More Frequent Wild Nodes Proposal

edited August 2016 in Ideas
The idea came up in another thread that a more frequent, low-stakes official conflict mechanic could be nice, similar to the Shardfall system in Imperian (which I have not personally experienced). I thought that wild nodes could be adapted to fill this role, and here's the following tweaks I suggest for that:

Wild nodes will occur every 5 hours. - Or somewhere around there.
Reduce the duration of wild nodes to 45 minutes. - Keeps it a reasonable length.
Every 2.5 minutes, one random node will respawn in a random location. - Nerfs fortressing a bit, keeps it dynamic.
Add wild nodes related insanity messages. - For the lulz.
No other tweaks needed. - Probably, hopefully.

edit: Give 25% of the score in power to the org immediately when wildnodes ends. Still include the cheaper discretionaries for the points leader. Remove the cheaper guards.

Thoughts?

Comments

• Cool with me!
    Take great care of yourselves and each other.
  • MaligornMaligorn Windborne
    I would say make the 45 minutes into 20-30 if you want it to happen that frequently.

• Maligorn said:
    I would say make the 45 minutes into 20-30 if you want it to happen that frequently.
    Maybe! Dunno what the best balance is.
  • every 45 minutes is a ton of wildnodes. Every few hours....variable between 3 and 5. 
  • every 45 minutes is a ton of wildnodes. Every few hours....variable between 3 and 5. 
    You misread. I meant for it to happen every few hours, lasting 45 minutes.
  • edited August 2016
    Just realized the wild nodes reward system will need a slight adjustment.

Suggestion: Give 25% of the score in power to the org immediately when wildnodes ends. Still include the cheaper discretionaries for the points leader. Remove the cheaper guards.
  • Shedrin said:
    every 45 minutes is a ton of wildnodes. Every few hours....variable between 3 and 5. 
    You misread. I meant for it to happen every few hours, lasting 45 minutes.
    OOOOH. Sounds good! 45 minutes sounds great.
  • How would the discretionary work? An overall of points leader during the RL month?

Whoever has highest points overall has lower discretionaries, reset on the 1st/15th of of each month?

My worry is that if the boosts are too good it will end up being something people start opting out of instead of into because of burnout. "Oh another wildnodes. Guess I have to get up there so we don't lose our buffs" and slowly turning into "Ugh... another Wildnodes..."

I like the idea, I would just hate to see it get used a lot for a couple months and then become one of those things people avoid being on for.
  • Well right now, it makes the power cost for using discretionaries cheaper by half. So, just keep that until the next wild nodes. Or remove it, it's not a big deal either way, imo. Any rewards should be small.
  • LuceLuce Fox Populi
    Could be a reward per node. Like, the oldest node gets replaced with the next one to fall so there are always a set number, say 20, and each node your org has control over at a given time could reduce your discretionary powers' costs by 2.5%, then at the end of each round, award power to the org with the most nodes controlled/points at that time.

That'll give a tangible benefit for each of the more frequent newnodes, as well as incentives to compete even if your org probably won't 'win' each encounter and to keep participating until the end, without being so swingy that it feels pointless to participate. Maybe even have each newnode round only cause half of the nodes to repop if it still feels too swingy. 
  • One thing to note is that if this happens too often it can get in the way of astral hunts.
  • If it's every 5 hours for 45 minutes, with setup time, that means roughly 20% of the time wildnodes are going on. 4 hours of downtime inbetween.
  • SilvanusSilvanus The Sparrowhawk
    Definitely better than AFKing for 2 hours afterwards to cure insanity.
    2014/04/19 01:38:01 - Leolamins drained 2000000 power to raise Silvanus as a Vernal Ascendant.
    2014/07/23 05:01:29 - Silvanus drained 2000000 power to raise Munsia as a Vernal Ascendant.
    2015/05/24 06:03:07 - Silvanus drained 2000000 power to raise Arimisia as a Vernal Ascendant.
    2015/05/24 06:03:58 - Silvanus drained 2000000 power to raise Lavinya as a Vernal Ascendant.
  • RancouraRancoura the Last Nightwreathed Queen Canada
    I'm not a fan at all of it being every 5 hours. That's a lot of wildnodes, and benefits would only be enjoyed for a short amount of time (with the risk of losing the next one because most of that org's population needs to go to work/bed/what-have-you). I'd suggest every few days instead, maybe every 4 or 5?

But I am definitely in favour of it being shortened to 45 minutes. 1.5 hours gets tedious/tiring.

Tonight amidst the mountaintops
    And endless starless night
    Singing how the wind was lost
    Before an earthly flight

• Well the intent is to make something that is available often for people to participate in, while also having the rewards low so it doesn't feel obligatory. If done right, it wouldn't be something an org would organize to be around for most of the time, but on an individual level could it's a source of some pvp fun for those that want it. At 45 minutes long, there'd be ~1500 points available, and if an org completely rolled it, that'd give them 375 power with my suggestion of 25%. That's about 2 clears of an elemental plane if all your lords/aspects are empowered. More realistically, the points will be split among multiple orgs as well. So I don't think it's too mandatory.
  • Could it be like minor events that occur on a shorter time frame, and then one major wild nodes like we currently have? Different rewards for the level.

Avurekhos says, "Dylara's a PvP menace in my eyes, totes rekting face."

The eye of Dylara materialises in your hands and flings itself around your neck, tightening incomprehensibly until it is irremovable.
    Perfectly clean, this eyeball has been wrenched from the socket of Dylara. It has been animated by some unusual force, constantly looking around itself as if in shock or fear. It is bathed in a light covering of white flames that roll endlessly over its surface. A single chain of empyreal metal pierces either side of the eye, allowing it to be worn around the neck.

• TremulaTremula Banished Quasiroyal
    If any of you have ever played Rift, perhaps their system of PVP and PVE enabled Rifts opening across the Basin (so Prime locations) that give benefits to whomever closes them fully could be made feasible with spawns of Kethuru or something similar? You want to be the one to kill the biggest mob to spawn so that you can get the reward, so you have to kill the other people to ensure it's yours (not shared by alliances, so keeps healthy competition between Celenwilde and Glomdiguch.)

Whatever area it spawns in declares a temporary amnesty for their enemies (so if it spawns in Shallach and mobs wander into the Undead zone, you can't have Avechna status gotten or cleared), maybe? I don't know, much as I love Astral I'd like to see something on Prime (maybe even adjoining Planes like Elemental/Ethereal) and not just the High End Insanity zone.

* * * WRACK AND ROLL AND DEATH AND PAIN * * *
                                         * * * LET'S FEEL THE FEAR OF DEATH AGAIN * * *
              * * * WE'LL KILL AND SLAUGHTER, EAT THE SLAIN * * *
      * * * IN RAVAGING WE'LL ENTERTAIN * * *

Ixion tells you, "// I don't think anyone else had a clue, amazing form."