Artifact Ideas

Comments

• [Daze]: Info: Total aliases: 312.
  • Box of Translocation:

The box must first be keyed to a room/piece of furniture. The user can then use the box to insert items into the container/room remotely.
  • I'd love to see more artifacts named after other famous players who are retired or semi-retired.  
    [BANNERCODE]
  • Why retired or semi-retired?
    Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.
  • PhoebusPhoebus tu fui, ego eris. Circumstances

Kiradawea said:
    Why retired or semi-retired?
    Less chance of uncorking a bottle of whine that way, I wager.
  • Tully's still playing though. It just seems like such an arbitrary cut off. What if they start playing again? Will the artifact change name? And people might still whine. "Why did you make a Forren arti? Ilyarin deserved one so much more!"

I like the idea, dislike the whiners. I just don't like the somewhat arbitrary cutoff point.
    Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.
  • edited November 2012
    I figured "retired" because it was created during a period of my retirement.  From Spring 2008 to Fall of 2010 I'd only come back more or less for anniversaries. That's the only reason I suggested that--plus it puts a stamp of legendary myth on older players, outside of the ones who actually do things like ascend, for instance.

Murphy's Mask or Ialie's Rainbow Wand or Bricriru's Bear or Kalodan's honeycake might be something to just say--hey, we remember you.  And I'm sure it'd be a minor thing, it's not gonna be like "The One Ring" or anything.  

Maybe they should just make some dolls or curios or something like that...personally, I'd like to see the admin make a Ikon set or a Fate Deck of retired or legendary adventurers.  

[BANNERCODE]
  • CyndarinCyndarin used Flamethrower! It was super effective.
    I believe the proper name would be Xenthos's stubborn thick skull
  • Or Malarious's Bag of Lost Marbles... (Which invokes +1 to parley w/admin about monk balance).

Happy Halloween Mal :)
  • edited November 2012
    Seriously, how about s 15-25 db gag gift... Like an Ironbeard-looking present. When opened, an illithoid worm pops out to shock the opener. Would be lolz to leave at the nexus or aetherplex any time of year.
  • Xenthos said:
    Xenthos' earplugs.

You will never be shattered in a debate.  It will just keep going, and going, and going...
    bonus to pedantic mindset?

• Janalon said:

Seriously, how about s 15-25 db gag gift... Like an Ironbeard-looking present. When opened, an illithoid worm pops out to shock the opener. Would be lolz to leave at the nexus or aetherplex any time of year.

As an addendum, give this gag gift a cubetap-like syntax to considerably extend reset. Gift auto resets when opened and gag worm pops out.
  • Box of Translocation:
    The box must first be keyed to a room/piece of furniture. The user can then use the box to insert items into the container/room remotely.
    Yes. This. Very much so. Bonus points if you can't tell from PROBE who it belongs to. I feel that there is really no good way to blackmail someone without revealing who you are. :|
  • edited November 2012
    Might as well have fun with this.

A tattletale pixie: You can send it to invisibly follow a player for so many minutes, and it will then return to you and tell you the says that person did or heard. Alternatively, you can leave it in a room, and after x minutes it will return to you and tell you who came and went, and anything that was said there.

Farseer's spectacles: allows continual viewing of target's room (in the same area) as though you were there. Stops working if you move or take any equilibrium action, but if they move, you keep looking at the same room.

Box of giggles: this could do a lot of things, probably having to do with influence or dramatics, perhaps along the lines of charismaticsmile, perhaps opening it provides a temporary influence buff. I just think it would be a fun item to possess.

Box of screams: Same thing, less friendly.

Box of voices: allows you to capture something somebody has said and release it. Close the box after they've said something to capture the say, and then opening it will send that say into the room as though from them, whether or not they're present.

[or a rune of giggles/screams/voices, which turns an artisan-crafted box into the above]

Spectre's rune: Whatever item you attach it to, you enter into, making you phased in a similar way to Glamours Nature or Statue. If the item is picked up or otherwise moved around, so are you. Leaving the item returns the rune to your inventory.

Boxing gloves: allows for stronger unarmed attacks.

Planar dice set: a game! Comes with four 20-sided dice and a die box. You roll dice and they scatter randomly throughout the area. Players seek the dice (which are immovable objects), and whomever can inscribe the number of each die on onto the die box wins, resetting the dice (the owner can also do this).

A portable gaming table: allows for playing psychodrama anywhere.

Life pod (aethership item): Attaches to a module. If the ship explodes while you're locked into that module, you'll be jettisoned randomly into the aethers, slowly returning to the Aetherplex/ship Perhaps it has a distress/honing signal. Ships with aetherholds can pick you up to save (or capture) you.

[More to come?]
  • Mark of anonymity: prevents an item from displaying somebody's "distinctive mark."
  • Dissection table (manse item): allows you to destroy the body of an adventurer in order to obtain comms. Trill = poultry, lucidians = gems, taurians = leather, merian = fish, etc.
  • Pretty neat ideas!

I would like to offer that Skye's idea of a portable gaming table instead be something you affix to a small table (artisan thingy that doesn't serve many purposes). When the table decays or is destroyed, the item returns to the player to be affixed to something else. Gives small tables a purpose!
  • To continue attempting to beef the artisan market:

Rune of the magic wardrobe: Attaching it to a wardrobe (or chest) allows ENTER [item] to enter a magical hiding place, which removes you from who and all its variants, like a cloaking gem. You can't leave that room, but you'll be hidden. If you own two such runes/runed pieces of furniture, you can link them. Entering a piece of furniture would then instead teleport you to the other.
  • A craftsman's catalogue: A resetting book that automatically lists all designs you can create for a given trade. Essentially your own [trade] [item] command, but for other people to read.
  • I really like putting says in places they don't belong.

Pendant of shared consciousness: While worn (/active) you will periodically say things that other people (randomly throughout the Basin) say as they say them. You won't know who. Whispering prevents your says from being picked up by a pendant wearer.
  • edited November 2012
    A bottle of Luminol

Shows all the hidden places within a room that can be probed, interacted with, or in other ways frustrate your efforts in doing quests by not being readily apparent.

Because sometimes, probing every word in the long roomdesc isn't enough to find them all.
  • XenthosXenthos Shadow Lord
    That would be greatly beneficial, especially for objects you have to interact with are not even in the room description.

"You're just not checking all the hiding places!". Well, duh, I am not probing an entire dictionary's contents in every single room in an area. Grumble.

If it's an auction item it'll probably end up far too overvalued though, given a small cluster of people really into questing (more so than the general populace). I would rather see it released as a standard artifact for everyone and priced appropriately.
  • Oh, certainly not an auction Arti. That'll just be the pliers all over again.

Quests already have plenty of things that make them difficult. They don't need to be difficult because you probed "barrels" instead of "barrel", or used "drapes" instead of "curtains", or because the item isn't there in the first place.

And not too expensive. That's just a metaphorical kick in the teeth of those who like doing quests.
  • There ought to be some drawback with it, though... a 10p cost per room, or a one use per hour thing, chance to fail or not show all nouns? Dunno, if it's a smallish priced item (which would be great), it'd be nice if it wasn't an easy-button for quests.
  • XenthosXenthos Shadow Lord
    I don't feel that finding the hidden objects in a room would be an "easy button" for quests; it is generally a small part of the whole, in addition to the puzzle solving / other portions.

A 10p cost per room would also make it pretty pointless. If you can't find the item by probing (because, say, it has a different name) you would have to use it in every room in the area until you find it... and if the area has 20 rooms, goodbye 200 power.

I am personally envisioning 200cr for the thing, but with limitations like that I would have difficulty justifying it at any more than 25 or so. If you can't use it in every room in the area *while* you are trying to complete the quest, why did you even buy it?

That said, my version of "low price" is probably not equal to others'. I can see it going for 400+ in an auction though, which is going to price many more out of it.
  • SiamSiam Whispered Voice
    Skye said:
    Dissection table (manse item): allows you to destroy the body of an adventurer in order to obtain comms. Trill = poultry, lucidians = gems, taurians = leather, merian = fish, etc.
    This reminds me of Druken. We had this plan to dissect lucidians and write books off of it. Hmmm!
    Viravain, Lady of the Thorns shouts, "And You would seize Me? Fool! I am the Glomdoring! I am the Wyrd, and beneath the cloak of Night, the shadows of the Silent stir!"

#bringShikariback 

• Xenthos said:
    I don't feel that finding the hidden objects in a room would be an "easy button" for quests; it is generally a small part of the whole, in addition to the puzzle solving / other portions. A 10p cost per room would also make it pretty pointless. If you can't find the item by probing (because, say, it has a different name) you would have to use it in every room in the area until you find it... and if the area has 20 rooms, goodbye 200 power. I am personally envisioning 200cr for the thing, but with limitations like that I would have difficulty justifying it at any more than 25 or so. If you can't use it in every room in the area *while* you are trying to complete the quest, why did you even buy it? That said, my version of "low price" is probably not equal to others'. I can see it going for 400+ in an auction though, which is going to price many more out of it.
    200 is low! I'd buy it for that. Mind, if it was an auction artie, I would fight for it to be mine. I'm the world's worst quester. :-<

In any case, you're probably right on the power thing, but hnng. Unlimited cosmic power.

• One use per hour is just... what? It wouldn't be worth 25 credits even. It would take you days to check every room of an area, and that would be for perhaps one quest only. It'd take you a week or so to check out the Infinity Project, and you'd have to keep a list outside of every room you've checked and what you've found there.

Seriously, why would there "need" to be some drawback to it? The point of it is to avoid having to put a nounlist into an alias and probe those nouns in every single room after having probed every word in the longdesc. Spam avoidance can just be done by giving it an equilibrium/balance cost equal to secrets in environment.

Actually, the more I think about it, I wouldn't dislike seeing this as a skill in Environment/Discernment. We already do have secrets after all. Why not "objects" or something.
  • If you guys are finding items that are mismatched to their description, like "drapes" instead of "curtains", please bug those.