What is the idea behind raiding?

13»

Comments

• As a fairly new person to the game but whos played a lot of the other IRE games. My opinion my be wrong on some things due to inexperience but for a few points;

Firstly Lusternia hasn't got a frequent regular group pvp target, it has some awesome events but they happen much less frequently, the astral nodes, domoths, flares and village revolts, they are great but as they are not an every day occurrence, people will try and go and create their own fun. Other games have near daily or at least other daily or so events that gives people a goal to focus their pvp wants on, its usually something minor that gives the cities only tiny benefit but still is sort of fun.

Plus Lusternia makes it very mechanically easy to raid a city or a commune, the guards are much weaker than other games and much easier to avoid, it also has loyal areas that are even easier to raid with little guard presence. The elemental, cosmic etc. Although once you get there there isnt really much to do, either the enemy will have enough pvp players to run out out easily or they dont. So either way you raid for no real gain other than kicks and giggles and cause a minor annoyance. Theres been only once when we've had enough players to fight the guards and kill a stack directly but all the other times its just killing the minor little things until you get bored and go home.

Also combat balance in Lusternia seems crazy out of wack, theres classes that can start instant kills in a few second build up and when a half decent team supports it they are not too hard to pull off, and then theres classes who can only kill someone after building up afflictions and set ups for a few minutes straight. It looks like there is a big combat overhaul going through so this will hopefully be rectified in the long run but I can completely understand people not wanting to get involved while their own abilities are vastly outstripped in group combat.
  • EnyalidaEnyalida Nasty Woman, Sockpuppeteer to the Gods
    There has long been a struggle between delayed (but guaranteed) killing strategies in Lusternia, and bursty, less assured methods. The combat overhaul isn't going to do anything directly to fix that problem, as it won't involve guild overhauls - just some class overhauls for archetypes (like warriors and monks) that needed entire new subsystems.
  • I would have thought that general class balance is part of the combat overhaul isnt it?
  • EnyalidaEnyalida Nasty Woman, Sockpuppeteer to the Gods
    edited July 2016
    It's not part of the official roadmap, no - as far as I know, at least. Outside of big perturbations caused by the overhaul, anyways.
  • It gives people something to rant tweet about on forums
  • if we can gank Demartel or Ryboi

Oi why you hating on me!?

P.s. I know that means you love me deep down in side!

;;)
  • In which side?
  • Shaddus said:

There's nothing wrong with being support.

If you can't be an athlete...be an athletic supporter.
  • Part of the issue is when people use different definitions. Raiding isn't really a single thing and if you feel it is then people doing it for other reasons then the one you hold as the one true reason are going to come across as asshats.

I think it helps to remember why such things are allowed in the first place. Arguably, no matter how a game's AI is, player in conflict with each other add a type of dynamism AIs have problem approaching and lets face it with all the good things about Lusternia and IREs, a great AI isn't one of them.

Coupled with people not really needing to hunt or liking to quest, there's always a certain number of the population that is kinda just standing around waiting for something to happen...or not wanting to wait, instigating something.

Fun Mod 1: Sub out the cries for help with the NPCs telling you not to bother, they're having a blast.