Tweets VII: Tweet Child of Mine

Comments

• I've batphoned people in for flares. Sue me.
  • Well yeah, deriding people for wanting to participate in funsternia is the other side of the ridiculous.  But I'm trying to take it one step at a time.

First step: Realize that you shouldn't tell us what we're doing when you don't have a clue.

Second step: Don't get mad at people for logging in and playing the game with you.

With time, I hope we can bring @Karlach to the light.
    Take great care of yourselves and each other.
  • So ... Psure this is my first post. But uh, just wanted to explain the random like of a post. I'm not taking sides with anyone in this thread. Or maybe I am. I don't know, I haven't really read it. I just liked the post. Honestly, who fucking cares? It happens with every game, everywhere, even not on computers. I once(only once) played a game of football(American). When teams were uneven they called people to make teams bigger. Also .. I don't know why I'm posting. I just don't understand why people really give a shit about it.
  • NeosNeos The Subtle Griefer
    Veyils said:
    Ok I think the lesson we all need to take is that we need to stop telling Lavinya when Morgfyre is around.

Or even we should start hiding him when she comes along. She can be all like "Omg I thought I saw Morgfyre here!" and then we'll be all nonchalant while he's hiding behind the sofa.
    We don't even need that big of a sofa.
    Love gaming? Love gaming stuff? Sign up for Lootcrate and get awesome gaming items. Accompanying video.

Signature!

Celina said:
    You can't really same the same, can you?
    Zvoltz said:
    "The Panthron"
  • LavinyaLavinya Queen of Snark Australia
    Veyils said:
    Ok I think the lesson we all need to take is that we need to stop telling Lavinya when Morgfyre is around.

Or even we should start hiding him when she comes along. She can be all like "Omg I thought I saw Morgfyre here!" and then we'll be all nonchalant while he's hiding behind the sofa.
    OMG @Veyils stop being such a griefer!  :'(

• KarlachKarlach God of Kittens.
    edited November 2016
    Taking Phoebus' advice, all I'll say is I don't believe certain people and their story and leave it there.

Instead I want to explain my objection to batphoning, and the attitudes I've seen it create both with people I've played alongside and against.

Warning. It's long. If you want a TLDR, tough.

Yes sometimes you don't have the numbers to do what you want, and that sucks. I know, I've been there. But the minute you decide you want to metagame and use out of game communication to either equal (or gain advantage) in numbers you enter an arms race. If you do it, so can the people you go against.

When I last played I was in a Glom skype channel and made it clear I never wanted to be alerted to in game events or pushed to log on, unless it was a divine run event (they put a lot of work into their stuff and it should be enjoyed by everyone) I also made it clear I'd never be mentioning when things are ongoing in game, except said divine events ongoing.

If people want to play, they'll log in. If they aren't interested they won't be, now that you can afk in your manse for eternity (or till your connection bottoms out) there's no reason to not be around if you really want to find out when a fight is brewing.

I was witnessing a really unpleasant atmosphere where people were being made to feel like they had to log online, that if they didn't come to this domoth/raid/revolt/whatever else they were letting others down and that they weren't contributing (Side note, if you're one of those people that acts like you are the only people doing anything because you log in and fight, stop. You're only going to make people want to log in less so they don't have to deal with you.) I was listening to friend and foe speak ill of other players because they didn't feel obliged to log in and do something because of some event beyond their control.

People weren't asking these people to come online because they wanted to play with them and have fun, they were telling them to come online because they wanted to win.

I refused to get involved in the culture because I didn't want to contribute to that end. Watching fights not happen because one side suddenly gained a large influx of numbers that weren't previously there didn't make the game fun for anyone, because almost no one is going to run into an obvious suicide mission designed to win and farm kills while patting each other on the back about how amazing they are.

And no, none of this is aimed at one org, or one side. It has happened everywhere at some point, and I don't like it regardless.

Now what I've always been fine with is asking people in game "Hey. Planning this later, you gonna be around?" or "This event is this weekend, you free?" No obligations and a way to try and get a rough headcount of what you have available. Which is why I like the idea Sidd have of having a gamewide channel, not restricted to an org or a side, where things can be planned for everyone to get their PK rocks on. Personally I hope it works, I'm certainly interested in using it for things once the lag affecting larger battles is resolved.

But you could raid Glom tomorrow, murder the Avatars, kill Crow, chop every last elder and godknows what else you think of doing and if I'm not logged in and someone tries to get in touch with me to tell me to log on right there and then to help, they'll get told to sod off.

The divine voice of Avechna, the Avenger reverberates powerfully, "Congratulations, Morkarion, you are the Bringer of Death indeed."

You see Estarra the Eternal shout, "Morkarion is no more! Mourn the mortal! But welcome True Ascendant Karlach, of the Realm of Death!

edited November 2016
    Shedrin said:
    Karlach said:
    Taking Phoebus' advice, all I'll say is I don't believe certain people and their story and leave it there.

[A bunch of stuff]
    That's the opposite of her advice.
    I didn't write an angry reply, or quote people and continue the discussion, just stated my position and left it, as opposed to harp on at them till the end of time about this incident.

Edit: I even wrote a whole reply first responding to individuals and deleted it.

The rest of the post was my experiences and objection to batphoning in general, and why I really like Sidd's idea.

The divine voice of Avechna, the Avenger reverberates powerfully, "Congratulations, Morkarion, you are the Bringer of Death indeed."

You see Estarra the Eternal shout, "Morkarion is no more! Mourn the mortal! But welcome True Ascendant Karlach, of the Realm of Death!

• MaligornMaligorn Windborne
    edited November 2016
    I don't really care about batphoning and the ethics of batphoning, whether it's beneficial or detrimental to the game or if there's a positive way to use it. I'm more concerned that you're so absolutely certain that I was batphoned on my Thanksgiving break, at 9ish AM CST, when I saw the flux the day before and knew where the dormancies would end. I'm also concerned by things like "You'll obviously forgive me if I am skeptical of your story" or "I just don't believe certain people and their stories". Your rhetoric is dripping with self-righteousness and arrogance, and it's really troubling to me that you have some twisted expectation of how myself and my friends behave.

"I get you guys don't like people calling you out on lame tactics, because it makes you look worse than you'd like to perceive you are, but tough. You do it, own up to it."

...we didn't do anything, so we're not going to own up to anything. That's pretty much the bottom line. I hope you are mature enough to admit that your accusations are completely groundless, especially when you are so completely out of touch with the PK environment these days and given the facts of the situation.

• Death to Plague Bearers.  

Avurekhos says, "Dylara's a PvP menace in my eyes, totes rekting face."

The eye of Dylara materialises in your hands and flings itself around your neck, tightening incomprehensibly until it is irremovable.
    Perfectly clean, this eyeball has been wrenched from the socket of Dylara. It has been animated by some unusual force, constantly looking around itself as if in shock or fear. It is bathed in a light covering of white flames that roll endlessly over its surface. A single chain of empyreal metal pierces either side of the eye, allowing it to be worn around the neck.

• If someone was doing it multiple times at the Matrix I'd start throwing out cdfs.
  • LuceLuce Fox Populi
    I'd start throwing out the offenders >.>
  • KaimanahiKaimanahi The One True Queen
    lol batphooones. Back in my daaaay, there was a player who created a script to literally send a message to the player's own mobile if there was a flare, revolt, domoth, etc. happening. There were also scripts to reliably check what players were currently logged in, through completely OOC means. Those were the daaays.
  • XenthosXenthos Shadow Lord
    Kaimanahi said:
    lol batphooones. Back in my daaaay, there was a player who created a script to literally send a message to the player's own mobile if there was a flare, revolt, domoth, etc. happening. There were also scripts to reliably check what players were currently logged in, through completely OOC means. Those were the daaays.
    That topic was so last hour.  We're ranting about plagues now!
  • That player? Kelly.
  • SynkarinSynkarin Nothing to see here
    Karlach said:

When I last played I was in a Glom skype channel and made it clear I never wanted to be alerted to in game events or pushed to log on, unless it was a divine run event (they put a lot of work into their stuff and it should be enjoyed by everyone) I also made it clear I'd never be mentioning when things are ongoing in game, except said divine events ongoing.

I read this as I'm against batphoning unless it's something I personally approve of because it's shitty when I don't approve of it, but a-ok when I do. 

No one should ever feel compelled to log in if they don't want to, but that's an entire other dynamic than what you're complaining about (and I think your complaint is so far off base to reality anyways). If people want to be batphoned in, let them. There's literally zero difference between afking in a manse waiting for something to happen and doing something else waiting for something to happen except the logged in part.

Everiine said:
    "'Cause the fighting don't stop till I walk in."
    -Synkarin's Lament.
    Synkarin said:
    Karlach said:

I read this as I'm against batphoning unless it's something I personally approve of because it's shitty when I don't approve of it, but a-ok when I do. 

Then you weren't reading it, clearly.

You can call people in for all sorts of things, PK, events, bashing, aether hunts, RP, theater work. Nowhere did I say it's shitty if people choose to do it for those.

I personally choose not to, with that one exception.

But of course you knew that, and you're just looking for an argument.

• Irillia said:
    I'm sure all this PK stuff is very interesting, but let us take a moment to focus upon the important issue at hand here: My e-grandson got e-married and didn't even invite his e-great-grandma to attend the ceremony! The nerve!

@Falmiis, you are now slightly less my favorite great-grandson. You are hereby grounded for a month and have to rake the rock garden in Erudio every day, and it has to be perfect. I also expect high-quality great-great-grandbabies in the future. Only the best great-great-grandbabies.

(<3 Falmiis and Aramel, I hope you post the wedding log!)
    Time for a mutiny.
  • Man I thought I was good at complaining. I think I'll have to cede my title.
    There was no batphoning, unless you mean coordinating events hours before they occur. In that case I suppose we did. 
    (I'm the mom of Hallifax btw, so if you are in Hallifax please call me mom.)

== Professional Girl Gamer == 
    Yes I play games
    Yes I'm a girl
    get over it
  • ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    Life hasn't given me any lemons lately, but I bet I could get some amazing lemonaid from squeezing Maligorn's online superiority complex.
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • wouldn't it be way too salty though? (J/K I love you all)
  • Shaddus said:
    Life hasn't given me any lemons lately, but I bet I could get some amazing lemonaid from squeezing Maligorn's online superiority complex.
    Image result for low quality bait

This discussion has been closed.