Simple Ideas

Comments

• Which is fine, imo - people already ignore them as-is. If you saw someone emoting about being insane, you'd actually see that they are roleplaying, instead of just ignoring them.

Guess this is a losing suggestion, though. Thanks for all the feedback. 
  • Breandryn said:
    Which is fine, imo - people already ignore them as-is. If you saw someone emoting about being insane, you'd actually see that they are roleplaying, instead of just ignoring them.

Guess this is a losing suggestion, though. Thanks for all the feedback. 
    Eh dont ignore them then, roleplay with it. Its up to you and the people around you to actually roleplay. I mean everyone can ignore them but well thats the same as anything anyone can ignore anything and not put it into the character.
  • I like to do the seksay emote on my Glom when I'm "insane" just because I like seeing it.
    Your numbers today are:
  • I do roleplay. However, there are some things in MUDs that players tend to visually gloss over, such as the full text of abilities during combat, or the emotes tossed out during astralhunting. Nobody is going to do any character building during an astralhunt, due to simply how hard it is to pick out real emotes/tells from the noise.
  • ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    I've proposed marriage during an astral hunt. Marriage makes you insane already, so why not?
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • edited September 2016
    Breandryn said:
    I do roleplay. However, there are some things in MUDs that players tend to visually gloss over, such as the full text of abilities during combat, or the emotes tossed out during astralhunting. Nobody is going to do any character building during an astralhunt, due to simply how hard it is to pick out real emotes/tells from the noise.
    People can and do character build during and after hunts, having a bit of conversation while insane or teaching people about the lore of astral while slowly going insane on a hunt is pretty fun and also helps emphasise the power of the soulless I guess.@Breandryn

The tools and the lore are there to make use of but it is up to the players. You can use it if you want to or ignore it but either way play the game how you enjoy it.
  • Veyils said:
    Breandryn said:
    I'm not saying remove insanity. I just think the emotes are spammy and intrusive. I can roleplay a much more engaging and in-depth insane experience via my own emotes vs randomly mooning the room or shrieking stuff. If there was a generic option, that would make it a lot easier for us to roleplay out our own "flavors" of insanity - maybe Xenthos hears the wyrd itself talking to him, while Veyils keeps seeing the trees smiling at her with yellowed wolf fangs.

And this would just be an option, not a change, so everyone who likes the emotes could keep that.

But if you did all the emotes yourself you'd have control of it. The aspect of true insanity and mental ticks is that you cant control them.

Like I do like the idea of more personalized messages, says and tells heard from people you know are more likely that strangers and such but the random verbal ticks and emotes you do simply must stay.

Removing the ticks would mean its not insanity just hallucinations and well we already have hallucinations as a separate thing to insanity. Personally I'd love to see more variety in the forced actions than just emotes like I'll randomly say give me your hat!! to a random person but well that seems like a lot of work :/
    I would love this. It would entertain me endlessly.

I actually quite enjoy insanity. 

1 ) Calor: "That's an interested question."
    2 ) Calor: "Ahem, interesting."
    3 ) Calor: "You asked if I remembered the Elder Gods."
    4 ) Calor: "Ohhh, I guess it could be that!"

Guess where that came from. :>

I also told Barrin in the middle of a hunt earlier that he apparently hated my father. I also chose to ignore most of the random emotes, but some of the funnier ones got responses while we were all quite loony.

I find insanity quite reasonable, emotes and all. If I get horribly drunk in real life, I might do something ridiculous like walk around with the top of my dress pulled down to bare my baby-feeding bits. I definitely might not have done something like that when I was younger, nope nope nope. If I knowingly go somewhere that my sanity is going to be affected in game, mooning is not even the weirdest thing I might do. Especially since I'm hallucinating mass bleeding and piles of gold all over. :D 
  • Yeah, the actual point of insanity is to be character-breaking. It forces your character to do things they won't do - to do things that are lame, ugly, undesirable, unseemly, inappropriate, uncharacteristic, and a whole lot of other things. It breaks characters out from what they would usually do. It adds depth to your roleplay precisely because you are not able to regulate how much your characer is affected by it - you (and your character) HAVE to roll with the punches, and do things your character doesn't like to do, because that actually is the point of astral insanity.

In fact, if you want to make things even more immersive, we should make insanity even MORE randomised, because it actually IS immersion breaking if you can start to predict what an insane person will do - insanity is supposed to be scary, crazy, and unpredictable. As older players can tell you, they actually can ignore insanity only because they are so experienced with it. New players are invariably forced to interact with it because they have not seen it before. We still get the newbie who is tickled and amused by insanity tells or actions that they post it in Quotes and Misquotes, whereas older players would look at those posts and faintly smile, recognising it for insanity in around half a second.

We should create an algorithm that will randomly create insanity based actions that will defy a player's ability to predict whether something is due to insanity or not. But that's probably too much work.

But yeah, it doesn't matter if you can do a better job roleplaying insanity in a way that you like. The entire point of insanity is the lack of control for the character, and a mechanical enforcement of it is the most RP-true way of expressing it.

• I could get behind villagers fearing me.
    Your numbers today are:
  • Because redoing appearance, could we have like... divine/infused tattoos?

The idea is that we would be able to get a demipower that infuses your tattoos with domothean energy and enhances them to reflect your power.

Tattoo sketches would have additional fields for appearance and examined which would replace the normal versions when you have that power. They would then have different rules for what's allowed (but would have to fundamentally be the same tattoo just enhanced), the simple ideas are like glows, moonfire, etc Maybe more extreme effects, depending on where the line should be drawn. 

No actual mechanical benefits or anything, just nice appearance stuff
  • Just a tought on the business of insanity:

A mutilated gravedigger tells you, "My darling! I cannot forgive your mother."

I wonder, would it be possible to make it so that if you're insane you can REPLY to 'denizen' tells? Perhaps they could even just go into a log that a godmin could access if they were looking for player interaction. I know I've had some great RP with players where I've responded to tells they didn't actually send, so perhaps this would open up another avenue for the godmin to frick interact with people.
  • Versalean said:
    Just a tought on the business of insanity:

A mutilated gravedigger tells you, "My darling! I cannot forgive your mother."

I wonder, would it be possible to make it so that if you're insane you can REPLY to 'denizen' tells? Perhaps they could even just go into a log that a godmin could access if they were looking for player interaction. I know I've had some great RP with players where I've responded to tells they didn't actually send, so perhaps this would open up another avenue for the godmin to frick interact with people.

Make them look like real tells.

so tellsfull shows them up as well to make them harder to ignore?
  • LuceLuce Fox Populi
    Should add in a function so that you might also randomly hear players in your family tell you "We need to talk."
  • DaraiusDaraius Shevat The juror's taco spot
    Hallucinatory CT/FT/OT messages would be fun too.  >:)
    I used to make cakes.

Estarra the Eternal says, "Give Shevat the floor please."
  • LuceLuce Fox Populi
    Or, to really tug at things:

Elostian tells you, "How progresses?"
  • TremulaTremula Banished Quasiroyal
    (Luce, insane from a wildnodes or something similar)

Daraius Shevat tells you, "I am gravely disappointed in you."
                          * * * WRACK AND ROLL AND DEATH AND PAIN * * *
                                         * * * LET'S FEEL THE FEAR OF DEATH AGAIN * * *
              * * * WE'LL KILL AND SLAUGHTER, EAT THE SLAIN * * *
      * * * IN RAVAGING WE'LL ENTERTAIN * * *

Ixion tells you, "// I don't think anyone else had a clue, amazing form."
  • LuceLuce Fox Populi
    HEARTSTOP
  • As amusing as a lot of this is, I don't actually want to see one person's astral insanity start to affect the whole world when they're suddenly responding to org-tells that nobody else is hearing. It's not unusual to get tells out of the blue from people responding to astral insanity, and even while the oldbies recognize them for what they are, they still play along. We were trading all kinds of silly tells during that ur'bash the other night.

It would definitely be fun to see astral insanity refreshed a bit though, especially some of the flavor in the later stages. I've had a lot of fun telling newbies 'ghost stories' about that duck, but shake your bon bon is a bit of dated reference! Also, and I said this on a clan the other night, I can't believe they put in a fae-spa quest that doesn't reference "the feet of the fae."
    #NoWireHangersEver

Vive l'apostrophe!
  • edited September 2016
    I want to see Astral insanity start giving actual hallucinations like exits that aren't actually there or ganks starting that aren't actually happening, or NPCs speaking to someone that only that someone can see. Or they make them think they're in a different area than they actually are.
  • Algontherine whistles should work if the Manse owner has given someone room perms on the command chair (and/or grid/fulcrux).

• XenthosXenthos Shadow Lord
    If you are going to do that, it should require both fulcrux entry perms and Command Chair perms.  A person with these two permissions would be able to hop on the ship and fly it anywhere on their own anyways.
  • Eh, no thanks. Just because I give someone permission to fly my ship, does not mean I want to give them permission to whistle it while I am flying it.
    #NoWireHangersEver

Vive l'apostrophe!
  • XenthosXenthos Shadow Lord
    Talan said:
    Eh, no thanks. Just because I give someone permission to fly my ship, does not mean I want to give them permission to whistle it while I am flying it.
    Could also add a requirement that it be docked at the time of whistling (obviously, owner doesn't have the extra requirement).  That's if someone actually wants to pursue this.  I'm not completely sold on it as an idea, but I think it might be workable with enough restrictions to prevent active / accidental abuse.  Question is if, with all the restrictions, there is still even a point to bothering with it.
  • Xenthos said:
    Talan said:
    Eh, no thanks. Just because I give someone permission to fly my ship, does not mean I want to give them permission to whistle it while I am flying it.
    Could also add a requirement that it be docked at the time of whistling (obviously, owner doesn't have the extra requirement).  That's if someone actually wants to pursue this.  I'm not completely sold on it as an idea, but I think it might be workable with enough restrictions to prevent active / accidental abuse.  Question is if, with all the restrictions, there is still even a point to bothering with it.
    Still not sure how requirements on modules actually work. I thought the were separate than actual ability to edit the room. Should not be based solely on ability to lock into modules (though the should be able to lock into the command chair). 
    So, MODULE PERMS on the chair and MANSE ROOM PERMS (IE permission to actually edit the room) at the fulcrux. The idea being that, one they can move the ship anyway, and two it's someone the owner clearly trusts to give them the ability to edit the manse room. 
  • Have the PATH WALK etc system not be limited to 50 rooms, and possibly make it so that you can PATH WALK <area> rather than restrict it to landmarks. Achaea and Imperian both have it this way, and it's a very nifty feature. (I don't play Aetolia so I don't know what they have).
    See you in Sapience.
  • Tristanna said:
    Xenthos said:
    Talan said:
    Still not sure how requirements on modules actually work. I thought the were separate than actual ability to edit the room. Should not be based solely on ability to lock into modules (though the should be able to lock into the command chair). 
    So, MODULE PERMS on the chair and MANSE ROOM PERMS (IE permission to actually edit the room) at the fulcrux. The idea being that, one they can move the ship anyway, and two it's someone the owner clearly trusts to give them the ability to edit the manse room. 
    Could just have an additional module which allows anyone with permissions on it to whistle, no need to worry about maintaining permission combos just one nice and clear list of people. A docked requirement also seems alright, I'd suggest command chair being locked but that might somehow be problematic during flares

It seems like something that could be convenient for org ships at the least, personal ones well... depend on the individual.
  • Could we have the masterarmour thing for splendor robes? There's some designs that I'd like for me but that also could just be generally available robes