DIY or DIE!

Carrying this idea over from the old MKO forums. 

Do you craft? sew? make messes that sometimes look kinda cool?
Show off your pics here! it's like Lusternia Pinterest!

Comments

• This is the thread I never knew I needed until now.
    (clan): Falmiis says, "Aramelise, verb, 1. adorn with many flowers."
  • edited November 2016

My DIY griefer/studying standing desk.  I wanted to mount the pipes directly to the wall, but my weird ass German building doesn't have any studs (made of cinder blocks hidden behind like 4 inches of insulation/plaster), so I had to build this weird wooden frame to mount it on.

Desk height and angle is adjustable! The laptop mount swivels also. :smiley:

It's still a work in progress.  I need to stain all the wood, polish/oil the pipes and cut that strut and attach it flush with the rest of the frame.  It's functional as is though!
    Take great care of yourselves and each other.
  • RancouraRancoura the Last Nightwreathed Queen Canada
    How did I not know this existed in the modern world as a hobby. That is absolutely gorgeous work, @Aramel. Is the text itself handwritten, or printed through other means?

Tonight amidst the mountaintops
    And endless starless night
    Singing how the wind was lost
    Before an earthly flight

• @Rancoura There's a flourishing online community of hobbyists who geek out over paper! It's great.

The text is printed on a normal laser printer, though with short-grain paper - paper is directional and will fold well in one direction and not well in the perpendicular direction, so this is basically paper that's been cut the other way so as to fold nicely if you make it a booklet.

It actually is possible to handwrite blackletter with the right type of nib, which I have, but I wasn't ready to go quite that medieval, since I screw up the leafing a lot (not shown here: failed attempts) and it would have been deeply frustrating to mess up a handwritten page. Medieval scribes must literally have had the patience of saints.
    (clan): Falmiis says, "Aramelise, verb, 1. adorn with many flowers."
  • Finally got this coat done. I hope people can see the details as it's all black 
    @Lysistrata So pretty! Do want. Love the corset touch at the back!

Before an earthly flight

I wish I had something to contribute to this thread. I used to make jewellery out of spare bits, but nothing I'm overly fond of now. I mean, I do have a makeshift wild-staff that I made for a movie trailer I was shooting for a class, but it is literally just a long wooden pole with twigs and dried vines tied to it with twine. :/

Before an earthly flight

• edited November 2016
    @aramel - one of my best pals is a professional bookbinder. She's had exhibits of her creative work and also does restorations on old manuscripts. There are real life guilds for that stuff! She owns a printing press what! So cool. I'm happy to connect you two if you want - she's always excited to meet more bookbinders.