Which Crates Are You Getting?

edited October 2017 in Common Grounds
ANNOUNCE NEWS #2660
Date: 11/1/2016 at 0:10
To  : Everyone
Subj: Promotional Crate Month and Introducing Tailoring Aethergoop!

This month, we are offering promotional crates for direct sale on the
website! There are two types of crates available: (1) solstice crates
where you can receive dingbats, presents OR aethergoop (amount of
aethergoop increased to 5,000 aethergoop), and (2) wonder crates which
contain wonder crystals AND presents. To purchase any of these crates,
go to: https://www.lusternia.com/Credits

----------

For clarity, this is half the announce post - the other half relates to the tailoring aethergoop items. Second, bear in mind that Solstice crates cost $19.99US, whereas a Wonder crate costs $24.99. So, which crates are going to get you tapping dat plastic this month? EDIT - for further clarity, the wonder crate contains ONE wonder gem and TWO divinely-wrapped presents. If anybody is able to clarify whether/how these differ from normal presents that would be awesome.

Comments

• KarlachKarlach God of Kittens.
    The solstice crates look amazing, but I promised smarter, rational me that handles the budget to skip this month.

The divine voice of Avechna, the Avenger reverberates powerfully, "Congratulations, Morkarion, you are the Bringer of Death indeed."

You see Estarra the Eternal shout, "Morkarion is no more! Mourn the mortal! But welcome True Ascendant Karlach, of the Realm of Death!

• edited November 2016
    I bought some of each

Just to compare it to normal credit prices
    75 Credits for $29.99 or 
    50 Credits$19.99

So like the second crate gets you 1 wonder crystal for $24.99 and two presents. You can probably buy/sell the wondercrystal for 80ish credits. So you get the crystal cheaper with this crate plus two presents as a bonus. So its straight up better to get the crate than buying credits if you factor in just the crystal and on top of that you may get lucky and get something nice in the two presents.

Or 19.99 for the other crate which gets you:
    5000 aethergoop OR 50 dingbats OR 50 Czigany coins OR 15 presents.

5000 goop, which is worth 250 credits if you are buying goop artifacts or like maybe 200 credits if your selling it cheapish. So that's a straight up win there.

Same for the coins, 50 coins got me like 7k goop so again straight up win vs 50 credits.
    Same for the presents I got way way more credits, items and goop than 50(Not worked out exactly how much yet I've been lazy)
    The worst one is if you get 50 dbs but well thats 50 dbs for 19.99 compared to 50 credits for 19.999 so you can always sell them on to break even.

The Crate of Solstice Cheer seems like its got the greater chance of giving you more stuff but well you could get unlucky and just break evenish.

I think I'd prefer to take the Solstice crate over any other crate though.
  • edited November 2016
    I bought two solstice crates last time and got double-dingalings. You wanted to see me flip tables. ETA: I later used those dingalings to buy a mechanical spur, so not much to complain about there ;)
  • LuceLuce Fox Populi
    15 presents, amounting to just over 10k goop thanks to an ult dropping ~9100

I'm not gonna complain about 500 free credits, nosirree
  • I got a solstice crate because I was tempted (even though my original resolution was to stop spending money on Lusternia to force myself to write more for in-game rewards) but then I got dingbats and was sad.
    (clan): Falmiis says, "Aramelise, verb, 1. adorn with many flowers."
  • Yeah, for anybody who's on the fence, you might want to take your present counter into consideration!
  • I got about 31500 goop and 200 or so credits worth of trade in from my 5 crates. I did get lucky and got 2x coin, 2x goop and 1x present. My present counter was only at 29 to begin with though, which is still in lots of standard presents territory.

The wonder crates are similar in value to buying credits during a wondercrystal promo. I'd roughly estimate the average payout of a present in the long run, taking into account the present counter, to be in the 300 goop region. Someone could probably model this and show how far off I really am though.

Solstice crates suck if you get dingbat and are a big win the other 75% of the time. 50 dingbats aren't terrible, but at 1:1 it'd be like buying 50 credits without any promo which isn't very good value. At 20:1 the goop is just straight up better than buying credits even with the wondercrystal promo, which I consider to be effectively a 2-for-1 since crystals generally return to around 100 credits. 15 presents will probably net you more in goop than a straight goop pull plus a few other things that you can trade in for credits or dingbats like dolls or curio packs, but how much you can expect to get from them will depend on your present counter. 50 coins will very likely get you more than 5000 goop. Wheel spins don't seem to pay out as well as they used to in terms of large arties like runes that you can keep or trade in and are definitely a lot less exciting, but they are a lot more consistent.
  • have the 5 crate packages always been a 1 dollar discount than buying individually?
  • Kalaneya said:
    have the 5 crate packages always been a 1 dollar discount than buying individually?
    Yes. It was a semi-troll move on Estarra's part when the crates first came out years ago and someone commented on there not being a discount for buying the 5 pack over the 1.
  • Ayisdra said:
    Kalaneya said:
    have the 5 crate packages always been a 1 dollar discount than buying individually?
    Yes. It was a semi-troll move on Estarra's part when the crates first came out years ago and someone commented on there not being a discount for buying the 5 pack over the 1.
    Consider me trolled.
  • 50 coins gave me ~7500 goop, a wheel blessing (50 boundies), and 50 credits worth of crap (e.g., dolls, curios, pins). And, of course, the mandatory TFs and clover crits for the next 5 million days.

In your face, Jeremy.
  • LavinyaLavinya Queen of Snark Australia
    crates are my biggest weakness, seriously. I want to buy so many but hnnnnnnng my poor credit card.

• AeldraAeldra , using cake powered flight
    Lavinya said:
    crates are my biggest weakness, seriously. I want to buy so many but hnnnnnnng my poor credit card.
    Probably could make a clan 'crate addicts anonymous' and have a lot of people join <.<
    Avatar / Picture done by the lovely Gurashi.
  • Aeldra said:
    Lavinya said:
    Probably could make a clan 'crate addicts anonymous' and have a lot of people join <.<
    This may be the best idea I've yet seen on these forums.
  • edited November 2016
    I bought 3 of the regular ones, got 30 presents and 50 dingbats. Finally upgraded my demesne rune and got the one artifact I've always wanted with lots left to spare. Best haul I've ever had, maybe on next pay I'll grab a couple more and test my luck.

Avurekhos says, "Dylara's a PvP menace in my eyes, totes rekting face."

The eye of Dylara materialises in your hands and flings itself around your neck, tightening incomprehensibly until it is irremovable.
    Perfectly clean, this eyeball has been wrenched from the socket of Dylara. It has been animated by some unusual force, constantly looking around itself as if in shock or fear. It is bathed in a light covering of white flames that roll endlessly over its surface. A single chain of empyreal metal pierces either side of the eye, allowing it to be worn around the neck.

• ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    Bought two solstice crates. Both were presents, ended up with 6k goop, two pins, two dolls, two beepbeeps, and a small resistance rune. Ended up trading it all in, including the 6k goop, for two damage buff runes totaling 300 credits. Not bad.
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • Bought 5 crates.
    3x5000 goop
    1x50 dingbats
    1x50 coins

End result after spins:
    24000 goop
    1 doll
    3 kikikoru reagents
    99 dingbats

Bought some goop artifacts. Not sure if I came out ahead or not.