guess the lettuce wasn't that much of an exaggeration.

That does explain more than it doesn't. So, you sensed Krackenor and Scum, both of who needed physical proximity to do their action. The scum never succeeded, but he was still close by. However, Othero, who was Watching via some means that didn't require physical proximity, was only able to see Krackenor, who was the only trainer who succeeded at his task. Maybe you can ask if you can differentiate between humans and Pokemon, or other limits/powers. Also, let us all ask questions of our fabulous Champion, no matter how trivial it may seem! There may be a lettuce leaf under every footstep!
  • Silvanus said:

Krackenor: He's always been slightly cryptic and short with answers in the mafia games I've played. If it came down to him and Rolsand, I'd vote Rolsand, but at the moment, he is the top suspect for me.

I've always been entirely truthful :(
    I just don't like giving away information until I absolutely need to.
    Krackenor said:
    Silvanus said:

I've always been entirely truthful :(
    I just don't like giving away information until I absolutely need to.
    Hey I totally do not mind that as a strategy, turtling is a good strategy sometimes. But in the Night Vale game, you got lucky because you basically had arson/cult leader stamped on your forehead. This game, you are a 50% chance of being a possible killer if we put any trust in Sylandra.

The good thing is if we end up lynching you and you are town, then Othero and Sylandra become suspect. Lynching you can be seen as a win/win in some cases, but I'm still a-ok with knocking out Rolsand. That's one less headache.
    Um, I just said I don't think Krackenor tried to kill me. @Melali peaced together why above rather eloquently.
    Daraius said:
    "Oh yeah, you're a naughty mayor, aren't you? Misfile that Form MA631-D. Comptroller Shevat's got a nice gemstone disc for you, but yer gonna have to beg for it."
    I think whoever tried to kill me is someone who isn't Othero or Krackenor.
    Daraius said:
  • Sylandra said:
    Well. I do have some answer. I'm a Psychic trainer. Upon inquiring with the mod, that's why I sensed the murder coming my way.

I honestly didn't think too hard about that as an explanation until now, but in a game this flavor heavy it makes sense. I'm just sorry it's been so confusing to relay--that part of my powers included this was in my unbolded flavor text, rather than in the bold power . :/
    So, would the Pyschic sense have saved you if the murderer had not been role blocked? Or does it just let you know that there was a failed attempt on you? That is kind of niche ability to have but with how power heavy this is I could believe it, and it would explain why Othero only detected one person,

This still would not explain why Cyndarin saw their failed attacker as well, unless she's also a Psychic trainer or something equivalent?
  • Actually, Sylandra has been advocating for Krackenor's innocence. I am inclined to believe in her Towniness, and thus believe her when she works to advocate for another's. There's also a piece of circumstantial evidence for him versus the circumstantial evidence against him. 

As for turtling, well, it's okay. Compared to Krackenor's strategy of doling out puzzle pieces one at a time, hoping that they'll be just enough of a picture to be favorable while not enough to truly examine, I prefer (if I have to protect myself) throwing out a lot of pieces at once, mixing different, similar puzzles together. That way, when people try to put them together, they put together a picture that pleases them. Of course, that's very similar to the style I am using right now, which is a sort of shotgun approach. Or maybe a "throw a lot, see what sticks" approach. Of course, in either method, I try to be organized but with enough chaos to confuse my enemies.

@Luceand @Alary have not checked in yet, by my best reckoning. Salome hasn't either, but she's excused for having a good vacation.
    @Lehki I don't know why you want me to role claim on Day 2. If I have an immunity, it's to town's advantage that I don't share it.
    Daraius said:
    Anyway I'll hop on Vote Rolsand and head to bed because I'm not interested in dealing with Leann Hart 2.0. I'm not convinced it will be a great loss even if he turns out to be town, and there aren't many options for Day 2 lynch. Kilee is new as Makaela said so I'm willing to let her settle in. Night all <3
    Daraius said:
  • Yeah fair point there, sorry. I just got done catching up on the thread and was thinking"out loud" I guess. <_<
    We still have a lot of time, it is still day one, so we shouldn't worry about people unable to check in on day one. We have a week, they can provide pieces but we have more than enough for a general outline. 

I definitely missed Sylandra's post at the end of the page describing two instances at her on top of Othero, and I also notice that a theory has been that Sylandra didn't detect the 3rd person because it was actually a pokemon, so my question is this.

Why does Earthquake and AbilitytoKill seem so much stronger than my 10-30 post blockage (that I did not use on Othero)? Compare that to your own Pokemon's power, does that seem odd to you?

• Jesus H. Can we lynch whoever's been posting the most? :( More than ten pages to catch up on IN ONE DAY and it's just so much information all at once to work through. At the very least can we put a ban on posts to correct typos or forum annoyances. That's like 20% of the posts right there.

Okay I'm done grumping, sorry. I get that my timezone is letting me down. Here's what happened with me:

On N1: I performed a night action which succeeded, but not on my original target. I had a foreboding feeling as I made my way to their car, then my body went out of my control and I wound up somewhere completely else. On my way out, the earthquake happened and I tripped face-first into the door. My headache prevents all day actions. I also had my pokemon perform an action that went through fine too.

So we have either a pokemon or a trainer who can redirect trainers to different targets. Kind of like a Witch in ToS. Judging from the flavour, it was either a seriously dark/bad style of pokemon, or NOT a townie.

Re: @Melali: I've only played one other game with HIM, and his exceptionally macho play style here is the same as then, and he was MVP townie. Though maybe I'm just being seduced by the manly pheromones.

Re: @Rolsand: Cool with lynching him. Not seeing enough improvement in our behaviour from our last game to change my opinion of his value to town.

Re: @Kilee: You can't directly quote your role and powers, but you can rephrase and explain in your own words. Why won't you?

Re: The @Krackenor, @Othero, and @Sylandra mess: I can't get a read on Krackenor. I really misjudged his posts last game; was sure he was a baddie but turned out to be town. But anyway, I don't want to lynch either of those two. I think there was a third person who targeted Sylandra, was interrupted by the quake, and would've gotten away completely undetected if it weren't for Syl's psychic powah.

All that said! Kilee is at the top of my list because stealing pokemon is way uncool and until she gives a more concrete explanation of where she's going to 'catch' these 'wild' pokemon, I don't like it. What are you doing, girl? Do you wander down to an abandoned car at the end of the train to hunt for Haunters or something?
  • Powers and their allocation aren't necessarily equal in strength. For example, you had 5 useful one use powers just last game while I was given one useful and one 'meh' oneshots.
    (Swear I'm heading to bed for real but I agree with @Cen's assessment of the Sylandra/Othero/Krackenor mess.)
    Daraius said:
    Krackenor said:
    Powers and their allocation aren't necessarily equal in strength. For example, you had 5 useful one use powers just last game while I was given one useful and one 'meh' oneshots.
    Your power actually probably saved us and really put a huge dent in their plans. I mostly just killed off Tremula and used my powers as a threat of force.

The reason why this seems weird is because it is a Pokemon power, something separate from actual powers, and with the flavor of everything, it seemed that our pokemon would be evolving into their better forms and acquire better powers. So the question is, did people start with upgraded forms of pokemon with stronger powers? Is that a thing?
  • Silvanus said:
    Krackenor said:
    Powers and their allocation aren't necessarily equal in strength. For example, you had 5 useful one use powers just last game while I was given one useful and one 'meh' oneshots.
    Your power actually probably saved us and really put a huge dent in their plans. I mostly just killed off Tremula and used my powers as a threat of force.

The reason why this seems weird is because it is a Pokemon power, something separate from actual powers, and with the flavor of everything, it seemed that our pokemon would be evolving into their better forms and acquire better powers. So the question is, did people start with upgraded forms of pokemon with stronger powers? Is that a thing?
    Fair enough. Tremula mentioned that not all of the Pokemon evolve; I guess it's not out of the question that those who only have a single form could have stronger base powers to compensate.
  • I have a feeling, from the random nature of Earthquake, that it has extreme drawbacks if unlucky: random killing. Also, it's probably an unevolvable Pokemon. Tremula mentioned that they would start out relatively strong, and end up relatively weak but relevant.
    As for Kill, well, I'm not sure, but I would guess that Pokemon cannot Kill trainers. They can fight and damage other Pokemon, maybe put status effects on trainers, but not Kill them.
    Another feeling is that your Pokemon power, which I'm assuming can be used every day?, is more of a training power. It's a slight annoyance designed to get you lots of experience (And maybe figure out who has what types, depending on their reaction to your ability) and then you upgrade to something useful.
  • From @Tremula's opening posts: "You each have been allowed one Pokémon to bring with you on the CCL Expedition, and with the exception of a few, they can be EVOLVED."

My guess is that the pokemon that can't evolve have slightly stronger/better powers to compensate.