Did you pick up any skills OOC for IC reasons?

I was thinking about this recently, since I'm staring at a couple of 'How the Crap Do I Poem? For Dummies' books so I can write poems IC. Have you ever picked up a skill OOC to enrich your IC life or to fit an IC concept? If so, which skill, and how did you come about learning it? :)

Comments

• Absolutely. I practiced setting people on fire to make sure I was doing it right IG.
    Hands-on experience is the best kind of practice.
  • TremulaTremula Banished Quasiroyal
    edited September 2016
    I spent so much time studying famous art pieces when I was looking for inspiration for my Lisaera tapestry that I actually know why that one painting that appears to be all black is actually an art piece.

EDIT: I have more, but on the way to work. I'll update as I think about them later.
                          * * * WRACK AND ROLL AND DEATH AND PAIN * * *
                                         * * * LET'S FEEL THE FEAR OF DEATH AGAIN * * *
              * * * WE'LL KILL AND SLAUGHTER, EAT THE SLAIN * * *
      * * * IN RAVAGING WE'LL ENTERTAIN * * *

Ixion tells you, "// I don't think anyone else had a clue, amazing form."
  • SiamSiam Whispered Voice
    When I was King of the Night, I wore this tiara everywhere I went and asked people to kiss it.
    Viravain, Lady of the Thorns shouts, "And You would seize Me? Fool! I am the Glomdoring! I am the Wyrd, and beneath the cloak of Night, the shadows of the Silent stir!"

#bringShikariback 

• edited September 2016
    no real reason why I picked up bc/bm and tracking.
  • LuceLuce Fox Populi
    I'm currently (slowly) learning to cook. I also picked up a lot of fashion terms, especially regarding gowns and dresses while doing tailoring stuff. But the biggest things I learned here were descriptive writing, puns, and limericks. I find though that I can't do longform roleplays as easily, too used to the short-form here.
  • I can't clam I learned to write for Lusternia, but I have definitely worked on my short fiction and poetry skills since coming here
    The purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure pure reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!
  • Rolsand said:
    Tracking is the stronger skill out of the other options. I picked warrior because at the time I thought that a common class like this would be okay.
    TIL rolsand is a tracker IRL
    Your numbers today are:
    Stratas said:
    I can't clam I learned to write for Lusternia, but I have definitely worked on my short fiction and poetry skills since coming here
    Same! My drawing and writing and typing skills have improved over the years. :)
    Viravain, Lady of the Thorns shouts, "And You would seize Me? Fool! I am the Glomdoring! I am the Wyrd, and beneath the cloak of Night, the shadows of the Silent stir!"

#bringShikariback 

• RancouraRancoura the Last Nightwreathed Queen Canada
    Not a skill per se, but I learned a whole lot about spider anatomy to help me design the inside of Ilosia (Glom's largest aethership).

Tonight amidst the mountaintops
    And endless starless night
    Singing how the wind was lost
    Before an earthly flight

• There is a sex joke that I'm waiting to see made in this thread.
    Your numbers today are:
  • LuceLuce Fox Populi
    I mean, those of us who know how Loboshigaru anatomy works probably already knew.
  • I didn't even think of that one luce .-.
    Your numbers today are:
    I, too, studied spider anatomy and researched more on the Wyrden trees(blackthorn, hemlock, etc.) and flowers. :)

#bringShikariback 

• Shaddus said:
    I got married irl so I'd be used to the total lack of romance in my life in Lusternia. #foreveralone
    Just like me! Except not married IRL, so I suffer double.
  • DaraiusDaraius Shevat The juror's taco spot
    I took up mandolin in high school but I was never as good at is as my Achaean character. I took up origami to help with anxiety but I was never as good as Daraius.
    I used to make cakes.

Estarra the Eternal says, "Give Shevat the floor please."
  • TremulaTremula Banished Quasiroyal
    Sylandra said:
    Everiine said:
    I was always a good typist. But playing Lusternia has turned me into a far better one, to the point that people watch me type and think I'm some sort of freak for being able to type so quickly.
    I always enjoy the initial look of awe on student's faces when I first type in their presence, especially if I'm typing while making eye contact with them. It's a fun hat trick.
    If I attempt to type quickly, I can type at 200 words per minute. My natural typing speed is rather nice (140-150), and when I'm relaxed I can still easily churn out 80-90. I forgot that I didn't mute my mic and began typing out one of my poses towards...I think it was Luce, actually, and after I finally stopped my friend asked, "Did you just make an angry rant on Tumblr?" Lusternia added an urgency to make sure that the person on the other end of the screen didn't think I was ignoring them, and that's what brought my relaxed wpm to 80-90 from 60-65. 

Now I just need to think up what to say so I can type as fast as I can.
                          * * * WRACK AND ROLL AND DEATH AND PAIN * * *
                                         * * * LET'S FEEL THE FEAR OF DEATH AGAIN * * *
              * * * WE'LL KILL AND SLAUGHTER, EAT THE SLAIN * * *
      * * * IN RAVAGING WE'LL ENTERTAIN * * *

Ixion tells you, "// I don't think anyone else had a clue, amazing form."
    1.) I studied geography and geographical formations so I could learn to describe rooms better, although my drafts never made it in-game. My notebooks are full of drafts!

2.) I studied design terminologies from various real-life trades and studies(architecture, etc.)(shout-out to @Aramel for introducing me to 'distaff' - I will forever love the Black Tower for teaching me 'crenelations'!)

3.) I studied insect anatomy! Not just spiders and while I was never afraid of spiders and other insects in general, I learned to appreciate their otherwordly beauty!

4.) I studied various botanical and zoological terms for this game! Although I cannot name them all at the drop of the hat, some words stuck like chilicerae!

5.) I scoured the Internet for various articles touching on theology and mythology from different cultures. They're a great way to spend boring weekends.

6.) I now know pretty names for colours! Chartreuse and mauve! Also pretty words like nacreous!

7.) I studied types of scythes and weapons and armors! I read tropes about them, too!

Man, I learned a looooooooot because of my love for this game.

#bringShikariback