Solstice Stockings 2016

FalaeronFalaeron Jolteon
edited December 2016 in Common Grounds
So, solstice stockings. Inside each stocking is 3 genie curios (changed from tailoring curios), 2 coins (down from 3 last year) and either 1 present or 1 wakabidrome ticket. Last year, coins and presents were both very exciting because you never knew what you'd get but this year it all feels very predictable. On the wheel itself, just from my experience spinning it pre-goop change and post-goop change, the chance of getting a smaller artifact like a vial rune feels much smaller now. Presents are also mostly goop too.

Part of the excitement I got from receiving a stocking was that I really didn't know what I'd get. Now it looks like the expected result is just going to be a bit of goop, another bit of goop and probably a third bit of goop, which doesn't seem very exciting at all. As someone thinking about buying some to hang for people this year, I don't think I'd be very excited to hear what the people I hang them for get from them either.

Edit: Also, there's nothing stopping me from just gifting people a bunch of goop now, either, so this just seems like a roundabout/rng-reliant way of doing it.

Anyone else feel the same way?

Comments

• FalaeronFalaeron Jolteon
    edited December 2016
    Oh, as an additional thought, some of us have a lot of goop and all of the goop arties we want. If this is what most of your promotions are going to be please open up more arties for purchase through goop.
  • XenthosXenthos Shadow Lord
    Can't you sell goop?  Or is there just not a market for it?  I'd think people would want to buy it for cubixes and cameos and the like, but I almost never see it being advertised... do people just not really know about it (or do the numbers just seem so high that nobody wants to try)?
  • The market isn't really there. I think it's a combination of the people who can afford the big ticket goop artifacts already have them and those who can't just aren't able to afford it because they're still going to have to get near 2k credits worth of goop to get that cubix.

I mean at worse it's still 30 goop:1 bound credit if you just trade in arties you buy with goop, but it's also very unefficient.
  • XenthosXenthos Shadow Lord
    Falmiis said:
    The market isn't really there. I think it's a combination of the people who can afford the big ticket goop artifacts already have them and those who can't just aren't able to afford it because they're still going to have to get near 2k credits worth of goop to get that cubix.

I mean at worse it's still 30 goop:1 bound credit if you just trade in arties you buy with goop, but it's also very unefficient.
    Well, I don't have a cameo.  I'm slowly saving up for it at ~50 goop per day.  I've just not felt a desire to actually try to make it faster because I don't even really need / want a cameo (else I'd have long-since bought one), so it's not worth squandering other resources.  I can just take the long view.

Maybe the issue for people not-like-me is that they don't really have a good way of generating goop without investing resources (need to buy maps, genies, or traps).  The only "free" option to generate goop are quest curios, and that's an extraordinarily slow way of going about things.  So if the only way you have to get the goop-items is to trade for it, then you might as well just save your resources and buy it directly.

Perhaps we need a way for people who haven't invested to get 10 non-tradeable goop or something a day.  You're never getting a big-ticket item with that, really, but it would "prime the pump" so to speak.  You have goop, if you want to use it, it'd be good to spend some gold to buy more and get something you want.

That could also be what the consumable goop-scarves are supposed to do, but they have the downside of being... consumable.  And doesn't change that people who haven't invested can't really work towards goop collection.
  • edited December 2016
    Shuyin said:
    Can you guys just tell me what the solstice arties are gonna do, purchasing decisions depend on that!
    Ditto
  • Idea:
    Allow using goop to get a random non-goop present result. Price TBD.
  • I agree that everything being goop goop goop OR slightly more goop is kind of boring. I think the chance of getting goop from presents is too high.

That said, I am super excited to do stockings anyway, because they are like e-hugs, and the influx of genie bits means I may actually finish my set.
    #NoWireHangersEver

Vive l'apostrophe!
  • Shedrin said:
    Idea:
    Allow using goop to get a random non-goop present result. Price TBD.

Hmm take goop out of presents totally and make all presents gift an artifact? I mean it could just be a pin or something way bigger but still it seems more fun?
  • I think the problem isn't with presents as such, but that they reworked the wheel so that there is a high base chance at getting goop, plus a chance to get a reward from a present, which is also mostly goop. This just leads to everything being goop.
  • QistrelQistrel the hemisemidemifink
    I require more goop.

• Why does buying three together cost slightly more than buying three separately?

It would be nice if they had a pack of five as the extra perks kick in when you buy five
  • LavinyaLavinya Queen of Snark Australia
    Seconding a request for a 5 pack!

• What did the artifact do last year?

Just some minor feed back in general - promos here often seem to assume players have been playing for a while. Is there a scroll for new players about promo items? Some are hard to evaluate to gauge if they are something I want. 
  • edited December 2016
    HELP SOLSTICEARTIFACTS

Originally released as a Solstice promotion, the Peppermint and Coal artifacts 
    are created by binding pieces together.

- To create your artifacts, use PEPPERMINT SHAPE or COAL SHAPE.

- You can use a total of up to five peppermint or coal to add additional
    powers to your artifact (listed below). PEPPERMINT FUSE or COAL FUSE to
    add these powers. Each level has its own unique descriptions.

- Most powers are usable once per in-game month, with the exception of
    the DIG power for the coal artifact.

- Coal and peppermint pieces can be traded using the following syntax:
       <COAL|PEPPERMINT> TRADE TO <person> FOR <credits>

Peppermint Powers:
    - Level 1 (a fragrant stick of peppermint candy):
       PEPPERMINT ACTIVATE EGOBUFF - grants 2/6 ego buff for 1 hour.
    - Level 2 (a tasty rod coated in chunks of peppermint candy):
       PEPPERMINT ACTIVATE MANABUFF - grants 2/6 mana buff for 1 hour.
    - Level 3 (a delicious cane of peppermint candy):
       PEPPERMINT ACTIVATE HEALTHBUFF - grants 2/6 health buff for 1 hour.
    - Level 4 (an appetising staff of peppermint candy):
       PEPPERMINT ACTIVATE RESISTBUFF - grants 2/6 universal resistance buff
       for 1 hour.
    - Level 5 (a delectable pole of peppermint candy):
       PEPPERMINT ACTIVATE TRUEHEAL <target> - Performs the equivalent of
       Sacraments on a target other than the user for 5 power.

Coal Powers:
    - Level 1 (a sturdy coal trowel):
       DIG - Halves balance time on all digging, allows digging without a
       shovel.
    - Level 2 (a robust coal spade):
       LAY PIT <dir> - Lays a pit trap in the specified direction. Trackers
       with the ability to lay pit traps normally will instead be able to lay
       all pit traps without commodities. Traps created using this effect will
       not return commodities when disarmed.
    - Level 3 (a clockwork coal drill):
       COAL ACTIVATE EARTHQUAKE - Stun and knockdown on all enemies in room,
       usable at ground elevation only.
    - Level 4 (a versatile coal mattock):
       COAL ACTIVATE DAMAGEBUFF - grants 2/6 universal damage buff for 1 hour.
    - Level 5 (a miniature coal bin):
       COAL ACTIVATE VEIL - Performs the equivalent of STEALTH VEIL for 5
       power.
    Take great care of yourselves and each other.
  • Oh thanks! Artifacts in Lusty are a bit more complex than I'm used to. So many various scrolls.
  • QistrelQistrel the hemisemidemifink
    I find the goop useful even though there's nothing goop I actually want, I can still convert most of it into dingbats for stuff I want.

• RiviusRivius Your resident wolf puppy
    Goop isn't bad, but I do wish we'd add some more goop items. I've basically got all the goop things I want at this point. 

Would recommend also continuing to release artis that are completely reimagined in their goop versions (e.g. just like how you made spectacles of clairvoyance into necklaces).
  • More of the trade artis too!

Avurekhos says, "Dylara's a PvP menace in my eyes, totes rekting face."

The eye of Dylara materialises in your hands and flings itself around your neck, tightening incomprehensibly until it is irremovable.
    Perfectly clean, this eyeball has been wrenched from the socket of Dylara. It has been animated by some unusual force, constantly looking around itself as if in shock or fear. It is bathed in a light covering of white flames that roll endlessly over its surface. A single chain of empyreal metal pierces either side of the eye, allowing it to be worn around the neck.

• I just want to echo the sentiment of the OP, most emphatically. 97% of what comes out of those stockings is going to end up as goop. That's awesome for people who want goop. It's far less awesome for people who like the thrill of riding the RNG bareback through moonlit woodlands. There are those of us who exist. Please, Godmin, find a way to take our money.
  • I'd like a way to form old promotion items like sigil runes and gnewpies with goop.
  • The wheel in other IREs feels way more exciting.
  • So stockings this year are curios I can buy IG, goop, more goop, and either more goop or a ticket I will probably lose on. I will just hold out for solstice crates again. Spinning 150 coins and getting nothing but goop, and unwrapping 15 presents and getting more goop doesn't fill me with much hope that spinning 2 coins and unwrapping 1 present will fair any better.
  • Tbf (and part of the same problem) solstice crates are also either a ton of goop, a ton of goop, a bit less goop or a small amount of dingbats.
  • Oh I know that, but I feel they are a better value than stockings.
  • RiviusRivius Your resident wolf puppy
    Well, the big draw of the stockings is the possibility of forming the new coal/peppermint artifacts. Depending on how good they are, it might be worth the price. For instance, I'm pretty happy with my coal artifact, since I don't have to worry about commodities when laying pits, and it sure made Dramube a lot more bearable. If the new artis offer a nice QoL thing that I can benefit from, I would be tempted.
  • Well, I wasn't around for stockings last year and I have a full peppermint and coal arti, so not to worried about needing them from stockings. Really I would be more interested in buying stockings if I knew what the new artifacts were going to do.
  • Demartel said:
    Well, I wasn't around for stockings last year and I have a full peppermint and coal arti, so not to worried about needing them from stockings. Really I would be more interested in buying stockings if I knew what the new artifacts were going to do.
    Right. The smart way of getting a full peppermint artefact is /not/ buying 25 stockings, it's buying the pieces off anybody who bought 5 for they buddies.
  • The only reason there was an abundance of coal/peppermint was because a couple of months later there was an iron coin promo that flooded the market. Immediately following the release of the artifacts there were actually not enough to go around.