Odd question

So, character name help here for something non-Lusternian.

The character in question is named Ascelin, and his family is meant to be from totally-not-Catalonia-at-all-really. Father's first surname is Bravo, and his mother was a foundling at a church dedicated to Saint Mark. Theoretically, from my understanding, his name would end up being Ascelin de Bravo i Iglesia de San Marco.

Is that correct, or am I off?

Comments

• edited August 2016
    Never mind, ignore this

• EnyalidaEnyalida Nasty Woman, Sockpuppeteer to the Gods
    edited August 2016
    It would more likely be something like "Ascelin Bravo Iglesia" or "Ascelin Bravo Deulofeu (made by god)".

Usually there aren't as many articles or prepositions in someone's name  in Spanish-adjacent languages :p .  Usually you'd see lots of "de <blah blah>" when someone is famous, as an epithet to distinguish them in the case of a common set of names, or sometimes in a name that started that way but has evolved into a modern single name ("de la cruz" moving towards "delacruz"). Anyways, that "i" would be a "y" (and).

All those are used for making sure that you can tell which parts are the first name and which are the last name, as sometimes you might be named "Juan Miguel Alvarez" and that might mean that your name is "Juan-Miguel Alvarez" or "Juan Miguel-Alvarez" so you'd stick a 'de' in there between the first and last names to make it obvious, so "Juan de Miguel Alvarez" for the latter. The use if 'y' is the same, but between the two last names and you wouldn't really need both. "Juan Miguel y Alvarez" for the same situation. A lot of times, that stuff isn't really necessary though, there are just some really common compound first names that might show up as part of last names too.

So in long form, "Ascelin de Bravo Iglesia" or "Ascelin Bravo e Iglesia". You swap the 'y' with an 'e' because the y sound clashes with the start of Iglesia and is hard to say. 

My last name is Catalan, but is no where near as complicated, thankfully. It's just a single name. No one can pronounce it anyways. 
  • LuceLuce Fox Populi
    This is specifically a medieval not-Catalonia-n minor nobility. They have a Villa del Bravo, can afford guards, and answer royal calls-to-arms, so I'm probably going with Ascelin (ah-skeh-lean?) de Bravo Deulofeu (day-ooh-low-fay-ooh, right?). Lino in private.
  • No hard 'c', i.e. aah-sey-leen, and I'd say the last syllable is more like 'ouh' instead of 'ooh'
    OH cruel Fate, when wilt thou weary be?
    When satisfied with tormenting me?
    What have I e'er designed, but thou hast crost?
    All that I wished to gain by thee, I've lost:
    From my first infancy, thy spite thou'st shown
    and from my cradle, I've thy malice known...
  • But that's going off my non-conprehension of a totally-not-Catalonia-n language.
    OH cruel Fate, when wilt thou weary be?
    When satisfied with tormenting me?
    What have I e'er designed, but thou hast crost?
    All that I wished to gain by thee, I've lost:
    From my first infancy, thy spite thou'st shown
    and from my cradle, I've thy malice known...