Negotiations in Hifarae

So, I don't know if this is all that exciting, but probably the longest conversation I've had with anyone so far. @Breandryn and @Everiine are an interesting foil.

<In a cave in Hifarae>

You feel the weight of a hand settle upon your shoulder, along with the sense of being watched.

In an urgent whisper, a woman's voice says, "Are they still there? Did you see them?"

<Later, in the centaur camp>

You greet Domo Tenderhoof with a sincere smile.
Domo Tenderhoof brightens at Lithia's greeting, inclining his head.
Domo Tenderhoof says, "Hello, Lithia! Have you ever seen a centaur pendant?"

Commons of the herd.
Superimposed over this location, an ethereal forest reaches up to the sky. Dense white clouds have spread completely across the sky. An enormous open field stretches out in all directions, ringed at the edges by stout spears decorated with beads and feathers. Hanging promenently from one spear is a leather bag adorned with beads of red and green. Centaurs dot the area, some resting on the grass, others fashioning crafts by small fires, still others refining their skill in archery and battle in a marked out corner of the commons. When a breeze rises, the musty scent of centaur fur mixes with the fragrance of trodden sweetgrass on the field, and a faint scent of smoked cooking can be detected drifting in from the distance. Hackles risen, a fierce timberwolf prowls about here. A female centaur stands calmly here, tail swishing. High Chief Everiine Silvermoon the Wise, Centaur Brother is here.
You see exits leading north, south, and west.

He is a feathered trill and looks like an old, wise bird. Healed scars from battles fought long ago cross the bronze skin of his tall, lithe body suited for flying that is in decent shape for its age, though it lacks the definition of a seasoned warrior and bears quite a few more wrinkles. A cloak of silver feathers tipped in blue covers the two great broad wings that sprout from his back, and similar feathers crown his head with a magnificent, stately crest. Beads and feathered charms woven into the crest, old tribal tokens and ritual fetishes, clink together with every movement. Completing his bird-like appearance are eyes like emeralds that sit slightly recessed on either side of a hawkish nose, and a slight frown pulls on the corners of his mouth. He bears a vivid blue Mark of the Eagle encompassing a dark feather, a swirling orange Mark of the Jaguar, seven tribal stripes, and a tribal Mark of Nintoba. He is wearing an ancient bronze fullplate of the Jaguar, a smooth pearl ring, a frost-touched white rose, 2 squirrel-tailed scabbards, a blood droplet ring, a clear ring, 2 iridescent white rings of twining feathers, a verdant flyer's cloak, a pair of vined forestwalker's boots, 2 etched beryl rings, a light blue coral ring and a rustic patchwork satchel. Tattooed on his fingers is an illustration of totemic animal spirits.

Frowning, High Chief Everiine Silvermoon the Wise, Centaur Brother says to you, "You do not belong here."

You say to Everiine, "Hmm? Why is that?"

Setting his helm on his head, High Chief Everiine Silvermoon the Wise, Centaur Brother says to you, "Your people delight in bringing harm to my brothers and sisters."

Everiine slips into an ancient bronze helm of the Jaguar.

Face crinkling in confusion, you say, "Your... brothers and sisters?"

High Chief Everiine Silvermoon the Wise, Centaur Brother says to you, "The centaurs who live in this camp are my kin. I will protect them with my life."

You say to Everiine, "If you fear their deaths, I have not come to harm anything within the hills."

Nodding, High Chief Everiine Silvermoon the Wise, Centaur Brother says to you, "You can best assure that by leaving them in peace, as I have asked."

Folding her arms across her chest, you say, "They did not ask me to leave. Do you claim to speak on their behalf?"

Pointing down to the hills beyond the camp, High Chief Everiine Silvermoon the Wise, Centaur Brother says to you, "If you must explore the hills, because you are young, do so. But this camp is ground on which you are not welcome. And aye, I do claim to speak on their behalf. I speak as the High Chief of the Serenguard Tribe, which shares a bond of many generations as friends and protectors of the centaurs. I speak as one of the Seren, who have sworn to keep the centaurs in their care. And I speak as the brother of the centaurs, with the voice of their kinship."

You struggle to stay awake as your eyelids shut repeatedly of their own accord.

Allowing her gaze to drift briefly in the direction indicated, you say, "I only came to learn something of this tribe. Do you find this offensive, or do you view the centaur as too weak to defend themselves without the Seren?"

High Chief Everiine Silvermoon the Wise, Centaur Brother says to you, "I find your presence offensive, as I find your people's irrational hatred of these people. The strength of a people is in their kinship, of which I am a part. Now, I have asked you multiple times to leave. If you do not, I will remove you."

Taking a few steps back, you say, "I don't hold any irrational hatred for them, and I only wish to finish exploring the camp before I rest."

With a flourish, Everiine draws a silver Warrior Spirit rapier from a squirrel-tailed scabbard.

Crossing his blades in front of him, High Chief Everiine Silvermoon the Wise, Centaur Brother says to you, "I will not allow that. Turn back, and leave the camp."

You struggle to stay awake as your eyelids shut repeatedly of their own accord.

You are afflicted with sprawled.
You are afflicted with asleep.
Your exhausted mind can stay awake no longer, and you fall into a deep sleep.
(Fell asleep, gg Lithia)

You begin your struggle to escape from the dreamworld.

You open your eyes and yawn mightily.

You cough softly.

You say, "Very well."

You incline your head politely to Everiine.

Everiine inclines his head politely to those around him.

You tug upon the aether strands around you, searching for one that connects to the Master Ravenwood Tree.

Everiine arrives from the east.

Everiine points westwards.

You teleport along the aether strands to the Master Ravenwood Tree.

<Returning later>

With a long, sorrowful sigh echoing off the impassive stone walls, a woman's voice says, "The pendant... have I lost it?"

In a quiet murmur, a woman's voice says, "The promise... I will not forget."

You say, "Pendant."
There is a scuffling of hoofbeats on stone, and the swish of hair whipping through the atmosphere.

Quietly, over your shoulder, a woman's voice says, "You have found it? Please, bring it to me!"

Track among feathered spears.
Superimposed over this location, an ethereal forest reaches up to the sky. It is quite mild. Undulating gently, the dirt track winds its way along the grass covered slope, lined on both sides by sturdy carved spears. A musical clacking arises as the wind blows through the various feathers and charms on the spears, which stand stout and straight like warriors in salute. Up the scented slope to the east, a medium height wall of cultivated gorse marks the boundary of a small centaur settlement. The track climbs its way up to the shrubby wall and dips through a small spear-lined gap 
into the settlement proper. A male centaur stands here solemnly, a noble expression on his face. Breandryn stands here, enrobed in an array of swirling, autumnal leaves. High Chief Everiine Silvermoon the Wise, Centaur Brother is here. He wields a silver Warrior Spirit rapier in each hand.
You see exits leading east and down.

Breandryn gives an urchin-like cup cake to you.

High Chief Everiine Silvermoon the Wise, Centaur Brother asks you, "Did I not make myself clear when you were last here?"

Breandryn hands a second cupcake over, this one to Everiine.

You say to Breandryn, "Thank you. I have a question."

Breandryn points accusingly at Everiine.

Smiling, Breandryn says, "High Chief Everiine likely knows the answer. He is wise and knows a great many things."

Lithia murmurs under her breath, "Not that he'll likely answer.." Glancing warily to Everiine, she says, "I have a question."

Helpfully, Breandryn says to you, "Maybe you should give him cake."

Folding his arms, but keeping his blades in his hands, High Chief Everiine Silvermoon the Wise, Centaur Brother says to you, "Ask it, then depart. This is the only time I will say it."

"Cake makes everything just a little bit better," Breandryn happily muses to herself, apparently oblivious to the confrontational element of the conversation.

Taking a deep breath, you say, "Who is the woman asking about pendants? I figured you might know, since you live here."

She is a nimble faeling wild demigoddess and is all angular elbows and knees with a hungry, waifish build, her scrawny arms and gangly legs giving her an awkward, coltish demeanor, the impression heightened by her rather tall (for a Faeling) height, hitting four feet high if she stretches tall. Long hair tangles about her face in a dark cloud, the sooty shade contrasting sharply with her pale skin. Highlighting this pairing, a thick band of charcoal paint rakes across her face, outlining slightly-too-large blue eyes in a dark smudge. A set of bat-like, leathery wings unfolds behind her, 
membranes translucent and tinted with swirling purples and blues in the stained-glass patterning of a butterfly. Bits of antler, beads and feathers have been woven through her hair, while trinkets and talismans hang from her neck, wrist and waist, softly clicking and clacking with each step. Foremost among her trinkets on display is a curious feather, its barbs delicate silken strands which graze her cheek with errant breezes. She is wearing a wolf's snout, 8 twining herbal rings, an antlered forestal headdress, a feral, fang-and-fur-trimmed hunting suit, a silver crown of leaves, a camouflaged hunting cloak, a conical, nexus headdress, 2 round escutcheon brooches, a colourful bracelet of woven threads, an entrancing red rose, a rugged, fur-lined leather pack and fur-lined knee-high moccasin boots. She walks with the truefavour of Darvellan.

A hint of sorrow crossing his face, High Chief Everiine Silvermoon the Wise, Centaur Brother says to you, "She is a sister from the recent past, whose passing is still felt keenly and deeply by some of the centaurs here."

Breandryn studies you with interest as she speaks, wings absently flapping behind her. "You look a bit like me," she remarks, mostly to herself. "Just smaller and prettier and probably your wings behave."

Lithia starts to respond to Everiine, but her eyes light up, and she turns to Breandryn instead. "Yes, you look quite like a faeling. More similar to me than I would have thought. And thank you." To Everiine, she continues, watching him carefully, "Then you might not object if I was to help her somehow?"

Shaking his head, High Chief Everiine Silvermoon the Wise, Centaur Brother says to you, "I would object, because to do so would require you to spend considerable time here in this camp."

Breandryn beams in pleasure at the reply and skips backwards a step, wings hummingbird-beating to propel her up a half-foot.

Breandryn's attention finally focuses on the two of you more fully as she catches up with the conversation. Confused, she asks Everiine, "High Chief, if help happens, why does the source matter?"

Expression falling, Lithia sways in her step at the edge of the camp. "But... it would be counter-productive to hurt the centaurs in this task, wouldn't it?"

Resolute, High Chief Everiine Silvermoon the Wise, Centaur Brother says, "It would also require traveling through the Serenwilde. And whatever you may think about my stance on Wyrdfolk in the Hifarae Hills, it is Seren law that Wyrdfolk are absolutely forbidden from our woods."

Breandryn's eyes widen and she nods in agreement with Everiine. "Not allowed inside," she echoes. "Everyone shouts and yells and chases you out."

Tapping her chin thoughtfully, you say, "Perhaps Breandryn might do that part for me?"

Breandryn blinks, pointing at herself in surprise.

Lithia nods her head eagerly at Breandryn.

Scowling, High Chief Everiine Silvermoon the Wise, Centaur Brother says, "You are testing my patience. I suppose you could con a Seren into doing some of the legwork for you. I would still disapprove. You have no business in these hills or in this camp."

Breandryn looks at Everiine with an uncertain expression. he hasn't answered her question, and she remains silent, waiting for his thoughts on the matter. When he does speak, she takes a step back, standing herself closer to him and giving you an apologetic shrug.

Breandryn gives a short gasp of elation.

Breandryn says, "Oh!"

Breandryn says, "Bye!"

Breandryn thanks Everiine profusely.

Breandryn waves goodbye at you.

Breandryn spreads her arms wide, and the air between her hands begins to warp and twist, dancing with brilliant multicoloured light as she bores a hole through the fabric of the planes.

A swirling gateway of brilliant light pierces the air before Breandryn, boring a hole through the very fabric of the planes. Breandryn ascends confidently through the rotating gate, which shimmers and snaps shut behind her.

Sighing, you say, "I only want to help... she sounds so sad."

High Chief Everiine Silvermoon the Wise, Centaur Brother says to you, "It is the reality of the world that the individual is judged by the actions of her people. I have lived many long years and seen many Wyrdfolk come to these hills explicitly to harm the inhabitants. Brother Crow tells them that they must, and so they do, for their own gain. Your people actively teach that the centaurs are to be hunted, including the colts, and do not hesitate to capture them for their own purposes. It is this legacy that follows you whenever you enter these hills."

Insistently, you say to Everiine, "But I promise I won't! Is there no possibility to judge the individual first, rather than the group?"

High Chief Everiine Silvermoon the Wise, Centaur Brother asks you, "How can I trust a promise made by one of a people who delight in trickery and deception?"

You say to Everiine, "If you never did, it would be to say that mortals cannot change, and that we all think the same. Has everyone from Serenwilde always done as they promised, and no one from Glomdoring ever done differently than what you expected?"

High Chief Everiine Silvermoon the Wise, Centaur Brother asks you, "If one of my people entered your woods with blades drawn, how would you respond?"

Raising an eyebrow, you say, "I would assume that they came to attack... but I have not threatened you, nor your people."

High Chief Everiine Silvermoon the Wise, Centaur Brother says to you, "So without even getting to know them, talking to them, or learning about them, you would assume that they are there to cause you harm. They may have never encountered your woods before. They may only be interested in the trees or wildlife. But immediately, you would treat them like an enemy." He shakes his head. "Yet you insist I treat you unfairly when you do the same. You have come to this camp a second time with your weapon out, the very same action you would consider hostile. And your people in these hills have the same reputation as my people in your woods."

You say to Everiine, "This is not Serenwilde, and I have only an instrument that I always carry. I would not assume that a Seren carrying a lute was necessarily a threat."

With a shrug, you say, "Besides, as you have spoken to me, and know why I am here, it would not be the same situation, aye?"

High Chief Everiine Silvermoon the Wise, Centaur Brother says to you, "Then you would be foolish, for a lute in the hands of a Spiritsinger is as dangerous as a blade in the hands of a Serenguard. And this is not the Serenwilde, no. But it is the home of my kin, and I will stand in defense of it and them."

High Chief Everiine Silvermoon the Wise, Centaur Brother says to you, "I have spoken with you. It does not mean that I trust you."

You say to Everiine, "Helping a centaur would seem a reasonable means of gaining trust... if you let me."

High Chief Everiine Silvermoon the Wise, Centaur Brother says to you, "If that is how you truly feel, then let the ghost of my sister rest--she is beyond your help. You can help the people of this camp by strengthening the Veil that protects them instead."

Sways again on her heels as she considers the words, you say, "How?"

High Chief Everiine Silvermoon the Wise, Centaur Brother says to you, "If you are doing this to earn my trust, then I am not going to help. I will grant you access to the camp for you to ask around and figure it out." He bores into you with an intense, deeply distrusting stare. "But should I witness or hear of any harm brought to my kin by you, you will find no place safe from our wrath. Am I clear?"

Eyes lighting up, Lithia nods and claps her hands together once. "Of course! I agree."

Already regretting his decision Everiine waves his hand and steps out of the way. "Then on with you," he says.

With a hum, Lithia skips off to the east.

Comments

• Oh, sorry I had to go! I had remembered you from the revolt and thought you seemed nice. I also had no idea you had come in there, so it was nice to meet you! That was cool of Everiine to make that agreement with you. It's really intriguing how his history is told almost geographically - every spot I come across Everiine seems to hold significance to him, and it's really fun to learn more about his history obliquely through quiet elements like that.
  • XenthosXenthos Shadow Lord
    Everiine has never tried to chase me away from the centaurs... hmph.
  • RancouraRancoura the Last Nightwreathed Queen Canada
    Ilistala is clearly a tad more intimidating, @Xenthos, have you seen how big her teeth and claws are? If it were just you alone, however... ;)

Tonight amidst the mountaintops
    And endless starless night
    Singing how the wind was lost
    Before an earthly flight

• EveriineEveriine Wise Old Swordsbird / Brontaur Indianapolis, IN, USA
    edited October 2016
    Xenthos said:
    Everiine has never tried to chase me away from the centaurs... hmph.
    Wait now, I feel like I have! I distinctly remember racing against you, trying to raise the Veil, not knowing you were looking over my shoulder and waiting to pounce on a quest object as soon as it dropped. That's actually the reason I habitually check WHO HERE and SCAN when I'm doing certain quests, to make sure it doesn't happen again.

Ev can only chase people out when I know they're there, and that's always the problem--he can't keep watch 24/7. So many people get in there to cause trouble and I don't even know it :) .

@Lithia just got unlucky, since I was already in the Hills when she got there. So it made it easy to track and try to chase her away. I was actually there because my bug for the Domo quest was marked as resolved, but alas, I discovered it was still bugged.
    Everiine is a man, and is very manly. This MAN before you is so manly you might as well just gender bend right now, cause he's the manliest man that you ever did see. His manly shape has spurned many women and girlyer men to boughs of fainting. He stands before you in a manly manerific typical man-like outfit which is covered in his manly motto: "I am a man!"

Daraius said: You gotta risk it for the biscuit.

Pony power all the way, yo. The more Brontaurs the better.
  • EveriineEveriine Wise Old Swordsbird / Brontaur Indianapolis, IN, USA
    Breandryn said:
    Oh, sorry I had to go! I had remembered you from the revolt and thought you seemed nice. I also had no idea you had come in there, so it was nice to meet you! That was cool of Everiine to make that agreement with you. It's really intriguing how his history is told almost geographically - every spot I come across Everiine seems to hold significance to him, and it's really fun to learn more about his history obliquely through quiet elements like that.
    Huh, you know, I never thought of it that way. But you're right, a great deal of his history is told through geography.
    Everiine is a man, and is very manly. This MAN before you is so manly you might as well just gender bend right now, cause he's the manliest man that you ever did see. His manly shape has spurned many women and girlyer men to boughs of fainting. He stands before you in a manly manerific typical man-like outfit which is covered in his manly motto: "I am a man!"

Daraius said: You gotta risk it for the biscuit.

Pony power all the way, yo. The more Brontaurs the better.
  • Breandryn said:
    Oh, sorry I had to go! I had remembered you from the revolt and thought you seemed nice. I also had no idea you had come in there, so it was nice to meet you! That was cool of Everiine to make that agreement with you. It's really intriguing how his history is told almost geographically - every spot I come across Everiine seems to hold significance to him, and it's really fun to learn more about his history obliquely through quiet elements like that.
    I did? Did we speak during the revolt? I mean, you do seem nice, but all I remember of the revolt was trying to find people to follow around and not get killed. And failing both, for the most part.
  • Everiine said:

@Lithia just got unlucky, since I was already in the Hills when she got there. So it made it easy to track and try to chase her away. I was actually there because my bug for the Domo quest was marked as resolved, but alas, I discovered it was still bugged.
    Yeah, I found all the locations and bugged it myself.
  • Lithia said:
    Breandryn said:
    I did? Did we speak during the revolt? I mean, you do seem nice, but all I remember of the revolt was trying to find people to follow around and not get killed. And failing both, for the most part.
    We didn't, but I remember seeing that you were small/new (and thus someone Brea knew she could beat) and liking your description. Good descriptions make me curious to learn more about the person :)
    edited October 2016
    I certainly don't remember that, though I guess it is possible!  I have had Sondayga and Rivius and others try to stop me that I do recall. It often ended with Crow Trickster and centaur steaks (I bet Rivius has never admitted to Everiine that he has eaten multiple centaur steaks with obvious gusto).

Edit: Annnd this is the post that earned me the 5k comments badge.  Huh.  Lots of posts.
  • That steak is evil!
    Hey, I only delivered it to you; I did not stuff it in your mouth!
  • Fine. Correction: that steak is evil and has the potential for further heights of evil, depending on its method of ingestion.
  • ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    Xenthos said:

Edit: Annnd this is the post that earned me the 5k comments badge.  Huh.  Lots of posts.
    Slacker.
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • RancouraRancoura the Last Nightwreathed Queen Canada
    I am quite jealous of that phone font (assuming the url is your default phone font). 

Tonight amidst the mountaintops
    And endless starless night
    Singing how the wind was lost
    Before an earthly flight

• ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    Thanks!  I want to say it's called "Rosewood", but I can't for the life of me remember how to check.
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
    Hey, I'm just posting for one, not an entire army. :)