When Is It Spam?

edited October 2017 in Common Grounds
So, by now you've probably figured out that I'm selling wonder gems and buying genies, and that Gero can give you the best experience of your life. Serious question, though, how often is it okay to post a Market ad before it's spamming?

Just choose the closest to your answer, and feel free to qualify it in comments.

Much love <3

Comments

• Once an hour is about as frequent as you can go without people starting to complain.
    #NoWireHangersEver

Vive l'apostrophe!
  • I don't advert but once an hour is fine by me as long as there aren't 3-5 people doing it. If everyone starts going hourly I might start complaining.
    (I'm the mom of Hallifax btw, so if you are in Hallifax please call me mom.)

== Professional Girl Gamer == 
    Yes I play games
    Yes I'm a girl
    get over it
  • LuceLuce Fox Populi
    If everyone does it in bursts once an hour it might be an issue, but I still couldn't really begrudge any single marketer. Anything more than once an hour though is a bit suspect unless you need to offload something NOW, or something major changes about the thing on offer.
  • Your words say once an hour, but your votes says once every 10/15 minutes. Why?
    Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.
  • TremulaTremula Banished Quasiroyal
    The question is 'When is it considered spam?' SO once every 10/15 minutes feels spammy. I feel like every half hour or so a different reminder about [X] advertisment is fine, or clever marketing ploys. @Septim was always my favourite, and at one point in time he and I were competing with alliteration adverts (actually avoid all these always).
                          * * * WRACK AND ROLL AND DEATH AND PAIN * * *
                                         * * * LET'S FEEL THE FEAR OF DEATH AGAIN * * *
              * * * WE'LL KILL AND SLAUGHTER, EAT THE SLAIN * * *
      * * * IN RAVAGING WE'LL ENTERTAIN * * *

Ixion tells you, "// I don't think anyone else had a clue, amazing form."
  • I misread it when I voted, I thought it was when is it spam, not what is the preferred range. Personally every 5 minutes is just fine, people log in and out all the time, or are just afk and come back to it.
  • edited September 2016
    If people get bothered by it they can turn the channel off.
  • Speaking from personal experience, some people will just snub you if you market too often. Even if you haven't spoken to them, ever. Once an hour feels decent to me. Different messages probably doesn't matter too much;I used to have 10 or so on a random loop every 30 minutes (I think it was? Perhaps 15 minutes? 20?) and that made some snub me.
  • TremulaTremula Banished Quasiroyal
    The least amount of time I've ever gone between them is 5-10 minutes, and that's only in intervals of 2 to make sure anyone whose just logged in and doesn't do MARKETTELLS sees that I'm looking for X curio piece/X service and need it badly enough to use market aether.
                          * * * WRACK AND ROLL AND DEATH AND PAIN * * *
                                         * * * LET'S FEEL THE FEAR OF DEATH AGAIN * * *
              * * * WE'LL KILL AND SLAUGHTER, EAT THE SLAIN * * *
      * * * IN RAVAGING WE'LL ENTERTAIN * * *

Ixion tells you, "// I don't think anyone else had a clue, amazing form."
  • PortiusPortius Likes big books, cannot lie
    I mostly agree with the general trend here, but with one exception: If your message is clever and/or punny and you change it regularly so it stays clever and/or punny, you can go a lot more often before I start silently judging you.
    Any sufficiently advanced pun is indistinguishable from comedy.
  • 1 hour for a thing you're going to be advertising for indefinitely (Being a Tailor, seeking curios, etc.) 15 minutes for something you want just the once (Seeking an Enchanter)
  • Rolsand said:
    If people get bothered by it they can turn the channel off.
    People shouldn't feel they have to turn off the channel because of one person though.  I know that I keep the channel on because I am often in search of esteem or other bits and pieces.  I just resort to snubbing the spammer as mentioned by others.
    Kiss of the Enchantress hisses eerily, "Let them fear, and despair."
  • The question is When is it spam, I'm like 99% sure half the people who voted have voted for what they think is an acceptable time to use the market.

But like once every 5-15 mins for something you need urgently seems pretty good, I mean as long as its not a big line. Its not spammy its not going to force out anyones other text lines so its not going to effect anything.

Push it up to 30mins for selling stuff or buying stuff that your is no rush for.