Tweets VII: Tweet Child of Mine

Comments

• EveriineEveriine Wise Old Swordsbird / Brontaur Indianapolis, IN, USA
    Ev is both racist and xenophobic, and wishes others were more like him.
    Everiine is a man, and is very manly. This MAN before you is so manly you might as well just gender bend right now, cause he's the manliest man that you ever did see. His manly shape has spurned many women and girlyer men to boughs of fainting. He stands before you in a manly manerific typical man-like outfit which is covered in his manly motto: "I am a man!"

Daraius said: You gotta risk it for the biscuit.

Pony power all the way, yo. The more Brontaurs the better.
  • Tamashi said:
    Celest is probably the most hate filled Org thinking about it. I mean sure Mag has the literal Lord of Wrath, and has a few races they dislike, but they don't just outright ban you. You can join just never advance because of 'lesser' race etc. Celest just outright bans races from even being in the borders of any territory. Not to even mention the 'hate' for the Taint is basically because they're told it's bad. Still find it comical that the city's RP has always been "Must cleanse the Taint" when it's really their own fault. The traits most people think about Mag: greed, power hungry, the like are kinda what Old Celest was and New Celest founded upon.
    Erm, god forbid that a city would want to clean up their own mistake. I know that Kelly used to make a big deal about there being a distinction between Old and New Celest.

• @Maligorn I'd applaud them if they even taught or recognized it was 'their mistake' but instead, the teachigns are along the lines of, they're evil, we must cleanse the impurities and all PRAISE THE LIGHT THAT CANNOT BE DEFINED!
  • LuceLuce Fox Populi
    Hey man, don't look at me, I tried and got run out of the city.
  • Siam said:
    Young aspiring illithoid druids accepted by the Blacktalon! We got carrion!

Simply more proof that Celest is evil and Glomdoring are the good guys.
  • TremulaTremula Banished Quasiroyal
    Hallifax had an election where one of the candidates had 'Taint the Matrix' as a legitimate platform. We're true neutral.
                          * * * WRACK AND ROLL AND DEATH AND PAIN * * *
                                         * * * LET'S FEEL THE FEAR OF DEATH AGAIN * * *
              * * * WE'LL KILL AND SLAUGHTER, EAT THE SLAIN * * *
      * * * IN RAVAGING WE'LL ENTERTAIN * * *

Ixion tells you, "// I don't think anyone else had a clue, amazing form."
  • PhoebusPhoebus tu fui, ego eris. Circumstances
    Tremula said:
    Hallifax had an election where one of the candidates had 'Taint the Matrix' as a legitimate platform. We're true neutral.
    I think you mean Lawful Neutral.
  • I have to agree with @Phoebus, we care very much for the law.
  • PhoebusPhoebus tu fui, ego eris. Circumstances
    Tamashi said:
    I have to agree with @Phoebus, we care very much for the law.
    You could probably make a decent argument for Good, Neutral, or Evil for Hallifax, but the Lawful part is really not up for debate. :P
  • An elegant, tenebrous dining chamber.
    Superimposed over this location, an ethereal forest reaches up to the sky. Lips
    pursed in irritation, Caifan n'Lochli is here, seated in a richly-upholstered wheeled
    chair. Grinning mischievously, a sleek dolphin frolics in the waves.

What have you done, Caifan?
    The purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure pure reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!
  • Tamashi said:
    @Maligorn I'd applaud them if they even taught or recognized it was 'their mistake' but instead, the teachigns are along the lines of, they're evil, we must cleanse the impurities and all PRAISE THE LIGHT THAT CANNOT BE DEFINED!
    I mean, my Celestian character does do the "sins of the past" RP. I think that's a normal Celestian thing, but I could be wrong.

• edited September 2016
    I can't figure out what to do with all my midkemia credits.... Aetolia and Imperian or boring ... and I'm am alted up in Achaea and Lusty :(
  • edited September 2016
    I thought lawful evil for Hallifax, don't we have like torture chambers to fuel stuff

Glomdoring comes across as like almost true communism, could probably take a bunch of red state propaganda and replace the words state with THE WYRD and they'd probably sound just right. Nothing matters but glory of the red state ahem I mean WYRD :D

Mag seems like the embodiment of a stereotypically bad capitalist state. Progress and such is all that matters, part of the machine, scew the environment in the name of progress.

And Celeste def has the super religious racist thing going for it.

All kinda dodgy on their own right, Gaudi almost seems like one of the more good guys if your cool with mad scientist genetic manipulation type stuff :D
  • No. There is a behavioural corrections institute, but it doesn't involve torture, and it certainly doesn't fuel anything but wild conspiracy theories.

Glomdoring is facist cult. There's nothing that pushes for an "from each according to ability, to each according to need" mentality. That there is core to communism, rather than facism which promotes a, well, fanatical admiration of an ideology.

Mag is also an aristocracy. While they have a lot of industry the social system is based a lot around nobility and social posturing. There's no focus on the accumulation of wealth, but rather on the accumulation of power. Social power and military power.

Celest is super-religious racist though. On that we at least agree. And like with all religions there are blind, crude, cruel facists that use religion as a tool for control and those that actually embrace the virtues of the religion. And I'll leave it at that.
    Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.
  • edited September 2016
    nevermind
  • Depending on the skill, there probably are reasons why there are five variations to how you can activate it. There also is a reason to obfuscate help scrolls, and that reason would be volunteer admin who try their best to make good help scrolls, but can't do a perfect job all the time.

Taking a break from something that is frustrating you is probably a good idea, though.

• Yes, you are right. Sorry to anyone I've bugged or bothered, especially @Weiwae
  • Breandryn said:
    Yes, you are right. Sorry to anyone I've bugged or bothered, especially @Weiwae
    Wasn't a bother, I was having fun. I hope you were as well.
  • edited September 2016
    Agreed.
  • if people are harassing you IG with that crap, issue them. The admin do listen
  • edited September 2016
    Sweety @Breandryn I'm sorry if people are treating you badly issue any and all harassment but maybe take a little break if things are stressing you out before making any big decisions. It's a game and we  all should be having fun
  • EnyalidaEnyalida Nasty Woman, Sockpuppeteer to the Gods
    Calling women "bitch" is sexist, no matter how sassy you are. Sorry!

Ah yes, all those real life cultures with names like Cthoglogg, who live in giant caves underground and are actual mindflayers. The Czigany Wayfaire people are pretty clearly intended to be romani, with romani names like Vadoma and Andrzej, and familiar 'gypsy' tropes. You know, romani - the real life ethnic group that is still being actively persecuted in western Europe and beyond. Except these also steal people's children to power their creepy constructs. Carnival Gypsies stealing children away, ring any bells? 

There is a difference between fantasy racism within the context of a game (characters being prejudiced) and questionable game design. Particularly against (say) Illithoids, literal spawn of an antithetical uber-deity. There is, of course, also a dramatic element of choice in a game like Lusternia. It's not an immutable quality of a Lusternian character. It's one thing for a piece of fiction (interactive or otherwise) to explore racism, it's another to present it in such a way that it's not remarked on and is intended to be taken in stride as a normal portrayal.  

I don't... really have much of a horse in this race. It's not a portrayal that directly impacts me, or that is likely to directly impact any of Lusternia's audience, as this game is a small subset of a smaller subset of fiction and the wayfaire isn't even a permanent part of the game. That doesn't change what is, though, and the subject came up - albeit indirectly. 
  • LuceLuce Fox Populi
    I was under the impression that the children A) went willingly, B) weren't impacted nearly as heavily as the players, and C) went home after the rides. Admittedly, the Romani vampire thing is a bit overdone, as is the (creepy) Romani carnival, but I always thought the Czigany crew were some of the more complex and human characters in this game. We see that they struggle to gain acceptance, we see one's past and how she came to be what she is (sort of), and we see them carry on and commiserate with us, the adventurers. They don't talk down to us or put us on a pedestal, or even try to figure out where we are in relation to them on the social ladder, like a lot of NPCs seem to.

Tangental, but I'm also fairly sure the constructs power themselves, and the Wayfaire crew are using the energy they take from us and the kids to fuel the crew a la White Court vampires from Dresden files, or Changelings from MLP.
  • edited September 2016
    Sylandra said:
    Ah, yes, the good old days of Celestian imperialism. I always wonder if other orgs should resent Celest for its previous incarnation's empire.
    The entirety of the Basin was the Celestian empire.  Being anti-Celestian is a bit like... if a thousand years from now, Texas, California, New York and Illinois are their own countries, and they blame the USA for World War 3.

Bizarre as that notion sounds to me, it makes for some great conflict, which is basically fuel for story.  I'm of the opinion that every org's relationship should be strained at best vis a vis other orgs.  But blaming New Celest for Old Celest (which EVERYONE was a part of) has always struck me as thin logic washed over with a lot of pain and anger.

so much edit: In other words, it doesn't make sense for them to do so.  But at the same time, how can they not?  The Basin is effectively post-apocalyptic^3 and someone has to take the blame.  Since it's good for the setting, yes, they should blame New Celest.

• SylandraSylandra Join Queue for Mafia Games The Last Mafia Game
    Residual grudges from previous empires are totally a thing, though! Resentment isn't always an emotion steeped in present day logic. Some scars take a few generations to heal. Hallifax existed before it was part of the Celestian empire. Same with Gaudiguch. Celest didn't want them to be independent entities; they wanted them under the umbrella of the empire. If my memory serves (and granted, it may be spotty) Gaudiguch especially didn't join the empire without a fight.

I could see people thinking, "Why are we even doing this for Celest, why not live independently? Why not hoard our own resources and be left alone?" while knowing it would be militarily-speaking futile. It's possible not everyone wanted to serve Emperor Ladantine and Old Celest. It's not something people roleplay much, I think, but it's something I've always thought about.
    Daraius said:
    "Oh yeah, you're a naughty mayor, aren't you? Misfile that Form MA631-D. Comptroller Shevat's got a nice gemstone disc for you, but yer gonna have to beg for it."
  • Sylandra said:

I could see people thinking, "Why are we even doing this for Celest, why not live independently? Why not hoard our own resources and be left alone?" while knowing it would be militarily-speaking futile. It's possible not everyone wanted to serve Emperor Ladantine and Old Celest. It's not something people roleplay much, I think, but it's something I've always thought about.
    You mean like all those people in Texas and California who want to secede?  I agree, yes and yes.  Even so...

• A number of territories were never in the Empire. The Alliance of Forestal Enclaves comes to mind, and it can be argued that the Dwarven Mountain Kingdom was similarly independent.

But it's completely reasonable for orgs to resent (New) Celest for the Taint during the imperial period. The same ideals (For the Light, heal the Basin, need power) that led Ladantine to poke Kethuru runs through the org until now.
    See you in Sapience.
  • I don't think it's comparable to US states, or most modern countries. The cities had their own government and culture and operated their own affairs largely independantly. They had their own treaties, territories and armies, even under the Empire. They operated as vassals, and not any sort of unified country, and there were definitely conflicts between the empire and other vassals.

Further, thousands of years in Lusternia time is less than thousands of years real time. Though even in real life, attitudes can have influence that lasts that long. See the schism between what is now the Roman Catholic Church and the Eastern Orthodox Church for one example.
This discussion has been closed.