m&mf improvement ideas

SynkarinSynkarin Nothing to see here
Hi - 

I want to reach out to the general public. I think m&mf is in a generally good spot at the moment, so I want to see what features and other optimizations the general public would like to see. I encourage you to  post here, or bring up an issue on the github page (https://github.com/m-mf/m-mf/issues)

Some things I'm already going to try and tackle are GMCP Affliction/defense tracking, and potentially making slow-curing priority queues import optimized prios for the situation (IE, if you get sapped, it imports a prio list optimized for sap, same for aeon and retardation.) While those things will be nice, they are either 1)not needed to be effective or 2) scriptable to occur that way. 

I just want to see what other ideas are out there.

PS - m&mf IS open source. Anyone is welcome and even encouraged to make improvements. There may be class-specific issues that need addressed but I don't have access to (for testing purposes) so I'm reluctant to add those items given I can't test them to ensure they work well.

A few items that come to mind with this - medicine bag functionality, Celestian phial functionality, healing optimizations etc.

Hopefully the system is worthwhile and useful to you.

Thanks

Synkarin

Everiine said:
"'Cause the fighting don't stop till I walk in."
-Synkarin's Lament.

Comments

• LuceLuce Fox Populi
    For the class-specific versions, can the AB HERBS check (and the harvester in general) be nixed for classes that don't have access to lowmagic?

And for all versions, it would be nice if a top-level pause started when connecting to the MUD, and carried over (and unpaused) once the login is complete. I know some people do this on their client, but given that mmf tries to queue stances and check herbs before you can put in the pause command, it's a QoL improvement that won't take long to add.

Further, the system continually tries to stance legs until you get leg stancing in combat, I think to the exclusion of all else? Can it be made to respect that you have no stances if you have no stances?
  • SynkarinSynkarin Nothing to see here
    Luce said:
    For the class-specific versions, can the AB HERBS check (and the harvester in general) be nixed for classes that don't have access to lowmagic?

And for all versions, it would be nice if a top-level pause started when connecting to the MUD, and carried over (and unpaused) once the login is complete. I know some people do this on their client, but given that mmf tries to queue stances and check herbs before you can put in the pause command, it's a QoL improvement that won't take long to add.

Further, the system continually tries to stance legs until you get leg stancing in combat, I think to the exclusion of all else? Can it be made to respect that you have no stances if you have no stances?

I actually fixed the herb issue already - it'll be on the next release

There should already be a pause in place during the log-in screen. It should be pausing and automatically unpausing upon successfully logging in. The only time it won't unpause is if you were paused when you qq'd (it'll save the pause state). If this is still happening, I can definitely look at it. 

I'll check out the stance issue.

Everiine said:
    -Synkarin's Lament.
  • I would love it if Triggers/Scripts were better organized. Seems like a pretty big hodge-podge of stuff somehow working together in a working system. Delving through everything within Mudlet is a bit challenging, and not at all hacking friendly. Now, that could simply be that I'm unfamiliar with how the system works, or that I'm in the minority in feeling that it's not organized sanely, but still.

• I'd love to see more color schemes! I think we are limited to six or seven at the moment.
  • EveriineEveriine Wise Old Swordsbird / Brontaur Indianapolis, IN, USA
    Not specifically the system itself, but I'd love to see an updated GUI that takes advantage of m&mf.
    Everiine is a man, and is very manly. This MAN before you is so manly you might as well just gender bend right now, cause he's the manliest man that you ever did see. His manly shape has spurned many women and girlyer men to boughs of fainting. He stands before you in a manly manerific typical man-like outfit which is covered in his manly motto: "I am a man!"

Daraius said: You gotta risk it for the biscuit.

Pony power all the way, yo. The more Brontaurs the better.
  • ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    When you check MMCONFIG <bleh>, and <bleh> isn't an actual choice, it pops up a list of things you can try. Being able to mouse over them and get a short explanation of what they do would be great.

Slightly better psionics handling would be great, including raising multiple defenses on various channel balances.

If you attempt to raise a defense or enchantment, use a healingscroll or cure, or basically anything that doesn't actually work (for instance, your healing scroll decayed), having the system disable it automatically would be useful.
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    Something that Ethelon had in his system that I thought was handy (and I thought this was an ingame feature until I typo'd it and the admin just stared at me), is a diagram/list of exits in the various cubix/prism/orgbix fulcruxes. You'd look in the room, and a list of where each exit leads was shown.
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • AeldraAeldra , using cake powered flight
    I will try and help integrate the new healing into the system once it comes around ( and I hopefully have the time to help out ).

Apart of that, maybe something that I would like to see ( which is pretty minor, but still drives me nuts some days ) is better reaction to things that are plainly missing. To give an example, I left my mount behind for some reason your logged out with VA still on, it'll try -forever- to mount. Same goes, for everything deffed up.

Similarly, I think a better detection that something wasn't cure by a working sip / eat of something would be good. There are those people I've seen being spammed with sip slush because their m&m was slightly out of date and there was a change and they were frantically scrambling to find a way to temporarily turn it off. Those are minor quality of life things that would probably make it easier.

I'll probably think of more and post them when I've scrambled a little more about it. Though, @Synkarin, you brought m&mf back to being actually usable and turning out to be reliable after the overhaul. Thank you for your many hours of work on m&mf and for taking over the maintenance and going towards improving it. :-)
    Avatar / Picture done by the lovely Gurashi.
  • It's entirely a convenience thing but, inheritance on defup configs would be nice.

Like, if I can set a basic one for when I have druidry, which covers most of the things, then when another profile is set up you could base it on an existing one which copies the settings for that, or you can link it to that, which means that if you use like "mmdefup bashing" it does the linked "basic" def up as well as the "bashing" one.

It's something that can be worked around just by flicking through different profiles, but it would be convenient.
  • Talked about tiers priority for sipping a bit before, that'd help with defending against some things like ego/mana kills.

Third party instant kill messages would be handy for the new folks, it's something everyone needs to gather and set up, gathering them is the tricky part for most people, sort of hard 

A simple trigger echo thing for things that are basically instant kill set ups like meteor and 7rubies\timewarp. Kinda how you've already got warnings in for damage bombs like unleash cyclone etc.

A warrior parry system which lets you switch parry and prios depending on what warrior your fighting/general group. Same thing for monks. Like an alias that does purebladeparry or tahetsoparry etc.

• SynkarinSynkarin Nothing to see here

I added a bunch of these to the Issues on the Github. 

I mostly focused on the curing system itself and making sure that it's effective and working (as well as I can make it work at least). Please don't be disheartened if I didn't add your suggestions, it's not that I'm opposed to it, it's more that I'm prioritizing what I personally want to work on.

I again encourage anyone that is interested in contributing and helping to jump in and give it a shot. I'm willing to answer any questions about how the system works (it's complicated but once you get a handle on it, it's actually really nice). 

If you do start working on it, just ignore the gaudiWinButton function....

Everiine said:
    -Synkarin's Lament.
  • LuceLuce Fox Populi
    I commented that one out actually. It was redundant with the northSucks function, anyway.